NC XXXIII: Washington

CHEESE!

On a long nostalgia trip
Hey all. It's CHEESE! presenting the 33rd edition of the famed Noble's Club!

Our leader will be:

Washington of the Americans! Usually the less-noticed of the American trio, he still has strong traits, Expansive and Charismatic, giving him not only extra happiness AND extra health, but also -25% experience for promotions, and -25% hammers needed for workers! Hooray!

His unspectacular UU:

A marine that gets 1-2 First Strikes as well as free March. Good if you get that far, not good if you don't...

His very nice UB:

Happiness from Singles, Movies, and Musicals, as well as 20% more gold. Very nice if you get that far, but that is the problem with America.

The start, a Big and Small standard map. No real tweaks, just a few little balances. And here it is: (your Warrior might not be in the same place)

Spoiler :

MAN!

Quick Spoiler comment:

Spoiler :
I might just join the evil mapmakers here. Your land is great, but you are sandwiched by two warmongers. One of which is quite good, with a solid domination-set mind. The other is....

And now for the good ol' copy and paste doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here, fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo, mapmaker extraordinaire, who is just so flipping awesome, and all of you for playing.

The WB-save is attached (zipped, they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, I suggest checking out the BUFFY MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC XXXIII Washington". This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Prince, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Anything wrong with the WBsave, tell me!

Attachments

• NC XXXIII G Washington.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 299
Wow looks like a great start so I'll give it a go. Riverside corn and gold. what more could ya ask for. Decent traits too but bad unique units. oh well. I'll comment once I'm done with the first round.

On the start - wow!

Spoiler :
One of the best bureau capitals I've ever seen! That's a 500 beaker city by endgame if I ever saw one!

I'm thinking I'll try this one out at noble/marathon just for funsies. :mischief:

A capital like that will destroy the world outside of isolation.

Just played to 1 AD. Epic/Emperor sorry no pics or save. I'm a noob like that.

Spoiler :
I settle Washington on the spot.

2650: I found New York 3S 1SE of Washington on for the GP farm.

2100: I found Boston 2S 2SW of Washington on what looks like a good cottage spamming spot. lots of green and wheat.

1625: I complete Code of Laws the turn I complete the Oracle so I grab Philo from it. :):eek: pretty impressive for Emeperor but Monty founded hindu. I convert anyways so at least I know war is coming and i won't get :backstab: I also convert to caste system letting New York taking off as a GP farm. I had three scientists up and running.

1125: First Great scientist is born and I settle in cap

700: Second Great scientist is born so I bulb math. (Was that a waste?) With pacifism I'm pumping these guys out like crazy:)

455: I convert Kublai to toaism so I got a trading parttern and monty is left in the dust:lol:

305: Another GS. getting loads right now and decide to wait to bulb something other than aesthitcs

1 AD: right now I have 5 cities no real production city:cry: I'm gearing up for war though with monty with maces and cats.

Fun game right now.

Whats A Navy- wow!

Spoiler :
You completed the Oracle as you completed the Oracle! Amazing.

Sorry typo
Spoiler :
I finished COL right as I completed the Oracle. My bad:rolleyes:

I don’t really feel like thinking much the rest of the night, and I couldn’t resist this start, so I’ll screw around with this at noble normal - forgot about checkpoint - to about 300 AD.

Spoiler :

In place – capital screams HR and cottages to me. Nice neighborhood – Kublai and Monty. My warrior gets to woodsman 2 on barbs, which means this is a good idea:

It’ll be quite awhile before Kublai gets out of that. Meanwhile, wonders:

Kublai did manage to kill that warrior about 80 turns in, a few turns before I got a second one there, to block some more. Meanwhile, this will not make Monty happy:

Sorry about beating your settler there and boxing you in too. Wonders:

Yes, and I fully anticipated this - units were waiting for him:

Cut off a few turns after this - he has 8 units sitting outside a city of mine with 8 units fortified, so we're at a standstill. Building units to make sure Kublai doesn't try anything too...and lots of land:

Settlers headed to a few of the open spots as well.

EDIT - to about 1500 - no need to finish from here.

Spoiler :

Gotta love AI warfare. Monty sends his axes backwards, and leaves three jags, a spear and an archer next to my city. Obviously, without the axes, that stack gets mauled. He then takes peace for 70 gold.

Meanwhile, massive landgrab continues. And I don’t know why Monty does this:

I have loads of units waiting for him. Gosh it’s been awhile since I played on noble:

Tao in 800 AD. Lib to nationalism and getting set for taj with a wonder:

Decide to wage war with Kublai before he gets longbows. Take 1 city, then he whips a bunch of crossbows, so I just take peace.

Meanwhile…

Better hit him just before feudalism too. He gets a few longbows and elephants up, but no chance against loads of cities. Taj:

And both Monty and Genghis are off the island:

Over from here - not going to bother building galleons to finish everyone else off. All from a ridiculous bureau capital, a choke on genghis and aggressive settling toward monty. too much good land not to blow the ai away on noble.

just got through with the LHC Sid game at emporer. Think I'll play this one on noble/normal one city (non-OCC) for fun. Emp+ causes too much thinking. Too bad the river doesn't extend over to the marble, or I'd definitely move and settle on it.

Over-powered start should be easy. :)

cas

Monarch epic, 1610AD:

Spoiler :

Settled in place (duh!), worker, warrior, warrior, settler, stonehenge, settler. AG, masonry, BW, AH. Settled the stone first, started the mids there asap. After that I blocked Monty in, captured a barb city for the floodplains N of Washington, and settled the iron site E of Wash. Got the mids, was heading for lit after math when Kublai caught me with my pants down. He attacked with 2 swords, 2 axes, and 2 chariots, and all I had to defend with were warriors and chariots. Luckily, I had just hooked up the iron, so I let him have the city (NY, E of Washington), while I turned the slider to 0 and built swords and axes in every city. I upgraded my W2 warrior to an axe and eventually took the city back. I converted to hinduism (Monty founded hinduism and judaism) to keep Monty off my back, but saw no reason to take peace with Kublai. I took his last city with my first couple of cats. I was losing about 25gpt at 0 on the slider, so I limped to currency and CoL to recover the economy.

Meanwhile, I built the GLib in Washington, as well as the MoM. After taking Kublai out, I marched my army back over the continenet and DOWed Monty. I took all of his mainland cities, leaving him with 1 island. I had a bunch of CR3 maces and swords after that war. Built the HE in Washington, where I settled 2 GGs. I attached one to my W3C1Shock axe (I stupidly clicked shock instead of medic I - I could have gotten him to M3 with the GG :mad: ). After that, I had the continent pretty much to myself.

I had a decent tech lead at this point, to I took engineering (built ND) then headed for liberalism. After education I decided to go for rifling from lib, which I got. Stupidly, Surya and Hannibal DOWed my the turn before I finished lib. Han had a couple of cities on the jungle peninsula near the eastern end of the continent, so I took all 3 of them and then got peace with both him and Surya.

I've gotten MilTrad, chem, and astro, and am heading for steel. Then maybe it's smackdown time. :ar15: I'll post some screenies later.

Hi

Grr tried it but it wouldnt let me play on marathon it just stayed at 750 turns.

Kaytie

Have I got those wrong? I'll check.

Edit: woohoo... max turns at 750. I will post a new one.

Okay all, I'm trying to sort this out. For some reason the Worldbuilder save wants to swap our start with someone else's. Bear with me as I fix it.

Edit: all done.

Hope you appreciate this KaytieKat! Took a while!

Hi

Yes I like this series alot so I am VERY appreciative for you and dalamb and meatbuster and rolo and TMiT and all the others who been keeping all these series alive :)

Kaytie

Save seems good to go, I'm starting now.

Emperor/Epic to 200AD
Spoiler :
There's marble over there. Ignoring the stone, the future seems ripe for Marble-powered Wonders.

Tech path:
Wheel, Pottery, Mining, BW, Masonry, Myst, Poly, Priesthood, IW (yeah, I was afraid of Kublai), Writing, Aest, Metal Casting (free tech), Lit, Math, Construction, CoL...
I am disappointed that no one else has Alphabet yet!

Next tech? Monarchy, CS, Music or Alpha are choices. Alpha, so I can pay Monty to go for KK or at least butter him up for tech trades so he won't backstab me while I go for KK. The rest are quite self-explanatory.

Wonders:
Oracle, GLib at Washington...

That's one expensive monument. :lol:

Have been building up troops recently. I now have swords, spears, axes and catapults. Now I just have to pick a target. KK is my next-door neighbor, but even with catapults it's going to take a while to batter down his cultural defenses. However, he is already getting frisky with the -2 shared border penalty, while Monty... well I'll just leave him alone for now.

The American empire at 200AD...

Hi

With this game all fixed (thanks again cheese :) ) and LHC game going buggy I'll try this one again :)

Prince, Marathon, 260 AD

Spoiler :
Goody huts were nice to me. Two scouts, 2 warriors, wheel and bw. Saw Kubbie come from the west and monty in the east.

Now say what ya will bout Marathon. I KNOW lots of people say its easier cuz of cheaper units comparded to buildings thingy. (although since AI's get same dealio I dont see how its THAT big of an advantage) I never realy felt that way it seems everything balnces out in the end what witht he tuffer diplo and less time to deal with surpize attacks etc but there IS ONE ting that makes marathon h e dbl hocketsticks on some AI's:

Those that start with a scout can be dead if they dont get that warrior out fast hehe.

So with Kubbie out of the game and with warriors from goody huts PLUS whipping/building a few more:

Monty had time to tech archery but didnt have time build ne archers.

So with monty's capitol going I chopped GW there so I wont need to fogbust much (I know babries were turned off but I turned em back on hehe ) while chopping Stonehenge in washington. I spent LOTS of time wonderwhoring so I didnt expand quite as fast I should have but I think I did ok considering the wonderspree.

My empire at this point:

Some nice cities going already with washington, Teothingamagig and New York going nice now :)

tech sitch:

Sury has machinery on me but other than that I am managing to keep up techwise. Mostly by whoring out CoL and alphabet to backfill some stuff.

Demos:

I need to up my power a lil bit but as soon as machinery is done I can start building maces which SHOULD keep me safe for awhile. I HOPE so anyways.

Well that it for now. NOOO plan yet on victory. Just gonna try and settle out this big land mass then see how things look after that. Wish me luck :)

Kaytie

Was turning off the barbs intentional? It doesn't seem right to do this in what is supposed to be a teaching game. Nor is it mentioned in the first post.

Top Bottom