Nobles Club XLI: Lincoln of America

cas

Emperor
Welcome to Nobles Club 41: Lincoln of America. This is my third time hosting and hopefully everything is correct on the wb files from the start. My first map NC map was too easy (Louis XIV/Lakes map) and my second was average (Pericles/Terra). I'm hoping this one presents a little more of a challenge. I encourage you to share your thoughts on the map so I can improve future hostings. I try to mix things up a bit on the map types rather than standard pangea/continents all the time. Some info about this map for those who want it (not resources):
Spoiler :
This is a medium_small map with some modifications. On a medium_small the player will start one one of the continents (there are usually 2-3) and the islands can be randomly scattered in multiple ways. For this scenario, you start on the islands while the AI starts on the continents. The sea level is high...which should help limit the AI amount of land, but I modfied the island chain so it is possible to make contact before optics.

Lincoln is Philosophical and Charismatic. Starting techs are Fishing and Agriculture.

Both his unique building and unique unit come late in the game.
His UB is the Mall, which replaces the supermarket but has a bonus +20% :gold: and +1 :) from hit musicals, hit singles, and hit movies. In spoiler tags to save space.
Spoiler :

His UU is the Navy Seal, which replaces the marine but has a bonus 1-2 first strikes plus march promotion. In spoiler tags to save space:
Spoiler :

The start position:
Still haven't worked out the wb issue with the warrior spawning in random tiles around the settler, so your initial view may vary a bit.
Spoiler :

Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUFFY MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC41 Lincoln Noble" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting+Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it. Huts and Events are turned off by default, but you can turn them back on.

Good luck!

Had a problem with the initial attachment...should be fixed now. Was missing the settler on the first try...kind of hard to win with a just warrior on an island. :p Stupid BeginUnit / EndUnit edits!

cas

Attachments

• NC41 Lincoln wb files.zip
    60.6 KB · Views: 333
erm... the Pericles Terra map was average? :) I thought it was rather difficult, although it may be because I'm not too good a player and because the part I really need to improve on is diplomacy, and I think diplo was rather complicated on that map.

Anyway, I'll grab this one today. :D

~~~
And a question regarding start: considering the charismatic trait, is it worthwhile to go for stonehenge early, or does it cost too much in terms of expansion and useful techs foregone just for mysticism?

Thanks Cas.

4000 BC | Prince/Normal

Won't try and squeeze two cities onto this island, will settle in place and beeline techs that give me my water wings certificate. Desired win, domination.

erm... the Pericles Terra map was average? :) I thought it was rather difficult, although it may be because I'm not too good a player and because the part I really need to improve on is diplomacy, and I think diplo was rather complicated on that map.

Anyway, I'll grab this one today. :D

~~~
And a question regarding start: considering the charismatic trait, is it worthwhile to go for stonehenge early, or does it cost too much in terms of expansion and useful techs foregone just for mysticism?

Hmmm. It is difficult for me to gauge map difficulty on noble-level. Give it a shot and post your progress or lack of it. Starting on an island limits your :hammers: , thus wonderspamming is not very easy. Slavery is one option to boost production, especially with a charismatic leader (monument + elephants) because your happiness cap is higher than normal. Moai Statues is another option. I think most monarch/emporer/immortal players go for The Great Lighthouse when they see lots of water. I'm undecided on StoneHenge.

cas

Ouch, it's an island? Ahhh! cas, could you add the intial techs into the intro? Sailing is first priority, then.

Ouch, it's an island? Ahhh! cas, could you add the intial techs into the intro? Sailing is first priority, then.

First techs were already in the initial post right above the picture of Lincoln. Put it in bold red since it may get overlooked right above the pic.

cas

I completed 'Henge @ 2800BC, second city @ 2000BC. With more micro and attention, henge could've gone 3000BC.

I'm at 850BC now, and at 3 cities, 2 more up soon. A nice map.

Monarch/Normal 1000BC

it's a different game.

Spoiler :

I have played very limited island start game. So it's a totally new experience. Yet I still went for my normal intial start: Mining->BW. However, there was really few early worker works to do. So, I built a WB first, then worker, and 2 more WBs, used 2 WB for the fish and sent the 3rd out exploring. The scouting WB met Mao and Toku. Toku eventually blocked the WB's route. So the scout are going back and try to around their continent through north.

Then, I rushed a Galley with at pop 4 and waited until the worker mined the 2nd hill to grow back to pop 4 and then rushed a settler and sent him to the SE island. The the Galley explore to the NE and met Wong. After this, I started my GLH project by monument -> light house -> GLH.

Mao got GW is 1200s. Good, he's out of the race. And my GLH completed in 1160BC. However, with only 2 cities, there were no extra TR for is supposely awesome power on this island map... Anyway, I'm starting to build more settlers now and trying to block Mao and grab the Horse. But I'm a little concerned about the border penalty. So, I'm not sure where I should settle my next settler yet. The other settler was just built and planed to go eastward and settle that bigger island to the NE. This map lack production big time. I'm not sure how to catch up except the pop rushing. We'll see.

I have not lib yet. Alphabet in a few turns, hope that can net me some good tech like IW from either Mao or Wong. And I'll go for currency next, I think?

Plans for next stage: safely rex to up to 8-10 cities by 1AD?

First techs were already in the initial post right above the picture of Lincoln. Put it in bold red since it may get overlooked right above the pic.

cas

:p I missed it. sorry.:crazyeye:

Immortal/Normal

1 AD

Spoiler :

Settled in place. Mining/sailing/BW ----> priesthood ----> masonry.

I oracle'd metal casting to get a run at colossus, picked up GLH, and used a prophet to bulb theology. I also self-teched CoL and got there first. Obviously we aren't covered in land but rather water, but I made sure I could get at least 6 cities.

1922 Culture

Spoiler :

Got to lib first and took nationalism. Self-teched divine right. Building things took a while since I had to rely on the whip and we don't have a lot of health resources (even with harbor + aqueducts nobody wants to trade grains!)

I put my 4 cathedrals in the capitol and atlanta. This was a mistake. Since I had sistine my cap could have gone legendary w/o any culture multipliers, I should have put them in new york so I could have distributed bombs more evenly and won in the 1800's. As it stands, capitol went like over 80k culture :sad:. Anyway I bombed 8 artists into new york and won. The early music artist was settled in atlanta.

Izzy was getting near space (just needed fiber optics/fusion) when I won.

I'll be taking it on Emporer/Epic

The start looks nice despite being a small island. I don't tend to fair well on these watery starts so it should be a good test of whether I'm ready to move up a level.

Anyone trying this as an One City Challenge? I think that was the original idea of the map.

I'll be taking it on Emporer/Epic

The start looks nice despite being a small island. I don't tend to fair well on these watery starts so it should be a good test of whether I'm ready to move up a level.

Anyone trying this as an One City Challenge? I think that was the original idea of the map.

OCC is doable although a very watery OCC cap is bound to have fewer resources as culture can't reach as far and there won't be anything to discover in the water except late oil.

Brrr.... I hate this. I was peacefully building up when I woke up with two barb galleys near my islands... three fishing boats went kaboom. Of course, it was my fault, it was already late enough in the game that one should have been prepared... but... annoying. And when two of my galleys both lost against those barb galleys, it was restart for me. (Part of the reason is that one of the galleys was transporting a military unit and a settler :))

Some questions: (spoiler about map)
Spoiler :

1. I've built the GLh in the game whose save files I've just deleted, and I think I'm going to build it again. With three cities, I could already feel its benefits. I would go as far as stating that one could even postpone CoL for quite some time thanks to the GLh. But should I also go for the Colossus?
2. Should I try to settle on the continent to the East? I think I could get cows and copper if I moved fast enough. The problem with this is that it's expensive for me and it will place me in a hotspot, requiring very fast militarization. The problem with not doing so would be that I'd have 5-6 production poor cities.

Emperor/epic to 1 AD

Spoiler :

What to do when you're going to have a lot of one city islands? Build this:

Effects are not prominent this early, but my slider never got beneath 70%. I got the GM from the GL and used it to bulb MC. Which allowed me to build another nice water wonder:

Current empire (of only five cities :()

And this shows the power of the GL and Colossus on a watery map:

BOOM tech lead! Sushi would be very powerful on this map, but I don't really want to give up my precious GL. With this tech lead I should be able to grab a high level tech from Lib, and we'll go from there. I still have a couple islands to settle though.

Folks, several of you are posting spoiler-ish information outside of tags. Please edit.

I'm curious what you feel is spoilerish. Certainly, barb galleys aren't (you ARE going to see them with a start like this, and you should know it from turn 0).

I was not specifically saying if we had any resource or not either btw, just that while resources are reasonably common in land OCC, while the things you can find in water are really uncommon.

Maybe giving wonder dates is a little bad though, I admit, esp if tagged with difficulty as well.

Emperor/epic to Liberalism

Spoiler :

It was pretty obvious I was going to win Lib and I did of course. Along the way I got a lucky GE which I used for this

Just in case I need to fall back for a cultural win. (I have four religions)

I take Sci- Meth from lib

My plan is to beeline MM and win UN. I already have Qin at friendly, Izzy and Sal can easily be gotten to friendly through theo and I can use caste for Wang. Babylon and Toku are hated by everybody, and guess what? Toku is #1 pop :D If that doesn't work, I'll probably fall back on culture. My cities are all angry b/c I'm trading away happy resources for marble to finish the Taj.

Techs:

Way ahead.

Top Bottom