PCIX: Saladin

CivIVMonger

Emperor
Hello forum, and welcome to the PC this holiday season! :) It's been a week already since the last installment, and I want to get this one in before my power goes out from the snowstorm outside. ;) This series was started a while back and was purposed around getting Noble level players to Prince; and prince to Monarch. Also, the second, (and equally important) is to have fun! It is also advised for some of the more advanced players to help out the people asking questions by giving solid advice.

Our leader this time

This is an interesting mix of traits. The ones most of us hate! However you can play a good game with them done properly. Most of us don't enjoy Protective, though Spiritual get's a lot of love for some reason. Nonetheless, Spiritual allows for no anarchy, and double production speed of Temples, while Protective enables City Garrison I, and Drill I for all archery and gunpowder units. Also, double production speed of Walls/Castles.

The Unique Unit

Basically a Knight that doesn't require any resources and get's a 15% withdraw chance. Not much else to say really... I never understood the purpose of this unit. Tell me if you ever figure it out. ;)

The Unique Building

A wonderful UB for this leaders play style. It generates 4 culture instead of 2, and can generate 2 priests as well as Scientists. (Though I'd rather spend my food on Scientists, it's still a nice touch. ;) ) If you have a lot of food this UB certainly holds a lot of value.

The Start

Map Is
Spoiler :

Standard
Hemispheres
Medium Sea Level
Temperate
Massive Continents
Islands

The Save
View attachment PCXIV Saladin.zip

Finally, a cut and paste (and another slight edit) of the Nobles Club standard doctrine:

(I hope it isn't rude to use the same doctrine, as It applies to most forum games.)

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "PCVIII Qin Shi Huang" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome!

Have fun playing the forum game!

Dude, you really need to patch up to 3.19
Spoiler :

This desert river thingy was fixed.

Either way Immortal / Normal - 1680BC.
Spoiler :
The AIs are sleepinig and I'm settling. I've settled four good cities and then I'll Horse Archer rush the three morons. Augustus has Praetorians, but none of the Romans know how to put up a fight. Pericles founded Buddhism and Hatty Judaism. She already built the shrine.

Cities:

Techs:

Dude, you really need to patch up to 3.19
Spoiler :

This desert river thingy was fixed.

Either way Immortal / Normal - 1680BC.
Spoiler :
The AIs are sleepinig and I'm settling. I've settled four good cities and then I'll Horse Archer rush the three morons. Augustus has Praetorians, but none of the Romans know how to put up a fight. Pericles founded Buddhism and Hatty Judaism. She already built the shrine.

Cities:

Techs:

What's wrong with 3.17? I will.

Wait, I stared a little bit and started a chariot rush, but the AIs were defending with warriors... How do I make it so they start with archers?

Are you playing on Monarch+? I thought I edited it correctly? I looked at TMITs guide and did exactly what it said...

Nvm... thanks TMIT and your youtube videos!!!!!!!

Nature just wants me to mess up some how... :sad:

Thanks for posting the game. I enjoyed this one...played prince/normal/Buffy mod. One city (non-OCC) space victory in July 2024.

Spoiler :
after moving the warrior 1s and seeing no additional food, I decided to move the settler 1N hoping for another food resource, but no luck.

Don't remeber the exact tech order, but Ag-AH-writing to get 2 scientists running asap. Then to priesthood to start Oracle. Then CoL, use the first GS to bulb math, use Oracle to CS sling. Then on to Lit for GLib and NEpic. On to the Liberalism->Bio sling. Build NatPark and forest preserve all those lovely trees I didn't chop...think there were 14 or 15 free scientists :drool:. Then on to computers/Internet although I'm not sure I needed it this game. The AI teched pretty slow in the end because I kept the continents at each others' throats. From there it is just a race to tech and build all the parts before the AI.

Didn't build Pyramids this time...thought I was too late...but no one else built it until 400AD or something crazy late for prince. Definitely slowed me down until Constitution->Rep civic kicked in.

The 3 civs on our continent made this game quite easy for a low military / low power VC. Hatty spreads her religion to everyone = all same religion = happy. Also Pericles and Ceasar both have Rep as a favorite civic, and that is what I run on these one city attempts most of the game...so my continent was at friendly the last 60-70% of the game and trading monopoly techs. After meeting the other continent and getting the obligatory DoW on me, I brought it all three allies (Hatty/Pericles/Ceasar) in to the fight and instant +diplo mods for mutual war the rest of the game with little chance of being attacked in force. Poor Cyrus had a hindu city so he kept getting dragged into the AP vote DoW against Mao/Ragnar budhist infidels. The other continent was also behind on tech, which helped.

Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

cas

Riverside desert.

Pre late-game fairy magic you mean.

Anyway warrior SW and probably settle in place.

The UB is one of two that offers easy access to a theology bulb, and with it the most broken wonder in the game ;).

Monarch/epic to 1200 BC

Spoiler :

Settle in place, borders reveal corn outside BFC. Oh well. Explore around and find meet Hatty, Pericles, and AC. Tech path went AG-AH-M-BW. Saw horses close and peri close as well. CHARIOT RUSH!!! Peri also founded Hindu, so I think oh crap capital is going to have crazy cultural defences. It did, but he only had two archers :) 13 chariots vs. 2 archers is pretty good odds. He also founded Judaism!!! Time to punish Peri for going down the religious path! :D Athens and Sparta both have a pair of archers. Nubian (a barb city he captured) had only 1. Just like that, Greece is gone with no diplo penalties. Yay! Now I have a lot of room to settle and I converted Hindu for happiness since nobody on continent founded a religion. Dotmap is up with suggestions welcome!

South Dotmap:

North Dotmap:

Monarch/epic to 505 AD

Spoiler :

Not much to say, really. Chariot rushing Peri gave me a huge amount of land to the west. Even if I wouldn't have rushed him I would have had a lot of land. From the last post to this one was just settling my land. Barbs became an issue though, because my fogbusting was limited. I almost lost a city to them! Thanks whip! After I got to Alphabet-Currency-COL-Math-CS research picked up, and with the amount of land I have, and still have to settle this will shape up to be a cakewalk endgame.

Empire:

Immortal / NSC / Archer-Barbs

Spoiler :
I played this one throughout the evening. Not much different from what I expected, though I was upset at having some bad luck with barbs early. Well, I had edited them to get free archery, so I guess right there I was asking for some small risk. Sure enough, I couldn’t win a battle fortified on a forested hill to save my life. And to make things worse, even the stupid cats were killing my warriors that way too every friken time.

In the end I still managed to win liberalism with ease, and took MT from the tech-line. Perc was my first victim, and unfortunately that war had to be done in 2 waves since the stupid AP forced me to peace. After that, I unleashed hell vs. EGYPT and took some fancy prize cities. The only reason I vassaled the :):):):):) was so I could immediately start to work on attacking the Romans.

Of course, the Romans vassal to Ragnar. But whatever, I stole him back after he was wiped off my continent.

Then, I just got fancy and decided to:

Nuke!!
Nuke!! Nuke!!
Nuke!! Nuke!! Nuke!! Nuke!!

Until I had eliminated all rivals through domination. It took much longer this way but was somewhat fun when you don’t allow your opponents to get their SDI online.

Cavalry beats war-charriot?

A little over-kill...

End-Titles...

Monarch/epic to 1724 Diplo win

Spoiler :

Not much to say, really. After Pericles was out, there was a HUGE amount of land to settle, which gave me a lot of population. (about 30% by the end of the game) Diplo win was the easiest way to win. Took printing press from Lib, went to democracy, then beelined Mass Media, with a pit stop to Communism to pick up Mao's fav civic.

Oh, one thing that was funny. I noticed this was up for graps at 700 AD:confused: so I took it:

:D

Me + Hatty + AC + Mao was enough for me to win. To make sure Mao voted for me, I revolted to FR for a couple turns, and spied Mao into FR, then switched back into OR for religion bonus and OR bonus w/Hatty. This map was really easy though, I should have probably taken it up to emperor :crazyeye:

Graphs:

Score:

Thanks for hosting Civ4Monger!

IMM / NSC / Archer barbs

1908 UN

Spoiler :

Settled in place. Went AG ---> AH with a worker first. Pretty standard fare.

Tech pace was really slow on this map and the AI had no gold get from selling tech. I didn't bother with a good GPP site unfortunately which slowed things down even further.

Still did the lib ---> nat thing, picked up sankore and a very cheap/late 800 AD colossus. Mostly cottaged the capitol and 1 riverside city and the rest just turned into whipping bases.

At some point I had a city crank catapults under theocracy. Just over 25 of them, to be exact. On a hammer basis, this is better for bombardment than trebs. It is also the exact # of accuracy cats you need to strip 100% defenses with castles in 1 turn. I saved a lot of forest so en route to rifles I built lumbermills and set up globe.

Build rifles and draft, draft, draft them like crazy:

This allows me to smear pericles completely.

Next up is AC and voluntary vassal hatty. Ragnar declared on them earlier, and he's willing to go in on this:

I declared war first to get this nice deal. At this point I'd traded to get cannons but otherwise was just running almost no science and merely spamming troops. Rifles were built in some cities but the priority was drafting those. Cannons were built the old fashioned way. Hatty had machine guns and infantry just before being punted off the continent. The majority of the AC war was vs infantry/machine guns/cannons (later arty and stupid AT's added. ATs are good vs tanks, not vs rifles)

Long story short, I punted him off the continent too. I took peace w/o capitulation with both hatty and AC (Didn't want to screw diplo), leaving them on one city islands. Ragnar later declared on AC and finished the job. Hatty got to survive to an insignificant role in the finish.

Once the conquesting was done (hard only because AC had zeus), I teched straight toward mass media, gifted it to ragnar, and buttered the other two (mao was easy ---> was in his favorite civic. Cyrus was gifted to +4 and I had resources/OB/years peace/just signed DP). This took care of the blowout game without forcing me to resort to launching 70 ICBMS (which I can make already BTW) on somebody or out-spam decently large AIs.

So basically I just lollygagged to rifles and drafted my continent to death for an easy win.

It was fun but our neighbors made it pretty easy :p. The only somewhat interesting diplo aspect was pericles going confucianism then FR as opposed to the rest of us being hindu (and in the AP religion). Nothing ever came of that.

Oh so you've gotten into using the term NSC as well?

Funny.

Top Bottom