Poll: A New Direction

Would you prefer a larger modmod pack featuring all the available modmods?

• No, the old ways are best.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Yes, A larger congolmerate pack would be nice.

Votes: 74 87.1%

• Total voters

Afforess

The White Wizard
I'm merely curious as to what the consensus is out there. I've done nothing concrete with the matter, I just want to know.

IMHO, Yes!

As long as each module is optional then I would say Yes.

JosEPh

It would probably look similar to my installer, every option, optional. Of course, this is all hypothetical.

I'd like a larger modpack but with an installer so you can pick out what you wish!

Would you prefer that I include all the modmods, or that I exclude the graphic or civ addons, to save file space?

That is a good question - you could make 3 or 4 dowloadable installer packs, each sized ~200MB perhaps accessable in first post of Mod-Mod list thread or you could devide it thematically like this (would be different MB sizes of the packs then, naturally)

Merged RoM-Addons for 2.XX

1. Graphics
2. Gameplay
3. Civs
4. Buildings

I, for instance would most certainly only dl 1+2+4 as the new civs don't really interest me - but if it would be all in one big pack, of course I would dl that as well... :D

That is a good question - you could make 3 or 4 dowloadable installer packs, each sized ~200MB perhaps accessable in first post of Mod-Mod list thread or you could devide it thematically like this (would be different MB sizes of the packs then, naturally)

Merged RoM-Addons for 2.XX

1. Graphics
2. Gameplay
3. Civs
4. Buildings

I, for instance would most certainly only dl 1+2+4 as the new civs don't really interest me - but if it would be all in one big pack, of course I would dl that as well... :D

If I split it into multiple packs, it defeats the purpose of installers... The point is to be easy. But also, I don't own a web host nor do have access to one, so I would need to use hated Atomic Gamer or Filefront for anything bigger than 10mb. Any better free web hosting suggestions?

I don't recall the name but when I downloaded some bigger Mod-Components, like AArandas or Jooyos, they used 2 webspace providers with acceptable (good) dl-speed, at least much faster then filefront or atomic gamer. I don't know if you have to register or pay anything there, though.
Best thing would maybe to host half of the Megamodpack on one of them, and the other part on the other so the downloader can dl both packs same time. If all fails you also could make a torrent btw.... who says p2p would not be used for legal purposes anyway? :D
It would have the advantage that you could chose directories to dl, like in an installer, when dl the torrent.
Plus, I would surely share some 1000th% to get the file started.
The torrent solution makes it btw. easier to implement small updates/ new mods continually and to start a new torrent frequently is not so enerving as to upload the stuff on the webspace providers all the time maybe... Whatever I really appreaciate your efforts for the Megamodpack as it will make a lot of things easier to handle (will save hours, essentially) after a reinstall or a release of a new RoM version for example...
So, I cant understand why 20% voted no, other then they like to waste time - time and time again...
But as 80% appreciate this project, I think a few more people should participate in the process of RoMing... ;-)

I like the idea of a torrent, but I have an upload cap here of 2.5gb a week, so I would go over that pretty fast.

I like the idea of a torrent, but I have an upload cap here of 2.5gb a week, so I would go over that pretty fast.

yeah, I understand - but no prob, all you had to do would be to seed it initially (pretty easy at mininova for example, no registration needed, just a good prog like utorrent and a quick reading of a quite simple FAQ on how add a torrent to mininova tracker is required); once seeded, you could stop and let me takeover... from that point, we could ask people with good bandwiths (I only have medium, ~150 kb/sec up) to help a bit to get it running fluetly (scandinavians would really be nice, especially swedes seem to have the largest upload speeds/capacities btw., in my experience...) and when some people share 100% of what they dl (like conscious users do!) it will be fine...

...and regarding the self-hosting solution with a torrent, another idea that could be helping to realize a 24/7-Realtime-Release-Possibility of RoM-Megapack-Versions and even Core-RoM itself or a larger, merged Hyper-Version!!!11!1^^ would be to pick up the RoM-IRC-channel idea of CivEikka (#RiseOfMankind) again -
for instance to handle intern requests or version-updates just before the release of a swarm-sharing, to avoid long seeding times at start of a torrent. Much like a release of a new show on eztv, for instance.
Btw. I doubt there will be that much megapack traffic, atm. I estimate a core group of ModMod-Users of maybe 100-1000, talked at large. And as they don't dl all the same time, but over a period of weeks, it should could work very well. The gain in communications
and synergized efforts could push RoM even higher, even faster. Maybe into a golden age, actually... :king: :lol:

@afforess
Try mediafire
It's very fast, but unfortunately, it's limited the file space just up to 100mb.So you must split the file if you want to upload it there.
Or if you don't want to split the setup file, you can use filefront. Filefront is much better now(after they did their maintenance)
But please, no atomic gamer.

I voted no since I have :cough: dial up :cough: and can't download large files very often.

I think it is a great idea if you are up for the extra work it requires.
The mods would still be found in this forum as "single" files so I cant see why not.
The pros are that it could spread to a wider audience instead of just the hardcore modmod users, who knows how to edit MLF files and stuff.
The cons are the extra work you'll get, having to update/upload the file frequently. (Plus that we might not recruit as many new modmodders, as a lot of the modders here started out... here ;) (Myself included))

I voted no since I have :cough: dial up :cough: and can't download large files very often.

I feel your pain. I had dial up until a year ago. It's like being thirsty and trying to drink rain...

Okay guys, you can try this beta, but be warned, it's a beta. I plan on adding more features (Like Aaranda's mods) and I'm not sure if everything installs okay. If you want anything else added, tell me.

Note: Resource Refinement is turned off, that's why there is no checkbox next to it, and it looks weird. I'll fix it soon, but I just wanted to get this uploaded.

Remember, it's a beta, players be warned.

Download.

Top Bottom