The Next NES by EQandCivfanatic

Which are your preferred picks for EQ's Next NES?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EQandcivfanatic

Zailing Captain
Retired Moderator
As I have stated on the A Brave New World 2 Thread, the recent incidents involving my issues on my computer have sparked me to ponder the future of that NES. As I now only plan to take it for maybe only another thirty updates or so, I figure it's about time to start looking ahead at what could be done next. I have been able to work on other rulesets and NES ideas recently at work and have made several important breakthroughs on ideas I (until recently) thought unmoddable. In addition, a more traditional NES along the lines of ABNW's history has been thought up, starting in a similar time frame. For this poll, vote for your favorites, and the top three will move to another poll to determine the winner, and will have their finalized rulesets posted in that second thread. I would greatly appreciate posts about why you picked what you picked, and suggestions on what you'd find most interesting to be in those NESes. Let's run through the list shall we?

1. Warcraft: The First War
This NES has been in motion ever since the end of Warman17's World of Warcraft NES ended. This NES focuses upon the initial arrival of the Orcs in Azeroth, and the first war between Stormwind and the Orcish Horde. The map will consist only of what is known as the Eastern Kingdoms, not including any other continent, but will expand as needed. Races which will be within it at the start will be Humans, Orcs, Trolls, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Gnolls. There's a couple of features of this ruleset which I am particularly proud of. The economic system is greatly derived from the actual systems and stats used within the original Warcraft RTS games, and consists of three tradable resources: oil, lumber, and gold. In addition to these resources (which are spent for units, buldings, and development), we have mana, which is the combined magical resources at your nation's disposal. Mana is generated by caster types and can be "spent" upon spells of awesome and destructive power against your enemies. Mana could also be used on spells to help develop your lands and to protect your people. My other favorite part of the ruleset is the organization of the Orcish Horde. For the Horde at the beginning, it is controlled by the Shadow Council, an NPC, which will issue directives to the various player-controlled clans, and they will strive to achieve it. Clan leaders can ultimately gain popularity to overthrow the Council and establish themselves as the Horde's new warchief, and will then act as the overall commander for the Horde.

2. The Galaxy Turned Upside Down: This is the sequel to The World Turned Upside Down and will focus on the early stages of space colonization and imperialism. The NES takes place in a world much more advanced then our own, starting in the year 2010. Seven super-nations will be the only starting states, but, they are by far the hardest way to play this NES. The NES will be mostly geared towards independent organizations, such as companies, rebel groups, pirates, or even colonists seeking a new life on a distant planet. The standing powers will have to find ways to continue their leadership even while these other groups gain more and more power. While there's pros and cons to each type of play, the nations will definitely have a rough time at the start. This NES will include individual planetary maps for every habitable planet colonized, and a overall galactic map will be provided and expanded from the start. A person starting as a rebel group or other organization may one day (with effort) make their own nation, perhaps a new human empire. Colonists will find a easy time at the start in distant systems, as only the largest ships can travel from system to system, and for now, the only ships of that capability are colony ships. Aliens MAY make an appearance, but will always start NPC.

3. Imperial Glory: This is a typical alternative history NES starting in 1800. There are a large number of Points of Departure for this NES' history, starting in 1492. The overall change though is that every single hare-brained colonial attempts and efforts throughout the early phases of colonization in the Americas were successful. From there, the effects in Europe and across the world were expanded. This NES marks a large numebr of American colonial powers including: Sweden, Netherlands, Courland, Austria, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Denmark, and Portugal. Effects back in Europe are definite as well, and among the changes were a lack of any French Revolution, an independent Courland, Scotland, and Poland, the continuation of the Holy Roman Empire into the nineteenth century, among several other changes as well. The map will be on flyingchicken's nice map that he's apparently recently come out with (though if credit goes to someone else, I apologize), rather than the maps I have used previously. The ruleset will be a revised version of the one currently in use for ABNW, which I have some problems with. Specifically, rules involving manpower and mobilization will be refined, and Stability will be changed in a different method. Lastly, there will be new rules for colonization, which are only loosely modelled off the rules set for the original ABNW. The method of establishing colonies is different and maintaining them becomes the issue.

4. Age of Heron Revived: This is named for my series of NESes which were sort of a early version of the Interesting Times type of NES. The alteration in history is the sparking of the Industrial Revolution during the height of the Roman Empire. This NES will begin with the very first invention of the steam engine and its first uses in society (which will be more or less determined by the players). The obvious powerhouse in this NES will be the Roman Empire, and other players will be forced to deal with the strength of this ancient superpower and the rise of modern industry. There will be several other twists as the NES goes forward. The ruleset is modelled upon that of ABNW, as with Imperial Glory, but there is a few noticable differences. Expansion into "white" territory will be done in a different method, rather than following the rules of colonization in the previously mentioned NES. Also, the NES will proceed in more than single year increments as with previous NESes I have done. The most important element year is the tech tree, which unlike previous NESes, will be taking center role here, as nations determine the way to forge ahead in the rise of industry.

5. In the Valley of Shadow 2.1: This is strictly based off the recent side NES I have done, which I consider to have been incompletely released. I personally believe now that it was a mistake to have done it the way I did and that it was unbalanced in several ways. The ruleset has been greatly revised, adding a few elements which I believed to have missed. Vehicles will be available at the start to those who have oil, military will work much differently, as ships and so forth will NOT require manpower, it'll be up to the nation to provide the training needed for personel to be involved on these more advanced weapons. The Watchers have also been removed from the map at the start, and will not play a major roll until enough threat has been accumulated. The map has also been changed, it will be a map of North America instead, to provide more space and familiarity to NESers. That way we don't have to remember a whole bunch of fictional names. Lastly, the new resource of food has been added into the ruleset, as well as a related starting city and sites. Mostly this will be to encourage trade, as some areas will have food and others will not have as much. Trade failed to work out as I hoped in the original version of this ruleset, but hopefully changes to both the map and rules will fix this fault.

6. Arise the Fire: This NES is focused upon the book series Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. This will not have any relation to the plot of that series, only the premise. The first stage of this NES will be a true return to our roots by being entirely based on story telling. I will ask those involved (including myself) to include their faction's improbable survival through the Change, and how they managed to eke out an existence, cutting their stories off after the Dying Time (about 1 year after the Change). Based on the stories and events, a map and stats will be created along the basis of the tales. Basically it's a fresh start in a shattered world, and will turn into a more established and traditional NES. The ruleset after the initial start once again is closely related to ABNW, and will use EP. The tech tree will be fun as I will allow research into any project idea you may come up with that can be done with the altered situation of technology.

7. Return to Our Roots: A New Era (Working Title): As the title implies this is a fresh start NES which will be done pretty much exactly like the start of the original RTOR2. We'll use flyingchicken's new map and so forth, and the original Return to Our Roots 2 ruleset (what there was of it). Included are large national blobs, no regard for realism, and pretty much no real restrictions.

8. Laying Foundations: A Fresh Start: Once again, another fresh start idea, done much differently. This pretty much is an interesting times style of NES, which will be done with significantly more restrictions than the one mentioned above. The ruleset will start as the players begin as nomadic tribes starting in a centralized location and fighting eachother as they move to new lands. Journey across the globe, fighting NPCs and other players, looking for a place for your people to live. When you feel you've found a place to settle down, you'll recieve traditional nation stats to start building. From there we'll move ahead a few thousand years to the emergence of the first true civilizations from your tribes. And so forth. The ruleset will evolve and adapt as the nations grow.

Well that's everything in my arsenal at the moment (excepting a few which don't have rulesets yet), take your pick, I look forward to ya'll insights and thoughts.

Once again, I would like to stat that ya'll can vote for multiple NESes if more than one is interesting to you.

I voted for TGTUD, Imperial Glory, Age of Heron, and Return to our Roots. My favorite among those is TGTUD.

I like TGTUD because it may be the most flexible while retaining structure, and also because I want to play a space-age NES.

Imperial Glory seems to be most similar to ABNW, and since I like ABNW, I voted for it.

Age of Heron is a really unique idea. The issue, though, is that it seems really unbalanced. The lucky guy who is first to claim Rome will dominate for quite some time.

The only reason I voted for Return to our Roots is because I like stories. It's more a statement of what I'm looking for.

I'll only leave this comment.

Though I voted in favour of the Imperial NES and those NESes have always been interesting I suspect you would not be very interested in moding such a NES.

I vote for continuation of ABNW2!:) Imperial Glory and Fresh Start got my vote.

I voted for TGTUD, Imperial Glory, Age of Heron Revived, and Arise the Fire.

TGTUD-I wasn't here for TWTUD but after finding the thread and then skimming through I think a space version would be nice.

Imperial Glory-Voted for it because I would want to see all the European nations fighting over colonies.

Age of Heron Revived-I want to know what Romans would do with a steam engine.

Arise the Fire-I don't know why. For some reason I kept thinking about people sitting around a campfire and telling stories.

I voted:

Imperial Glory: you do a great job with these kinds of NESs, though I think you should take into consideration similarities this might have with ABNW, and maybe your desire for something different.

Age of Heron: This is really interesting. And unique. This has my top vote.

and of course your RTOR sequels will always be great, and can count on my participation.

I didn't vote for TWTUD sequel because I was never in that series, but the NES does sound promising.

Imperial Glory is more or less an upgraded version of ABNW, and as stated is very similar overall. I'm not bored of the ABNW concept, like I said, there's a ways more I want to go with that NES.

As for my own preferences, I'm enthusiastic about doing any of the mentioned NESes.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback so for and encourage others to provide similar.

My votes are TGTUD, Warcraft, Arise the Fire and Imperial Glory. I will now take this opportunity to call dibs on the USF in TGTUD, if it is selected.

Argh, I voted for TGTUD but forgot to vote for Imperial Glory, meant to but accidentally clicked to accept just the one vote so please add one to Imperial Glory EQ (As in, realize there is one more vote for it then it actually shows).

I voted TGTUD because the premise sounds completely awesome and I really want to make a space corporation. I think that will be some fun stuff.

I wanted to vote for Imperial Glory because it has a cool premise as well, and alt hists are cool. It also seems pretty similar to ABNW which is an awesome NES so I suspect it would be pretty awesome, too.

In liking order:
1) Warcraft
2) Age of Heron (revisited)
3) Imperial Glory

I voted for TGTUD, Imperial Glory, Valley of Shadows 2.1 and Arise the Fire. The latter seems very interesting (a world just after all advanced technology has suddenly stopped to work (and can't work) and you have to start nearly from scratch seems quite fun).

Voted for Warcraft, Arise the Fire and Laying Foundations. The latter two seem to be fairly neat ideas in any case, but the one I really want to play in is Warcraft, which in any case is long overdue (IMHO, ofcourse).

Imperial Glory just sounds like something that has been done a thousand times over by now, though I don't doubt that it would still be pretty fun if only because it probably won't die as quickly as those tend to with you as mod.

I vote TGTUD, Imperial Glory, The Age of Heron and Valley of Shadows 2.1. My preferences are the order below.

My main preference out of these would be Imperial Glory simply because this is my favourite type of NES. Personally I would probably be happier with a revised ABNW. I remember a while back you said something about possibly restarting ABNW with different rules and a revised North America. I think that would be quite interesting.

TGTUD sounds quite interesting and looks as though alot has gone into it currently. I would like to see the rules with it beforehand but from the sounds of it I would join. The main problem I see here is making planets easily terraformable. If players are easily able to settle planets it will likely reduce competition and just lead to massed colonies throughout the galaxy.

The Age of Heron looks interesting although with the Roman Empire being so much stronger than the other nations alot rests on the player of this nation.

I would also play in the Valley of Shadows 2.1 and agree that the original Valley of Shadows didn't end up as anicipated with players needing to trade resources and so forth. A revised map that changes the resources of the world would make this NES much more interesting.

I might also play in the final 2 options in the list although I don't find them as appealing as the others.

Personally, I like semi-relistic fresh starts, and the only reason I stopped playing EQ's brand is the mess of diplomacy... (I can do this if you promis to the this in which I would help you with that and will front this amount if you can invade randomdude and make him promise fealty to you... etc.)

So, Rise Fire, Laying foundations and The galaxy turned upsidedown... in that order.

@Jason: Tech trees really depend on the NES. Imperial Glory and Age of Heron will be similar in that manner, while the others will not have a traditional tech tree. Warcraft and Valley of Shadow will have some techish elements, but they will not be decided by players' "research" but rather by their actions in the field. Arise the Fire and TGTUD will have tech research, but the techs will all be custom and designed by the players, not vital to the game. The two fresh start ones will also NOT have a traditional tech tree, though it will have similar elements in Laying Foundations as the NES continued.

TWTUD seque is my primary vote. Second is Imperial Glory.

Top Bottom