TXT_KEY bugs

Edit: I've just compeltely reinstalled Civ and that fixed it so whatever was wrong is gone now.

I've recently uninstalled and reinstalled Civilization IV & BTS; so I have no idea how it happened, but I've got a nasty TXT bug. Here's some examples:

From BTS:

From Fall From Heaven 2:

I posted this at the FFH2 forums (which is the game I primarily play) and someone else told me:
It looks like you deleted a Text file in the base Civ4 game.
I was hoping someone here could identify what file I deleted (and honestly, I don't recall deleting anything) and how I could repair the problem.

:confused:

Thanks in advance

I have the same problem.
I completely uninstalled Civ 4 to go for BTS 3.19 and FFH 2 0.41d.

Its creepy. When I install Civ 4 (Vanila) it works. But when I install BTS (Even without patching it) I have the errors stated in the first post of this thread.

Any ideas?
Can it have sth. to do with the language options?
I searched google and forums for quite a time but I couldn't find a solution.

Delete anything in your custom assets folder. When uninstalling Civ does not remove custom assets, so anything left over can cause issues.

Okay it worked out.
Just for further research my actions were as following:

Completely deinstall Civ4 + Add-ons + Mods.
Delete all files related to Civ (old directory,my games/civ (folder), all Civ related folder I could find via explorer)
Cleaned the registry (winxp, command "regedit") - searched for "Civilization" and deleted all entries
completely reinstalled civ4 + bts + patch 3.19

Worked.

I think the important part is to clean everything one can find (folder, maybe registry).

Thanks and greets.

Hey, having the same problem. Are there any other registry tags you searched for other than "civilization"? Because I'm still having problems with this.

"Software\Firaxis Games" is the root registry key.

Look in your my documents folder for a firaxis games folder, if it exists you probably still have custom assets, so just delete that folder. A registry search might not work after uninstalling because the uninstaller should remove all registry keys. But custom assets should be in the my documents path somewhere, which is most likely the cause of your problem (and the uninstaller does not remove stuff in the my documents path for some reason).

I get this TXT-KEY error, despite uninstalling and re-installing. I get it both before and after patching. I heard it was from Windows 7 64 bit, but I have no confirmation of that.

Any ideas? Because it basically ruins the game-play.

Thank you.

Have you installed Civ 4 as per my thread in the top of this forum ?

Using run as administrator to install all games/patches, also installing into a non-standard directory can help the permissions situation. Run as administrator is the most important thing to do. There was a long running thread by Lemon Merchant covering these issues but it got unstickied when she no longer had time to maintain it.

Using run as administrator to install all games/patches, also installing into a non-standard directory can help the permissions situation. Run as administrator is the most important thing to do. There was a long running thread by Lemon Merchant covering these issues but it got unstickied when she no longer had time to maintain it.

I tried the run as administrator idea, and it did not work either. Sigh...

Top Bottom