NC XXXII: Louis XIV

cas

Emperor
First time hosting one of these, editing the wb file and using photobucket...so be kind if something doesn't work properly. :p

Also my apologies to CivIVMonger who chose the same leader for his prince series this week, but had some problems with his initial post so I'm not sure if he will retry or choose another leader. I liked this map too much to pass on it.

Anyway, on to Nobles Club XXXII: Louis XIV of France. He's IND and CRE and starts with Agriculture and The Wheel. IND is very powerful and a well-liked trait. +50% wonder production and double production speed of the forge. Creative is probably my 4th favorite trait and helps with early border expansions...+2 :culture: per city and double production speed of library, theatre, and colosseum.

His unique building is the Salon. A replacement for the Observatory, it gives +1 free artist. Not my favorite, but can be useful if you're going for the culture win.
Spoiler :

His unique unit is the Musketeer. A replacement for the Musketman, it costs the same hammers but has 2 movement instead of 1. Strong unit if you research gunpowder fast and good pillagers as well.
Spoiler :

The starting position...INLAND SEA MAP, standard size, medium water level setting. Default on the remaining options. For those not familiar with this map type, it has a roughly oval shaped sea in the middle of the map surrounded by land. It is a flat map, so it does not wrap in any direction. I made a couple of small changes and toned down the start position a little bit because it looked too much like NC XXXI.
Spoiler :

small SPOILER comment on the map:
Spoiler :
The starting area is pretty good and you have two strong traits (IND/CRE) but the random AI's are strong in both tech and expansion. Don't sacrifice expansion trying to build every single wonder or you will probably regret it late-game. I'd say this one will be a little harder than average. I'm interested to see how everyone does.

Finally, a cut/paste of the standard NC doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here, fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-save is attached (zipped, they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, I suggest checking out the BUFFY MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC XXXII Louis XIV". This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Prince, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

The WB save is attached; I created it by using TMIT's instructions, so if there are any problems it is his fault. j/k. :lol: It should work at all difficulty levels and speeds (now that I fixed the wb) -- and the starting warrior is not in the same location every time, but I will figure that out before I host another one.

Fingers crossed, hope everything works ok!

Edit: Ok, I think I fixed the wb file. I somehow only saved a couple of necessary changes (beginunit was still in there as was handicap= so the game would not level correctly. And the max turns was not set to 0 either). Apologies to anyone who downloaded the original or the one in post 4. What a mess! Darn you TMIT!

cas

Attachments

• NC XXXII Louis XIV.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 267
Please cas, adjust the Maxturns line. In your file it is
Code:
MaxTurns=500
and it will cause games on Epic or Marathon to finish too soon. you should change it to
Code:
MaxTurns=0

:lol:. Don't go blaming me for "first series host" jitters ;). My guide clearly tells you to change maxturns :p.

Edit: dual corn is toned down :p?!

Removed the wb zip file file from here because it was still not correct. The correct one is now in the original post although the warrior still appears in different places. If you downloaded the one from here, it will not scale correct with diff level and I can only apologize and do better next time I host. :blush:

Since I have a post here, might as well use it for my game progress area. Going for one city (non-OCC) space. I usually fail on Monarch, but I'll give it a go.

Monarch/normal to 1000BC:
Spoiler :

Moved one south to get on river. With only one city, levee is very important...and so is knowing you can build a hydro plant if lacking uranium (no coal with NPark). Going ok so far, but the middle game is usually where I lose focus. Was able to Oracle->CS sling by using my first GSci bulbing math. Oracle in 1400BC...very risky to delay it any longer than that on Monarch, although the inital wonders (Gwall/Shenge) were built fairly late by the AI. Sometimes that is a good gauge and sometimes not.
Research path: pottery->writing->myst->mason->poly->priest->CoL->math(bulb)->CS(Oracle)->mining->BW->Alpha/hunting/fishing(trades)-> currently researching Aesthetics then I will go Literature for NatEp/GLib.

I'm running 4 scientists right now to get out the next GPerson...hopefully scientist...asap, then I will switch to growth/production a little more once the Pyramids are complete.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

To 1AD:
Spoiler :

Going strong through 1AD. After Lit for the NEpic and GLib, I'm resisting the temptation to go after ancillary techs (like Music) and focusing on the ones I need for bio. Everyone except WK is Hindu in my game, which cuts down on the risk of invasion but also will speed up AI research rate (trades) later and possibly doom me with the AP. We'll see.

Tech path 1000BC-1AD:
AH/IW/Archery/Mono(trades)->Aesthetics->Med(trade)->Lit->Monarchy/sailing(trades)->MC->Machinery->Const/Calendar(trades)->currently working on Paper, then Education

Wonders: Pyramids-900BC, HGarden-600BC, NEpic-300BCish, Glib-100BC, MoM(hurry/GE)-50BC. I considered saving the GE or settling him, but I wanted to deny the AI MoM since it is active throughout the game.

I started Schwed Paya, but may switch that. I'm debating whether to hold off Philo a while and build Schwed Paya or go philo after paper then switch to Pacifism. Hatty is friendly with the extra +3 from civics (OR).

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

To 1000AD...and I played WAY too late. Work tomorrow. Bleh!
Spoiler :

Doing ok, but losing tech ground faster than I'd like. WK up to his usual tricks and picking up steam in the tech pace even though he is Bud and no one is trading with him. He has philo and paper, but not education yet...so I still have a good chance at the Lib->Bio sling. Asoka is also going to be a problem with all that land he is expanding into and he converted to Christian...not good on the diplo front.

Tech path: paper->education(1bulb)->PP(1bulb)->Music...couldn't resist with only 5 research turns and a free GA. :) ->currency(trade)->gunpowder->theology(trade)->philo->HBR/compass/Eng(trades)-> currently working on chemistry with 1 bulb, researched to 1 turn left on liberalism, and I have one GSci waiting to help bulb SciMeth. Hopefully another GSci will pop in 3 turns and I can double-bulb SciMeth.

SchPaya-200AD, Sist Chap-720AD-used a GE...mostly to deny the AI for culture win, UnivSank-740AD, AngWat-960AD, currently working on Hagia Sophia but I'm not sure I'll complete before the AI.

So the obvious next phase is lib->bio sling and then build NatPark and forest preserves like crazy. The AP was built by AugC and I don't appear to be in any danger of a AP defeat. But with Asoka as a diff religion, I may have to divert from wondergrabbing and build some military. What a pain!

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

To 1750AD:
Spoiler :

Still moving along nicely, but the tech pace has picked up furious as expected. I was able to sling Lib->Bio then build forest preserves...think I have 14 or so. Not going through the entire list of techs, but basically after bio I went the astro->physics->medicine->electricity->radio route and now I'm teching Industrialism after quite a few trades. So the next goal is to beat the AI to computers and the Internet.

I would be a little ahead of where I'm at, but I made a dumb misclick error and traded for MilSci rather than Combustion...and the game LOVES to give me Great Artists. 5 GArt so far with around 10-14% chance each. :mad: I used two to help bulb Nationalism and one for a GA...had a long 24? turn back to back GA with that. Saving the other two for later Golden Ages I hope.

Missed Hagia Sophia as expected, but built Taj, Kremlin (GE), Statue of Lib (GE), Broadway, Cristo, NationalPark, Kong Maio. As bad as the 5 GArt were, the game also gave me two GE at low chances, so I guess it balanced. I used them for more AI wonder denial (Kremlin / SoL).

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...space loss 1943.
Spoiler :

Traded too many techs around in the early 1800's and JC beat me to the Internet by 1 stinking turn. That spelled doom for my one city attempt. No way I could keep up with the late game tech pace without the Internet. Since I hosted this, I played it out to the inevitable conclusion...JC space victory in 1943.

cas

Ooh this looks exciting. I might give this a go. I might even try to fight a war or two, as the style of map might be helpful by not giving me 6 different border civs.

Man, don't wave a game of Louis XIV in front of me!!! I have to work tomorrow. :sad: Charlie will have to wait until I finish this one.

Marathon / Emperor - Checkpoint 1

Spoiler :

Settled in place. Build order was worker, 2 warriors, settler, 2 warriors, settler, 2 warriors, etc. Each new city had a worker as a first build. Research was Mining, Bronze, Pottery, AH, Hunting, Writing, Fishing and started Masonry. I expanded to block Hatty and claim that sweet FP area. A bad thing is that my initial warrior popped barbs of a hut and got killed right before finding the pigs in the NE. Let's see if I can fit a city there. To do list: hook the resources up and go exploring again and revolt to slavery. There's a river to the West and I'll try to claim it as well. I don't think I'll have much time to build wonders here. All the neighbors I've met are nice: Hatty, Augustus Caesar, Zara and Asoka. I don't know who else is there. The plan is simple: cottage the hell out of the riverside area.

Edit: Thanks for hosting cas! :goodjob:

Inland Sea can be a lot of fun. Easy to block off a ton of land with a few cities and really go on a tear. Might have to give this a go.

Wow its great to see the ol series is still a good runner! You will get the WB file thing right, cas, hang in there, its like dumb programming mistakes, BONK I left that comma WHERE?

One of my fav leaders too. My first game in 6 months was a blowout (drew Darius with Horses in BFC at Prince in semi-isolated isolation, ugh, was over pre-Lib) so I am trying Monarch here, then back to good old Emperor where I had the most fun, I think.

Immortal/Marathon to checkpoint 1, 1000 BC

No tech brokering, lock modified assets, choose religions

Spoiler :
First of all, I decided to settle on the stone. Plainshillstone on a river is probably the best capital spot and while I usually find that those spots don't feature food, this one had one corn, a cow and three flood plains so it was a nobrainer.

On to the game:

I think I got 5 huts, out of which I got 2 scouts, a warrior, mining and a map. Techpath went AH -> Masonry -> Bronze Working -> Iron Working -> Pottery -> Writing -> Aesthetics and the reasoning behind the IW beeline was that I warriorrushed Hatty with 3 warriors and revealed that there were 2 jungle gems south of former Thebes (now Orleans), which incidentally became the holy city of Taoism 2 turns before it's fall.

Four screenies of the empire at 1000 BC, I have 8 cities:

Core:

South:

West:

And finally Paris:

Smooth sailing. I have room for 7 additional good cities and a few crappy ones on top of that and I'm already leading score by a good margin and my neighbors are pleased with me. Looks like it's going to be easy for me.

Don't sweat having a couple of rounds of fixing the WB mistakes -- look how many goofs I made!

Louis might be a good candidate for creating a really nice, big Greatest Wall if you have several cities by the time you build it. OTOH it seems to go pretty fast in most games I play, so there might not be a lot of time. Lots of nice trees to chop into settlers, though...

I will try to finish Charlemagne before starting this one. My first thought is that I'd really like to be on a river. For the fog-gazers out there: does 1W have a river bend on its NW corner? If so I might move the settler 1SW 1N to peek at the land to the SW before settling on that bend.

There is definitely a river on that tile from what I can tell. If I were to move I'd be more inclined to just move 1S myself as that much food looks amazing and I would not want to lose it. The southern corn would be irrigated by the city square once CS is learned and with that much northern forest showing 1-2 "other" resources in the fog are likely.

Emperor, normal speed - 1000bc

Spoiler :
My research was Mining - Popped Masonry from a hut - BW - then beelining Priesthood to get the Oracle and choose Metal Casting as free tech for early cheap Forges - then last worker techs and Writing. Popped Hunting from a hut.
My plan was to go for Mids, GLibrary if there was a marble and stone nearby.. Luckily there was..
Lots of great land to settle on, so no need to rush Hatty, who is expanding and teching very slow. This start is really OP imo.. Stone, Marble, Gold, Ivory, Copper and a Iron at Lyon what more could you ever want?

Anyways my gambit for the Oracle paid off and I got Metal Casting.

At 1000bc I had 4 cities with 2 more in the making.

The two northern cities was going to be production and the 2 southern was to be cottaged. umber one in score and only guy with 4 cities - looking good :)

The demo is meh...

Plan is to expand peacefully to the west after I place 1 last city around Hatty.

Prince/Epic

@ cas. Your first hosting looks like a first-rate game; it's the first time I've played Inland Sea and the French UU is good for one war as surely as speed kills.
The initial thoughts are in a spoiler...
Spoiler :
...because the warrior showed-up 1S of the stone. I'll settle in place and build The Great Wall - it seems the smart move and it's a gimme.

Immortal/Marathon to checkpoint 2, 1AD

Spoiler :
Proceeding as planned at checkpoint 1, I have 16 cities at 1 AD while maintaining a research rate of 140 bpt without deficit so I'm very much in the game - still leading score.

As for wonders, I built the Parthenon, Hanging Gardens and the Great Library. Plans now include to build courthouses all over and get my economy really going.

Techpath was pretty random, I went for Music and traded it around and am pondering whether or not to build Sistine (probably will to keep cultural open - I have lots of religions) and bulbed Philo for trading goodness as well. I'm not on par with the AI techwise but am holding my own.

State of the Empire:

Cities:

Core:

South:

West:

Paris:

Orleans:

Looks like this one is in the bag already.

Looks like this game is turning out easier than I anticipated. Perhaps I'll ask Gyathaar for some map advice next time. :devil:

Anyway, I'd rather make my first hosting too easy rather than too hard. I'm interested to see how the noble/prince crowd progresses through this one.

cas

Emperor/Epic 1000BC

Spoiler :

A decent start... Settled in place. Popped out a few warriors and quickly found Hapshetsut. Posted a warrior outside Thebes and waited. Found a number of huts and popped a scout, some gold and a map or two. Got the stone hooked up and built the Great Wall 2075BC.

Tech order was Mining/BW/Myst (thought about SH but it went very quickly!)/Pottery/Masonry/Writing/IW... traded for Fishing, Hunting, AH...

Found all the neighbours. The one scout has cleared about half the map! He's a sturdy bugger.

Stole Happy's worker and found a second city near the copper to the SW. Got that hooked up quickly and built about 7 axes. It's really too bad that the nearest neighbour (and hence victim) was Hapshetsut, cause she makes an ok partner, but I've found that I need to pretty much worker steal and conquer some early on Emperor to have a shot. Thebes has founded Hinduism and Judaism, and had built the Kari Vish, so I'll start spreading Hinduism.

I'm undecided about what to do with my stack of CR2 axes. The next obvious victim is Yara to the south, but there's plenty of land and he's friendly and Hindu, so maybe I want to buddy up to him. Aug Caes and Asoka are Confucian. Wang Kong and Suleiman are Bhuddist... Not quite sure how to play the religion/diplo.

It's a good start. Plenty of land and resources. I'm tempted to just expand and build wonders. With easy access to stone, marble and gold (and gems, and ivory...) and land perhaps I'll city and wonder spam, liberate some barb cities and play it that way.

I would say this is a pretty easy map. Resources and good land available. Friendly neighbours.

edit: p.s. thanks for hosting this Cas. It's been a little quiet around here lately. Good to see some people joining in!

Emperor/normal - Checkpoint 2 500ad

Spoiler :
Now that I had stone I descided to go for Mids and in 650bc I got them :)

Was hoping Paris would generate a GE, but with the Oracle also in Paris it give birth to a Prophet. I used him to bulb Theology and found Christianity in Orleans. Me, Augu and Asoka are hindu, while Hatty, Zara and Silly are Budhist. Wank researched CoL as the first and are the only Conf - hasn't he heard of diplo points?

Random events wasn't on my side:

But I still managed to build the Glibrary in Paris.

My GPP is really mixed in that city, but I still descided to build the NE in Paris (good/bad descision??). Anyway, my next GP was an engineer :D Going to hurry The Hanging Gardens.

When I got cats it was time for Hatty - who had expanded quite nicely since last checkpoint.

A few turns later I had taken Thebes and Alexandria. My Empire at 500ad with 10 cities:

I'm gonna finish Hatty off and might move on Zara afterwards if my economy allows it.
Most annoying thing is the Roman city just west of me.. Really annoying place - and I don't want Praetoreans as neighbors. Once I get CS I'm gonna start on the Lib race, which I expect to win.

Looks like I might be the first Noble player to post :)

Noble, normal, 1AD

Spoiler :

Fun map (so far), my best start in a long time. I normally play huge lakes so finding Hatshepsut right next door got me thinking about rushing... which I did, and won. Keeping the capital and burning her second city.

History
I settled in place and got to work on chopping workers and a settler. With Hatshepsut so close I switched from expansion to war for the short term figuring long term it would be better to not have her expanding so close to my southern border.

With Hatshepsut out of the way I'm working on a combination of blocking cities and generating some commerce to get my tech research back on track.

I've got a bit complacent having the wall and my power has fallen below the Romans which is probably not desirable, so more troops are on the cards too.

Tech path:
Mining, Bronze Working, Masonry, Hunting, Pottery, Writing, Animal Husbandry, Fishing, Archery, Iron Working, Mysticism, Meditation, Mathematics, Currency, Horseback Riding, Code of Laws, Monotheism, Meditation, Theology.

Significant Events
1800 BC - NC XXXII Louis XIV (France) declares war on Hatshepsut (Egypt)
1520 BC - Egyptian Empire has been eliminated
1200 BC - The Great Wall
400 BC - The Pyramids
475 BC - The Hanging Gardens

[Future]
I'll continue to expand west and south, and maybe crushing Asoka on my way through.
Need to get more commerce on online and build my military.

Some screen shots for your enjoyment :)

Top Bottom