Lutefisk Mafia

Inscrutable Enforcer
Realms of Kylorin
Release 1
for BTS 3.19

*** Patch "a" is also available below! ***

by Lutefisk Mafia
(Paul Bakken)

First of all, a huge thanks to the Fall from Heaven team! Without the use of the Age of Ice BTS mod as a core, I would never have finished this mod.

The Realms of Kylorin is mostly my attempt to port Sudoku games into Civ4.

As I was playing Age of Ice one day, listening to the music, the lyrics about dreams sparked an idea: What if I could create a side-story mod that takes place during the same time as the Age of Ice scenario – but have it take place in a dream realm created by Mulcarn to imprison Kylorin's consciousness?

Realms of Kylorin is the result.

The premise is that Kylorin's mind is trapped in the Dream Realms, which are an abstracted series of 3x3 “nations.” To break the spell and escape from Mulcarn's dream prison, Kylorin must consolidate the Realms into one Empire. He accomplishes this by riding around the map and creating improvements on all of the empty tiles in each Realm.

The rules of Sudoku apply: each 3x3 realm must contain one of each of the nine possible improvements. Moreover, no particular instance of an improvement can be directly in line (East, West, North or South) with any other instance of the same type of improvement. Each scenario starts with a few tiles already developed to give the player hints on how to complete the puzzle. These “starter” tiles are permanent and cannot be changed.

I have included a starter pack of scenarios for the mod. Each WB scenario is a separate Sudoku style puzzle. The naming convention on these is simple: RoK_DIFFICULTY_NUMBER

“RoK” is just an identify for Realms of Kylorin specific WB files.
“DIFFICULTY” can be EASY, NORM, or HARD
“NUMBER” just gives a unique designation to individual WB saves within a difficulty category.

For example:

RoK_EASY_001
RoK_HARD_023

I had fun making this mod. I hope you enjoy it, too!

Some pictures of the RoK_EASY_001 WB map:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

And the .zip file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ed141503b53935eb0c814df2efeadc50e04e75f6e8ebb871

Mirror site for download -- allegedly China friendly! ;)

http://www.filefront.com/14129493/Realms%20of%20Kylorin.zip

Simply unzip the file into your "Mods" folder, and then load the mod from the BTS "Advanced screen.

Patch a is available below. It should work to unzip it into the BTS "Mods" directory:

"Patch a" Release Information:

I decided to do a patch instead of full release -- better to download KBs than MBs!

Patch "a" contains these changes:

1. Implemented improvement hotkeys as suggested by PieceOfMind. The function keys F1 through F9 now place the improvements. F10 clears the tile. F11 still does global zoom in and out. F12 still accesses Civilopedia.
2. Got rid of all of the popup stats that appear at the end of the game. (Thanks to General Tso for the pointer on this one!)
3. Removed the rest of the advisor screens and buttons -- they had little value in this mod, anyway!
4. Victory text now correctly refers to Epona as Kylorin's wife, not just an ally. (Good catch TC01!)
5. Fallout is still persistent at the end of a turn. In the meantime, if you really want Fallout to disappear at the end of turns, edit your FeatureInfos.xml file under the heading of FEATURE_FALLOUT. Change the line that reads:
Code:
<iDisappearance>0</iDisappearance>
to
Code:
<iDisappearance>10000</iDisappearance>

Still working on for future releases:

1. Possible addition of improvement number tracker -- will provide an on-screen tracker of how many of each improvement type are currently on the map.
2. May implement a new difficulty level called "EVIL" for those of you who just aren't challenged enough. These are the Sudoku games that provide only 17 hints while maintaining an unique solution. Be afraid, be very afraid.
3. Add-on packs of levels!

Cool idea. is minesweeper next?

Looks good. Just wondering why this mod is so large, at 45MB for the download?

I had to include some arts, but also the music files. I could not be certain that everybody would be using the same paths for their BTS files, so it was not feasible to just link my art defs and music defs to the old Age of Ice scenario.

As always, it was a trade off between size and ease of installation/use.

Come to think of it, it might be possible to do a PAK build of the mod. That might shrink the size a bit. Have to look into that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Suggestion: Can you make the number keys 1 to 9 hotkeys for the 9 improvements?

Also, it would be nice IMO if the fallout faded at the end of the turn. I tried out the consolidation button too early and now most of the map is glowing!

I think you can increase the chance of fallout disappearing, but when I tried it it didn't work, so I'm not sure.

Suggestion: Can you make the number keys 1 to 9 hotkeys for the 9 improvements?

That is a really good idea! I will look into that. I remember seeing Keyboard binds in a control file somewhere....

Also, it would be nice IMO if the fallout faded at the end of the turn. I tried out the consolidation button too early and now most of the map is glowing!

I think you can increase the chance of fallout disappearing, but when I tried it it didn't work, so I'm not sure.

Yes, that can be done easily. I think that the code is still in the py file, I just have it commented out right now. I originally had the fallout disappear at the end of the turn like the fireballs, but decided to have it stick around as a visual guide to unfilled tiles.

But seriously, it can go either way. I will wait for additional feedback from the community about their preference and then implement it.

So how about it everyone? Fallout that stays intil you fill the tile with an improvement or Fallout that disappears when you hit the "end turn" button?

bah... I hate math...

Sudoku is NOT! math. It is a logic puzzle that involves use of numbers arranged in particular way to solve a puzzle.

No, I had not tried this mod yet but I do know Sudoku as it had been my doom on some days when I'm bored (namely, hours and hours working on them!) :lol:

Lute:

Code:
			<HotKey>KB_R</HotKey>
			<bAltDown>0</bAltDown>
			<bShiftDown>0</bShiftDown>
			<bCtrlDown>0</bCtrlDown>
			<iHotKeyPriority>0</iHotKeyPriority>

Those control the hotkey mapping. Priority is used to decide which hotkey is really used when more than 1 thing attempts to use the same key to do an action and are available at the same time. Pretty sure you'll have to fight against the "unit grouping" hotkeys for the numbers, but since you only own a single unit, that shouldn't come up as an actual issue, as long as you don't toggle CTRL to be required :)

Sudoku is NOT! math. It is a logic puzzle that involves use of numbers arranged in particular way to solve a puzzle.

No, I had not tried this mod yet but I do know Sudoku as it had been my doom on some days when I'm bored (namely, hours and hours working on them!) :lol:

You know, the logic that is used in problems like these is arguably a branch of mathematics? Sure, it mightn't be arithmetic but there's nothing wrong with calling it maths. ;)

But seriously, it can go either way. I will wait for additional feedback from the community about their preference and then implement it.

That's fine. If you've already thought about it then you probably took the best approach. Who knows, maybe I'd try it out with the change and then like your way better!

You know, the logic that is used in problems like these is arguably a branch of mathematics? Sure, it mightn't be arithmetic but there's nothing wrong with calling it maths. ;)
Graph theory! Solving Sudokus would fall under the purview of graph theory. Just not maths with numbers - but the concept is something mathematicians have thought about for centuries now. :)

Cheers, LT.

Lute:

Code:
			<HotKey>KB_R</HotKey>
			<bAltDown>0</bAltDown>
			<bShiftDown>0</bShiftDown>
			<bCtrlDown>0</bCtrlDown>
			<iHotKeyPriority>0</iHotKeyPriority>

Those control the hotkey mapping. Priority is used to decide which hotkey is really used when more than 1 thing attempts to use the same key to do an action and are available at the same time. Pretty sure you'll have to fight against the "unit grouping" hotkeys for the numbers, but since you only own a single unit, that shouldn't come up as an actual issue, as long as you don't toggle CTRL to be required :)

Aha! I had found the contolinfos.xml and played with it... but I forgot to reset the prorities. Duh. Thanks for the pointer, xienwolf. You have a knack for saving people hours of work. :)

I had originally looked at this file to disable some of the advisor screens. I took the buttons out of the screens.py file, but they are still accessable thorugh hot keys. Now I can remove them.

And add hot keys for the improvements!

Top Bottom