Latest Version: Download Here

TC01

Deity
Westward Ho: Wild West Mod for Civilization IV Colonization
Version v0.42 Released 6/6/10

You will always find the current version of the mod and latest patch to download here. The CFC download page for the full mod linked below is merely a link to a download page on WePlayCiv.

Download v0.4 Here
Download 0.42 Patch Here
Download 0.421 Patch Here

To Install:

Run the exe. It has been built using an Inno install script (thanks to Valkrionn) and should automatically install the mod in the correct place.

The correct place is the "Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods" directory (or something like that), not the MODS folder under the My Games path.

If you already have v0.33 (or any previous version), please delete the WestwardHo folder before installing.

To install the patch, also run the exe. You must have 0.4 installed before installing a patch. All patches include previous patches- except for the new 0.421 patch, which you must install over 0.42.

Version 0.4 Changelog:

The changelog for the latest full version and it's patches are below.

Code:
v0.421 Patch Changelog:
-The AI will now build settlements (instead of doing nothing)

v0.42 Patch Changelog:
-Fixed bug with Journeyman Pioneers
-Fixed a crash when building Steamworks
-Fixed some text key errors for native civilizations
-Fixed issues that might have been causing a crash on building map
-Fixed resource-terrain mismatch errors caused by the mapscript
-Fixed bug where Coal Miner could not build Trails, Forts, or Railroads
-The Mine, not the Lodge, now has a chance to reveal mineral resources
-Added missing graphics (Cow and Trail buttons)
-Added William B. Ide leaderhead from Ekmek

v0.41 Patch Changelog:
-Fixed bug where units could not be loaded into/unloaded from transports
-Fixed bug where units and professions were all the same as vanilla Col
-Fixed bugs with the non-modular code in the Forts module
-Fixed bug with the positioning of units on the Home City screen
-Added highlighted icons for yields (in city screen)
-Added Steamworks update for Coal Furnace- increases manufactured goods production
-New graphics for the Coal Furnace
-Fixed several Coal text errors

v0.4 Changelog:
-Merged in Androrc the Orc's Trail modcomp- it is now required to build roads
-Merged in Kailric's Journeyman Professions modcomp
-Merged in Kailric's Coal Burner modcomp
-Merged in Kailric's Forts modcomp
-Added Route To (Trails Only) and Route To (Trails and Roads Only) commands
-Added a custom main menu background screen and loading screen
-Added a custom home city screen from KJ Jansson
-Added gamefonts, icons, and other graphics for new yields
-Added new Railroad Station building allowing airlifting between cities
-Fixed bug with Railroad art not appearing in certain cases
-Changed Tobacco, Cigars, to Barley, Beer
-Changed Sugar, Beer to Wool, Cloth
-Iron, Silver, and Coal resources can be discovered on plots with a mine
-50 Coal and a Railroad Station is required to create a Locomotive

Spoiler v0.30 Changelogs :
Code:
Patch 0.33 Changelog:
-Fixed bug where changing your name blocked the ability to access Home City screen
-Fixed bug where the game could fail to create home cities when starting a game
-Fixed bug with multiple home cities when starting a scenario
-George Custer provides 2 cannons instead of a frigate (to fix crash with water units from Home City)
-Fixed bug where the cow and berry art was not appearing, and instead default cotton and banana art was appearing
-Fixed bug where refusing a tax caused issues with the home city screen

Patch v0.32 Changelog:
-Included C++ source code from Kailric
-Gave Cheyenne city names, art, etc. (thanks to drjest2000)
-Changed Cheyenne leader to Wolf Robe, with 2D leaderhead art
-Added Hopi native civ from drjest2000's COL Gold
-Added John Fremont leaderhead by Ekmek

Patch v0.31 Changelog:
-Fixed a text key error in the Europe screen
-Removed the popup checking if you wanted to travel to Europe (caused issues)
-Fixed bug relating to moving your Wagon Train in and out of the Europe zone of your Home City.
-Gave Blackfoots new leader and 2D leaderhead, city names, art, etc. (thanks to drjest2000)
-Renamed "Sail to Europe" commands to "Travel to Home City", other similar text changes at the screen, etc.
-Added new "Travel to Home City" and "Sail to New World" buttons.
-Fixed the wagon train icon in the Europe Screen, it doesn't appear huge anymore.
-Starting units are autoloaded into your wagon train.

v0.3 Changelog:
-Moved Route restriction to SDK to increase game speed
-Gave Locomotives 6 cargo space, 4 speed, and the ability to carry passengers
-Added master_akura's Founding Fathers
-Added area appropriate Native civilizations (various states of "completed")
-Changed starting date to 1816
-Made calendar work seasonally instead of anually (end date is 1891)
-Changed Dawn of Man screen intro text
-Packed art directory to make mod load faster
-Added Home Cities on Map (you start in your home city, on the map) by Koma13
-Blocked purchase of ships in Europe, allowed purchase of Locomotives, Wagon Trains
-Added Build Railroad button by Kailric
-Prevented President from questioning you about founding a city inland
-You won't be asked to "trade with city" on arriving in your home city
-All civs start as territories, then change their name on revolution (Utah -> Deseret)
Spoiler v0.2 Changelog :
Version 0.2 Changelog:

Code:
v0.20 Changelog:
-Railroads now display correct art, link up properly, and can be built
-City lists added to all civs
-Oregon Territory renamed to Cascadia Territory
-8 Founding Fathers added by quantumf8
-Added in the art for Brigham Young by cfkane
(v0.21 Patch)
-Fixed bug where locomotives couldn't move into cities (but prevented them from moving into native cities)
-Increased Locomotive speed by 2 (to make them faster then wagon trains)
-Renamed the Build Railroad command (it was only "Railroad") to Build Railroad
-Added Ranger, Veteran Ranger, Locomotive, and US Cavalry buttons by Kailric
-Added Veteran Ranger city screen art by Kailric
-Added Railroad button (from Civ 4)
(v0.22 Patch)
-Renamed Rum to Beer
-Added Santa Anna Leaderhead art for Mexico (European) by Ekmek
-Made Mexico parent civ of California as well as Texas
-Made America parent civ of Cascadia as well as Deserets
-Added in Mounted Ranger, Mounted Veteran button art by Kailric
-Renamed Deserets to Utah Territory, Cascadia to Oregon Territory
(v0.23 Patch)
-Added in WildWest.py Mapscript (basically Great_Plains.py from Civ 4)
-Prevented use of existing Col public maps
-Added Marsh and Light Forest to WildWest.py
-Added Cow graphics from vanilla Civ 4
-Added Austin and Houston leaderheads by texpatriate

To Do List:

-Pedia text
-Documentation
-New civs, more leaders for current civs
-Gold as a yield (with a Prospector system)
-New mapscript featuring the Pacific coast
-Random events

And much more...

Version History:
v0.1 released by Flintlock1415 on July 14, 2009 with 26 downloads
v0.2 released by TC01 on July 30, 2009 with 227 downloads
v0.3 released by TC01 on September 11, 2009 with 1967 downloads
v0.4 released by TC01 on April 18, 2010 with 996 downloads (so far)

Credits:

Mod Team:

-Flintlock1415 (formerly)
-TC01
-Kailric

Contributors:

-KJ Jansson (Europe/Homeland screen)
-koma13 (Home Cities on Map)
-Ekmek (Leaderhead art)
-texpatriate (Leaderhead art)
-Deliverator (Locomotive graphics)
-Modeltrainman (Locomotive graphics)
-Androrc the Orc (Trails, Route model help)
-drjest2000 (Native civs)
-Valkrionn (Inno install script)

-CIV Gold Leaderhead Makers (New 3D Native leaderheads)

-Tobias Alt (Source of the main menu background)

The Original Idea:

-cfkane

Ideas, Feedback, and Bug Reports:

-Quantumf8
-master_akura
-Chibiabos
-tedrock7
-Talquin

Other:
-Firaxis/2K Games (creators of Colonization)

-Other people I may have missed (give me your names, I'll add you in if I did)

Screenshots:

Screenshots can be found on the main mod download page.

This reply deleted as it was supposed to be an edit of the above post but somehow got into a new reply instead of an edit! I really suck today ... many apologies!

EDIT: Eek! I meant to post this as its own thread on the new forum, not as a reply to the download here. >_< A NUMBER-OF-STARS-IN-A-WESTERN-SKY-fold apologies!

That's fine., you could always open a new topic and copy over the stuff in your post, and then edit your posts to say something like "Content moved to new thread". If you choose to do that, I'll reply there, if not, I'll just reply here.

So yeah, I won't actually reply to what you said yet, except this: remember, this is basically a beta version. The start year is still 1492, the text still says "New World" and "King has given you colonial charter", and you start on a Caravel in the ocean... these will be resolved in the future.

A couple of screenshots wouldn't hurt. Wild West sounds like an intersting idea for a Col mod though.

I'd love to add some screenshots. Unfortunately, there isn't really much to screenshot as of yet... maybe a railroad with a locomotive on it.

Any suggestions for a new main menu background/loading screen background image? That would also make a good screenshot.

Will do that for the next patch.

Also, I can report success in converting Great Plains to Colonization! You can download a beta version of WildWest.py here, if you wish. Please give feedback in that thread.

I've released patch 0.23. You can find the changelog in the first post.

It's probably the last patch (with 0.3 being the next version), since with all the new art if I used zip it came out 11 MB. So I decided to zip it using 7-zip instead, there's a link in the first post to where you can get that program to unzip 7z files.

This looks great. I'll have to download it as soon as I have an internet connection at home again (grrr I hate my ISP).

Anyways, I was reading the threads here and had a thought about riverboats. In the development of the railroads, you had at some point the ability to restrict trains to run on railroads, BUT railroads could only be placed in the world editor, not built.

Change the railroad art to some sort of 'major river art', and make a riverboat unit that is restricted to moving on 'major rivers'. Then you can generate these rivers in the starting map and players can use those. The regular rivers we all know and love, can just be thought of as minor rivers that are too small to sail on. Make the major river fill up most of the tile if you can.

This also may make bridges doable. That is, if you can make a given tile have both the 'restricted to train' and 'restricted to riverboat' properties. Then just make the art for that tile look like a bridge. Same for road art.

Again, if it's doable, you can make the movement cost very high for non-riverboats on a non-bridge square. Which would mean people would have a big incentive to build and use bridges.

Yeah, it's a lot to do, but just something you might think about instead of making rivers just a canal of normal water squares.

This looks great. I'll have to download it as soon as I have an internet connection at home again (grrr I hate my ISP).

Anyways, I was reading the threads here and had a thought about riverboats. In the development of the railroads, you had at some point the ability to restrict trains to run on railroads, BUT railroads could only be placed in the world editor, not built.

Change the railroad art to some sort of 'major river art', and make a riverboat unit that is restricted to moving on 'major rivers'. Then you can generate these rivers in the starting map and players can use those. The regular rivers we all know and love, can just be thought of as minor rivers that are too small to sail on. Make the major river fill up most of the tile if you can.

This also may make bridges doable. That is, if you can make a given tile have both the 'restricted to train' and 'restricted to riverboat' properties. Then just make the art for that tile look like a bridge. Same for road art.

Again, if it's doable, you can make the movement cost very high for non-riverboats on a non-bridge square. Which would mean people would have a big incentive to build and use bridges.

Yeah, it's a lot to do, but just something you might think about instead of making rivers just a canal of normal water squares.

I was thinking of making a "Canal" route you could build that would link up water tiles, and boat units could move over it. But anyway.

A tile itself isn't "restricted to train", but rather the train is restricted to a specific route, the railroad. Unfortunately it is impossible (to my knowledge) to make a plot have multiple routes (to allow a train to cross a water tile).

What can be done is to make the River as you propose a feature. Then make a Bridge an improvement. Then you can build the railroad or road on the bridge. This is better then routes because of the reason above and because the reason railroads couldn't be built was because Flintlock forgot to actually allow units to do it.

This is how rivers worked, I think, before Civ 3. If this is done, I can scrap the existing rivers- the way WildWest.py works is the people at Firaxis who programmed the script it's based on to generate rivers to simulate the Mississippi, etc., rather than just use random rivers. I can make the script use random rivers again and where the special rivers are I can replace them with rivers like these.

I've released v0.3. The download is now hosted at WePlayCiv, where (ironically) the other two Colonization mods with forums are hosted.

Please delete your old version of v0.2 before installing, if you have been one of the 227 people who downloaded v0.2. v0.3 makes several changes (including using a packed art directory) that remove files that were previously included in the mod.

Patch 0.31 has been released! It should fix the wagon train issues/travelling to home city issues reported by master_akura (and potentially others). It also makes a lot of text changes; like changing Europe Screen to Home City Screen, and expands the Blackfoot Native Civilization (thanks to drjest2000 for this!)

If you encounter any issues, post them here or in the bug thread that's also been stickied in this forum.

After some time, Patch 0.32 has been released. This isn't so much a "patch": it expands the natives again (this time adding the Hopi native civ and adding to the Cheyenne), it includes Ekmek's John Fremont leaderhead, and Kailric's C++ source code, so other modders can look at the changes he made.

Thanks to Kailric, drjest2000, and Ekmek for helping with the patch.

So, I wasn't expecting to release a v0.33, but there were a lot of unsolved bugs, so I have.

v0.33 has been released! It's all bugfixes, and for a full changelog you can check the download thread. But all known bugs have been fixed- except the railroad art bug, which I intend to do for 0.4.

This is probably the last patch for 0.3. There's a lot to do for 0.4, so it probably won't be released anytime soon. The first batch of changes for 0.4 will be resources and yields and trade goods, so if you have any opinions on those (like what we can replace a lot of the existing trade goods with, or what new ones should be added, etc.), please share those opinions, either here or in the subforum.

And if you can help, and have free time, I'd appreciate your help. Most of the things needed are graphics related, but there are also a lot of pedia entries that need filling in.

v0.4 has been released. This version adds quite a lot of stuff, and therefore there may be bugs. If you find any, please report them.

Here is the changelog:

-Merged in Androrc the Orc's Trail modcomp- it is now required to build roads
-Merged in Kailric's Journeyman Professions modcomp
-Merged in Kailric's Coal Burner modcomp
-Merged in Kailric's Forts modcomp
-Added Route To (Trails Only) and Route To (Trails and Roads Only) commands
-Added a custom main menu background screen and loading screen
-Added a custom home city screen from KJ Jansson
-Added gamefonts, icons, and other graphics for new yields
-Added new Railroad Station building allowing airlifting between cities
-Fixed bug with Railroad art not appearing in certain cases
-Changed Tobacco, Cigars, to Barley, Beer
-Changed Sugar, Beer to Wool, Cloth
-Iron, Silver, and Coal resources can be discovered on plots with a mine
-50 Coal and a Railroad Station is required to create a Locomotive

One thing it does not include is the latest version (released today) of Kailric's Coal Burner modcomp. Sorry- he updated it just as I was getting everything together to release. It'll be in the next patch... if there's not another version by then.

I have released patch 0.41. This patch includes the new version of Coal Miner as well as the fix for units- units not being able to load into Wagon Trains and units all having their original names and graphics. Changelog:

-Fixed bug where units could not be loaded into/unloaded from transports
-Fixed bug where units and professions were all the same as vanilla Col
-Fixed bugs with the non-modular code in the Forts module
-Fixed bug with the positioning of units on the Home City screen
-Added highlighted icons for yields (in city screen)
-Added Steamworks update for Coal Furnace- increases manufactured goods production
-New graphics for the Coal Furnace
-Fixed several Coal text errors

It's packaged as an exe, so just run that to install the patch.

Yes, it does not include the professions fix just yet. I intended to wait to release it, but I suspected that if I tried to go through and merge something else in the release would be pushed to tomorrow or Sunday (or later).

I've released patch 0.42. This fixes bugs (most, but not all of the bugs reported), and adds a new leaderhead- William B. Ide, by Ekmek.

Changelog:

-Fixed bug with Journeyman Pioneers
-Fixed a crash when building Steamworks
-Fixed some text key errors for native civilizations
-Fixed issues that might have been causing a crash on building map
-Fixed resource-terrain mismatch errors caused by the mapscript
-Fixed bug where Coal Miner could not build Trails, Forts, or Railroads
-The Mine, not the Lodge, now has a chance to reveal mineral resources
-Added missing graphics (Cow and Trail buttons)
-Added William B. Ide leaderhead from Ekmek

Kailric has released a fix for the "AI does nothing" bug. I have packaged it into an 0.421 patch, linked from the first post. You must install this patch over 0.4 and 0.42- it does not include 0.42 and 0.41, sorry.

Reuploaded the patch installer- it should install to the correct directory now.

(It was installing to "Westward Ho" rather than "WestwardHo").

Top Bottom