Nautilus, Sword of the Ocean

Wyrmshadow

Deity
The giant submarine from the movie :The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Most excellent work... I always did like that movie!

That Sub is a GIANT !:clap:
Imagine it how it battles the Firaxis Sub !!! :spear:
Is the Death a brand new explosion ? Looks new to me ,at last. ...and cool.
Why is the sub leaving the frame ? Is it a ram attack ?
:goodjob:

Fair warning, there are some transparency issues in the Death. Not too noticable unless you have a dark ocean terrain.

This was one of those kooky things I've always wanted to do since I saw the movie. And like I told the steampunk guys, I wasn't taking requests, it was just a coincidence of timing I got off on making some steam powered tanks.

I hope the sounds work right.

Fantastic job. I love the animations. Great work, very impressive. A little note: there is an animation where the Nautilus move really and exit from the frame square, but in game this would be that the Nautilus is viewing partially.

Awesome. Simply awesome. I'd like to use it as a spaceship some day, just so I can look at it (perhaps you could make a version without water..) It's just a beautiful craft.

I (meekly) second this idea.

Great work, as usual, Wyrmshadow. Your attention to detail in both the model and animations is legendary.

wauw..

this is really, REALLY awesome!

awesome job on the animations!

Oh, just to educate those that naively attribute talent where it doesn't exist: I did not create the model myself. I'm really really good at finding these things but this one I did not make.

Its a pet peeve I have when I read some posts on this forum and see the ignorant write "omg, you make awesome models!!!!" And then ontop of that the "owner" of said model never corrects them. If there is a model out there I don't have, its because I can't afford it, but I know where it came from. I've seen them all. So when I read uncorrected posts like that... I die a little inside.

I edited my post for you then

I mean, in the end, the animation is what its all about!

I suck at making models, but I think im decent at making animations, or at least, making them go smoothly-ish..

really, good job :D

Nothing personal Ruby, but it got me thinking of all the times I've seen poeple write that.

Ripptide did that. Here's news for you poeple: with the possible exception of 3 units, he made NONE of the models he turned into units. I know, because I've seen them elsewhere online in various 3d model collections. It was a constant source of annoyance when I saw poeple write "what awesome models you make Ripptide!" And he just took the innaccurate compliments in conspiratorial silence. It was very disengenuous.

Don't mind. Finding and modifying the models, animating them and creating them in such an unrivaled amount and quality is truly an art on its own, and you have mastered it. ;)

Can I download this model? I have access to a rapid prototype machine and want to make a model of this ship. The 3D Nautilus model would help a ton.

Thanks

My apologies for the bump, although this is a very good unit by Wyrmshadow.

I have always wondered where The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen came up with the design of the Nautilus that they used, as it is much different from that of Verne in 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas. The movie Nautilus is optimized for surface travel, while Verne's Nautilus was optimized for submerged operation.

I was going through Norm Friedman's US Submarines Through 1945-A Design History, when I got to page 105. There was the movie Nautilus, based on a sketch design for a World War 1 fleet submarine, optimized for surface performance. The book was published in 1993, so it would have been available to the movie special effects people.

Side Note: I was working with Norm on something else at the time, when we met at the National Archives in D.C. while he was also researching the book. I mentioned to him some work that I had been doing on Japanese WW2 ASW, and as a result, I am mentioned in one of Norm's foot notes. Nice to have that.

Top Bottom