Civilization: Chinese
Map: Special map (60x150); 6 civ's, flat
Difficulty: Warlord
Barbarians: Villages only
Restarts: Off
Victory only by spaceship

Starting Techs:
~ None

This month a special one. We go back in history. Way back to one of the ice ages. Land is bad and hard to work on. Can you survive and build a great empire. Good luck.

Games will be due on Dec. 13th, 2009.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file).

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Starting save is here

Last edited:
Hello, GOTMers! It's been a long time, but I picked up Civ2 again, and I have been playing this map. It is crazy! But fun so far!

I don't believe that I've played a GOTM since #34, by my recollection.

Additional task:
Once you know the map, try to beat the game before
Spoiler :
3000BC (unsinkable Tiremes forbidden!)

Hexer - What do you mean ? Did you notice that you must win by landing ?

Well, thats the additional part, i guess :lol:

I really didn't see that part saying Victory only by Starship. Still a fun challenge. A Second early conquest try did it in 3180BC. No need for spoilers anymore...

Well, that's pretty good. That's the earliest conquest date I can remember. I believe DaveV and maybe a few GOTMers have had conquests in the 2xxx BC years on higher levels, so approx the same number of turns as your game. Could be a record. I guess you did it mainly with fast units from huts, such as horsemen and chariots.

This is going to be a spoileralert ;)

Spoiler :
The time i played the 2 early conquest games I already knew the map. So I knew this was one huge continent with tons of huts. I remembered some kind of comparison game on a huge map with large continents in a german forum where they discussed the most effective strategy. One of the players suggested to build no cities and just go for the huts. The amount of huts per turn will increase from turn to turn. Thats what I did in those games.

When your first units arrive at the coast, use your settler to build your first city and then search for a nomad in a hut near the coast to get your boats out. All you need up to this point: a huge force, some money to rushbuy 5 caravels (is it the right word in english?), navigation. And that's where the huts come into play.

In my first game, I opened as much huts as possible and was able to get Invention in 3560BC. I had around 30 units and 1000+ gold. In the second game I decided to open just enough to do the job. Just Navigation + 12-14 Units moving to the next river to get down to the coast and was just a few turns better.

Note: Once you get Invention there will be no more advances from huts. I didn't know that!

And jap, I only used Horsemen/Chariots and later I even got some Elis on the way. Since it is so easy to keep peace with the AI just line up two strong units in front of their capital (2/3 civs managed to build a second city) and destroy it. There was only one capitals with an (1) archer, two with one phalanx each and two with warriors, so not really a threat.

I have been gone for 1.5 years. I anonymously checked the forum every once in a while. I was hoping to be back by game 100, but was just too busy with life. I am hoping I will be able to finish this one despite starting late.

Glad to see many of the participants are still here.

Magic Gorter, congratulations on becoming a moderator and thanks for taking up the responsibility.

Resource seed is 50. One tile north is 4 specials: 2 whale types plus the two visible ones. Black clicking is useless due to being on land mass 1.

Welcome back, Ali and Marlos. I probably won't play this one, but hope we will meet again in GOTM 105.

Thanks. I certainly hope I can stick around for more than this one game.

Peaster, I encourage you to reconsider. This game with its odd map requires a lot of original thinking.

This game with its odd map requires a lot of original thinking.

:lol: I have no doubts about that! Magic Gorter has founds many ways to challenge us over the past year. Hopefully, some players will succeed here, and we can read about their solutions in the spoiler.

I can afford the time for about half the upcoming GOTMs, if I stick to relatively fast conquest games. Also, this one would be especially hard for me, since my style depends on decent terrain.

I will take some time tomorrow to play the first couple of turns for an AC-game. I'm quite confident of my strategy but I will write more in the spoiler thread.

Top Bottom