Lonely Hearts Club, BtS Edition, Chapter LXI : Montezuma ( take 2 )

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 61st edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 61st game in BTS the chosen leader was again Montezuma of the Aztecs:
Spoiler :

( sorry for using old images, but I am having some dificulties uploading images today )

Well, we all know Monty AI and it's belicocity without limits ( and the fact he prefers to get 2142153 knights than 30 rifles :D ). And I'm pretty sure that most of the readers of this forum already seen n threads discussing the merits and demerits of the Aztec UU and UB ( especially of the UU , that has probably the biggest dispersion of opinion about it of all the UU: some say that is the worst UU , others that say that is the best and most will say that it is in the middle. So, I'll keep it simple and as uncontroversial as possible :D

Monty has Agg/Spi as traits. Some will say that Spi alone is a good trait and that agg is not that good at all, and those who don't like Spi will say even worse.... For me, the combo is mostly good for one thing only : war, with all those swaps between OR and Theo and all those agg units. Given that neither of the traits will give a direct help to the research, this tends to make Monty a leader for early wars to leverage the UU and the traits, a thing that is not a option in here ;)

His UU
Spoiler :

And here we have the most controversial UU of the game, the Jaguar Warrior: 1 less str than a regular sword , but can be built without metals and has a free Woodsman I promotion. For some the worst UU of the game ( given the reduced str, it is remarkaly worse in direct city attacking than a regular sword ), for some the best or one of the best ( not needing resources and being a promo away of woodsman II makes them the ultimate harrass weapon and a strong option for blitz attacks in the ancient times ). Regardless of how we see them, the fact is that, being a ancient UU, the jaguar will be relegated to anti barb actions ... or to save for a future medic unit ( a Monty jag has combat I and woody I , so it needs far less XP to be a woody III medic III super medic )

His UB
Spoiler :

Another somewhat controversial UB... the Sacrificial altar halves the time that you have unhappiness. For people that use slavery extensively , this is a gift from heaven ( in spite of being hard to leverage it extensively unless the cities have quite a food surplus ) . For the people that don't like slavery, it is as apealing as a regular courthouse... Anyway, as long as you use slavery, this is a very strong bonus.

The start (Thanks to DanF for the solution of the unit change of place ;) .... The warrior/scout should appear always in the same place from now on, really :p ):
Spoiler :

A nice forested site, with 4 seafood and marble. Has also a small river with grass all around and some hills. It is a good start for the use of the UB, most certainly ;) or for some marble boosted early wonders

Regarding the saves ( if you're using DanF change to the WB files load, skip this ): given some complaints about the efects of the AI starting without archery in high levels ( giving a unfair advantage to AI that have early UU and/or have early warmongering tendencies ), I decided to make 3 WB saves ( all in the same zip file ). The WB saves are equal except for the fact that one of them ( labeled Monarch ) has all of the AI with archery as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Monarch ), one ( labeled Immortal ) has all of the AI with archery,hunting and agriculture as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Immortal ) while the last is the corresponding to a game starting in Noble ( labeled Noble ). All WB saves are playable in all levels, but ( for a example ) if you use the Monarch one the AI will start with archery ( and archers ) in any level. This has only a slight effect in the human directly ( mainly via the garrisons of barb cities ), but has a huge effect on the AI gaming in the outer lands ( avoiding scenarios like Pacal, Shaka or Sitting Bull to take all the barb cities and becoming moguls ). I strongly recommend the usage of the Monarch save if you want to play in Monarch+ and the Immortal at Immortal/Deity.... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) The saves are zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.

Any problem PM me...

P.S WB saves are crosscompatible between 3.13 ( and earlier ) and 3.17 ( and later ) if they don't have No Espionage ticked. No problem with the patches here :p And as WB saves are no more than text files and Vanilla and Warlords WB are almost equal, you can play this if you exchange the non-Vanilla ( or non-warlords ) stuff ( in here it will be only leaders and civs eventually )

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC LXI ( Montezuma ).zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 174
Another somewhat controversial UB... the Sacrificial altar halves the time that you have unhappiness. For people that use slavery extensively , this is a gift from heaven ( in spite of being hard to leverage it extensively unless the cities have quite a food surplus ) . For the people that don't like slavery, it is as apealing as a regular courthouse... Anyway, as long as you use slavery, this is a very strong bonus.

It's 30 hammers less than a regular CH, so it's definitely more attractive ;)

All right something to play as we get pounded by snow. Suppose to get 2 feet here.:goodjob:

To contact/750AD

Spoiler :

I played this game rather quickly, so I forget what my build/tech order was. But nonetheless, we're on an island with Stone and Marble, so it was Cultural Vic/Wonder-spam time, while doing an Optics/Astro bee-line.

My 3 cultural cities.
Tenochtitchlan:

Has the Parthenon, The Great Lighthouse. Going to 2-whip the Moao Statues, overlow to Harbour.

Texcoco:

Has the Great Library. Building the Palace, will be my Oxford/Wall Street site. Hopefully I can found Sid's Sushi here.

Teotihuacan:

Has the Oracle, Colossus. Will put whip overflow from Harbour into Monument.

Pretty much the gameplan is to bee-line astro to get good inter-cont trade routes, helped along by the Great Lighthouse and Harbours.

So found we've only just found Zara.

Tech screen (will be doing trades, pic is excluding Animal Husbandry):

This game is winnable, but like all LHC's it should be fun.

Gogogogoggogo TGL ---> fasta fasta astro bulbz!

YES! There are red lines below every single one of the above words. Nevertheless, this is a good capitol for that. Probably one could gun instant tech for sailing (it's not like u getz ne land fuud) and try to pick up GLH too although that might screw up one bulb possibly. Nevertheless combined with early astro it would be pretty stout. Screw traits. Give me the 4 sets of 3-5+ commerce trade routes for every city trait X_X.

AGG warriors can help with the barbs a bit. That's about all we get from it until it's time to open some curb stompings. UB might prove somewhat useful though we might want to use caste temporarily too.

I forget - what's the GS astro bulb path? Block med and block either CoL or CS, while picking up sailing + calendar + maths + alpha?

This is my first one of these, and I just jumped up to playing at Prince, so let's see how this goes.

Checkpoint 1:
Spoiler :

Not much in the way of resources, though we do have stone and marble. Wonder spam seems to have potential, maybe to a culture victory. I didn't go for early religion, though buddhism wasn't founded until I was halfway through with bronze working, so it's likely I can pick up some religions before first contact to get some cathedrals started.

Checkpoints 2&3:
Spoiler :

I decided to go all-out cultural, using my 2 commerce cities south of Tenochtitlan. I picked up Confucianism, but didn't get any of the other religions, which might make this rough unless I get some other religions spread to me. I picked up metal casting from the Oracle, and grabbed the colossus to help boost my commerce. A great engineer pop in Tenochtitlan gave me the Sistine Chapel, although I missed out on the artist from the Music race. After making contact with the mainland, I found I was woefully behind in tech, including having lost the Liberalism race by 4 turns. However, some trading of liberalism and education helped me backfill a lot of my techs. It looks like Hannibal and Sitting Bull are the main powerhouses on the continent, though Zara has the tech lead, and Sitting Bull is woefully behind in tech.

Checkpoint 4:
Spoiler :

I managed to avoid getting DoW'd though I jumped in a couple of wars on the mainland to keep Hannibal and Sitting Bull happy as they picked on Wang Kong and Tokugawa. Buddhism spread to one of my cities, so I picked up another pair of cathedrals, but I didn't have any luck with other religions. I ended up beelining to electricity, radio, and mass media to try and get the multipliers from the wonders and broadcast towers. I managed to get Broadway, though Hannibal grabbed Hollywood and Rock and Roll, as well as the Eiffel Tower, racing past me in tech, as he owns half the continent at this point. After Mass Media, I cranked the slider to 100% culture, and sat back to wait it out.

Not a glorious victory or a high score, but at least I managed to eke out a win.

I lose.

Spoiler :

Really a run of bad luck in this one. Got GLH and hooked up gems pretty early. I wound up narrowly missing colossus and then having a slow tech rate though.

The real ass kicker was the 40% land/pop hannibal with voluntary sury and capitulated SB and toku though. Got him to pleased but it would be tough to run him down with 1/4 of his pop. Then wang declares. I could probably hold him off, but holding him off and trying to catch a 40% pop AI who is now safe from war isn't my idea of a good time, and probably wouldn't happen.

Edit: Our land sucks :(! We do not get a lot and the resource distribution is terrible.

Nice win Freyas. One question though, I've seen a few people put the city west of the capitol on that far NW will. Wouldn't it have more commerce if the city was placed 2S (even with the capitol on N/S basis). If its even with the capitol it picks up the clams, which have +1 commerce, -1 food, and grabs you two hills, which you can mine up for development phase, then windmill later for commerce.

That was one of the hardest LHC I've played, as the land is horrible without any granary health resources and nasty jungle and desert covering the majority of your land.

This game for Monty is a really hard challenge if you are playing for war as it takes a lot of workers to clear that jungle then to farm and WS up the place to get any decent production out of most of the cities. Again nice win, I'll have to give this one another try as the horrible land discouraged me midgame so I abandoned it.

Again nice win, I'll have to give this one another try as the horrible land discouraged me midgame so I abandoned it.

You're neglecting to mention yet another reason this map is hard. At least on immortal, 2 trials have each yielded the same AI to runaway with the game...getting over 1/3 of the world's land and population by itself. Without war.

Long time since I was in here last so I figured I'd give the lonely university a try again.

Monarch/Epic
Cultural Victory in 1913

Spoiler :

The land is pretty poor, I only managed to squeeze in 6 cities. Sure, a few more would've been possible but they'd been really poor until late game.

I decided from the start to go religious, somewhat strange when playing with Monty but well, a change from the normal route perhaps.

I managed to get 4 of the early religions, with that as a base I set up 3 of my cities to hog culture for the whole game, sacrificing almost everything else.

Culture or perhaps an AP victory was my goal and sure, I got the AP but never focused on spreading the AP religion as I felt more inline for success with culture (and that I actually never researched optics som spreading with missionaries was out of the question...)

Well, it was a pretty boring, "click end of turn alot" game. I had to do some very cheezy diplo towards the end when everyone else was well into tanks and inf and I was stuck at rifles. It did help a bit that everyone else pretty even so they had to watch each other abit, although all of them with the same religion didn't help me much.

Strat was to get culture with wonders in capital, using the two cathedrals of each religion in the other two. It worked pretty well but basically, I was lucky that noone declared on me in the last 50 or so turns, it'd only take one of them and I'd be toast with no means to defend myself as I was hopelesly technically backwards.

Some screenies:

Top Bottom