A Gift To The Community

Ozymandias

In Terra Fantasia
Supporter
Many of you know how strongly I feel about our little on-line community. As might be expected, I'm always sorry to see talented and pleasant people leave.

One particular delight for me since joining CFC some 8 years ago has been checking this sub-forum for new creations by Wyrmshadow, whom circumstances have forced to put aside unit making as a hobby for the time being.

So I decided to commission several units from him, mostly meant to fit into my nearly-historical "What-ifs".

The first is the U.S. Holt (now Caterpillar) steam powered "150 Ton Land Monitor". It was the 3rd tank built by the U.S., ca. 1917-1919 (information on this beast is hard to come by, to a point where some sources site 3 wheels, others 4). Its main gun was a 75mm mountain howitzer.

I secretly suspect it was planned with Pancho Villa in mind.

Wyrmshadow's latest-and-greatest can be found HERE.

Enjoy.

To Community :beer: ,

Oz

With thanks to General 666 for the fixed .gif :goodjob: [And note: .gif temporarily removed: see HERE.]

-O.

Attachments

• monitor2.jpg
    monitor2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 10-17-2009 6-33-04 PM.jpg
    10-17-2009 6-33-04 PM.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 415
Wow, that is a tremendous looking vehicle... and although I do have great interest in historical war machines, I have never heard of this before (Thank You! I learned something new today :)). Wyrmshadow has talent that is monumental; I don't know what he does for a living, but I think he could be doing this for a job at a software company... The detail is stunning.

About the .gif, I know that if the .gif is over 500KB in size, which is the .gif limit, it will change it to a .jpg; but 500KB is a pretty hefty gif... but it's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for putting it up here Oz. Hopefully Wyrmshadow visits here often and stays in touch.

Tom

Thank you so much. Even though I can't use it, it made me very happy just to see a new creation by Wyrm. Thank you both.

WOW !!! That`s a cool Monster Tank !:goodjob:
And made out of wood ? Or is it Metal ?
GREAT any way !
:thanx:

Metal. At least one prototype was so underpowered that it mired after 50 ft. I asked Wyrm to make it a color fit for going after Pancho Villa, and some thoughts I'm giving to an ... interesting ... mod :mischief:

Best,

Oz

The small 3 wheeled prototype may have had a 75mm gun and only weighed 15-20 tons. This monster had a 6 inch coastal artillery cannon and had 20ft diameter wheels.

The small 3 wheeled prototype may have had a 75mm gun and only weighed 15-20 tons. This monster had a 6 inch coastal artillery cannon and had 20ft diameter wheels.

That looks & sounds about right :thumbsup:

Great Work,

Oz

That's so smegging awesome that I may just replace Aaglo's excellent Empire Steam Tank as the default Steam Tank in the FF mod....

...Of course, Aaglo's tank will likely remain in as the flavor steam tank for the Dwarves...

EDIT: Those In-game shots make that thing look almost as big as my Land Battleship! (Then again, from the description that thing sounds like it WAS almost as big as my Land Battleship)....

Wow, that's a big 'un!

:goodjob: Oz & Wyrm!

Oz: What is about that gif ? I would like to have it and it should be added to the OP !
You can rar or zip the file. I will use then AnimationShop to make it smaller.
I would upload it as a rar and you could stick it to the OP.
So let me know...

Oz: What is about that gif ? I would like to have it and it should be added to the OP !
You can rar or zip the file. I will use then AnimationShop to make it smaller.
I would upload it as a rar and you could stick it to the OP.
So let me know...

Okay, here ya go :)

Thx,

Oz

PS - Merde. Is an .ace OK?

-O.

Attachments

• landmonitor.ace
    563.1 KB · Views: 68
"That's a huge b****!!!!"

No Seriously, that thing is uber-gargantuan! Never knew the Americans developed such a badass puppy! :goodjob:

Nice work Wyrm, and thanks for uploading it Ozy! ;)
Its a paper panzer.

...so along the lines of ye olde Tsar Tank, eh? ;)

The Tsar Tank was actually built, but couldn't move.

The only protype built of the Holt tank was this:

The Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor, 3 Wheeled Steam Tank

Almost no data survives on this strange vehicle built by Holt sometime between 1916 and 1917. It is known that it really existed, and it moved about 50 feet before becoming stuck at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Twin two piston steam engines provided power (one engine devoted to each large wheel). Records do not indicate which end was the front. At 150 tons, this would have been the largest, and heaviest vehicle built in that era. Most likely TANKS! considers this to be a error in the archives and most likely the tank weighed 15 tons or the 150 ton moniker was an effort to hide the design from would-be spies.

Another source states that the vehicle was built by Holt and was called the "Three Wheeled Steam Tank". It was the 3rd tank to be designed in the United States and was completed in 1918. The hull was carried at the front by two 8' diameter tractor wheels and the rear of the vehicle was supported by a triple disc steering roller to which was attached a small steel plate for trench crossing. Each front drive wheel had it's own power unit which consisted of a Doble 2 cylinder 75hp engine and kerosene fired boiler. Main armament was a 2.95" mountain howitzer mounted low in the front. a .50cal Browning HMG was carred in a ball mount on the hull sides. The stated weight was a more believeable 17tons.

So it just looked like an armored farm tractor.

The tank I made can be found here.
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/american_landships.htm

Wyrmshadow has talent that is monumental; I don't know what he does for a living, but I think he could be doing this for a job at a software company... The detail is stunning.
Tom
well..

Top Bottom