Fallout stuff brainstorm

Chusquero

Chieftain
First of all:

This thread must be a 'ideas box'. That means noone is coding here, this is just to think propertly the ideas before filling the mod's thread with this stuff. If you have any idea and you're not posting elsewhere this is your place, just put it here and someone will take it.

List of ideas:
Spoiler IODINE HANDLING :

This is a tech thinked for two 'pure human' factions. It allows an unique unit and an unique building for each faction, also allows a common promotion for both factions.
I had a good idea for a unique tech for two factions. Here it is...

Iodine handling: Unique tech for the top two pure factions. I wrote Iodine because I think it's the most 'counter radiactive' element that I know, if I'm wrong just let me know. Also I don't know if it's useful against radioactive alive beings...

This tech is the knowledge and possibility to handle and use iodine. This should be quite important in that environment because let the humans ignore a moderate radioactivity.

Common effect for both factions:
- Units gain access to the promotion 'Iodine munition' that modify the combat odds against radioactive foes (for example: +20% :strength: against radioactive foes). Obviously the faction must control a munitions resource.

Effects in the more warmonger faction:
- Allow the production of 'Iodine grenadier'. This unique unit has +50% :strength: against radioactive foes, also any radioactive foe hited gains a -10% health regeneration per turn until he enter a radioactive tile (or a controlled city). This unit requires the same building that is required to create the shotgun guys (I don't remember the name).
- Allow the construction of 'Iodine dosis dispenser'. This unique building allow the city to ignore all the penalties from nearby radioactive / fallout tiles. Also the city gains +1 :health: and +1 :).

Effects on the other faction:
- Allow the production of 'Scientific worker'. This unique unit is a common worker who has been trained to remove radioactivity from the tiles. This unit requires school and lab.
- Allow the construcion of 'Iodine gas minefield'. This unique building put a -40% :strength: on any radioactive unit assaulting or defending the city. Also the city gains +1 :) and +10% safety output (If I were in the Fallout world... I'd move to a city with some Iodine gas mines haha). This building needs technicians working continously, so it has a -1 :hammers: penalty.
Spoiler CHILDRENS OF ATOM :

Cult that follows the pure light of the nuclear desintegration.
Religions:

- The 'Childrens of Atom': This religions start randomly when any player take control of a 'Rebuilt Nuclear Sile', so, a 'Atom's missionary' can appear in that tile. After that I spread the cult in the 'X' city. X city gains a +1 :yuck:. If the player sets the named religion as state's one and builds the typical 'Temple of blablabla' I gain +1 :yuck: (on top of the named before) and +10%:science:. That type of religions can create the feeling of 'futureless' that I'm looking for because you don't have a clear bonus from it. Also must be a 'religious unit', or maybe the missionaries themselves can 'carry' nuclear bombs to purify the infidels (like the mythical soviet's nuclear trucks from 'C&C: Red Alert').

This post will be edited with the agreed ideas, so if you are looking for inspiration just read this one.

I had a good idea for a unique tech for two factions. Here it is...

Iodine handling: Unique tech for the top two pure factions. I wrote Iodine because I think it's the most 'counter radiactive' element that I know, if I'm wrong just let me know. Also I don't know if it's useful against radioactive alive beings...

This tech is the knowledge and possibility to handle and use iodine. This should be quite important in that environment because let the humans ignore a moderate radioactivity.

Common effect for both factions:
- Units gain access to the promotion 'Iodine munition' that modify the combat odds against radioactive foes (for example: +20% :strength: against radioactive foes). Obviously the faction must control a munitions resource.

Effects in the more warmonger faction:
- Allow the production of 'Iodine grenadier'. This unique unit has +50% :strength: against radioactive foes, also any radioactive foe hited gains a -10% health regeneration per turn until he enter a radioactive tile (or a controlled city). This unit requires the same building that is required to create the shotgun guys (I don't remember the name).
- Allow the construction of 'Iodine dosis dispenser'. This unique building allow the city to ignore all the penalties from nearby radioactive / fallout tiles. Also the city gains +1 :health: and +1 :).

Effects on the other faction:
- Allow the production of 'Scientific worker'. This unique unit is a common worker who has been trained to remove radioactivity from the tiles. This unit requires school and lab.
- Allow the construcion of 'Iodine gas minefield'. This unique building put a -40% :strength: on any radioactive unit assaulting or defending the city. Also the city gains +1 :) and +10% safety output (If I were in the Fallout world... I'd move to a city with some Iodine gas mines haha). This building needs technicians working continously, so it has a -1 :hammers: penalty.

Religions:

- The 'Childrens of Atom': This religions start randomly when any player take control of a 'Rebuilt Nuclear Sile', so, a 'Atom's missionary' can appear in that tile. After that I spread the cult in the 'X' city. X city gains a +1 :yuck:. If the player sets the named religion as state's one and builds the typical 'Temple of blablabla' I gain +1 :yuck: (on top of the named before) and +10%:science:. That type of religions can create the feeling of 'futureless' that I'm looking for because you don't have a clear bonus from it. Also must be a 'religious unit', or maybe the missionaries themselves can 'carry' nuclear bombs to purify the infidels (like the mythical soviet's nuclear trucks from 'C&C: Red Alert').

I think you need an overall modmod design (design goals, factions with main themes, main tech tree, etc) before you start trynig to design random minor mechanics.

I don't think that Iodine works as a "counter radiation".
It doesn't really think having weapons that are better against radioactive monsters makes sense; the best you can do aganist something that emits radiation is try to shield yourself from it. So you could have radiation shielding promotions or something that give a bonus vs certain types.

But "radioactive units" doesnt' really work as unit class either.
Deathclaws would be "melee units" or "beast units", not "radioactive units".
Ghouls would be "melee units" or "ranged units" or whatever, not "radioactive units"

The most sensible thing would be to use the FFH-concept of "elemental damage". So a unit could have strength X + Y Radiation, and then use the FFH elemental resistance (eg radiation resistance).
But that would take major SDK coding to incorporate.

You could have a "radiation treatment facility" that countered unhealth from nearby radiation, or gave health.

Radiation removal if included should only be incredibly late game.

I don't think you can easily have a city defense that only works against particular unit types. And again, I don't think "radioactive units" really works as a unit class.

I'm not sure you mean by a feeling of "futureless".
But having religions with no clear bonus I think is a poor idea (why would you bother founding it? why would you bother spreading it?, and buildings that arent' worth building (10% beakers for +1 unhealth isn't really worth spending hammers on) are redundant, because no-one will bother constructing them.

A "children of the atom" religion should probably provide large happiness bonuses at the cost of unhealth. Every religion should have a purpose.

You're right. I should make a proper project to make focus in each step and have a good productivity. Otherwise I'll wasting the time. Also I have to play more to Fury Road, and every single modmod...

Anyway I'm just writting down ideas. As I said somewhere I don't have the game here and I won't program until Juny (that is when I will be back at home). Not to mention I never programed on python or xml (I know html, css, javascript, php and mysql).

I think I want the game to go larger, a type of victory may be 'erase radioactivity in your territory', but I'm aiming to long...

About the radioactivity:
What I was aiming at is that radioactive units shall have combat bonuses against 'no shielded' units (common units, doesn't mater if they are beasts, mele, ranged or wheeled). Also I'll make the 'shielded' type (inmute no radioactivity, they are power armors, infantry with antirad suits, closed armoured vehicles, etc.).

About religions:
Yeah... doesn't make much sense what I wrote... The 'childrens' can have +1 :happy: on top of all and +1 :happy: per nearby rediation tile. That shold be enough... after all I can use the religious unit to set those tiles in rads if I want. Also it is like you said "A "children of the atom" religion should probably provide large happiness bonuses at the cost of unhealth.".

Thanks mate.

My posts earlier in this thread (and those from nameless one) were trying to get the skeleton of a coherent design.

But unit classes don't quite work like that.

Tanks and power armor infantry shouldn't be in the same unit class ("shielded").
Vehicles should be vehicles (vulnerable to AT weapons), infantry should be ranged.

Similarly, (non-feral) ghouls and deathclaws should not be in the same unit class. The former would be in "ranged" class, the latter in "melee".

Unit class is not the right mechanic to use for implementing radiation/radiation shielding.

The main "thing" about a powered armor suit is that it is heavy armor, and boosts strength, and lets you carry heavy weapons, and looks awesome. Radiation shielding is a minor side-boost.

Hey guys great to see some new ideas moving in, Check out LS mod mod for some of my ideas I'm looking to make a fallout mod as well, it's a little bit messy at the minute cause I'm in the process of editing it with my latest ideas etc. I am currently working on 're-skinning' the fury road civs into Fallout ones, it won't be 100% pure canon fallout but everything will be heavily based on it, you can see the current civs that I'm working on as well as some of my other ideas.

To anyone interested in fallout and civ4, check Fury Road LS modmod. The more opinions it has, the better will be.

Hey how's going?

I saw few days ago a documentary about the 'Pile Chicago 1' (the first artificial nuclear fission in the world) and I learnt that they used Cadmium to neutralize the huge ammount of radioactivity.
So, my previous posted idea about 'Iodium technology' should be 'Cadmium handling'...

Just to fix that idea.

Sorry for a minor necro but do you imagine how radiation protection works?

Sometimes hydrogen or heavy water is the best, it all depends on the types of particles you are trying to protect yourself from.

For those needing inspiration while working on the mod I decided to list a few resources and attempt to get some more traffic on this thread.

I started replaying the original Fallout to start "research" but grew tired of constant crashes. While looking up patches I stumbled across on No Mutants Allowed "Fallout 1 'megamod': Fallout FIXT", and began replaying to help generate Ideas. I suggest for anyone to check out, I have after clearing vault 15 and finishing the quests for Shady Sands found only a few bugs in random events. Here is the Link.

Spoiler :
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362

Fallout Wiki for the lore research

Spoiler :
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

I may start a new thread soon or just take over an old one to start discussing ideas from the selected sources.

Top Bottom