Ambrox Ancient Ships

ambrox62

Emperor
Ancient Ships (BC era)

This thread contain a set of ancient ships that I made, collected or assembled using models and textures released by firaxis or other forum modders.

--> DOWNLOAD LINK <--
3 GALLEYS (see infos below)
BIREMES/TRIREME/QUINQUEREME/TRADE SHIPS (see infos below)

GALLEY INFOS
Spoiler :

These 3 galleys are reskins of previous existing models.
Through nifscope I added some parts (deck fence and wood castle), modifying dds accordingly in order to maintain the default number of graphic files (2).
Each model has shader and no-shader nif and uses animation and xml reference of vanilla galley.

TRIREMES INFOS

These ships are a pool of previous existing models.
Using nifscope I've modified dds files in order to reduce their number as much as possible.
Furthermore I've fixed the nifs where needed. Now every model works fine during each animated sequence.
All ships have shader and no-shader nif, and they use animations and xml reference of firaxis trireme.

The picture below shows a whole fleet that I assembled using the above models and the galley ones, also varying the XML scale to obtain more differences among them.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• galleys_combat.jpg
    galleys_combat.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3,121
nice! I can get rid of that coracle in my Mare Nostrum mod.

There is a reason for that. The ships have been reskinned for the ancient Mediterranean and I'm glad to see that they seem like I wanted. :)

I know this is a tall order, but do you think there is any way you could make ancient Egyptian or Arabic ships for me? Even medieval ships from these reason might be useful.

They look great though, and will certainly be used by many modders in many mods, including mine!!! :goodjob:

EDIT: Here is an example of an Egyptian style ship. It isn't much of a departure from the ones you have here really...

...and here are some Middle-Eastern, Arabic Xebec...

Capo: There is already one kind of xebec out there (spanish style). For the midmast they have square sails. If your really wanting the style of xebec in the picture, I have made one for the barbary corsair legend in LoR. I was going to release it in the next few days anyways.

EDIT: Theres also a xebec in FFH2 that will blow mine out of the water, but it is has a crazy amount of polys.

@The_Capo
You think me too skilled compared to my real possibilities! I'm a unit "assembler", not a "creator"! I grab pieces and join them togheter, working a bit on the resulting mesh following my personal taste. Look at a model to reproduce it as close as possible is quite impossible for me now.
:dunno:

Capo: There is already one kind of xebec out there (spanish style). For the midmast they have square sails. If your really wanting the style of xebec in the picture, I have made one for the barbary corsair legend in LoR. I was going to release it in the next few days anyways.

I have a Xebec in my own files but the texturing isn't good/realistic enough. I'd really like to see your Xebec.

EDIT: Theres also a xebec in FFH2 that will blow mine out of the water, but it is has a crazy amount of polys.

Could you post the file for me?

these look brilliant and work very well!

I forgot to mention that I did a major effort on these ships (and on the following ships I'll release next fall) to give them working animations.
I've seen several ships remaining standstill on the sea during their idle animation instead of rolling on water, or not fading when sunk.
Working on ships teached me to start always from original firaxis nifs in every unit making process, and to use nifscope as tool. Then I confirmed my initial choises after reading this enlightening tutorial

we're looking for a quinquireme. So I await your work on that with bated breath!

Currently I've chose this ship as quinquereme, increasing its game scale through XML to do it bigger. I don't make another model. This ship is a old existing model that I've reworked a bit.
If you like it I'll finish it, otherwise you need to search your quinquereme elsewhere :(

Attachments

• quinque1.jpg
    quinque1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 103
  • quinque2.jpg
    quinque2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 101
Yes, it is.
To finish it I have to work on texture, because nifs and anims are ok

If you look at the first page of a google images research with "quinquereme" as keyword, you will see how the firaxis trireme resemble a roman quinquereme much more than a greek trireme. Furthermore you will notice how quinquereme images are very different each others.
For that reasons I've chosen to use a bigger trireme as quinquereme, giving it sails and wood castles as showed in some google images.
I'll finish texture optimization asap ;)

I've just released a pool of trireme-based ships to complete my ancient set
Go to the first post to download it

Spoiler :

Top Bottom