Stop rivals from vassalising your enemies.

TheRealCzar

Chieftain
One of those predictable ":mad: Not Now! :rolleyes:" moments in any warmongering game of BTS is the point at which your almost vanquished foe bows down to some more powerful neighbour, dragging them into the war. Depending on the power ratios, this could be water off a ducks back, you might throw back your head and laugh at the ants trying to stop your invincible armies.

But for me its usually aggravating because:
  • Fighting one army in one place is inevitably easier than fighting two armies in two places. Further, the more AIs join in, the more likely it is for yet more AIs to join in and you could find yourself at war with the whole lot in short order. :scared:
  • You may have had plans to accept the capitulation of the beaten foe yourself just as soon as you'd taken the last decent city for luxury/wonder/territory purposes and left only the ice bound detritus. If he becomes the vassal of somebody else, you can't do this until after at least 10 turns have passed and you've battered them to the point they no longer feel like maintaining their vassal status with their "protector"

There is a way to prevent all this (making a few assumptions). Its perhaps abusing the game rules a little so make your own mind up. ;)

1. Check regularly what your enemy will give for peace. Once they're willing to capitulate, that's the alarm bell. This turn or some turn soon, they'll become vassals to a rival.
  2. Demand something trivial from the enemy/enemies you don't want to enter the war. 1 gold coin for example, or world map provided theirs wouldn't add much new information. If your power graphs are at least similar (I'm assuming if you're pressing a war, you're the type to have a decent sized army) then in my experience, your demand will often be accepted.

This locks you both in a ten turn, unbreakable peace treaty. This actually stops them from vassalising anybody you are at war with. The idea was to stop you demanding tech off a weedy rival before going to war anyway but it seems unfair you can't give into a demand and then attack, this where you could maybe call this an exploit :nono:

Depending on the situation, you might do this to everybody, or just the rivals whose armies you'd rather not face for a few more turns.

NB: This trick has no effect if the vassalising rival is actually also at war with your enemy and the enemy capitulates to them. In this case, you automatically sign a peace treaty with your enemy provided you are at peace with the country that vassalises them. In this case, you are better to ask them to make peace (probably have to pay something to make it happen) before the capitulation can happen. Apostolic Palace/UN can be a very handy way to force a peace treaty on your "Ally" whilst you continue the war and pick up the spoils.

NB2: For completeness I note that you're going to incur a -1 relations penalty with those civs you make the demand of, whether they accept or not. I don't consider this a big deal usually. Let them winge so long as they do so with their army under lock and key. EDIT perhaps not an issue if you are on good turns with other Civ, i.e no penalties for "requests"

NB3: You can use the same method to stop that stack that'll cross your border next turn from doing so. The AI is too dumb to realise that accepting the demand stops their planned attack. Also effective at keeping your enemy's buddies from joining in once war has started.

NB4: You can properly cheat by reloading a save and applying this method the turn you are dog piled by 4 civs on the same turn. This is clearly cheating of the highest (lowest?) order.

NB5: I've used this method up as far as emperor, results may vary at Immortal or Deity.

NB2: For completeness I note that you're going to incur a -1 relations penalty with those civs you make the demand of, whether they accept or not. I don't consider this a big deal usually. Let them winge so long as they do so with their army under lock and key.
I think this penalty applies only if the AI is less than "Pleased" with you.

I think you could also just make any trade with them and get the 10 turns... resource for gold, trade maps... likewise, I believe even if you give something to them for nothing it makes a 10 turn treaty... I could be wrong here...

1. Check regularly what your enemy will give for peace. Once they're willing to capitulate, that's the alarm bell. This turn or some turn soon, they'll become vassals to a rival.

Maybe this works at the lower levels, but I can tell u it does not work on a challenging setting. Often they still wont even talk to you after 10 turns, but are happy to vassal to anyone else. And even when they are willing to talk, they often refuse to vassal with the "I am doing fine" excuse, but then instantly vassal to someone else.

2. Demand something trivial from the enemy/enemies you don't want to enter the war. 1 gold coin for example, or world map provided theirs wouldn't add much new information. If your power graphs are at least similar (I'm assuming if you're pressing a war, you're the type to have a decent sized army) then in my experience, your demand will often be accepted.

This does not work with the current patch.

Maybe this works at the lower levels, but I can tell u it does not work on a challenging setting. Often they still wont even talk to you after 10 turns, but are happy to vassal to anyone else. And even when they are willing to talk, they often refuse to vassal with the "I am doing fine" excuse, but then instantly vassal to someone else.

As I said it works up to and including Emperor (challenging enough for me, thanks ;)), I can't speak for higher.

I'm not sure how much of an effect game speed has either, I usually play at Epic and find the AI will at least talk to you once they've lost a few cities regardless of how much time has passed. Sometimes they can be bewilderingly disinclined to accept the inevitable.

This does not work with the current patch.

Just used it at current patch, 3.19. Emperor level.

kochman said:
I think you could also just make any trade with them and get the 10 turns... resource for gold, trade maps... likewise, I believe even if you give something to them for nothing it makes a 10 turn treaty... I could be wrong here...

I'm not sure, but I believe trade doesn't do it. Might check it out when I have a chance.

I think this penalty applies only if the AI is less than "Pleased" with you.
Gandhi will never be angry with you for making arrogant demands whereas Cathy, Kublai, Louis and Quin will give you a demerit of -2.

~~~~~~~~~~

It's interesting and relevant to note that the vassalation of your victim to one of your rivals (who the both of you were not at war with before) actually represents a bribery/trade, only that the rival will not receive techs/money for entering the war vs you, but the vassal instead. This infers that all the necessary requirements must be met so that the rival will not respond to the victim with any denials such as "We just don't like you enough", "We couldn't betray our close friends", "We are afraid of their military might", "We would have nothing to gain", ... Likewise the victim must not give denials like "We just don't like you enough", "Your land is too far away", ...

Therefore this bribery problem is actually pretty unlikely and can often be prevented merely by good diplo + a bit of manipulation.

The important RefuseAttitudeThresholds (RAT) are DeclareWar, DeclareWarThem and Vassal (values as usual taken from this file):

Unproblematic example:
If I am fighting Isabella (RAT_Vassal = pleased) who might bribe powerful Cyrus (RAT_DeclareWar = pleased; RAT_DeclareWarThem = annoyed) into the war by becoming his vassal, Cyrus needs to be > pleased with Isabella and <= annoyed with me, plus Isabella usually needs to be > pleased with Cyrus. Otherwise it just won't happen.

Problematic example:
If I am fighting Louis (RAT_Vassal = annoyed) who might bribe powerful Shaka (RAT_DeclareWar = annoyed; RAT_DeclareWarThem = pleased) into the war by becoming his vassal, Shaka needs to be > annoyed with Louis and <= pleased with me, plus Louis usually needs to be > annoyed with Shaka.

I used usually in my wording since the RAT_Vassal is modified in situations where the victims qualify as land targets for other AIs who are more powerful than them --> in these high threat scenarios they will be more willing to become a vassal.

Don't forget that if it's nearing cap time, you can ask for 1 gold from the would be master to buy yourself 10 turns...works especially well for those idiots who would declare on you and take the vassal @ pleased.

I think a trade works, because it definitely creates a 10 turn treaty.

An unsolicited gift though, that might not work.

Be interesting to get your results though. I could enter some crappy trade just to prevent this thing, and cancel it after 10 turns, just to re-enter (If I needed to that is).

An unsolicited gift though, that might not work.

Be interesting to get your results though. I could enter some crappy trade just to prevent this thing, and cancel it after 10 turns, just to re-enter (If I needed to that is).

Trades don't work, it has to be a request.

Don't forget that if it's nearing cap time, you can ask for 1 gold from the would be master to buy yourself 10 turns...works especially well for those idiots who would declare on you and take the vassal @ pleased.
Sure, I gave the two examples to demonstrate when it is probably necessary to take precautions via demands/asking for help and when not. So if you want to conquer two (or more :devil:) targets in a relatively short amount of time (--> low chance of success for the second demand/help request) the considerations above should be helpful to determine when to "use up" the request.

Sure, I gave the two examples to demonstrate when it is probably necessary to take precautions via demands/asking for help and when not. So if you want to conquer two (or more :devil:) targets in a relatively short amount of time (--> low chance of success for the second demand/help request) the considerations above should be helpful to determine when to "use up" the request.

Yeah. Think of what I said more as an "adding on" than anything else. This is to the benefit of the OP...thanks to your input in the past I already knew that they can't take voluntary vassals if they wouldn't declare on you normally (or as a bribe):p.

Common sense would indicate this could be the case. But with my short experience in the current patch, it DOES NOT WORK.

Gandhi will never be angry with you for making arrogant demands whereas Cathy, Kublai, Louis and Quin will give you a demerit of -2.

Thanks for that Dan, I hadn't realised the leaders were different in terms their reactions, I thought they had simply variable aggression build/tech priorities.

For a psychoanalysis of the leaders, check CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml (or my digested spreadsheet version I linked above). This particular aspect of behavior is coded in the MemoryAttitudePercent MEMORY_MADE_DEMAND.

For the record:
Swap deals don't work, they don't trigger a peace treaty. It has to be completely one sided.

I've tested by demanding 1 gold from Isabella in my last game, who was actually about 20-25% more powerful according to demographics and "annoyed" at me too but she acceded to my demand and we were locked in peace for 10 turns. As ever, this was at Emperor.

...she acceded to my demand and we were locked in peace for 10 turns. As ever, this was at Emperor.

I think you are being fooled here. If you are using BUG Mod, it will report as though there is a 10 turn peace treaty, and you'll see peace symbols which makes you think you are safe. But you can still be Dowed on despite this. There's been a tremendous amount of changes with vassalation it seems in the newer patch. Take a look and you'll see flip-flopping like never before. And one thing they do is over-ride peace treaties, so be prepared to get backstabbed, peace-treaty or not.

I'm not using BUG.

In my last game I was at war with the Portuguese and they were vassalised by the Ottomans. I reloaded the game and demanded the Ottomans map the turn before. Lo and behold, they do not now vassalise the Portuguese. I overwrote the save game unfortunately but its only a matter of time before it happens again, I'll try and upload a save then.

I'm taking that to mean the AI can't break ten turn treaties for vassalisation purposes. I'm not playing with new random seed or anything like that and I've never seen reloading change an AI's mind about war.

Has anyone ever been good friends with a sorta weak civ who was in a huge war with 6 civs? Then that weakling asks to become your vassal? You accept and now you're at war with 6 out of the 9 other civs in the world?

I took Bismarck under my wing and Brennus, Ragnar, Alexander, Justinian, Wang Kon, and Ghandi declared on me. Brennus was Raggy's master and Alex was Justin's master. I had NO idea that would happen or I would have just declared on Bismarck. Especially since everyone but Wang was friendly or pleased with me.

This was chieftan and I was Roosevelt (it was my first game on BtS) so it was a piece of cake taking over half the world. Weird as it is, I got a cultural victory.

So, has the first situation ever happened to you?

Yes, once. I imagine it won't happen to you again either. You gotta pay attention to the screen when it tells you who declared war on who between your turns...

Also, you can usually scroll over to their name in the column on the right, or on their picture, and a pop up will come up that tells you who they are at war with. This may have been a fix from one of the patches...

Also, if you say no, you can usually then go and research their standing, re-contact them, and vassalize if you are still interested.

Top Bottom