Dr kossin #13

kossin

Deity
Welcome to Dr kossin #13.

Dr is an acronym for Daily Round. Yes, I mean to get in an update every day to the games I will be playing. Of course there might be some days where I can only play a little or not at all, but I will make up for it those other days when I do have extra time on my hands.

Previously, I had been using maps that had been verified for isolation or semi-isolation. I have terminated that practice as, while a common sort of map, it doesn't entirely reflect the reality of gameplay and was a big hint that there were at least 2 civilizations nearby even if you started on an island by yourself.

Since I have become more-or-less comfortable on Immortal, the goal of the series is now for me to move even beyond Immortality, into Deity grounds. Hopefully, readers will also be able to pick up a few things here and there to alleviate their own playing.

You, the reader, can help me achieve this goal by pointing out where I got astray, give suggestions on how to proceed, use complex abstract mathematical analysis to argue, curse at me or anything that you may like. Please note that you must respect the Terms of Service of CFC in any case :)

You may shadow this game and post it here if you please, but I kindly request that you put it in spoiler tags and that anyone reading the report abstain from using information found there to help me out.

Should you want more clarification about something I've done, just ask for it and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Enough talk, on to the game.

Dr kossin #13​

Round 1a Settling and exploration
Round 1b Towards Liberalism
Round 2a Meet the neighbors
Round 2b Kill the neighbors

Game settings
Immortal
Normal Speed
Fractal
No Events
No Huts
BTS 3.19 with BUG 4.2 in CustomAssets and BULL 1.0
Everything else is normal.

The leader, this time, is:

Please refer to the Celtia Civ IV wiki for more information on this leader/nation.

A very strong warmonger leaderess.

The start:

That's a lot of rivers. We're way up north and coast is 3~4 tiles away (1W3N in the fog is coast most likely). I don't see any reason to move:
-west gets a water tile in the BFC without coast access
-east gets more brown tiles and loses green tiles
-south loses corn
-north is either east or west

Therefore I will probably SIP (settle in place) and send the scout out after seeing what settling will show us.

Agriculture > Animal husbandry is a no brainer. Mining and BW will probably follow afterwards although I will need roads I think to connect via the rivers.

I would consider settling 1NW for the river access. One or two coastal tiles in a capital aren't that bad since they don't come into play for a long long time.

Yeah, I'd have to say settle in place. The river access would be nice, but you've got fresh water so the health isn't as big of a concern, and the commerce from Incense later will be pretty helpful. A levee later isn't going to affect this much, as this isn't the best production site ANYWAY. Overall I'd say it's a pretty decent capital, though I'd try to move it later for a good Bureau cap. With all those rivers I'd think you're bound to find a good grassland or flood plain area for that.

You might want to do some fact checking before you turn this assignment in :eek:.
He was probably just copy-pasting everything and listened to suggestions to set things to deity. Way to go kossin! :goodjob:

Very much interested to see how this one turns out.

It is Immortal.

It might show up differently as I have added difficulties (Emp+,Imm+,Deity-) in my CustomAssets.

1NW might actually be good yes but a few things:
CONS
-costs 1 turn
-might lose on a resource east
-tundra and coast
-1 less green tile (2 less riverside)
-less blocking value assuming there's a lot of land south
-could prevent using a seafood

PROS
-riverside
-2 more hills (we only have 2 in place)
-less plains
-less need for early TW

1944 Space

Spoiler :

I won't dignify my garbage game with pictures. I got gwall/mids missed henge. I also whored out TGL and sistine chapel, and any other wonder I could while isolated.

I met GK and Shaka, the only free civs left on the planet other than me :rolleyes:. I fought toward space as the 2 major blocks squared off with GK beating on shaka gradually. I almost lost to domination...Shaka was losing bad (getting nuked) and GK had about 55% land when my ship landed.

As for me, I went SP/shops after lib...which I won around 1400 AD.

It might be a lake indeed... I can't see waves on it. Nonetheless, there would probably be a lot of tundra/ice tiles over there in that case... bringing us back to SIP.

It might be a lake indeed... I can't see waves on it. Nonetheless, there would probably be a lot of tundra/ice tiles over there in that case... bringing us back to SIP.

Mouse over the nearby tile. If it says fresh water, it's a lake. If it doesn't, it's coast.

Edit: NVM, thought you were discussing a different direction.

Round 1a

I sent the scout on the plains hill and it was indeed a lake as Soirana pointed out. But there were quite a few tundra tiles in exchange for sheep and a 2 :hammers: center tile.

Techs were: Ag>AH>Mining>TW as placeholder

After some exploration... we are isolated!

The good news:

Stone and a lot of seafood. Bad news: very little happy resources.

Techs

I think Pyramids might be a very good Wonder here! Another option is StoneHenge(would be needed to start soon) for free monuments everywhere (being Charismatic after all) and GLH for the trade routes.

Having horses in the BFC makes Great Wall less of a priority although I believe I'll start by settling slowly rather than REXing hard and crashing the economy.

There might be some land accessible south of Bibracte, where I have not yet explored though. If that is the case, then GLH would be king once again.

Round 1b

Ok... so I played a bit further. Well, quite a bit further to tell the truth. Being isolated, there aren't that many options and things to discuss.

I went a bit Wonder-crazy and started with StoneHenge.

I actually put some turns into TGW to get some failure gold. It wasn't much but it did help early research somewhat.

Slavery would be used extensively throughout the round...

The next wonder was The Pyramids which I whipped to ensure I would get them.

I did try to get my hands on GLH but it went before I could even start it. My first GP was a Prophet, who was settled to increase production and be a source of gold.

I also switched civics to Representation... that would be useful going ahead.

You can see I built the Moai to 1 turn from completion and then took it off the queue... failure gold in isolation is very important and useful.

The next GP was a surprise! I even altered my tech path because of him...

...to Literature!

I wound up getting Confucianism in 250AD... there were a lot of wars going on... I saw at least 6 Great Generals born overseas...

The first Great Scientist made an Academy in Bibracte.

Once Civil Service was completed... the obligatory civic change was done:

The following GS bulbed Education.

I take a barb city very late... having no copper for a long time and not having researched IW yet.

And we meet someone I find I meet too often lately... he's teching along not so bad for Toku. He actually built a lot of wonders by himself.

Further GS were settled... you can also see 4 Universities completed (whip) and Oxford being started.

Failure gold to power my research...

Again.

And I finally take Liberalism, Astronomy as freebie.

Techs overview... Economics for the free GM since I'm probably the first and only with Education. Gold multipliers will also be useful.

My island... some unhappy here and there but with some overseas resources it should get better soon. I'll be whipping caravels next turn to go find the crowd out there. I will probably revolt to Free Religion to avoid religious strife.

Cottages built: 0

I think I may do some warring in this game... we'll have to see the neighbors first.

Tough being in isolation, but you teched your way out of that quite nicely.

Why did you build the Moai one turn from completion? With them being a national wonder, how would failure gold help you there? I am confused. :p Also why did you trade with Toku upon meeting him? Was it not wise to wait in case he was somebodies worst enemy?

Let's hope the generals popping overseas does not mean that you get Shaka with 3 vassals who will have you for dinner, Better get a strong navy up next.

Tough being in isolation, but you teched your way out of that quite nicely.

Why did you build the Moai one turn from completion? With them being a national wonder, how would failure gold help you there? I am confused. :p Also why did you trade with Toku upon meeting him? Was it not wise to wait in case he was somebodies worst enemy?

Let's hope the generals popping overseas does not mean that you get Shaka with 3 vassals who will have you for dinner, Better get a strong navy up next.

build it in a different city

Top Bottom