Nobles’ club XXXIX : Asoka

Groogaroo

King
Welcome to the 39th instalment of Nobles’ Club. Dalamb, the current host, is out of action at the moment so I am hosting this game while he recovers… Get well soon Dalamb :)

On to the game.

The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our leader this time is Asoka.

Asoka is Spiritual & Organised. Spiritual allows anarchy free civic changes and cheap temples while Organised reduces civic costs by 50% and offers cheap builds with Lighthouses, Courthouses and Factories.

Starting techs could be better but mining is always welcome.

The unique unit is a Fast worker.

basically the same as a normal worker but with 3 moves instead of 2. Great for moving onto forests and chopping on the same turn. Some players even rate it as the best UU in the game, Fastworker rush anyone? :lol:

The unique building is the Mausoleum

A jail with the added bonus of +2 happy. Extra happy is always welcome it’s just a shame that the jail comes fairly late with constitution and if you don’t normally build many jails you may not find it that useful.

The map type is fractal, everything else standard. Here’s the start…

Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 39 Asoka Noble" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Attachments

• NC 39 Asoka WB files Fixed.zip
    77.4 KB · Views: 336
To map creator, you should check this out.

Spoiler :

You forgot to remove the handicap I assume. I just warriored AC and Ramesses on Immortal and it's not even 3000 BC yet. They start with scouts : D

JFleme and Groogaroo
Spoiler :
The problem is not in the handicaps. You have to erase the beginunit and endunit lines. That way the AIs will get their units based on their techs. Just don't erase the human's otherwise the warrior will start each time in a different place.

To map creator, you should check this out.

Spoiler :

You forgot to remove the handicap I assume. I just warriored AC and Ramesses on Immortal and it's not even 3000 BC yet. They start with scouts : D

Just looked into it and...

Spoiler :
It wasn't the handicaps... I forgot to give rameses archery opps!

Bear with me a moment I need to just sort the saves out... :blush:

Okay... Really sorry about that. Removed the original attachement and have uploaded the fixed version into the first post. Everything should be working fine for each difficulty now.

Sorry :blush:

I thought we weren't going to do another warmonger :)

Actually, I'm semi-serious here. I've heard of some people using Fast Workers to gain an early economic advantage by peaceful means, then going on a rampage mid-late game when the Mausoleum can actually become useful. Apparently both Indian leaders can make use of this effectively -- Asoka's got the cheap Courthouses while Gandhi can run an SE and emphasize production. And Spiritual is always great for warmongering because you can switch between peacetime and wartime civics easily.

Anyhow, I'm working on the latest HOF gauntlet right now so I probably won't get to this until after Christmas. And eventually I need to finish my last 3 NC games!

I'm going to make a Fast Worker SoD and conquer the world!

I feel tempted to try this, as I've been playing noble a while and win/loss streak are kind of even.
I think I could learn a lot, but as for discussing and uploading stuff: what's this BUG mod I've seen describeda few times here? Can you make the IG dotmaps with it?

what's this BUG mod I've seen describeda few times here? Can you make the IG dotmaps with it?

Bug Mod

I'm not sure what you mean by IG dotmaps, but Bug does have a natty dotmapping tool. On top of that it considerably adds to the original user interface of the game without altering gameplay. Little things like, alerts as to when your cities are about to grow into unhappiness to extra buttons for sorting your stack of doom into various categories.

With regards to the start I really wanna discuss... but have to keep my mouth shut as I have peeked into worldbuilder to check the map. :mischief:

Thank you :D

EDIT: sorry for this most likely obvious question, but can I play until say 1000AD if I want now, or should I wait until others are as far? I assume not, but just for confirmation o.O

You can finish the game in the next 1 hour if you're able to and you wish. ;)

All that you must do is post inside spoiler tags anything that might give information on the map/game.

Thank you :D

EDIT: sorry for this most likely obvious question, but can I play until say 1000AD if I want now, or should I wait until others are as far? I assume not, but just for confirmation o.O

Yeah, it doesn't really matter how far you play. Just post in spoilers and note how far you've played outside the spoiler. You'll see examples shortly of how folks report their progress. There is a generally framework for reporting, as far as dates and stuff, noted above in the OP.

Hi

Coolies dont think I have ever played Asoka b4. If I have it was sooo long ago I cant rem so this should be fun. Played a little bit after settling in place.

Marathon, Prince 1690BC

Spoiler :
I started on a warior since not much in way of workers to do until some teching is done. I get hunting and a free warrior from huts and see augie is fairly close by so:

He's out of game and I have squirrels :D

After AH is finished I see I have horseys so I tech wheel and:

And ram is out of game and since he olny had warriors I actually had 5 chariots survive.

So what the heck Kubbie still only had once city even tho he was waaay on toher side of island but I went after him. He built a 2nd city by time my guys got there and had archers but I figured I could still take his cap. I get lucky and one of my chariots wins at 21% odds so I have 2 chariots left to go after his last city and I take that one out and now have whole island to myself :)

Here is my empire at this point the main area:

And kubies old cap way off by itself:

I REALLY shouldnt have kept it but its a holy city AND had stonehenge so I couldnt help myself.

Demos at this point:

SO that basically the sitch at this point. I chopped GW in Rome so I dont have to worry bout mass barbies coming at me from all the empty spots. However my economy is tanking BIGTIME so very likely other civs gonna be in modern age by time my awesome two beakers per turn actually techs out something hehe :p.

And I am guessing they are VERY close by cuz Toku won the map race already with a workboat :/

Not sure what plan is now other than try and bailout my economy and then see how bad things are at that point. Wish me luck :)

Kaytie

@Kaytie

Spoiler :

Wow! I wish I tried that approach. Not sure if it would work on Monarch though.

By the way, did anyone have Mao discover the world is round on like Turn 2? Must be a glitch or just the way the map is setp. (Yeah, it wasn't Turn 2 but it was pretty darn quick)

@lymond EDIT
Spoiler :
Nope, no Mao discovering that the earth is round here. I did chariot rush Auggy, he planted 1 city and I took them both :). I'll look to get some screens up... soon :D

575BC, Mao has proven it.

@Kaytie

Spoiler :
Darn! I was hoping the Leaders in this game might present a bit more of a challenge.

@Lymond

Spoiler :
Bit wierd with the circumnavigation bonus, I really hope I didn't do anything else to screw up the saves :blush: I don't want to say much more yet without revealling too much. Does anyone remember the actually turn number the race was won on?

Top Bottom