Version 1.7 feedback

davidlallen

Deity
Please put bug reports and general discussion for version 1.7 on this thread. For bug reports, please list the main version and patch version you are using, and attach a save game if possible.

Sigh, we'll never finish our Fremen SG. :(
The lack of Atreides infiltrators is a little more destabilizing for higher levels. Typically I build up a large empire and eventually my espionage is enough to steal techs from the financial civs like Ecaz to even out my more expensive research. Now that won't be possible... Maybe infiltrators should be allowed but at 2-3x more expense.

We're trying to make factions play differently, so you can't just use the same strategy every game. So, if you want to use infiltrators, maybe you should pick a different faction, and find a new strategy for Atreides.

I've played plenty of games at Emperor and Immortal, and I never need to use Infiltrators to keep up in tech in the late-midgame.

Also, the cost of the infiltrator themself is trivial, its the EP cost that matters, and adding an infiltrator whose missions cost more EPs would remove the whole point of higher Atreides EP income, which is designed to make them more resistant to foreign espionage (more loyal population) because they can't spend the EPs.

I tried downloading your 1.7 install file, but the download is only 99mb (seems small for a total conversion) and the file says it is corrupted every time I try to launch it. I tried re-downloading 3 times and it is always corrupted. I downloaded the music pack and it unzipped just fine.

~95 MB (zipped) is correct. Its just art, code, and a few sounds, which don't take up that much space. No movies, and the main sound files are in the the music pack.

Strange that you have trouble, it seems to have over 100 downloads without issue.

I tried downloading your 1.7 install file, but the download is only 99mb (seems small for a total conversion) and the file says it is corrupted every time I try to launch it. I tried re-downloading 3 times and it is always corrupted. I downloaded the music pack and it unzipped just fine.

Although it is an older version, are you able to download and install 1.6 correctly from this link?

Although it is an older version, are you able to download and install 1.6 correctly from this link?

It might be a problem with my browser, I'm trying to download 1.7 one more time now.

Update: same problem, installer integrity check failed. I'm getting 1.6 now.

Update: the previous version works.

Have you tried downloading and running the installer yourself? Mine won't even get to the installer.

Quoting from 1.6 feedback thread, a few weeks ago, about Fremen failing to counterattack against units on desert:
ahriman said:
Try it; give the Fremen a suspensor gunship and a hardened bladesmen in a city (which also has a bunch of city defenders), and thne bring up your own suspensor gunship up to a desert tile 2 tiles away from a city. Their suspensor gunship (strength 5) will come out to attack you, but I don't think the strength 7 hardened bladesman will. Try it with a Shield Trooper (strength 12) and a hardened bladesman if you like. They won't use melee units with sandrider to attack units on desert tiles.
I investigated this problem some more and the solution may be easier than I thought. I have posted about this in the BBAI thread along with an example, but nobody replied (or even downloaded the example). So I tried it some more. The UNITAI appears to make a significant difference to this, and in fact I no longer believe there is any sdk issue.

I set up the exact experiment with several hardened bladesmen in an AI city, and my attack stack. Using chipotle debug, I mouse-over the bladesmen and their UNITAI is "COUNTER". I end the turn, and the bladesmen actually travel away from the city instead of either defending or counterattacking. But, I learned from the BBAI experiment to try UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER. So I go back one turn and use WB to change the bladesmen's UNITAI to that. Now when I end the turn, the bladesman does attack the transport.

This shows that there is no AI check *preventing* them from counterattacking on desert. With the proper UNITAI, they will counterattack. Perhaps it is just a matter of allowing all the melee units to choose UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER, which is easy. In the unitinfos file, find the unit, and inside the unit find <UnitAIs>:
Code:
	<UnitAIs>
		<UnitAI>
			<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
			<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
		<UnitAI>
Copy/paste the four line <UnitAI> section and change the text to UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER.

I am not sure this will completely solve the "weak Fremen" problem, but I thought we were stuck behind some obscure AI check and now I know we are not.

Have you tried downloading and running the installer yourself? Mine won't even get to the installer.

Nuts, nuts, nuts. In the past few days I have uploaded four versions of the installer to mediafire, and for the first three I carefully downloaded and installed again. For the fourth one, either I did not test or it got munged afterwards. Now when I download it, the integrity test fails. Apparently those 100 other downloaders were just silent about the problem.

I will pull it down, upload, download and test, and publish the new link.

Have you tried downloading and running the installer yourself?

It worked fine for me yesterday.

I investigated this problem some more and the solution may be easier than I thought.

Very interesting.
What unit classes can currently choose UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER ?
Vehicles are obviously the main ones who need this, along with thopters and suspensors, but adding it to melee sounds helpful.

However:

1. There is a possible problem here; repeat the core experiment (before making any changes), but with the incoming attacking unit on land. Will a melee unit attack it without AI change if on land? If so, then there is something strange, and the domain (land/sea) still happens somehow.
If not, then probably this is a good change to make.

2. We will also need to consider what to do if we grant sandrider to guardsmen... we'd want them to be able to attack sometimes, but other times we'd probably prefer hey stay on a city defense AI mode.

In the past few days I have uploaded four versions of the installer to mediafire
What were the differences between these? Should I redownload?

Nuts, nuts, nuts. In the past few days I have uploaded four versions of the installer to mediafire, and for the first three I carefully downloaded and installed again. For the fourth one, either I did not test or it got munged afterwards. Now when I download it, the integrity test fails. Apparently those 100 other downloaders were just silent about the problem.

I will pull it down, upload, download and test, and publish the new link.

Glad I could help. I actually reg'd this account just to tell you. It looks like you guys put a lot of work into this game and I'd really like to try it.

Please retry the download. I uploaded, downloaded, and verified. When you go to the download page, please "reload" it in your browser to make sure the updated link is used.

It worked fine for me yesterday.

Is your interface a nice chocolate brown color instead of the default dark blue? If so, then you have the final one, the only one announced in the download database. There were several prereleases prior to that, such as "beta 1" and the one I asked for two volunteers for. There was a third one I only posted for myself since I have multiple work locations. But there is only one "real" 1.7 publicly announced.

What unit classes can currently choose UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER ? Vehicles are obviously the main ones who need this, along with thopters and suspensors, but adding it to melee sounds helpful.

There are about 20 UNITAI's. If there is any short guide to what the unitai's actually do, I am not aware of it. There are a bunch with "SEA" in the name, and our DOMAIN_SEA units such as thopters and suspensors already use them. This is why the suspensor gunship attacked in the original example. You can easily see which unitai's are available for which units today by looking in the xml. Today vehicles don't have CITY_DEFENSE, they are mostly supposed to be used in attacking roles. So I will try an experiment to see if the Fremen scores go up, simply by adding UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER to all the melee units. If not, I will try adding Fremen Sandrider auto-promotion and UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER to all the guardsman units, and see if that helps.

Is your interface a nice chocolate brown color instead of the default dark blue?
I will check.

If there is any short guide to what the unitai's actually do, I am not aware of it
Unfortunate; I bet this would be of great value to modders.
Maybe God-Emperor or cephalo will write one?

So I will try an experiment to see if the Fremen scores go up
I would not really expect it to raise Fremen scores, it will just make them slightly better at defending against *humans*.

They still won't be able to carry out inter-continental wars without transports, and they still won't effectively use their sandrider to raid as effectively as human-controlled Fremen can.

I wonder if the lack of religions is part of what is hurting Fremen? Very often AI fremen do not adopt a religion, because there are only 2 or 3 available to them (Shai-Hulad, Mahdi, maybe Quizarate?) and these are often founded by others.
I made a post with suggestions about that; maybe free missionary from event for eg.
Is the Mahdi religion underpowered? Maybe it should have a late-game zealot unit too?

Alternatively; maybe the fremen AI is too aloof, and doesn't trade enough?
That could be a big part of the Ecazi advantage; they have very low trade thresholds, so they're happy to trade with pretty much anyone.

If not, I will try adding Fremen Sandrider auto-promotion and UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER to all the guardsman units, and see if that helps.

Possibly, but we should consider also leaving it off the city defender line; potentially having them lured out of cities could make the Fremen do worse.

Please retry the download. I uploaded, downloaded, and verified. When you go to the download page, please "reload" it in your browser to make sure the updated link is used.
Hello,

i downloaded the file earlier to day and got and NSIS error from the installer. Is this the same error you got?

I have a suggestion:

Reword the text and make clicking 'OK' continue with the installation anyway. I have the Steam version of Civ4 and BtS, it is most certainly updated to version 3.19. Installers that abort unnecessarily are a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

If you want the new interface to have the intended font, then you will need to install the Albertus font. This can be done by simply copying the file AlbertusMTStd.ttf from your Mods/Dune Wars/Resources/Fonts folder to your Windows/Fonts directory. (As far as I know, there is no automated way to have the Mod use custom fonts.)

If the font is installed you main menu will look like this:
Spoiler :

The Mod clearly works without installing the font - the default sans serif font will be used instead. This is an optional extra.

I have the Steam version of Civ4 and BtS, it is most certainly updated to version 3.19. Installers that abort unnecessarily are a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

That is very painful. I have taken a new version of the installer from another modder, phungus420. We wanted to add this check, because many beginning players have ignored or overlooked the fact that 3.19 is required, and then complained of a crash. I agree that preventing an install on a valid 3.19 is just as bad.

You can work around this by installing 7-zip and directly unpacking the executable. But, this is a pain and I will see if I can find another quick solution.

Top Bottom