Monarch Student XXIII - Hammurabi

Ai Shizuka

King
I'm kinda bored with Civ 4 lately and the last MS games didn't have much attention, so I'm going from weekly games to bi-weekly games.
They are still getting the usual # of downloads, but less and less reports every time.

It takes 10 minutes to host this thing, so I'll keep it up. But it kinda defeats the purpose of a public game if people simply download the save and don't report anything.
Oh well.

As always I pick the new leader by traits and Org/Agg are some of the least played traits in the MS games. So it's Hammurabi's turn.

His UU is an archer with an extra 50% vs melee units. Usually ranked among the worst UUs and I personally agree. There's simply no reason to build this thing if Cu is available.

The UU is a Colosseum with 2 extra :health: . Not bad, not amazing. Extra health is always useful in the industrial era.

The start.

Barbs on, events off. Works fine on every level above Monarch.
Any problem with the save, let me know.

Attachments

• Monarch Student XXIII - Hammurabi.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 129
Any problem with the save, let me know.

As a *Student* of Monarch I love your series. Though, I DO have trouble with the save. I can't load it up. Do you just click on it, or is it zipped? If I can get the save to work, I'll tune in frequently!:)

The save is in a zip file. So, just use whatever program you have to unzip files and then double click on the save. That seems to work for me.

AI, I did shadow your last one, but unfortunately, after I destroyed Stalin, there wasn't very much to do with Tokugawa as a neighbour and I sort of got bored. But, lately I've been starting a bunch of games that I never end up finishing no matter how well I'm doing.

@ AShizuka
Spoiler :
It helps if you would screen the game you are posting as well. I know it's an easy level but this map really blows. I'd imagine people aspiring to win at Monarch will have difficulties.

I'll definitely give it a shot, but I just started summer classes so my free time is limited.
Off the top of my head, 1NE? Fresh water, still get access to the clam and rice. And you can put a city on the hills NW of the warrior if there turns out to be something good hiding in those plains/grassland he's by.

Downloaded, and will report back on progress.

Re the save, I have come across a barb city with warriors, rather than archers. Is this normal for MS games?

Bowmen used to be my favorite unit I thought the offensive bonuses stacked upon the archers immediate defensive abilities was exceptional.. but later came to realize archery is a dead end technology and that really puts you behind in higher level AI.

Bowmen used to be my favorite unit I thought the offensive bonuses stacked upon the archers immediate defensive abilities was exceptional.. but later came to realize archery is a dead end technology and that really puts you behind in higher level AI.

It can lock out the warmongers cost-effectively if you need it though. IF you need it. Settle a hill city next to monty or shaka, and you won't need much other than a handful of archers to keep them away from some time when they declare.

Crusher:

Spoiler :
Really? I thought it wasn't an hard map. I mean, there's not much land to expand but the neighbors are wimps and we have elephants.
Still enough room for 6 cities and 2-3 are very strong.
I've played to 0AD at immortal and was in a pretty strong position.

Oh well, I'll play the whole thing and see what happens.

Sawney Bean: I don't know. Actually I've never completely understood how barb cities work. The "base" save is generated at Monarch, so they have archery. And most of the times they have archers in their cities. Still sometimes barb cities are defended by warriors.

Immortal/epic, 10 AD:

Spoiler :

I had to self-research alphabet after aesthetics. Only Hannibal had it and wasn't willing to trade.

Tehs: mysticism (hut) - mining - bw - fishing - pottery - writing - aesthetics - alpha - mass trades with Wang and Huayna: hunting, masonry, meditation, polytheism, sailing, AH, IW, math and priesthood - currency - monarchy (Wang) - CoL - researching CS

huts: mysticism and 72 gold

900 BC Huayna declared vs Hannibal and Hannibal bribed Pacal.

Empire at 10 AD:

Capital. Second GS underway to bulb philo, then I'll switch to full cottages.

Techs:

Diplo:

Both Wang and Huayna will be friendly very soon with religion and fav civic, so I can freely afford this kind of trades.

Ever had tanks vs rifles?

As the civ with the rifles?

That's how this one went for me. The ridiculously comical thing is...

I won anyway.

Immortal/Normal

1880's diplomation.

To 75 AD.

Spoiler :

We start off on a good note after settling in place, river commerce + seafood makes an oracle shot very easy. I could have gone CoL but when I noticed wang nearby I realized alpha this early in the game would let me backfill for ironworking and probably monarchy, allowing me to rush without making a major concession on early tech rate. So I thought.

Swing the swords...

And nobody likes him. So I can just declare/cease fire as I feel like. The gem city below was an easy block by the way.

Stick and move!

The Rest.

Spoiler :

Cut into pacal with elephants/cats then got some treb/knight/mace reinforcement. Since HC was nearing infantry I decided to at least get cannons. I got all the way down to machu pichu with just muskets and cannons, but took heavy losses toward the end vs the infantry (among machine guns, tanks, fighters, etc). I took a peace treaty and a minor tech to get to rifling, and that was my game tech for the rest of the continent, through tanks and all for cuzco and the end of any hopes for culture for HC. I captured the AP along the way, the UN forced FR, and I had vassals and the vast majority of the AP religion, so I took it.

Cyrus was still a while back from space, so I could have slogged up to infantry/arty/transports and just bridge-hopped over to him, grinding a very, very long war (which would be fine in police state) until I had enough for domination or UN, but screw that.

There are two lessons learned here:

1. If you can keep your siege from being flanked, you're in good shape.
2. "With cannons, you can."

Crusher:

Spoiler :
Really? I thought it wasn't an hard map. I mean, there's not much land to expand but the neighbors are wimps and we have elephants.
Still enough room for 6 cities and 2-3 are very strong.
I've played to 0AD at immortal and was in a pretty strong position.

Oh well, I'll play the whole thing and see what happens.

Sawney Bean: I don't know. Actually I've never completely understood how barb cities work. The "base" save is generated at Monarch, so they have archery. And most of the times they have archers in their cities. Still sometimes barb cities are defended by warriors.

Barbs lose their starting techs when saves are patched over to WB format ----> notice in the text edit section there is no barbarian team defined. The only known way to have barbs w/ archery is to have players that want that manually add them at game start. Note that if you're playing much above monarch the barbs will pick up archery very fast (3% per civ that knows it ---> instantly 18% w/o player input) so only very early barb cities will be garrisoned by warriors.

@Ai Suzuka Just a word of support. This thread is kind of what makes Civfanatics an unmatched resource. It does EXACTLY what some of us need: school us in this particular Prince-->Monarch level up. :clap:

Now as a result it will not get the same traffic as something with a wider appeal (say Nobles Club). But it's just too cool. Please keep it up for at least another round. :goodjob:

This particular leader, for the reasons you note, is not the best choice for me as I have yet to win a Monarch game. But I will play and post on a prior edition of Monarch Student. I was thinking Jao, but I'm flex if there is any preference. Huayna Capac looks accessible...

If after say another round or so, we need a host for this thread, I could step up, with full disclaimers for being a bit of perma-noob in some respects. Perhaps you could set up the map and I could take it from there, following the format. Just a thought. The main thing is not to let a fine thing perish.

I thought the Monarch Student series filled a much needed gap as well. It seems a little more quiet than usual around here - probably due to summer holidays and whatever... and people just being out and about more than trapped inside playing Civ.

See if it picks up again in the next week or two. Start a "Monarch Student Bullpen" thread to see if there's anyone around who's interested in a game and what leaders people want. All you really need are 3 or 4 people who are committed to playing/posting to the end whatever the result. If you get more than that great.

In my experience the host pretty much has to know the map (best if he's played it really) to make a good game. Sometimes someone's played a good offline game that they can send in for a Monarch Student. That happened in the early days. Otherwise, play a few offline games yourself and see if you get a good one. Or mod some maps and see how they play out. That's really the best way.

I really hope the series doesn't die off. I.E. I need it.

Joao II Is good for rexing and seafaring aspects. A rex that available means take a good supervision of your economy often. I wonder if we could do an archipalego... If I spelled that right? And select the leaders Ragnar, Willem, and Japan.

He hasn't posted in a while. IMO if you want to host the next MS go for it. There's a guide in my sig if you need help setting that up ;).

I used it an look how terrible I messed up Nobles Club XXXII. ;) Unfortunately, the guide can't protect against things like having two versions of the wb file open and saving half the changes in one and half in another. :hammer2: The guide is pretty good although I don't think it makes a wb file that scales 100% accurate with different diff levels...and I believe that's why r_rolo1 uses 3 separate wb files for LHC series.

If someone else doesn't host MS series soon, I'll probably host a couple.

cas

If anyone wants to keep hosting MS games, be my guest.
The series used to have a decent group of regulars, but it kind of died off at some point. Wich isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means that said little bunch of regulars moved to higher levels.

I stopped hosting these games because I got bored with civ 4 AND the series died at the same time. The # of downloads has been pretty much consistent over the whole series, but there's been less and less reports on each new installment. Totally defeats the purpose of a forum game, if you ask me.

So, to sum it up. I don't feel I have any kind of commitment with the MS series. It started as an experiment, it took off with a nice group of regulars and then it died. Most of those regulars (myself included, until I got bored with civ4 altogether) now play Immortal.

But there is a gap in forum games between the NC games and the IU.
Hosting these isn't hard. It takes 10 minutes. Just look at TMIT's guide to fix the WB save and you are done. After a couple of games you don't even have to think about it.

So, whoever wants to keep hosting MS games, go for it. The list is in my signature.

Heh, I now play Emperor! :D

Well it's not actually thanks to MS, but at least you helped others head up.

Perhaps if viewership is dwindling, it's be probably better for the series with more popular leaders that learning players feel they can win as (except Inca), even if they've been used already.

May I host? I have the time and TMIT's guide. :lol:

I used it an look how terrible I messed up Nobles Club XXXII. ;) Unfortunately, the guide can't protect against things like having two versions of the wb file open and saving half the changes in one and half in another. :hammer2: The guide is pretty good although I don't think it makes a wb file that scales 100% accurate with different diff levels...and I believe that's why r_rolo1 uses 3 separate wb files for LHC series.

If someone else doesn't host MS series soon, I'll probably host a couple.

cas

If you add the techs and wipe the starting units, it will scale otherwise. However, that will also cause the starting warrior/scout to appear in different places for the human, so you have to leave the human beginunits in.

But wiping the begin unit line and adding level-appropriate starting techs will get you very, very close. Playing deity with monarch techs but units wiped still gives them their extra settler and all their starting units for example, it just doesn't give them the extra techs.

Top Bottom