Lonely Hearts Club, BtS Edition, Chapter L: Genghis Khan

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 50th edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 50th game in BTS the chosen leader was Genghis Khan of the Mongols:
Spoiler :

Genghis of the Mongols is most likely one of the best leaders you can have if you want to romp war in a standart sized Pangea with pre-catapult units, if you have the luck of having horses nearby, that is... The traits ( Agg/Imp ) and the UU/UB combo were definitely designed for relenteless warfare as long as you can take, even more than his RL grandson. That also means that playing a game without early warfare with Genghis, like in here, means that you have little of few to play with, except maybe the faster settlers... well, atleast it will be interesting ;)

His UU
Spoiler :

Keshiks are a boosted horse archer with 3 moves per turn... That makes them brutal war beasts in pangea maps ( the extra speed clearly makes a big diference ... AI is not good dealing with extra speed units ). In isolation they simply are useless: too late and too overkill for barb hunting ,too soon and weak for later anti-AI action. Besides the capturing of a barb city , I don't see much use of them in here....
Oh, and they have a 1st strike...

His UB
Spoiler :

The Ger is a boosted Stable that gives extra XP to mounted units. It has a strong synergy with the mongol UU ( besides boosting in XP a UU, it also comes with the same tech ) and because of that it will be of limited usefulness in here atleast until cuiraseers and cavalry.

The start (Thanks to DanF for the solution of the unit change of place ;) .... The warrior/scout should appear always in the same place from now on, really :p ):
Spoiler :

Well, 3 seafood ,for a civ that starts with Wheel/Hunting ... :wallbash: But it is definitely a very decent coastal start, with enough woods to chop and even a nice marble plains hill in the first ring and a corn too... there are some hills to the south too ( grass hills ).... A very decent start, I would say ( far more fitting to a Ind leader :D but who cares )

Regarding the saves ( if you're using DanF change to the WB files load, skip this ): given some complaints about the efects of the AI starting without archery in high levels ( giving a unfair advantage to AI that have early UU and/or have early warmongering tendencies ), I decided to make 3 WB saves ( all in the same zip file ). The WB saves are equal except for the fact that one of them ( labeled Monarch ) has all of the AI with archery as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Monarch ), one ( labeled Immortal ) has all of the AI with archery,hunting and agriculture as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Immortal ) while the last is the corresponding to a game starting in Noble ( labeled Noble ). All WB saves are playable in all levels, but ( for a example ) if you use the Monarch one the AI will start with archery ( and archers ) in any level. This has only a slight effect in the human directly ( mainly via the garrisons of barb cities ), but has a huge effect on the AI gaming in the outer lands ( avoiding scenarios like Pacal, Shaka or Sitting Bull to take all the barb cities and becoming moguls ). I strongly recommend the usage of the Monarch save if you want to play in Monarch+ and the Immortal at Immortal/Deity.... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) The saves are zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.

Any problem PM me...

P.S WB saves are crosscompatible between 3.13 ( and earlier ) and 3.17 ( and later ) if they don't have No Espionage ticked. No problem with the patches here :p And as WB saves are no more than text files and Vanilla and Warlords WB are almost equal, you can play this if you exchange the non-Vanilla ( or non-warlords ) stuff ( in here it will be only leaders and civs eventually )

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC L ( Genghis Khan ).zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 287
Full report to come later but consider the spoiler comments here as checkpoint 3.

Immortal/normal no events.

Spoiler :

It's 1900 AD and I am finishing up the first war - saladin. Sal was #1 in score and very close in pop with justinian and de gaulle. I managed ToA and TGL/national epic in capitol but fell flat otherwise. Lots of cottaging, very backwards when meeting the AIs.

I never caught up.

I was able to make a couple trades with the worst AIs (SB and sully), was able to stay out of bad war trouble. I wheezed to assembly line and finally flight in the early 1800's where I turned the slider off and went a hybrid (some hammer/factory cities, more cottages/gold cities) rush buy.

I have 2 major troops to control land: fighters and infantry. Sea units are destroyers, transports, carriers.

About 30 fighters in point force on carriers and more in cities as taken. I've taken sal's western cities including some inland ones and mecca...even though he has tanks, mobile SAMs, mech inf. after the first 2 cities...the works.

Didn't matter. Just before I went after him I gave him about 8k gold to declare on justinian. They did each other some damage and I swept for capitulation. From here I'll target justinian and his cap vassal monty, then probably SB. Sully is voluntary vassal to de gaulle, SB is weak. If I can actually beat justinian I will probably win, since sully built the UN and is going culture but SLOWLY due to only having 4 cities. If I need to I'll just burn istanbul but I might take UN or possibly dom/conquest before even needing that. We'll see.

Grabbing score leader sal felt good, and justinian is definitely a land target. My air power is good and infantry are good all-purpose troops otherwise...let's hope.

Regardless, this will go until after 1950 AD!

TMIT, you can do a nice report and post on the other thread where you're discussing the OPness of nukes :p

On the map:
Spoiler :
I'm finding it a little too much land... force of habit maybe :D. But it is a good map to dotmap practice, most surely, especially because of the lack of a obvious 2nd city spot, I guess.....

Very nice start location ....

Poor Civ for an Isolated start with that location though lol.

I'll give it a try because it has lots of food and marble.

Check point 1
Check point 2

Nice start, 3 sea food, corn, irrigated post Civil service, Marble on a hill for an extra hammer.

I think I have my Heroic epic city/ Iron works city, unless something else jumps out.

Rolo:
Spoiler :
'Ola, Spelling error with Standart (needs a d at end) in paragraph after 1st spoiler, and Keshiks only have 2 moves but ignore terrain, for movement.

Thanks for this series and hosting Rolo, I really do appreciate it, and am only tying to help you with a 2nd language.

This game I may just try a conquest, Yeah why not. I know it easier at Marathon, that's why I generally like to try for space, but I have lots of time, and need to fill it in somehow, besides I can't make decisions quickly, and tend to play too fast at normal speed.

Genghis Khan thinks 'BEYOND THE SWORD'

Check point 1​

The Great Khan, having been Exiled to the lonely island nation. Plots his revenge against those who would seek to exclude him for the leadership of other nations.

As with all great Empires, this one has a humble beginning.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The Great Khan, Temujin is pleased with the lands. Food, health, grasslands and rivers to power his civilization. He settles in place, it will take nearly 6 Millennium to bring his plans to Fruition, but sweet they shall be at ripening.

Spoiler :

Tech's to research are Fishing, while building a worker, then work boat x 2 once in (Clams, Fish), Agriculture, Mining, Sailing Masonry, Bronze working. Scouts are recruited and sent out into the wilds to fully survey the Future lands. Much work is needed to be done, the bounty of the Oceans needs to be harvested, the land tamed and tailored to suit the needs of the populace.

3715 BC Our scout, healing on a forested hilltop, loses to a Panther at 22% attacking odds :mad: Just great, scout now with boat about coast, and send out a warrior I guess.

2995 BC Mining is now in, I move my worker to mine the Marble initially, as I have to research sailing/ Masonry as yet, for +2 hammer, building a 2nd worker at size 1, while scouting with my work boat. We have a HUGE island mass to the North of us, within Galley range, large enough for 5 cities possibly, but I've planned 4, subject to resources found.

The Island is to the Northern section of the map, so shouldn't be a beacon for AI attacks, our main land mass, will be the Beacon I feel, Geographically closest to them, but I'll be proved wrong for sure now I've said that.

2515 BC I get the Health event, at pop 2 :gripe:, could have been pop 1,

Spoiler :

I take up the options for a result of
Spoiler :

+2 health, and NO DEATHS (usually seems like I kill them off more than 50% of time), Building warriors now, to pop 5, then lighthouse, Great Lighthouse.

2240 BC Temujin has now mapped out the main island in full, and circumnavigated the Island to the north, I've planned 4 cities in the north, subject to resources.

Spoiler :

Set out the main land, again subject to resources. Planning to move the capital to the middle of the Main Island, in centre or Island mass.

Spoiler :

The southern part of lands, seems to contain lots of Desert, plains no great city sites jump out, this will be settled last.

Spoiler :

1st settlement will be the 3 green cities about Karakorum, My Heroic Epic city, then the Yellow on the northern island mass, then Cyan on main land mass and finally red. The white city, is going to be Iron works with 13 Levy enabled tiles.

Temujin is Pleased with the Survey results, much will be made of this land, the MONGOLS SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!

Continued in Check point 2

TMIT, you can do a nice report and post on the other thread where you're discussing the OPness of nukes :p

On the map:
Spoiler :
I'm finding it a little too much land... force of habit maybe :D. But it is a good map to dotmap practice, most surely, especially because of the lack of a obvious 2nd city spot, I guess.....

Isn't one sample game posted there enough :sad:?

Edit on 2nd city:

Spoiler :

I decided to share some seafood with the hill city to the east, so that I could get IMP bonuses working mines and still make use of other food for workers. Although I'm not known for micro I'm absolutely willing to do early game tile-swapping if I think it will help.

And yes, this seemed like way more land than usual. Even though 2 AIs got that much land peacefully.

The is probably the most terrible game I ever won on immortal

IMM/Normal no events

1948 bass ackward backdoor UN diplo about 6 turns before losing space.

Spoiler :

The AI pulls an odd oracle slingshot...at least odd for the AI.

Wonders.

Meeting the AI isn't pretty.

As I mentioned in the short summary, I never caught up. ever. So I just spammed the hell out of infantry/fighter and hoped for the best. Truth be told, it's fine until mobile arty and modern armor shows up. But they showed up...

However, I did have one itty bitty trick up my sleeve just yet...bribing 2 of the top 3 AIs to war.

Sharpen the knife for an EPIC :backstab:.

Grinding through city after city, until

Justinian is next.

This war. How do I put it. This war was hell. He had every military tech in existence. ALL of them. And a good army. And monty send the stack through him to hit me instead of sal. His capitol was so jam packed with units that I had to take cities in a ring around it to open up more slots to hit him with fighters. Even then the cap took heavy casualties. Meanwhile de gaulle gets internet and is teching away...

I just barely cut justinian enough that monty can break free. Monty does break free. I take a cease fire with monty, and de gaulle only has composites left to go! But I catch a break, apparently I did enough damage that with sal's border help

UN is my only hope. De gaulle has manhattan project and is stronger than me, justinian, or sal. No way I can get to his capitol w/o being nuked to hell (UN even voted non-prolif down...)

So I gift the top 2 cities back to justinian, restoring his borders with sitting bull. I declare war on sitting bull with my navy parked in justinians city (along with EVERY infantry on the continent I could scrape up) I sink a bunch of ships w/ no losses due to the fighter spam. I also kill about 10 inbound units with infantry + fighters. Also no losses. I'm getting ready to take a city, but the power disparity and land target took hold.

But whoops, this bug wasn't fixed, and despite the fact that SB has his turn AFTER mine in SP, and that he's my vassal...

And then it happens.

Just one tiny problem for De Gaulle: the secretary general election was not next, so I had one more try...

They all count as wins. Maybe I should skip the gay wonders and start increasing the cottage turns sooner. Settling scientists didn't help. I suppose I could have tried to bulb astro too, but with all the land cottaging it sooner would have made sense. It also would have allowed me to hit a couple guys w/o flight while I had it. I'm sure that the variance in the difficulty of the wars would be a little...drastic...even if I just wound up at parity or a SLIGHT tech hole.

But ultimately, I tripped a victory condition first. Painful as it was, at least I didn't lose :mischief:.

Well, after a long time of not playing any of these, it's time to try again. Prince/Marathon (Monarch seems to be just a little bit too high right now when I'm isolated)

Checkpoint 2:

Spoiler :
Early strategy ideas: Genghis is an obvious warmonger. He can go for cavalry (UU/UB) or normal infantry (Aggressive). Unfortunately, no early war here. Definitely going for an aggressive strategy if possible, though, likely using cavalry because that just feels right when you're playing the Mongols.

-Early scouting shows a large island to settle, plus a landmass to the north. I decide to go for The Great Lighthouse and set up a lot of trade routes. My second city, however, is inland, settling on the lake to get fresh water and two gems, which will make it a crazy commerce city.

-Tech path is pretty much my standard Confucianism path in isolation: Writing-Mathematics-Currency-Code of Laws. Because this gets Mathematics pretty early, I build the Hanging Gardens in Karakorum. I get a Great Merchant, bulb Metal Casting and build the Colossus for more watery goodness. I prioritise Civil Service, as the capital is a great production site. Imperialistic makes for some easy Settler production, and I expand at a reasonable pace (not as quick as I should, but quick enough, I guess). The northern island is mapped out as well. I conquer a barbarian city which was exactly on my dotmap and raze one on the northern island, even though it was large in size (it just didn't fit. It's a long-term gain with a short-term loss, so I'm not sure it was the right call). Dotmap:

Spoiler :

Yeah, I know it's pretty far in. I changed my mind on the green spot. I felt this one was better.

-Turn 597 I meet the first opponent, Sitting Bull. I open borders. While I realise this may cause Worst Enemy Trading diplomacy problems, fact is that because Sitting Bull discovered me, he is likely one of the leading AIs. I don't want him to stop opening borders with me because of religious problems.

-Turn 603 SB proves the world is round. Expected. I was just a little bit too late with starting on Optics, as my Caravels are now sailing around as well.

-The Caravel I sent westwards meet the Ottoman Empire in turn 605. Suleiman doesn't have a religion, which is great for me. I Open Borders immediately and trade Theology and Compass, two techs SB has but Suleiman doesn't, for Alphabet, Horseback Riding and Aesthetics. His map shows he's on an island with a fairly large French Empire.

-Bad news on turn 607. I meet Justinian, who is a lot bigger, score-wise, than Sitting Bull and I, who are about equal. SB's map is now a lot cheaper, so I trade for it and see his island. Justinian is by far the largest. Sitting Bull and Saladin are looking pretty good, and Montezuma is boxed in and limited to three cities. Religious nutcase alert is going off pretty badly here. No apparent captured cities though, which is pretty weird. Diplomacy is going to be hell here. I also meet the last AI, De Gaulle. He's angry because I traded with Suleiman. Could've known that. Meh, as long as I get to Astronomy first, Confucianism will spread to their little island and I'll be fine.

Going to see if I can finish this game today, otherwise it'll take some time, as I'm going on vacation for a week.

:bump: Back to the front of mind, and 1st page of Forum.

Genghis Khan thinks 'BEYOND THE SWORD'

Check point 2​

Continuing on from Check point 1

Spoiler :

I build the Great Lighthouse, I've also lost 1 fog busting warrior to a dual barb archer attack.

Spoiler :

Now I'm looking to build the Oracle, and as such, I'll quarry the Marble now.

1550 BC The Oracle just went, and Stonehenge nor the Great wall has been built as yet...not another Bizzaro civ game.

I now change my research to Archery, then pottery/Writing. In the 1400's BC both Stonehenge and the Great wall were built, but the Oracle 1st...:dubious:

750 BC I get both a barb galley from the north, and flooding in capital city, which as it has no buildings, loses a citizen at 2 pop...Great, mostly its lose forge, granary etc.

Spoiler :

160 BC I get a great merchant, I bulb Metal casting with it, saving 95 turns, and allowing Trireme's, which I need with barb galley's allover.

Need to pump settlers out of a city and settle that island, NOW!!!

I left the game for a week or so, near enough to 2 weeks, back now, tried a different track, doing better, about to settle city No 18.

1115 AD I meet De Gaul

Spoiler :

and his Vassal, Nothings changed (sigh)

Spoiler :

Looks like I'm going to go late game war, got no real hope of Circumnavigation bonus, this late to meet them, looking better I hope.

I have 4 cities on the Northern land mass, and yes, I know that incurs Maintenance Penalties. Maybe I should spin off a vassal?? Hmm helps with research, Need Feudalism though.

Just had a spate of Great Generals being born as well, with one dying in combat, aggressive civ's.??

1150 AD I come across Sitting bull in all his Majesty, Hindu as opposed to Buddhist De Gaul.

Spoiler :

As well I do a round of Whipping buildings, mainly Harbours to gain the +50% Trade route yield, as I'm yielding +2 at moment, that's +4 gold/Harbour/?City. :woohoo:

1160 AD I Settle city No 18, and am only teching Civil Service. Looks like another long climb back into contention, and De Gaul and Sitting Bull are both at war and each others worst enemies.

1235 AD I do a round of Whipping, allow that to flow though, then do a double civic's switch to Caste System and Bureaucracy. I've moved my capital to the central green land of the Island with 2 Gem mines and have popped a 3rd Gem mine in its BFC, I've also popped silver in Karakorum's BFC as well. This switch, should put a fire under my beaker generation, as I currently have ½ of my cities on building wealth.

I decide to wait for 9 turns and research Hereditary rule, for a triple swap and 5 turns of anarchy, as opposed to 4 or 3 for 1 civic.

1255 AD I Meet the Arabian Knight's, or more precisely;

Saladin

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

and his TWO VASSALS

Looks like its 3 blocks at Loggerheads with each other, De Gaul in on corner, Sitting Bull in another, and whom Saladin has had a bite out of, and Saladin in the 3rd corner. This will make for some Triangle Diplomacy.

Tech situation so far is

Spoiler :

Not looking so bad really, I want Monarchy, triple civic's swap,and beeline Liberalism for Astronomy if I'm able.

And so ends the Quest of Temujin, Further notes on his deeds will be contained in Check point 3, the Quest of the Horse lords.

immortal/normal/random_events:ON
check point 1:
Spoiler :
i started with fishing and a settler. got lucky with a few huts (archery, sailing, mysticism) and random events (black pearls, +1:gold: on clam tile). then, i made a beeline for monotheism and was able to nab judaism. after hooking up marble, i was able to chop the oracle for monarchy in my second city after building a worker and two archers. my first city went settler, workboat times three, worker, temple of artemis.
it took a long time to get to iron working; i was unable to work either gems because of jungle encroachment, which probably slowed down my early research quite a bit. agriculture, pottery and writing came way late.

the ai seems rather backward. the only wonders built are the great wall and stonehenge, and only the first three religions have been founded.

i'm trying to decide which tech path to take. either aesthetics and literature for the great library, but i'm leaning towards machinery and optics so that i can get off this jungle-covered rock. if i get a great merchant, should i use it to bulb metal casting to hurry up the lower tech-path?

after i finish the lighthouse in the capitol, i'm going to try for the great lighthouse. then it's more workers and some swords to take the barbarian cities.

Attachments

• Lonely Genghis BC-0700_checkpoint1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    128.3 KB · Views: 54
Emperor / Marathon - Checkpoint 1

Spoiler :
I am taking my time to settle the continent, I don't know if that will cost me. I granted independence to the northern island and it was Mao Zedong. I wish it were a techer... Anyhow, that raises my happy cap and will give me diplo hits. Already researched Agri, Mining, BW, IW, Pottery, Writing, Fishing (hut), Sailing. Currently researching Alphabet, then Currency and Code of Laws. I'm training a couple of workers that I'll give to Mao and I think I might settle the island for him. He's useless until now. Hopefully he will be able to research stuff for me.
The continent:

"China":

Thanks r_rolo1.

Emperor / Marathon - Checkpoint 2. Looking bad, looking very, very bad.

Spoiler :

I thought it was a brilliant idea to set up a colony that soon in the game. I had no idea of how bad my maintenance would become. I crashed after settling two more cities. Bleeding at 0% research and with no rainy day funds. Luckily I already had Alphabet and could build research, otherwise I would have lost it then. Moving the worked tiles around I avoided strike, but now I'm, maybe hopelessly, backwards. Good news is that Mao researched a couple of techs for me, such as Mathematics and Aesthetics. He's now working on Metal Casting. I got Currency and the situation improved a bit. After CoL the courthouses helped, but I had a hurricane event in my gems city so it made things even worse. I whipped/chopped the Forbidden Palace in Ning-Hsia and now I'm running 30% science and making only 68 :science:. In 6 turns I'll have Civil Service and things will get better because half of my research already comes from the capital anyway. I'll see if I get better results with binary research.

Suleiman is De Gaulle's vassal and both De Gaulle and Justinian have enough on their hands. Should they come for me and it's game over. If I make it through the dark times, I'll start using my traits and hit some people. Sitting Bull is the only one I have a tech on but he's De Gaulle's worst enemy so there's no way I'm trading with him.

In case anyone has some advice to offer, I'll appreciate it. Depending on how things go, I'll play the Vicky one on Monarch because isolation makes things harder...

Emperor / Marathon - Checkpoint 3. Looking a little better now.

Spoiler :

I was wrong in checkpoint 2 because I still hadn't met everyone then. After I went back to the game I met Montezuma, who capitulated to Justinian and Saladin. Apparently Sal doesn't like Justi very much.

I'm still very backwards, but I reached the cottage civics and have some reason to hope:

When those villages become towns I'll get some economy running. The problem is it might be already too late. De Gaulle has just completed the Pentagon and Justinian Broadway. I'm still researching Replaceable Parts.

I'm still not sure what VC I'll pursue. If I manage to get a Great Engineer, I'll rush to Railroad to found Mining Inc and go after the cool victories, like Domination, Conquest or Space. If I don't, I'll try culture. Four religions have spread to me and I'm spreading them around. Except for Sitting Bull everybody is pleased with me and that's a good thing because none of them declares at pleased. (Monty is a vassal, remember?) SB would only be a problem if he declared now because he's already falling behind. I just don't know what their real attitude is because there is Mao. His usefulness is about to expire. He's still researching some backfilling techs, like Music, but doesn't have an economy to keep up with the more advanced techs.

Mao almost got us into trouble. A religion spread to him and he converted. Immediately Saladin had enough on his hands. Fortunately Sal left WHEOOHRN mode, but I had to give Education and Liberalism to Mao so that he wouldn't get us into religious wars.

Tech situation:

No one has Biology. If I beeline it, I may get closer to parity. Maybe.

@ ignorant teacher
Spoiler :
NO ONE has Astronomy, and as such they can't touch you. Of course they can and do plan war with NO WAY TO REACH YOU... MAJOR BUG O.K. it really irks me that.

No one has paper, set research to Education/Astronomy get the bonuses from universities/Astronomies.

see my game I'm later date, worse situation in some respects, not willing to set up a vassal, as New Sari in your game is my designated Science city, along with Capital city under Bureaucracy. I've put the 2 gems (now 3 due to a pop) in Capital city, under Bureaucracy. Defense I have Warriors, a few archers and a sword or 3 for barb killing (now over with).

I have 6 civ's remianing, 2 vassaled to 1 civ, and De Gaul and Suleiman as the other.

Get moving, Vassal is a mistake so early, why take the chance of -ve diplomatic points.

WHY??? I know happy/research etc, but suck it up, your isolated.

Emperor / Marathon - Checkpoint 3 and a half. The antivirus started a scan so I'll wait for it to fininsh to continue the game.

Spoiler :

The beelining to Biology saved my skin. I wasn't the first one to get there, but I traded it for Steam Power, Steel, Military Science, Theocracy and about 2000 gold. A while later I reached Medicine, but Justinian was 1 turn away so all I got for it was Rifling and 380 gold. I could have gotten Physics from De Gaulle, but he was Justinian's worst enemy then. The Bizantines have vassalized Arabia. Now the whole world (us included) is at war with Native America. I'm pretty sure Justinian will vassal SB and then go after De Gaulle. BTW, keeping Justinian pleased is something I'm having to work on because he demands a lot.

Good news is now we're making solid 1561:science: with a little loss. I managed to found Creative Constructions (got beaten to Mining Inc by Montezuma) and Sushi. Each of them is giving me 4 :food: or :hammers:. Modest you say? I agree, but that's what's keeping my cities from startving. I got the Coal Fuel event, you see, and now each Coal Plant gives extra 4:hammers: so I'm having some health issues.

Techs are looking a little better:

In case you haven't figured where I'm heading, there you go.
Spoiler :

If I manage to complete it, the Mongols will take a trip to Alpha Centauri. I started building a modern army now because I think Justinian might be going to a Domination victory and he doesn't need to fight us to achieve it. I'm not letting them take the victory away from me. I mean, it's always nice going to space and stuff, but it feels a whole lot better when you do it with Genghis, Tokugawa or Boudica.

Mao hasn't been totally useless as I thought he would be. He researched Communism for us and is finishing Artillery.

Demographics (Justinian is the number one in everything):

The land:

@IPEX-731BA5DD06:

Spoiler :

I did exactly what you suggested. I got beaten to both techs, but the science boost was welcome. That's what allowed me beeline Biology and get to some sort of low rank tech parity.

I'm not sure what to think about the vassal issue. On one hand, it really slowed me down with the extra maintenance, but, on the other hand, it's what allowed me to research as if I had a functional empire. I really don't know how different it would be without having the communist in my pay roll.

Emperor / Marathon - Checkpoint 4. Defeat.

Spoiler :

Justinian ran out of control. I never reached more than 0.2 of his power. He destroyed Sitting Bull, vassalized De Gaulle and destroyed Suleiman. He controled the UN. He didn't call the diplo win vote in the two votes we had. He won domination. I built the Internet and the Space Elevator. I think I should have him payed to make peace with his enemies and I might have won. My science was alright and I could sabotage his projects. If it depended only on space, I would have won. But I lost.

@ Ignorant teacher
Spoiler :
I don't understand what your saying about the increased maintenance??, it should get cheaper once you spin off a vassal, no colony maintenance.

bad luck on losing to a domination victory, in my game I have Saladin, vassalising both Monty and Justinian, currently at war with Sitting bull. De Gaul doing what he does on the other continent.

Mine, I'm not spinning off a vassal, going the education/Astronomy route, Capital city will be the difference, as I've also popped a 3rd gems in its BFC.

2 science cities, I hope will offset the extra maintenance I'm incurring.

Probably won't play till this weekend or Friday. Playing poker online during week, :lol:

Top Bottom