"overflowerror" coming when mod starts?

davidlallen

Deity
A new visitor to civfanatics has downloaded Dune Wars, which uses BUG, and he cannot get the mod to start. Please see this post and below for the discussion. He has posted a PythonErr.log file which contains the following:

Code:
  File "BugConfig", line 384, in parse
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py", line 171, in feed
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py", line 280, in goahead
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py", line 668, in parse_starttag
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py", line 730, in finish_endtag
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py", line 751, in handle_endtag
  File "BugConfig", line 568, in end_init
  File "BugConfig", line 223, in createInit
  File "BugUtil", line 479, in __call__
  File "BugUtil", line 476, in call
  File "FontUtil", line 50, in init
  File "FontUtil", line 62, in addSymbol
  File "FontUtil", line 86, in registerSymbol
OverflowError: ” arg not in range(0x10000) (narrow Python build)
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvAppInterface", line 63, in preGameStart

I have searched for "overflowerror" in this forum and not found anything. The visitor has confirmed he is running the game in English, and he is able to download and run other mods such as Mars Now.

Any suggestions?

(EDIT: don't be thrown off by "warlords" in the directory name. He has confirmed that he is using BTS 3.19.)

(EDIT2: I googled "narrow python build" site:civfanatics.com and found several other similar references. One of them was resolved because some mod was missing init.xml. This mod has init.xml. The others, I could not tell the resolution. This particular download is used by other people successfully, so I do not think the mod itself is broken. I traced backwards a little on the file/linenos in the traceback but was not able to tell anything about what may be actually happening.)

I think this is the correct line 86 (rev 1510):

Code:
symbolChars[symbol] = u"%c" % ordinal

ordinal must be < 0x10000, but it doesn't say what it is. Is their init.xml file messed up? This function is called for each <symbol> defined in the config XML files. Look for one with an invalid offset value or post the file.

Given that it works for others, I don't see what could be wrong here other than a local modification.

Thanks! This is a first time user. If you have a chance please read the posts following the link I gave above. The user has not locally modified any files. We cannot figure out why this installation would not work, when other apparently identical installations do work. Could it be related to a non-English installation of Windows itself, ie, the directory "my documents" is probably named something else, etc?

It might be related to the language, but Unicode was built to allow for multiple languages more easily. It would seem odd for Python to bork under those conditions. My first recommendation for a problem like this is to redownload and reinstall the mod to be sure it's not corrupt.

Top Bottom