Promotions for the Other Units

Khan Quest

Prince
Military units can gain experience, and receive promotions. I was thinking what about promotions for the other units – spies, workers and settlers? What kind of promotions could they earn and how would they gain experience? For spies, it’s easy. For workers and especially settlers, there is no reasonable way they could gain experience.

Spies

Experience is gained by successfully conducting spy missions.
Castles, Security Bureaus, and Spy Agencies each provide trained spies +1 XP.

Promotions
Infiltration I, +10% avoid detection
Infiltration II, +20% avoid detection
Espionage I, +5% mission success
Espionage II, +10% mission success
Espionage III, +15% mission success
Evasion, + 10% to escape with successful mission; 10% chance to escape with unsuccessful mission.
Improvisation I, -25% mission cost
Improvisation II, +1 movement
Improvisation III, return to nearest city
Counter- Espionage I, +10% detect spies
Counter- Espionage II, +20% detect spies
Counter- Espionage III, +10% determine country of origin
Counter- Espionage IV, 25% turn spy. Turned spy is visible. Turned spy’s are never “caught” in turners civ, although missions may fail (success for turned spies reduced 50%). Turning civ receives equal number of turned spy’s expended espionage points, for missions turned spy conducts in turner’s civ. Civ with compromised spy has 10% chance permission to realize spy is turned; turned spy is destroyed.

Workers and Settlers

Rather than promotions, workers and settlers acquire skills. Skills are dependent upon technological discoveries. Newly trained workers and settlers gain all available skills. Workers and settlers can be upgraded.
Indian workers are auto-upgraded for free. Indian workers start with Navigation and Outfitting.

Promotions
Navigation, available with Compass, can enter forest and jungle without losing movement.
Outfitting, available with Mathematics, can enter hills without losing movement.
Planning, available with Writing, +1 road movement.
Defense I, available with Iron Working, strength = 1, defense only, cannot defend cities/forts.
Defense II, available with Feudalism, strength = 2, defense only, cannot defend cities/forts.
Apprenticism, available with Guilds, workers make improvements 25% faster.
Provisioning, available with Calendar, settlers found cities half filled with grain.
Staging (?), available with Combustion, roads built in 1 turn, railroad in 2 turns.
(Can anyone think of more?)

I like the idea of promotions for spies, but I don't think promotions for workers and settlers would be so good. Technological discoveries already unlock the ability of workers to build certain improvements, which in effect is a type of promotion, so additional promotions would be a duplication. And the promotion system doesn't really apply to non-combat units (i.e. settlers and workers), anyway, although it would work for spies, who could gain experience through successful missions.

I too miss spy XP and promo's...

Good idea to implement in the Civ 5 or even the next Civ 4 patches

How about if a unit defending a worker NOT in a city wins, the Worker gets XP to upgrade themselves

Why? What realistic justification is there for this? It's not like the worker actually did anything to avoid getting killed/captured. The only possible way that workers could get experience that seems remotely realistic to me is the gaining of experience through building improvements with a BFC (to avoid the improvements spamming that would occur on unused tiles if experience was simply gained through building improvements anywhere).

The only possible way that workers could get experience that seems remotely realistic to me is the gaining of experience through building improvements with a BFC (to avoid the improvements spamming that would occur on unused tiles if experience was simply gained through building improvements anywhere).
1) some other unit can always pillage and a worker can build something there again
2) any unit should be able to gain XP through training [that costs gold]!

Then that just gives you an incentive to spam improvements outside of your BFCs, and then repeatedly pillage and rebuild them.

As to XPs for workers, I suppose it might be useful to have a workforce specialized according to how XPs are allocated -- XPs gained by completed projects I suppose. Some workers could specialized as road-builders, others as miners, others as cottage-builders, or some other system. I'm sure a mod could be created fairly easily that would allow for such things. But, really, I wouldn't place this idea on my wish list & I don't think it is a priority for the core game. Just my opinion.

Why? What realistic justification is there for this? It's not like the worker actually did anything to avoid getting killed/captured. The only possible way that workers could get experience that seems remotely realistic to me is the gaining of experience through building improvements with a BFC (to avoid the improvements spamming that would occur on unused tiles if experience was simply gained through building improvements anywhere).

well it does kind of make sense, workers have axes to get rid of forests yet they cant try to stand up to a warrior?

I agree with Camikaze, promotions for spies is good, but other units is pointless. Perhaps though some of those promotions you mentioned could simply be passively added to your workers/settlers as your tech improves. Not all of them but maybe a few ( I kind of like the half-filled with grain one).

I'd suggest those buildings that give spies XP give them a little more. If you look at Military XP, buildings give from 2 to 5 XP, so Spy buildings should do the same. I also suggest Castles give a healthy bonus to increase the odds of them getting built. (And even then I probably still won't build one. :p )

workers could always get experience for working, but the only promotions they'd get are for movement or something like that.

Worker promotions are pointless, as someone said many things are unlocked trough tech advances. Spy promotions are the only realistic of the three mentioned.

Got some extra on spies. For one, Great Spies can act like Great generals, providing experience to spies. Here are some upgrades:

Recon Line:

Recon I - Grants automatic 1 EP/turn to target player when stationed in a city
PreReq: None
Recon II - Grants additional 2 EP/turn to target player when stationed in a city (3 EP's total)
Recon III - Grants additional 5 EP/turn to target player when stationed in a city (8 EP's total)
Recon IV - Grants additional 12 EP/turn to target player when stationed in a city (20 EP's Total)
PreReq: Great Spy Leader

Vision Line: Simply perform an espionage task on one unit. If successful, the unit is visible to the player for the remainder of the game (or until it dies)

Vision I - Grants vision of one unit of Medieval caliber or lesser indefinitely
PreReq: Hereditary Rule available to civ
Vision II - Grants vision of one unit of Industrial caliber or lesser indefinitely
PreReq: Mercantilism available to civ
Vision III - Grants vision of all units (except Great People)
PreReq: Police State available to civ
Vision IV - Allows the capture of Great People (they return to your capital)
PreReq: Great Spy Leader OR Police State USED by civ

And one final line (available only to spies lead by Great Spy, the spy must have survived at least 10 missions pertaining to a city)

Expertise Line:

Expertise I: +10% success and defense with espionage, +1 visibility range
Expertise II: +10% success and defense, +20% effect when formenting unhappiness, poisoning water, or stealing from treasury
Expertise III: +10% success and defense, +30% effect when formenting unhappiness, poisoning water, or stealing from treasury
Expertise IV: +10% success and defense, +50% effect when formenting unhappiness, poisoning water, or stealing from treasury, and -33% espionage cost
Expertise V: +10% success and defense, +1 range for destroying tile improvements (excludes water tiles, this essentially acts like an area of effect mission, destroying up to 9 tile improvments)

I hope you like my last promo line, considering my outrageous prerequisites to get it.

I think all the suggested Spy promotions sound very good, although Expertise I-V should rather be Expertise II-VI with Expertise I being a weaker promotion, because especially Expertise V is such a powerful promotion.

As for the Worker promotions, I think that some of them could be given as abilities to all Workers when a certain tech is discovered in addition to the current ones. I don't think that there's any need for Settler promotions.

Top Bottom