[MAPSCRIPT] Continents.py

TC01

Deity
Some time ago, I created a tutorial on how to convert a mapscript from Civilization IV to Colonization, and then released a conversion of Oasis.py as "NorthAfrica.py". I decided to do it again, this time with Custom_Continents.py from regular Civilization IV.

The main purpose of this mapscript is to be a "bridge" between Caribbean and A_New_World. A_New_World produces a Pangaea or possibly two continents. Caribbean produces one continent and many small islands, but because the islands are so small it isn't really useful to settle them. This script produces anywhere from 2 to 6 continents (or "large islands" on smaller mapsizes") instead. Further, since I converted Custom_Continents instead of Continents, you get to choose the number of Continents.

You should be able to use this mapscript with any mod. However, I advise not using the "One Per Team" option in this mapscript for mods like Age of Discovery II which have many teams. There is not enough room to fit 7 or 8 continents on this map and still have enough Europe plots.

Download here

Installation:

1. Unzip the files (a python file and a readme) to a temporary directory.

2. Copy the Continents.py file into your Colonization/PublicMaps directory.

Credits:

-TC01

-Bob Thomas for making Custom_Continents.py
-Soren Johnson for making Continents.py
-Firaxis for making Civ 4

Screenshots:

There are five screenshots on the download page, all on a huge size map, from 2 to 6 continents.

I added this to the PublicMap folder but it doesn't appear as a selectable map in the game. I have added a few other maps and the original Civ4 continents and they all appeared so not sure what the problem is.

...oh.

The Custom_Continents script that I converted was an advanced only map (i.e., only appeared in Custom Game). I'm honestly not sure why anyone would want maps only available in Custom Game, but that's what the problem is- this map is set up that way too.

This function:

Code:
def isAdvancedMap():
	"This map should not show up in simple mode"
	return 1

In the script is causing the problem. Delete it and the problem will go away.

I'll reupload the map with this fixed.

This was reported before, by CivLucas, when he tried to add it to his mod. I attributed it to errors in the East Indies mod's mapscript directory (a space in one of the map names). Evidently, I was completely off-base.

Top Bottom