Thought & Question About Armies & Teleportation

Ozymandias

In Terra Fantasia
Supporter
Hey All,

I tend not to use Armies -- I find them essentially useless -- and haven't played around at all wih teleportation.

Then I had a flashback to pre-computer wargame days and remembered a number of games that allowed reinforcements to appear directly at Army HQs (representing logistical tails, etc.)

So, thought: give Barracks the Teleport ability and make Arrmies telepads.

Qs: Would this work? And, if so, would the Almighty A.I. use it?

Good To Be Back,

Oz

Good to see you Oz :)
Have not experimented with Teleportation but seems that what you are wanting to do is worth a try. As for the AI using it, well you know that always remains to be seen :)
Hope you can get an answer from someone who has experimented enough to be able to answer your questions.
Probably best to set up a quick experiment to see for yourself.

Whats up Oz? Was wondering where you wandered off to :) I too have never messed around with teleportation, but will have to since I will need to use it as a spot which teleports units from specific locations (portals) to other locations (which will act as a Subterranean level).

Wasn't there some type of issue regarding teleportation, where if a building has the ability, other teleport units can just teleport there and take the city?

Tom

Gentlemen - How kind of you to have noticed my absence :) I had the opportunity to flee the ghastly NYC summer for Nova Scotia for 3 weeks, and feel very lucky indeed for the chance.

I suppose I'll have to dig through my archive of old threads, see what I can find, then experiment (I'm thinking of changing the name of my mod to, "Perpetual Development" :crazyeye: -- I mean, really, it's been like 6 years now ... need ... more ... hours ... in ... day ... )

All Best Wishes,

Oz

Perpetual Development was the exact name I was planning on using too! Well, I guess not anymore... :)

We're planning to use teleportation extensively (yeah, we'll see how that goes)

If you get a BSOD, make sure to let us know about that! Civinator did some great tests, showing that AI would use them to teleport from Britain to Normandy in a test scenario. So it seems to have some great potential. This is the exact thing I need to have available, so it should be interesting to do some tests (or better yet, to do nothing, and wait for Oz to do the tests :lol:).

Tom

Perpetual Development was the exact name I was planning on using too! Well, I guess not anymore... :)

Well, if we all use the same name, we can provide ultimate "cover" for each other in case the wise cracks start ...

[...] or better yet, to do nothing, and wait for Oz to do the tests :lol:

:lol: Oh, thou knowst me too well ...

As Ever,

Oz

1. don't know what BSOD means.
2. I do remember that test by Civinator. He pretty much proved that the AI can be depended on to use the teleporter, when available. Now if someone could come up with a way to get the AI to use land vehicles....
3. Decided then. The Perpetually Under Development (Pud) Mod is hereby born. From now on, if anyone asks you what you've accomplished lately, you can say, "I've been working hard on my Pud."

It is an interesting idea, but:
1- Does the AI build army anyway?
2- Even if the AI build army, given the tendency of the AI not to use some standard feature such as artillery or navy really well, imagine what it would do with something out of the norm...

As always, the problem is the AI was programmed by a NS.

As always, the problem is the AI was programmed by a NS.

Yes, only an non-smoker would be that unimaginative. That's why we depend on you, Steph, to find every flag you can in those biqs. I thought that the question of whether the AI actually builds armies was settled; Oh, where's Civinator when you really need him?

I was only on a short family visit this weekend and now I´m playing an interesting CCM test-game. :)

Here is the thread about the landing via teleporter:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023

I found a better solution for the landing in the Normandy (at least so I hope) than to use teleporters, so I didn´t follow those idea any longer.
One concept I had for SOE, was to use mobile units as Army groups, that could gather limited reinforcements from the OKW or NKWD as long as the HPs of the Army Groups did last. Buildings as teleporters in my eyes were to strong for normal use, may be they could simmulate special railways, convoy routes, etc. (traffic lanes). My tests with teleporters were about 2 years ago

The informations gathered in that thread should be the most important:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=187949

Well, you are both lucky then.. :) a Blue Screen of Death is never fun to encounter.

Tom

Ah! Perversely, I'm far more familiar with the dreaded CTD.

@Steph - And "NS" is ... ?

-Oz

I haven't yet heard, though, an answer to the (pretty basic) question, does the AI use armies? I'm really interested in the answer.

Yes, and if you mod them properly, it uses them very effectively. Capacity should be set to 1 and hp to +5 or so, since the AI can't load multiple units properly - this evens the chances vs. human player. The AI uses leaders to build armies but but isn't fond of building them with the academy. To fix this you make armies autoproduced every 30 turns or so which works well. I'd never call them useless myself, they're usually my main striking force and I see AI using them a lot.

Yes, and if you mod them properly, it uses them very effectively. Capacity should be set to 1 and hp to +5 or so, since the AI can't load multiple units properly - this evens the chances vs. human player. The AI uses leaders to build armies but but isn't fond of building them with the academy. To fix this you make armies autoproduced every 30 turns or so which works well. I'd never call them useless myself, they're usually my main striking force and I see AI using them a lot.

Hypothetically,do you think AI armies with capacity > 1 AND my teleport idea would be used?

Best,

Oz

Hypothetically,do you think AI armies with capacity > 1 AND my teleport idea would be used?

No idea - I haven't played around with teleportation either. I don't think, however, that capacity is relevant for this functionality at all. It's not used for teleportation and capacity > 1 doesn't stop the AI from using armies, it just stops the AI from loading more than 1 unit properly (they can load 1-3 and their movement points must differ).

Well, hypothetically, if teleportation worked fine on its own, then a properly working army could work just as well (I really recommend cap: 1, hp bonus can take of telepad hitpoints ;) ). In other words, I'm sure the AI won't plan an invasion with telepads, but if it happens that a telepad unit ends up in enemy territory, then the AI should use it, as in Civinator's example. Whether that unit is an army or not, shouldn't matter.

Top Bottom