[Steam] Game not running

iviv

Chieftain
Just got a new laptop, copies over a few games from my Steam folder, including Civ4. I did copy the game plus the 2 expansions, though apparently they don't actually matter, since I only need BTS installed, it includes all the other stuff anyway.

But I digress. Trying to start bts, it just opens the steam 'preparing to load' window, which then vanishes without running anything. The weird thing is, Vanilla and Warlords do start.

I've tried verifying the game cache (It was fine), Deleting and redownloading from scratch, and nothing's worked.

About the only thing that I can think that could be causing this is the fact that since I copied it from my PC's install, it was running at a screen resolution much higher than my laptop can deal with. But shouldn't deleting the game files through Steam then redownloading them fix that anyway?

Also, in My Documents>My Games, there is a Civ4, and a Warlords folder, but nothing for BTS. Could this be related, or would this folder just be created when the game succesfully starts.

I've been searching around the BTS folder, and found the shortcut to '_civ4config' in streamapps>common>Civ4 bts > Beyond the Sword
But... apparently, this is linking to:
"C:\Documents and Settings\cdouglass\My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\CivilizationIV.ini"

But all the other shortcuts there are working propery:
"C:\Users\Iviv\Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\CustomAssets"

Tried to point it to the right directory, then its saying that it can't find that file, so can't shortcut to it, which is fair enough. Created a BTS folder and civilizationIV.ini file. Game still not loading.

Also tried copying over the my games\beyond the sword folder from my PC, but no luck.

Also, running the 'Civ4BeyondSword.exe' directly creates the error: 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

I appreciate that this is probably not the best place to ask since its possibly a steam issue, but I've got a threat going there as well so figured I'd ask here as well, since more people see here!

Thanks ^_^

Welcome to CFC :band:

the _Civconfig shortcut did point in the right correction - just that the actual file is only created after the first succesful start, just as the whole my games\bts folder.
I assume that by just copying it from the other computer you did not carry over the registry keys needed for it to start. Also: steam does use its own piece of software to start and verify everything - did you install that as well?

Thanks for the welcome and reply. Apparently, I'd registered a while ago, and just never posted!

Anyway, I've been using Steam for a while, so have been trying to run the game through there. Also, I'm not sure the _Civconfig was pointing the right way since a) I'm running windows 7 (And vista before that), so there is no 'documents and settings' folder, its been replaced with the Users folder. And on top of that, cdouglass isn't a username I've used, and I'm the only person that uses my PC, so I'm not sure where that came from either!

But anyway, that's moot since I've tried launching the game with both that old shortcut, and an updated one. With steam, registry keys shouldn't be an issue. Afterall, I was able to start Civ4 and Warlords perfectly fine on my laptop, and I copied them over at the same time in the same way. Oh well, thought I'd ask here while I wait for Steam Support to get around to my ticket. Thanks anyway!

Top Bottom