Unit Art

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
This thread is going to be under-construction for a while since there are a lot of units to get through...

I have said I would try and come up with an overall unit art plan. It is going to take a while to get all my thoughts on the subject down, but I thought I'd make a start anyway.

Guardsmen (as of Dune Wars 1.6.4)

From left-to-right, back-to-front:
Heavy Trooper, Lasgun Soldier, Lasgun Trooper
Rocket Trooper, Missile Trooper, Mongoose Trooper, Bee Sting trooper
Soldier, Infantry, Master Guardsmen, Grenade Trooper

Soldier
Current: Navy Seal headswap, too 21st century and not very Dunish.
Plan: New Model and Skin, uses new pistol animations
Concept: I would like this unit to look like a survivor of the Great Catastrophe. The unit should look battered, in tattered, worn-out clothing, the remnants of a uniform or desert robes perhaps. The unit should not look professional equipped or attired. The armament should be only a salvaged pistol. Colours should be dusty, sandy, browns, etc.
Priority: Medium

Infantry
Current: The current unit is high quality (looks like Sezereth? Was this a one off or are there more like this somewhere?).
Plan: New Model and Skin
Concept: This unit should looks slight better equipped and more organized rather than just being a survivor. It is still too early for smart uniforms though, so the clothing should still be salvaged remnants and desert robes.

Master Guardsmen
Current: Gasmasks don't really makes sense and the flamethrower anim doesn't seem to work very well or be suited.
Plan: New Model and Skin
This unit should look like an experienced veteran compared to the first two Guardsmen. Perhaps the first vestiges of a simple uniform can be seen.

Grenade Trooper
Current: It's Boba Fett with a grenade. The NIF is a bit screwed up, but I should be able to fix that. The model seems essentially OK so we can probably just reskin this one.
Plan: Reskin
Priority: High

Rocket Trooper/Missile Trooper
Current: Very nice unit, but I don't like having the same model shared and it would probably look even nicer with a light sandy/biege/brown reskin for the desert environment. The current skins are a bit dark.
Plan: Reskin and use for Rocket Trooper, New Model and Skin for Missile Trooper
Concept for Missile Trooper: I guess something pretty similar, but with perhaps more armour and a more impressive looking launcher. All Launchers should have decent effects so it looks like they are actually launching something - if they don't already.

Mongoose Trooper
Current: I think this model is pretty good although the weapon is not very sci-fi. We can look to replace the weapon perhaps, but for now a reskin away from jungle colours to a more deserty look would be nice.
Plan: Reskin (maybe more impressive weapon later)

Bee Sting Trooper
Current: Again I think model is fine (Next War Anti Tank Infantry), but in order to try and achieve more consistency I suggest we reskin. We could even have some yellow and black on the uniform or weapon to fit with the unit name, not too much as a completely yellow and black unit will probably be too garish.
Plan: Reskin

Heavy Trooper
Current: Too weedy and I don't really like brilliant white colour units in the Dune context. This one really sticks out badly at the moment.
Plan: New Model and Skin - perhaps reskinned Lasgun Trooper
Concept: Something that looks like it heavy duty - heavy weaponry (although still projectile based) and heavy armour. Potentially could use the current Lasgun Trooper as a base.

Lasgun Soldier
Current: It's just weird - what is it?
Plan: Custom Model and Skin
Concept: More sophicasted looking armour and a weapon that looks obviously more high-tech than previous units' guns. Of course, getting a good laser muzzle flash effect and laser projectile effect will be important, and a nice not-too-cheesy laser sound effect too.

Lasgun Trooper
(I think it would be nice to come up with a better name for this unit since it is the most advanced Guardsman unit in the mod and Lasgun Trooper and Lasgun Solider are just too similar.)
Current: The model seems pretty decent - uses Marine animations - skin not great and doesn't fit the Dune environment.
Plan: Reskin - but use the reskinned version for the Heavy Trooper and get a more impressive model for this unit.
Concept: A custom unit should have even more impressive looking armour and weaponry than the Lasgun Soldier.

Attachments

• guardsmen.jpg
    guardsmen.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,375
1.7.2.5:

Roller: Use RPG Striker from the EE2 Future Units kit, reskinned
Light Scorpion: The Paladin is OK, but I would prefer to find/make something with treads so that it looks like a light tank. Edit: In fact I quite like the Chimera from White Rabbit's Imperial Guard tanks, we can remove the bulldozer easily enough.
Medium Scorpion: Use current Missile Launcher (the WH40K Rhino looking one) reskinned
Heavy Scorpion: Re-instate KrugerPritz's Mammoth as the Heavy Scorpion as it looks better than the EE2 Myrmidon.
Devastator: A reskin of the Next War Dreadnought would be an improvement on what we have.

Maula Mortar: This unit needs some fixing up so that it fires an actual mortar shell, plus a reskin would be good.
Rocket Artillery: The WH40K Manticore is good, but could use a reskin
Missile Launcher: Use Sunfire Launcher from the EE2 Future Units kit, reskinned
Assault Cannon: Use current Medium Scorpion, reskinned

Thopters unit art overview

To round up the state of the Suspensor line as of 1.7.2.4:

1. I want to do some further work on the textures so that there is better use of team colour.
2. The problem with the desert colour scheme is that the icons are indistinguishable at small size. Need to do something about this.
3. The Suspensor Transport is just the Suspensor Gunship without a Turret. I want to do a bit more to distinguish them.
4. Haven't done much with Effects yet. I want to add a Suspensor glow below them as has been suggested. Also, a mixture of conventional and laser weapon effects as appropriate for the tech level of the unit.
5. I'd like to make the turrets pivot like the vanilla Tanks.
6. Obviously need to find a good Carrier. There is a Carrier in the Homeworld pack, but it is a bit epic.

Hornets unit art overview

Unique Units / Unique Resource Units unit art overview

Espionage Units and Religion Units

Other units sandworms etc

Excellent idea Deliverator!

Rocket Trooper/Missile Trooper

It would be great if these guys actually fired their rocket launchers, rather than firing the gun in their other hand.

Great! :)

I found a good base model for the Ordos Trike in the game Worldshift. After a bit of editing it's looking quite nice. I just need to complete the animations and attach effects and sound.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 369
Excellent! Slvynn has updated the spy units. The most common remaining "C" grade units are heavy trooper, lasgun soldier, and lasgun trooper. You've mentioned pistol animations recently. The Warg, which you mentioned a while back, is not very needed anymore since Slvynn pointed out the sabretooth; I have put that in.

What is up next for unit art?

wow !
that looking great!!!!
Awesome!!! GJ Deliverator

I found a good base model for the Ordos Trike in the game Worldshift. After a bit of editing it's looking quite nice. I just need to complete the animations and attach effects and sound.

"Quite nice" is a quite nice understatement here :D.

OK, here's a art patch for Dune Wars 1.6.4 containing a few bits and bobs.

+ Ordos Trike (I made it a proper Ordos UU in CivilizationInfos as well)

+ Found/made better placeholders for heavy trooper, lasgun soldier, and lasgun trooper. The Heavy Trooper is a combination of the Modern Marine by mechaerik and our existing Lasgun Trooper. The Lasgun Soldier is our old Soldier model and the Lasgun Trooper is a reskin of our Infantry.

+ Lasgun Trooper/Soldier now both have a laser fire effect

+ Fixed Vulture Thopter always having green wings

+ Tiny tweak to main menu moon textures

The other thing I'm working on at the moment is a better effect for the Maula Mortar attack, might be ready for Tuesday, not sure yet.

Attachments

• trike_fight.jpg
    trike_fight.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 406
  • laser_fx.jpg
    laser_fx.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Civ4ScreenShot0089.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0089.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 356
:goodjob: :)

The trike looks great, but I notice the button-art for it is actually the picture of the Dune2 quad. Is there an equivalent picture of the Dune2 trike that could be used?

Top Bottom