Post-Game Map Writeup

Sullla

Patrician Roman Dictator
I know that this was requested by a number of folks, and today being Martin Luther King Day in the US, I had the time to sit down and type things up. You requested my thoughts on the map design and overall game flow, so here they are. I guarantee that not everyone will like them...

I was tasked with creating the map for this game. During the polling process, we asked the five teams to answer some questions about what type of map design they wanted to see created. There was absolutely no consensus on what script or setting to use, with results ranging from Kaz requesting an Islands map to Saturn wanting Global Highlands. The result was that there emerged an agreement that I would be given free reign to create a unique "mystery map" along whatever lines I wanted. As part of the pregame information, I told each team the following:

- No isolated island starts. All teams will be able to contact at least one other team by land.
- All teams will be able to contact all other teams using land units and/or galleys. No waiting for Optics for full contact.
- Most of the map will be left alone, and therefore random, but there will be an effort to ensure roughly equal/fair starts.
- I guarantee that there will be one or two surprises that you'll have to figure out by playing.

All of which turned out to be true, if not in the fashion that was expected perhaps. Putting everyone on a Pangaea satisfied all of those points, for example, even if the initial writeup was somewhat disingenous.

My vision for this game was to create a map that worked on a large, grand scale. The vast bulk of Multiplayer games are played out on cramped settings, where unit tactics and not grand strategy tends to dominate. For the second CivFanatics Demogame, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do something different, and create a sprawling epic map. After all, everyone KNEW going into this game that they were embarking on a project that would last at least a year, and each of the five teams had 20+ players. With a relaxed pace, dedicated players, and a huge roster of team members, surely this was one time that we could try something different and interesting, rather than a typical Team Battlegrounds-type Multiplayer game... right?

The base script for this map was Global Highlands, normal size, with Low sea levels. Indeed that's a lot of land for only five teams, but the original CivFanatics Demogame was also on a normal-size Custom Continents map, with only five teams, and that seemed acceptable to this group. I compared my initial map to the one Sirian created for that game, and it was only about 20% larger overall. That seemed like it was within the acceptable range for a game like this, since I had heard many compliments regarding that game's map setup.

After looking at some different maps, I liked this initial setup the most:

There was one continent of roughly oval shape, with the five teams spread out around the edges. First of all, why one continent? I've found that creating multiple continents is generally bad mojo in these games; although it sounds nice, a game with two continents inevitably turns into a race to see who can conquer their continent the fastest, and then that team is guaranteed (95+% odds) to win. One of the earlier Civ3 Demogames followed this exact pattern, FYI. And this doesn't even get into the problems of having unequal opportunity to make contacts raises...

So I wanted everyone to start on the same continent, with roughly even starting positions, all located around the outer edges of the map. This first necessitated moving some of the teams around from their starting spots; Kaz, SANTCA, and Cavs all started inland initially, and had to be placed on the seacoast. Secondly, for purposes of spacing, Saturn had to be moved to the east; otherwise they would have been too close to the Mad Scientist starting location. That dumped Saturn into a range full of peaks, which meant that I had to do some drastic reworking of the terrain there; I did a decent job there hiding the edits, but in retrospect made an obvious mistake not to include enough food resources. This was a MAJOR mea culpa, and represents the biggest failure of the map design.

About the peaks... The idea of this map was to have natural mountain barriers which would create interesting and unusual situations for the five teams. The general goal was to make it so that teams could either sail around the peaks to make contact, or they could take the long route through the barbarian-infested interior. Cavs were the ones who grasped this the fastest, and got a lot of value out of it... The drawings you see above are my notes on where to make edits with the peaks. I blocked off the corners near the Kaz start, put a mountain barrier between Cavs and Mad Scientists, then did the same thing along the coasts to the far east and south of Saturn. I then had to delete some peaks around the Mad Scientist start to create a new path moving east.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with how this part of the design panned out. The "long path" by land or the "short path" played out exactly the way I intended. I knew that the jungle interior would spawn massive amounts of barbarians, and that teams who wanted to settle those rich lands would have to fight them off. Teams did this in different ways; Cavs built the Great Wall, SANCTA went heavy on axes, and Kaz was shielded by their mountain borders. Saturn failed to push quickly to metals and ended up getting pillaged pretty badly, which was entirely their fault (you can't blame the map for everything!)

Kaz has spilled a lot of virtual ink suggesting that their start was unfair, an argument that I don't mind even the least bit persuasive. You can see from this overview map that the opening from their starting corner is a mere 8-10 tiles away from their starting position. SANCTA, in contrast, began a full 20 tiles away from that same region, having to move first west, then south through the jungle, then further southwest to reach that same area. If SANCTA was able to reach that location first, and manage to defend it at the end of ridiculous supply lines in the BC years, well, tough luck Kaz. You should have expanded to the north sooner. Kaz founded no less than seven cities (seven!) in the south before trying to get through that narrow pass. They were simply outplayed in that particular situation.

Kaz start:

Spoiler :

The idea for the starting positions, as everyone has probably figured out by now, was to have one land-based food resource and one seafood-based food resource at each capital city. And this worked fine for three of the teams: Kaz, SANCTA, and Cavs. However, I made three errors when it came to balancing out the starts. First, I didn't pay attention to whether or not the wheat/corn resources were placed next to rivers. My intention was for them to be unirrigated, but I accidentally placed the Kaz corn and SANCTA/Cavs wheat next to the rivers, so they all were getting the extra +1 food bonus from the start of the game. This was not my intention, and gave them all a starting boost.

Secondly, I failed to keep in mind the fact that not all seafood resources are created equally. Fish get one extra food compared to clams and crabs, so SANCTA and Cavs received another minor boost here. Again, this was unintended, but you can see how two +1 boosts for SANCTA and Cavs help get them off to accelerated starts and positions of later dominance.

Third and most critically, the "land" food resource at the Saturn start was supposed to be pigs. Why I left it as sheep, I have no idea. I have it written right in my notes, pigs resource for Saturn's capital, yet I must have clicked on the wrong resource and never caught the mistake before the game started. This crippled their team's opening because sheep + crabs was clearly vastly weaker than what the other teams were operating with. For this mistake, Saturn players have my sincere apologies. (Saturn made a lot of self-inflicted errors later - a LOT of errors - but they can't be blamed for how things started.)

If I were to do it again, I'd move those corn/wheat resources off the rivers, give everyone either clams or crabs, upgrade the Saturn start, and probably replace the rice at the Mad Scientist start with corn. That's it though - I have no issues with the land surrounding the capitals, aside from a desire to beef up Saturn's land with some more grassland and food resources. There was tons of land for everyone to expand, and many good city locations to be had for all teams. The larger the map, the less the initial starting position matters and the more the strategic decisions made by the teams come to the fore. I wanted to see how different teams would play things out here on this unorthodox map; while they were helped by their respective starts, I think it's clear that SANCTA and Cavs played by far the best games in that regard. They both figured out early on that rapid expansion would be the name of the game, and outdid everyone else in that respect. It's no coincidence that both teams worked to establish early Academies, moved their capitals to strong river locations, and so on. There was, at times, a very high level of Civ4 play from several of the teams in this game. When everything was clicking, it was fun to watch.

On the whole, however, I was pretty disappointed overall on the team dynamics. Kaz could never stop their constant infighting, and (much as I was entertained by their factional struggles) their inability to work together prevented them from acting effectively. Saturn had all kinds of disaster befall them early on and never recovered; they stuck together well as a team, but were disorganized. While SANCTA pulled off all sorts of amazing micro feats, the problem was that they were never really a "team" in the real sense of the word; it was Memphus and Krill doing everything, with about a dozen lurkers making occasional comments. That worked well, really well in fact, while they both were interested in the game... but as soon as they left, SANCTA completely collapsed. I thought their diplomacy was on the weak side too, and perhaps could have converted Kaz into an ally if they had been willing to be a little more cordial and maybe compromise a bit.

Cavs played a great game, but like SANCTA, it was something of a one or two man effort most of the time. First oyzar and then later slaze were doing just about everything over there. On the whole, this team managed to make things work, and they were effective throughout the game. Finally, Mad Scientists were just a joke in this game. No disrespect intended to HUSch, who did what he could, but it's a serious problem when one of the five teams became a total ghost barely three months after starting. There were entire WEEKS going by without a single post in the Mad Scientist forum. The whole thing made a mockery of the team concept; in the future, it is probably not a good idea to have someone who is a non-native English speaker in charge of posting literally everything in the team forum! Even I had no idea what was going on with the Mad Scientists most of the time...

Maybe I was spoiled by my experience with the Apolyton game, where our team was increasing in membership well after a year of playing, but I honestly expected better from this game. Perhaps the map indeed needed to be smaller to drive more action... although there was a lot of fighting from early times in the Angle/TKY valley, and there was plenty of action taking place when the game collapsed. I think you might indeed do better to get clear leaders (team captains?) of some kind in place before a game starts, or recruit teams from other forums. This game needed to do better in terms of keeping the teams together, most of which wilted very quickly. Going to Simultaneous Turns format would help enormously, and I strongly recommend that you do so in the future. (Those darned Pauses should be verbotten as well!)

I don't think anything needs to be said about the whole end-of-game cheating issue, which killed this game. I know that I walked away from the game at that time, back in September, and only learned that things had ended when Krill sent me a message. Definitely make sure that never happens again...

Wrapping this up (which is already way too long), I'm sure this map didn't please everyone. But I'm not losing sleep over that, because no map is ever going to please all of the participants, and the five teams all had mutually exclusive desired maps anyway. My goal was to create a unique, interesting, and memorable map for this event, and I stand by my work on those terms. Could it have been better? Of course, and I've pointed out some of the flaws above. I would leave about 98% of the map intact if I had to do it again, which is good enough for me.

Thanks for playing! :)

Thanks for the write up Sullla. It was very interesting. (BTW, the spoiler for the Kaz start seems empty.)

We (Team Kaz) were indeed outplayed by SANCTA as far as getting into (what we thought) was the center area of the map. I think we were lulled by the long workboat journeys into thinking there would be lots of time to get to the center.

We had some very good players on our team and we had lots of discussion on how to proceed. Our biggest failure was diplomacy which is extremely important in a game like this. We were lucky to meet Team Cav early and even more lucky they were looking for a long term partner. Unfortunately our team did not speak with one voice. I thought this was a terrible mistake and fought (unsuccessfully I think) to correct it. It seemed to me we were in danger of losing Team Cav as allies. In the end I think the Kaz\Cav alliance only survived due to SANCTA's incredible luck in battles. I am surprised SANCTA tried to be a front runner.

In any event I want to thank Sullla for making the map. This was a fun game and I learned something about multiplayer :bts:. I joined this game since I had so much fun in the (ongoing) [c3c] team demogame. I feel as though I made some great friends in that one. I purposefully avoided the teams in this game where my [c3c] team mates went, hoping to find new friends. I think that was successful at least.

Fascinating write up Sulla - thanks for that.

I appreciate the map you made - it may not have been perfect, but it was very interesting. I'm glad you're not losing sleep over the criticism you've taken on it. You did a great job.

Thanks Sullla for making this great map... I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

As I have said before, I did not have any problem with the Kaz start. I agree 100% that we just got outplayed as far as waiting too long to expand northwards. In fact IIRC, some of our team recognized quite early that expansion north through the mountain pass was a must but as you correctly point out... We never did it... (or at least it was too late when we tried).

All in all I would be glad to have you make the map for the next game. It was awesome having you as a mapmaker, observer, and moderator. :cheers: to you Sullla.

Sulla thanks for the write up.

With no disrespect you still fail to see the problem for Kaz.

TKY, the barb city that proved to be a choke point for Kaz was 12 tiles from our capital and 15 tiles from Sancta capital. 3 tiles difference, not 10 as you say.

The reason we failed to get there first and defend it is that we had no copper. Sancta had copper in their second city but we had to make 6 cities to get iron as our only metal resource was at the other end of our land 14 tiles from our capital!

So while Sancta had axes scouting and getting promoting we were struggling to get to metal.

I do not deny that we did not play our start very well, but giving us a choke point that we either get it or lose the game and without copper anywhere is not exactly good map design.

In any case you are right that it is impossible to please all, and to be honest I have yet to see a perfect map from a mapmaker and I have played plenty of games with maps made from map makers....they always forget or don't realize something...and it is natural IMO.
That is why I have suggested equal map for next game, in which the capital is the same for all teams and all teams have all the military resources in 5 tiles range.

Finnaly on the team performance analysis. It is what I had said from the beggining in Kaz forums and what I expected. It is impossible for a "democratic" team in which 10 people participate and all have strong opinions and most of them are inexperienced in multiplayer, to actually compete with teams run by 1-2 highly experienced players in the form of Monarchy. The teams that are run by 1-2 highly experienced players making all the decision will always win.

Thanks for the write up Sullla. It was very interesting. (BTW, the spoiler for the Kaz start seems empty.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196396&d=1228627071

We had some very good players on our team and we had lots of discussion on how to proceed. Our biggest failure was diplomacy which is extremely important in a game like this. We were lucky to meet Team Cav early and even more lucky they were looking for a long term partner. Unfortunately our team did not speak with one voice. I thought this was a terrible mistake and fought (unsuccessfully I think) to correct it. It seemed to me we were in danger of losing Team Cav as allies. In the end I think the Kaz\Cav alliance only survived due to SANCTA's incredible luck in battles. I am surprised SANCTA tried to be a front runner.

Catch-22. Either paint a target on our backs by trying to be a front runner or be too weak to protect ourselves and get crushed in a 3v2.

Sulla thanks for the write up.

With no disrespect you still fail to see the problem for Kaz.

TKY, the barb city that proved to be a choke point for Kaz was 12 tiles from our capital and 15 tiles from Sancta capital. 3 tiles difference, not 10 as you say.

15 tiles in a straight line, but that's going through a mountain range. Everything had to go via CK, so it was about 20 tiles from IS, the capital. Also, that was through mostly hills and jungle, so it took ages to road there, nor were there any decent city sites to plant on the way down apart from DT.

The reason we failed to get there first and defend it is that we had no copper. Sancta had copper in their second city but we had to make 6 cities to get iron as our only metal resource was at the other end of our land 14 tiles from our capital!

The barb city had copper, you could have easily burnt it down quickly with chariots (which you planned to do anyway) and replace it for a city with copper early on. It was probably just about as far away as the iron and you could have used warriors to fogbust wherever anyway. Looking at your lands that bottleneck city could have been the fourth city planted (first two identical, then a city for horses/corn, 1E of the wine with a double chopped monument to get both res) and then 2 workers roading straight through the flat land with 2 guarding chariots and 2 warriors fogbusting ahead and to the west. The copper city sould have been planted 2W of the wheat, have an irrigated grass cow and the copper. Problem solved.

Now compare that to the slog SANCTA went through to get there...it would have been easier to Kaz to settle the city.

The whole point of this map was that orthodox strategies wouldn't automatically win you the game. Thinking outside the box was a requirement.

Two quick points for Indiansmoke:

- I don't control where barb cities pop up on the map. It was a coincidence that Angle/TKY appeared where it did. Adapt to the map conditions and plan your strategy accordingly.

- Yes, it's true that SANCTA had copper close to their start. But they had horses very far away. Kaz had horses close to their start, and copper far away. In a non-rush environment, those two cancel each other out; chariots are just as good (quite possibly better, actually) at fighting off barbarian units. Kaz's failure was not emphasizing their horses sooner, possibly because you were stuck in a mindset of "Ancient age units = axemen". I agree with Krill that there was a need for some unorothodox tactics.

It will be up to this community to decide the settings of the next map, but for me identical starts + Balanced resources would be pretty boring.

Sullla, thank you for the write up. The worldbuilder link isn't the final map, but some earlier draft.

I'm not strong advocate of totally balanced map, but our core land seems a bit too weak when compared to others. Naturally our mistakes magnified things, but comparable land would surely have forgiven some of the mistakes.

Our capital and region around it was food poor and contained lot of hills and plains. e.g. Kazs capital had plains hill to settle, riverside corn and crab we had crab + plains hill sheep. Within 10 tiles from our capital the number of food resources and their quality was weak. e.g. Kazs did have a good sortiment of grain, sea food and cattle resources i.e. corn, wheat, deer, sheep, cow and crabs whereas we did have just pigs, cow, sheep and crabs. There weren't many potential pre-biology city sites around for us to settle profitably. We did have ~10 cities and pretty much all the rest of the potential cities were very far from our capital or just fillers. There was way too much hills and plains e.g. vast plains region area in the east that contained only one plains cow food resource and the large hill region on the west that contained only pigs and couple of flood plains. Even in the south there was just plains cow and then vast distance to our one and only grain resource corn. Only feature what we had more than others was flood plains and we should have utilised them better, but even that wasn't very special. I haven't looked that detailed, but if I remeber correctly Cavs did also have quite a number of flood plains close by, better capital spot and way greener land close by.

Positioning of some of the resources was awkward. e.g. Our silver city Iapetus would never be that great because of cribbling hills and tundra whereas Kazs did have gold resources on places which had potential to become powerful cities.

@ Krill...I counted again from screenshot, TKY it is exactly 16 tiles from your capital and 13 tiles from ours. After the game it is very easy to say what could have been done, unfortunatelly during the game everything is not so clear (see comment to Sula below)

Also the horses corn spot you suggest does not allow you to make the deer/sheep/corn spot, as settling point is only 2 tiles away.

@ Sula...Of course you don't control barb cities, the point is that the map should not have a single choke point that would block in Kaz and if we failed to get it we lose.

Regarding horses, it is not the same. I played lots of test games back then and I kept losing chariots to barb archers, constantly. Axes you are safe, chariots you are not. Also all that free space in the middle it was guaradeed that barbs would prosper, thus getting barb axes and possible spears sooner, which we would also have to fight with chariots.

Regarding the horses spot, it was a crap city (plains cow, 1 flood, the horse and all the rest plains tiles). So you expect us to build that crap city first thing and not take the sheep/corn/deer spot, nor the gold spot, just to take horses and go after a possible choke point which we did not know existed back then, because animals killed our scouting warriors...or maybe it is our fault that warriors lost to animals as well!
Also we did not know there would not be iron close either...another surprise for us. So when we saw that iron was equally far to the choke point, we had to decide whether we make a safe city for iron or go for a risky copper city in the choke point with just archers and chariots. We played it safe then, propably we should not have, but it was not a straight forward decision as we had no idea tha Sancta was connected to almost a straight line to that spot as well.

I have accepted that we played the start not so well, but for other reasons, not because we did not take the horse spot first thing or go crazy like Krill suggested and start roading half the map to a possible choke point.

P.S I just noticed oil resources....OMG. Imagine the game had gone that far...

Your test game was flawed on the archers; they weren't going to spawn until after axes because none of the teams researched archery (Kaz of all teams should have seen that). And with the lack of spawnable tiles you only needed 4 units to completely stop all spawns west of the wines tile. For the cost of 60 hammers you could have only had to worry about barbs coming down from the choke point.

Kaz: total of ~150 tiles south of the choke point (including the tiles with the unirrigated wheat)
SANCTA: total of 278, excluding DT and lands west. (Comparison only)

Attachments

• MTDG.jpg
    MTDG.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 261
Your test game was flawed on the archers; they weren't going to spawn until after axes because none of the teams researched archery (Kaz of all teams should have seen that). And with the lack of spawnable tiles you only needed 4 units to completely stop all spawns west of the wines tile. For the cost of 60 hammers you could have only had to worry about barbs coming down from the choke point.

Kaz: total of ~150 tiles south of the choke point (including the tiles with the unirrigated wheat)
SANCTA: total of 278, excluding DT and lands west. (Comparison only)

My ai knowledge is limited, it did not even cross my mind that without archery barb archers don't spawn...I must say.

For the rest of your post I don't understand what you are saying really. The issue was not barbs spawing in our south part, the issue was barbs spawing anywhere near TKY if we decided to road like you say and go for that spot early.

Also the tiles count says what? That you had more land than us? Isn't that a good thing for Sancta and bad for Kaz?

I feel sorry for Saturn. Even if they hadn't been pillaged by barbarians and had pigs instead of sheep in their capital their land is total garbage. While I appreciate the work Sullla has put into the map this is an exception. I think he's being too kind on himself even if he did admit their land was poor, it's so much worse than that -- especially when you compare it to Cav/Sancta.

Main issues:
1: Their resources were poor health boosters (livestock instead of grain).
2: desert/plains instead of grassland. Flood plains do little to help this, it's not of much help if you have no health (see point 1) and the amount of "dead" tiles overwhelming. I couldn't spot many food resources either -- 1 source of pigs perhaps? Plains cow does not count as a food resource in my vocabulary, I wonder if Sullla feels the same way?

I think for the next game it would be good to have a second opinion on the map after someone designed it to avoid blunders.

Disclaimer: I was not on team Saturn so don't accuse me of bias.

It's a comparison for barb spawning purposes. And if you are more worried about barbs than about what another human team will do to you given the chance you don't understand the troubles you face.

You sole point seems to be "We didn't have eaily accessible metal", now you understand that isn't the deficiency you thought it once was.

4 units for Kaz stops all barbs spawning. Barb archers are not going to spawn, so all you will face in the 70 turns max it takes you to hook up the copper are warriors and axes, both of which chariots can handle easily. Barbs spawning near TKY are hence not a problem and getting the choke point city and copper was never all that difficult to do, provided some thought went into the operation. In the end Kaz could have had a city 1S of the plains cow (1W of the corn) and culture bomb that...or imagine if Kaz had managed to get a city onto the foothills where DT was planted and that got bombed? SANCTA would have had 2 separate fronts to defend, that really wouldn't have ended well. The choke point city was also a really nice city site to cottage, better than any others you had IMO. Would have made a decent capital city.

OTOH SANCTA had to deal with almost twice as much land containing barbs, had to play defence until horses could be hooked etc. SANCTA also had the problem that while it was possible to plant a defensive city on a choke point, there were two really easily routes along hills for choke units to come in (as per US' point that 5xp units would rule the map. He was right). The only way for SANCTA to play a simple defensive game on the front was to take TKY are and cram Kaz into that slip of land.

I feel sorry for Saturn. Even if they hadn't been pillaged by barbarians and had pigs instead of sheep in their capital their land is total garbage. While I appreciate the work Sullla has put into the map this is an exception. I think he's being too kind on himself even if he did admit their land was poor, it's so much worse than that -- especially when you compare it to Cav/Sancta.

Main issues:
1: Their resources were poor health boosters (livestock instead of grain).
2: desert/plains instead of grassland. Flood plains do little to help this, it's not of much help if you have no health (see point 1) and the amount of "dead" tiles overwhelming. I couldn't spot many food resources either -- 1 source of pigs perhaps? Plains cow does not count as a food resource in my vocabulary, I wonder if Sullla feels the same way?

I think for the next game it would be good to have a second opinion on the map after someone designed it to avoid blunders.

Disclaimer: I was not on team Saturn so don't accuse me of bias.

+1. All land to the west the capital was effectively useless, land to the east lacked food res in land. Food to the south was very sparse.

Kaz had horses close to their start, and copper far away. Kaz's failure was not emphasizing their horses sooner, possibly because you were stuck in a mindset of "Ancient age units = axemen".

I agree with Krill that there was a need for some unorothodox tactics. Balanced resources would be pretty boring.
I agree with Sullla on all these points. In all my tests I was able to use chariots to fend off Axes, warriors AND archers easily... It just required a commitment to doing it... You keep building chariots until you push the barbs back, then settle the mountain pass and poof!.. barb problems are over.

We were aware by turn 21 that there was a bottleneck to our north with copper at the mouth of it. That was before we even built our second city...
Spoiler :
So I agree with Sullla and Krill... We had the resources to take the pass, we just failed to make it a priority. Chariots were good enough to do it... We were just too conservative... All of this is much easier to see in retrospect of course:D

Nice map, Sulla.
MS take the long way through the continent explore SANCta and get a trade connection (I don't know how?) and then they misclicked and declare war accidential. So we get no credentials for our/my (a normal warrior) trouble and good luck with barbs. Then we became a member of the Triple Alliance (Cav, Kaz, MS) and the team lost the discussions and plans. My ability isn't like the other TP.
Fast Play is most important for more interest in the teams. The pause times are horrible, but a sequence of DG imo. After SAN builds Orakel, Cav shows they build it also.

btw I 've played it a hotseat in some situations, and look for the decisions, its interesting.

Very interesting to read up on this, thanks to Sullla and all the players. :)

I'll briefly share my own thoughts.

I started out in this game as Saturn's main turn player. Unfortunately a few months into the game I simply got too busy in real life, so I ended up not being active in the team for most of the latter half of the game. As a result, I can't really comment much on the latter half of the game, as I barely have any idea what went on. I can certainly comment on the start though.

Personally, I was surprised to see that Saturn had so little food around its starting location, which I knew would make for a rather difficult start. I wondered for a while if it might have been a mistake, but I figured that the map had probably just been made that way, and that everyone else was probably in the same situation, so it was probably a "design challenge". It wasn't until later on when we started to see more of the map that I started to realise that we had got it pretty rough with the food, and that everyone else wasn't in the same situation.

My biggest mistake in playing out the start was in not realising the sheer size of the map (for the number of players), and the consequences that that would have with the large number of barbarians. I put it down to the fact that I'm used to playing with about 50% more players than the "standard" number, not (almost) 50% less. Anyway, I vastly underestimated the number of barbs that we'd be seeing, and coupled with the fact that we got our Immortals out reasonably early, I guess I had a false sense of security. I certainly feel I have to take some responsibility for some of our barb problems later in the game. I won't be making that mistake again.

However, I do feel that our poor start didn't help here. We had such low production and were so slow growing that we were severely handicapped in getting out enough Settlers early enough to clear enough land from barb spawning. It's much easier to spam out Settlers when you don't have a food-poor capital - not to mention when there are decent sites around the capital to choose from to place them.

I also made the mistake of assuming that it would be easy to contact the other teams via land. Looking at the full map now, I can understand why we had so much trouble with that (all the mountain chains and such) - though we did get some very bad luck with losing all our scouting units very early on. Either way, this certainly had a major consequences in the world diplomatic situation for us - we met most of the other teams so late that there was never any chance for us to negotiate any alliances before other teams had already done so. Not that we didn't still try, but it was obvious that loyalties already lay elsewhere for most of the teams we came in contact with. The resulting issue of being 1 vs 3 (later 2 vs 3) with food-poor land really didn't help us at all.

Looking back now, the better thing to do would have been to build a Work Boat early on to get contact as some other teams did. However, at the time we would have been hard pressed to spare the hammers - our start being so food-poor really crippled our production. In hindsight it's easy to see where you went wrong, but at the time our primary concern was trying to keep our empire alive with so little food. It's something I'll remember for next game, though.

There were also other streaks of bad luck that we had, even aside from the ruthless barbarians. We just missed out on the Oracle, and then we missed out on Confucianism by an insanely close margin - down to the turn order (if we were before Kaz, we would have had COL). I think the lack of food affected us quite badly here too - I'm sure that if we had had the ability to get a few cities in place a bit sooner, and the ability to work more hammer and commerce tiles due to more food to support them, we would have at least got our religion. Anyway, basically we had one unlucky event after another, which didn't help our situation.

It wasn't all bad though. I had a great time on team Saturn, and am very glad that I was a part of it. We had an awesome bunch of people - even though I had never met any of the others before, they quickly became good friends. Indeed, many of the people I met on team Saturn I've gone on to play with in many other games, as well as to chat with about out-of-civ life.

So even though our team did rather poorly in this game - partly due to our handicapped start, partly due to some of my own mistakes which I've admitted above - I'm glad to have been a participant in team Saturn. I've met some really great people, and had a fun time. I look forward to the next game, which hopefully I'll be able to participate more in!

Thanks to Sullla for your effort in making the map. Thanks also for acknowledging some of the issues which biased this game a bit. If you're up for it, I look forward to your next map creation for the next game! I'm sure that you'll create another masterpiece - especially since you'll now be aware of the things to be extra careful to check. ;)

The teams that are run by 1-2 highly experienced players making all the decision will always win.
Not necessarily always, as the current Intersite Demogame final is showing. ;) But it probably helps a bit to have at least one "good" - and committed - player leading each team.

I like Sullla's idea of "pre-selecting" 1-2 veteran and reliable members to lead each team before the game begins. Otherwise you risk ending up with most of the "good" players buddying up on the same team, and having other teams consisting almost entirely of new players who usually (and fairly so) don't have the motivation to step in and organize everything themselves. I think you really need a foundation of at least one committed and experienced player on every team, to try to make sure things function correctly. Maybe 2-3 if there are enough volunteers to go around. That way you avoid things like the dreaded "dead team", which is no fun for anyone.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Heh... just reading through the diplomacy threads of the teams, and it's interesting to compare. In particular, Kaz's diplomacy was amusing to look back on. Not only did they have several people sending conflicting messages at once, but their messages were often overly blunt. Possibly the worst example, which is rather funny looking back at it now, was this single-line message:

sommerswerd@live.com sent 23/03/2009 7:25 p.m.:
Will you guys tech Aesthetics for us?
Literally, that was it!

For the record, if you don't want other teams to view you as being arrogant, it's best to avoid one-liners such as that. :lol: At least tack on an extra bit saying what you might be able to give in return, and preferably add a cordial greeting and farewell. Diplomacy is all in the sweet niceties, not in the blunt demands. ;)

Top Bottom