Lukrees Space Terrain Graphics v.3

tpasmall

Dark Lord Of The Sith
I seen some request for space graphics and here are some ;) They are very good looking graphics that one of the Star Wars Mod members made for the mod. I dont know what happened to Lukree, so not all the graphics are changed.

"This is my first graphical mod for Civ. At the beginning it was quite frustrating to figure out how the surface is tiled and how to work with righ palette, but afterwards I'm pleased how I managed to tile the terrain quite right. It's not perfect - but quite good.

Install notes:
Copy and replace all files to Art/Terrain -folder under your Civ3 install folder. Make backup of original files if you want to restore the original terrain.

Files included:
deltaRivers.pcx | Rivers ending nowhere, delta removed

mountain forests.pcx | Mountains changed to less red
mountain jungles.pcx |
Mountains.pcx |
Mountains-snow.pcx |

PolarICEcaps-final.pcx | Ice caps changed to "edge of universe"

wCSO.pcx | Coast changed to "athmosphere", sea changed
wOOO.pcx | to "Space" and ocean changed to "deep space"
wSSS.pcx | with planets and stars

xdgc.pcx | The coast is changed to meteorite beaten
xdgp.pcx | planet surface, tundra is changed to look
xdpc.pcx | less "spotty" and desert is changed to look
xggc.pcx | hotter
xpgc.pcx |
xtgc.pcx |"
-Lukree

Lukrees Space Terrain Graphics

Attachments

• lst_changed.jpg
    lst_changed.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4,574
I feel really bad about being a critic, because what you have done looks very good. However, what I think others, and what I want, is a terrain set in which the tiles represent planets. So instead of making a continent represent a planet. Thus, a tile of grassland becomes an Earthlike planet(or class M, as Gene Rodenbery called it), plains becomes a Gas Giant(jupiter) , forest a forest or jungle world(think Endor), Jungle becomes toxic world(like Venus), Desert becomes desert world(Tatooine or Arakis), flood plains become rock worlds(think Mercury), Tundra becomes an Ice world(Hoth), Hills become stars (like the Sun), Mountains are asteroids, and coast would be space, seas would be deep space, and oceans would be nebulae(make them tough to go through with FTL ships).

This is the way I envision a space terrain set. Some things I would like to add include, but can't because of the limitations of terrain types, include moons, planetary rings, planet types like Jungle(split Forest into Forest and Jungle), volcanoe worlds, Savannah worlds, Gaia worlds, different star types(red, yellow, blue), etc.

Sorry about all that blab. I know that such a design will mean that maps will have to be hand-crafted, becuase the editor will not make functional star systems. Also, you will have to greatly increase the resources given by each of the planets, but I still think it would be cool.

edit: It would be better to have hills be nebulae, and oceans as stars, so that nothing can go "on" a star. All you have to do is restrict ship travel to seas, and it should work. Also, it looks like you can't rename terrain tiles. Bummer.

The mod is designed to use random maps, so we felt this type of terrain was needed.

i think u should make it more space like(like donal said) it looks weird to have some grasland and then having the coast/sea/ocean as space, its unrealistic.

Could definitely be cool for a fantasy mod. Reminds me of the early dreams in Baldur's Gate II.

I have a question. What programs did you use to create the space graphics tile set? I would really appreciate it for my space mod that I am making.

Originally posted by Donal Graeme
I feel really bad about being a critic, because what you have done looks very good. However, what I think others, and what I want, is a terrain set in which the tiles represent planets. So instead of making a continent represent a planet. Thus, a tile of grassland becomes an Earthlike planet(or class M, as Gene Rodenbery called it) ...

If you (or anyone else) is happy to only cater to custom maps, then a map of all sea with single tile islands would be a good starting point for space and planets.

And, by the way, your space ocean looks lovely already.

By tweaking the coast tiles it should be possible to make a single tile island and its coastline appear as a circle - giving a planet.

Then each terrain type would represent a different class of planet - as described by Donal.

Are there different coast tiles for each terrain type? If so, then you could use 2x2 islands of say forest as a gas giant, and using the forest coast tiles, make this 2x2 island appear round.

One of the ocean specials could be redefined as "Star" which would provide engery (i.e. shields) only. Picture to match.

Other ocean specials could be used for asteroids or comets.

Just thowing some more ideas in the pot!

Peter

I have a question. What programs did you use to create the space graphics tile set? I would really appreciate it for my space mod that I am making.

I actually am not the one who made these graphics, they were made by a part of the old Star Wars mod team, by Lukree. I dont think hes around anymore.

Hello!

I'm still alive and fighting, but not having any time with anything else than "ordinary life" - that sucks. I would really like to continue with the graphics, but I must admit I don't know when I'm going to have any time for that.

I think my basic Space terrain set would look pretty much "star wars" when there is certain units etc. around. But at least all the city and resource icons should still be designed... Anyone interested?

The only program used is photoshop.

You can use those graphics as long as my name is mentioned somewhere. And I would also appreciate if you ask for Tpasmall about his opinion for using those graphics (they are anyway originally designed for Star Wars -mod).

-Lukree

I feel really bad about being a critic, because what you have done looks very good. However, what I think others, and what I want, is a terrain set in which the tiles represent planets. So instead of making a continent represent a planet. Thus, a tile of grassland becomes an Earthlike planet(or class M, as Gene Rodenbery called it), plains becomes a Gas Giant(jupiter) , forest a forest or jungle world(think Endor), Jungle becomes toxic world(like Venus), Desert becomes desert world(Tatooine or Arakis), flood plains become rock worlds(think Mercury), Tundra becomes an Ice world(Hoth), Hills become stars (like the Sun), Mountains are asteroids, and coast would be space, seas would be deep space, and oceans would be nebulae(make them tough to go through with FTL ships).

The way Civ3 treats the terrain types I think it's a bit too tricky to make such maps?! Well, hopefully someone proves I'm wrong! ;)

When I designed that terrain set I wanted that it could be played quite "normally" - like any civ-game. Meaning that the space is not too big part of the SW-universe. I wanted the terrain types being big part of the game, for example Hoth, Tatooine and Naboo/Endor are having very different athmospheres and therefore my terrain set has those snow, desert and plains -terrains in big role. The mere "planets" as a single planet -icon would be too sterile and distant from SW universe.

If a planet was single tile, planetary combat would be reduced to "amphibious" assault and bombardment from space. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but it will simply on work if futuristic ground combat is supposed to play any part in a mod.

You could very easily convert 4 corner tile graphics into a spherical shaped planet. It would be 4 tiles big. But you would only be able to create 4 different planets.

I'm wrong, depending on how many different tiled corners you can find, you should be able to create at least 10 different planets and even a few larger than 4 tiles big

sorry, not 4 tiles big, actually the smallest you can go are 3x3 tiles. So you have to change 9 tiles to make one planet with 4 tiles of land to use.

Why not just have one tile islands that look like stars... and then have a few resources for the different planet types around each of the stars. Then the cities would represent a home system, not just a planet. And you can add as many resources for the different types of planets and asteroids as you want.

Well I've been gone for some time, but i decided to peak in real quick and noticed this thread was active. I think Snoopys idea is to more accomodate those who want to be able to have full scale ground combat (the all but dead star wars modders) instead of just home planets and space combat. Snoopys idea sounds very good to me, but once again the problem being its not good for randomly generated maps, which is what the mod was going for. But for custom maps, it sounds like one of the best ideas ive heard thusfar.

BTW- I have pretty much completely retired from the Star Wars Mod team, my computer that I was using for it no longer works, and I cant get the files off it. Everything that is available for the mod is on the mods website or on civfanatics, I dont have time to work on the Mods website anymore, but maybe I'll get to updating it someday....

Im interested in downloading this, but the link says file not found

Thank you :)

Top Bottom