Resource calculations

zappara

Mod Designer
Over the years there's been many tweaks to resources in this mod and often questions why some resources appear so rarely on maps. I finally decided to really check the real amounts and made a sheet with calculations and I'm now going to share it so you can do your own resource calculations and hopefully report some back to me.

All this info will help me tweak the resource appearance rates. Note that not every civ shouldn't be able to get every possible resource (unless you conquer the world).

The sheet calculates average amounts, per player amounts, median, mode and standard deviation values. The more info is added, the more accurate the values get. the sheet contains different "pages" for different map types and the columns are for different mapscripts.

In order to get the resource amounts you must do the following:
1. Start new game and choose mapscript
2. choose mapsize from standard to gigantic (please use default map settings in order to get useful resource values)
3. at game start enter worldbuilder (ctrl+w) and save the map
4. open the map to notepad++ (since it has count function in search option)
5. write bonus_apple to search field and hit count button
6. write down the amount to this resources slots to the calculation sheet
7. repeat 5-6 for all resources and when done, repeat the same process for some other mapscript

It's bit tedious but I think it took about an hour to look through 5 maps (once I had the sheet done with correct formulas).

Sheet is done with Open Office so everyone should be able to use it. :)

Attachments

• Resource calculations.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 51
Over the years there's been many tweaks to resources in this mod and often questions why some resources appear so rarely on maps. I finally decided to really check the real amounts and made a sheet with calculations and I'm now going to share it so you can do your own resource calculations and hopefully report some back to me.

All this info will help me tweak the resource appearance rates. Note that not every civ shouldn't be able to get every possible resource (unless you conquer the world).

The sheet calculates average amounts, per player amounts, median, mode and standard deviation values. The more info is added, the more accurate the values get. the sheet contains different "pages" for different map types and the columns are for different mapscripts.

In order to get the resource amounts you must do the following:
1. Start new game and choose mapscript
2. choose mapsize from standard to gigantic (please use default map settings in order to get useful resource values)
3. at game start enter worldbuilder (ctrl+w) and save the map
4. open the map to notepad++ (since it has count function in search option)
5. write bonus_apple to search field and hit count button
6. write down the amount to this resources slots to the calculation sheet
7. repeat 5-6 for all resources and when done, repeat the same process for some other mapscript

It's bit tedious but I think it took about an hour to look through 5 maps (once I had the sheet done with correct formulas).

Sheet is done with Open Office so everyone should be able to use it. :)

Zap, I'm glad you and others are revisiting the resource issue. Based on what you've seen thus far, what are your hunches about the distribution?

Zap, I'm glad you and others are revisiting the resource issue. Based on what you've seen thus far, what are your hunches about the distribution?
Most of the resources seem to spawn correctly but couple resources are too rare and need to adjusted. For example I've got maps with just one wheat resource which is just silly. Coffee is extremely rare too. Water resources seem to spawn very often and there can be 4-5 of them per player. Resources that are used in making military units seem to usually spawn 1 per player (with default player amount, with revolutions the civ count is dynamic which makes players compete over these resources more). Just check the sheet and you'll see the numbers.

Coffee is extremely rare too.
Rare enough that I didn't even notice it existed...

There's obviously an issue with resources crowding each other out, which has probably been catalyzed by the sheer number of additional resource types in RoM. With one experiment, given the exact same settings, cows were being placed and sheep were not (consistently). Haven't yet gone in to see which one is listed first, or if swapping them reverses the outcome. In the case of livestock I was able to mitigate the problem by changing them to being placed relative to number of players rather than relative to total number of plots, but for elephants I had to do exactly the opposite.

There are several fields in the XML which I haven't yet figured out, and on which the only online reference I've found is either silent, vague, or just plain wrong. Perhaps we should compare notes!

Most of the resources seem to spawn correctly but couple resources are too rare and need to adjusted. For example I've got maps with just one wheat resource which is just silly. Coffee is extremely rare too. Water resources seem to spawn very often and there can be 4-5 of them per player. Resources that are used in making military units seem to usually spawn 1 per player (with default player amount, with revolutions the civ count is dynamic which makes players compete over these resources more). Just check the sheet and you'll see the numbers.

Totally agree about wheat. It should be one of the most common. Instead, I usually get a lot of rice. Sometimes a little bit of corn. Lately I got really pissed when I was the only one (!) on the map, who didn't get sulphur. Kind of important source, I would say.

I was happy to see a script named Full of Resources, I hoped that it gives what it says but I coudn't have it started. Don't know why.

Totally agree about wheat. It should be one of the most common. Instead, I usually get a lot of rice. Sometimes a little bit of corn. Lately I got really pissed when I was the only one (!) on the map, who didn't get sulphur. Kind of important source, I would say.
Food resources can spawn on farms anytime (very small chance every turn) so in the end game there should always be many wheat plots.

Top Bottom