NOTW XXIX: Hired Swords - Game Thread

PaulusIII

Unholy Warlord
Night of the Werewolves XXIX: Hired Swords

Night had already fallen, the members of the Company were asleep. Their victory over the Illians had been achieved, but it was a harsh battle and the men had deserved their rest. As far as most of them were concerned, the mission was finished and all that was left for them was the long road home.

One of them did not sleep, though. Paulus the Captain was still watching the city burn in the distance, comtemplating his deeds. This contemplative moment was interrupted by the cold steel of a weapon being pressed against his back.

“So. The rumours I heard of betrayal were true then. "

The cloaked man behind him hissed. “You know what I want.”

“I fear I no longer have what you want. I took heed of the whispers, gave them to people I trusted, and made sure they’ll get them home. The full Company deserves reward for this victory. Not just you, nor your conspirators. And the men’ll rip you to shreds for what you are planning to do.”

The cloaked man replied, “They’ll never know.”. Then, he thrust the weapon forward, skewering the Captain. While Paulus died, the cloaked man disappeared in the night.

Day gave two unpleasant surprises for the men. Not only had the Captain been murdered, the horses had been poisoned during the night as well!

The grim conclusion was reached pretty fast. There were forces at work from inside the Company, working against them all. In a desperate move, they decided to execute one member of the Company each day whom they thought to be working against them. A vote would be held to find the untrustworthy.

Also, someone had to take the Captain's place as leader of the Company. There would be a vote on that as well.

The Company was facing the greatest trouble ever.

Updates

Morning, day 1: The Captain is found murdered and the horses are dead. The Company has a long, long walk to go.

Player List

Adept (Lanun) - sithlord447 - Lynched, evening 3
Adventurer (Grigori) - Backwards Logic - Alive
Axeman (Grigori) - Khazaar - Alive
Battlemage (Amurite) - KingMorgan - Blasted apart, night 5
Battlemaster (Doviello) - TheForestAuro - Frozen, night 1

Berserker (Clan of Embers) - sprig - Hacked apart, night 6
Champion (Amurite) - rhawn - Poisoned, night 6 - Illian!
Charioteer (Hippus) - Love - Hacked apart, night 7
Dragonslayer (Grigori) - TheLastOne36 - Alive
Druid (Ljosalfar) - civplayah - Knifed, night 1

Firebow (Amurite) - Krill - Alive
Fyrdwell (Ljosalfar) - Malakh - Alive
Halberdier (Doviello) - thomas.berubeg - Alive
Hunter (Doviello) - Stuck in Pi - Alive
Lizardman (Clan of Embers) - Diamondeye - Poisoned, night 3

Longbowman (Lanun) - Nictel - Lynched, evening 8 Undercouncil agent!
Maceman (Sidar) - Ekolite - Hacked apart, night 8
Mounted Archer (Hippus) - Winston Hughes - Alive
Mounted Axeman (Hippus) - Autolycus - Lynched, evening 7 Illian!
Mounted Lancer (Hippus) - Renata - Left, morning 1

Mounted Swordsman (Hippus) - johnhughthom - Alive
Pikeman (Sidar) - cindle - Alive
Raider (Lanun) - Double A - Shot through the heart, night 8
Ranger (Ljosalfar) - Pinman - Knifed, night 4
Shadow (Sidar) - Frozen in Ice - Lynched, evening 6 - Illian!

Sharpshooter (Ljosalfar) - choxorn - Alive
Slinger (Doviello) - Sepuku - Knifed, night 3
Spearfighter (Clan of Embers) - J-man - Lynched, evening 4
Swordsman (Lanun) - Seon - Lynched, evening 5 - Traitor!
Witch Doctor (Clan of Embers) - askthepizzaguy - Alive
Wizard (Amurite) - TForge13 - Alive

Execution votes in bold, support votes in bold green, and votes for the new captain in bold blue!
Night falls in 47 hours, 10 PM GMT!

Post away!

Guess I'm not a mounted axeman anymore. Whoever poisoned my horse will pay, in blood or money.

I am a ranger, those who would shroud themselves in shadow don't scare me.

Let them try and come for me.

I would like to be the new captain. I am wise and will help you all through this tough time. Plus, my skills as a mage may be vital in our quest to return home.

No kidding.

The Berserker was eager, the bloodlust from the Illian battle still pulsed through his veins. He thought his work was over but the prospect of a new enemy had rekindled the fire within him. The fact that he was not able to participate in the final battle hurt his pride. Perhaps there was someway to make up for that.

“Well, Well, Well, Trouble in camp, seems we have brought enemies with us. We will need a strong leader; the Talents of the Battlemaster, TFA did not go unnoticed."​

I am not wise.

Now there's a WIFOM you ya.

I would like to be the new captain. I am wise and will help you all through this tough time. Plus, my skills as a mage may be vital in our quest to return home.

The Lancer meets the mage's eyes steadily.

Your skills are best used elsewhere, civplayah, without the burden of leadership to distract you. And that goes for the rest of you as well!

He raises a long, needle-sharp lance and dramatically smashes it to the ground. It shatters into splinters.

With no horse and no weapon I can use on foot, I can serve our Company no other way. Elect me Leader.

The Horse Archer - a slender man with long, dark hair - stares down at his dead mount, and shakes his head sadly.

Such cowardice...

His eyes narrow as he looks up at the rest of the company.

Knives in the back? Poison? I thought we were all supposed to be warriors here, but it seems some amongst us are afraid of a stand-up fight.

Now now, we are wasting our time with this 'new Company Leader' business. Let's worry on such matters when we get out of here.

While you guys were arguing over leader matters, I was observing the body of our late leader Paulles. It seems he was killed by a sword.

Whoever is the killer should have possession of a sword, or has stolen a sword from one of our own during the night.

The wound is that of a stabbing weapon. That could be a sword, the end of a spear or halberd, or even someone's dagger.

"You capable of skewering the Captian with just a dagger?"​
Laughing as he made to get ready for the walk ahead
"As for the wound, I am sure you will have no trouble in finding a suitable amount of weapons that might be fit for making a wound of that type."
"We ARE a bunch of Mercinaries you know."​

Still laughing the Beserker surveys the crowd around the captains body

"Now where did that Lanun Swordsman, Seon get to? I saw him here earlier but it seems he had nothing to say. One wonders if he was just checking out his handywork"​

The swordsmen shrugged. "I indeed had nothing to say, sprig the berserker. The captain is dead, and I was quite shocked. Oh, and you can also go cool your head in a bucket."

The Sharpshooter asks why the Halberdier is talking so loud. [/subscribe]

Top Bottom