Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Creation & Customization > Civ4 - Modpacks

Notices

Civ4 - Modpacks Modpack creators can post their completed creations here.
Please don't open a new thread if you don't have file to post! This rule also applies to ALL other files forums below. Use the main Civ4 Creation forum for questions & requests.

Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

The World of Odysseus -Beta

Download BETA

The World of Odysseus is a modification for Civ4 bts. It is based upon Homer´s epic Bronze Age tale, greek mythology and historical research. This mod has two scenarios. At the moment they open in the dark age 2000 BC. Take the kingship of one of the ancient greek tribes and contend for mastery with your neighbours. Send your heros on long voyages to far away lands and let them fight the terrible Titans. There are Gods and Goddesses, mythical creatures, and men both evil and good...

Installation

1) Download the Odyssey-beta.rar
2) Unpack it
3) Open the Odyssey-beta folder
4) Copy (move) the Odyssey folder to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\
5) Open the the Odyssey folder
6) Double-click odyssey.CivBeyondSwordWBSave or odyssey2.CivBeyondSwordWBSave

BETA progress

- Maps: 1
- Scenarios: 2 (different Civs and/or Leaders)
- Civilizations: 99% (34 Civs like Mycenae, Sparta, Troy, Amazons, Atlantis, Ithaka, Elis, ...)
- Leaders: 99% (52 Leader like Agamemdon, Leonidas, Helena, Penelope, Atlas...)
- Sounds: 91% (175 MB for Leaders, Eras and Units)
- Legendary creatures: 90% (over 30 like Cyclopes, Basilisks, Man-eater, Phoenix, Wild boar, Minotaur...)
- Units: 99% (over 100 and 6 different unit art style types)
- Buildings: 50% (just some art is missing)
- Techtree: 20% (it is a beta but and it works)
- Events: 3% (phoenix from the ashes by The_J, Hero-promotiontree, Volcano by hrochland, Fierabras)
- Terrain: 99% (deep sea by Kathy, Cliffs by me)
- tga: 0%
- Pedia: 10% (all Descriptions and all Citynames)

This is a beta-release! I take a 3 month non-modding time. There will be no major patch before June 2010.

Everybody is welcome to ramp The World of Odysseus up. It is too much for me alone.

Thanks
Paul Cullivan for his The Odyssey Civ2-mod
The_J for Mentalcoaching
The Civfanatics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey by Manifold.JPG
Views:	12244
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	240885  

My Civ4 Files: middle-earth, britannia, Lone Wolf - Magnamund; Beta release The World of Odysseus
My Civ5 Files: middle-earth -NEW- v5, again a world map -NEW- v4 (90x53-standard size)

Last edited by Manifold; May 21, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
Manifold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

Reserved

My Civ4 Files: middle-earth, britannia, Lone Wolf - Magnamund; Beta release The World of Odysseus
My Civ5 Files: middle-earth -NEW- v5, again a world map -NEW- v4 (90x53-standard size)
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Rob (R8XFT)
Ancient Briton

Downloading now and looking forward to giving this one a go!! It looks like you've put a lot of hard work into it.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4
cybrxkhan
Ambiguously Asian

Now this one looks interesting.

Warning: Rabid Eurocentrism Hater

Did you know you are going to Scarborough Fair? We all are.
cybrxkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
CurryAztec
Uncle Hồ

Maybe some more pictures of like leaderheads and gameplay?

My Scenario's Thread

Some men walk in the forest, but see no trees -Mongolian proverb
Curry tastes good -Typical Indian proverb
CurryAztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:12 PM   #6
i_diavolorosso
Prince

Whoa, it looked like a very nice mod
So tell me, are there any myth unit here?And what role will the god(and goddess) has?
As a leader?

Edit: Dang!AG!It always give me a distance between me and some good mod here
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

Here are some screenshots

Screenshots:
1. Train your upgraded warriors anytime. There is no reason for peace.
2. Pirate-ships can hide in cliffs.
3. Unit summary.
4. I did not discover the map already, you should do it.
5. Hero in Attica
6. Talos on the way
7. Spot Cyklop

Elis is a hard try, for a quick run i propose Athens, Sparta, Crete, Persia, Atlantis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	240918   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.JPG
Views:	752
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	240919   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	240920   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.JPG
Views:	835
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	240921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hero in Attica.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	241019  

Name:	Talos on the Way.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	241020   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot Cyklop.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	241021  

Last edited by Manifold; Jan 25, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Le Sage
Emperor

This mod looks really interesting. I'm going to download at once!

My Let's Play Channel Now Playing BNW!
Fairy Tale - Play Civilization IV in a detailed Medieval Fairy Tale/Fantasy world!
Le Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:30 AM   #9
Le Sage
Emperor

I had a bit of problem downloading the file last night. My Internet Connection wasn't up to speed. I will try again when I get home from work today. I really want to try this mod out. It looks impressive and inspirational, and only judging from the screenies, I can see that you have put in a lot of effort and love!

Fairy Tale - Play Civilization IV in a detailed Medieval Fairy Tale/Fantasy world!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:28 AM   #10
rapiduser
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Sage View Post
I had a bit of problem downloading the file last night. My Internet Connection wasn't up to speed. I will try again when I get home from work today. I really want to try this mod out. It looks impressive and inspirational, and only judging from the screenies, I can see that you have put in a lot of effort and love!
i have uploaded it ro megaupload.
It is faster

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZ8YQWUQ
rapiduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:48 AM   #11
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Sage View Post
Sorry, i know 300 MB is a lot, but i mean the patches instead can be smaller, because nearly all art is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiduser View Post
i have uploaded it ro megaupload.
It is faster

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZ8YQWUQ
Thanks, it was my personally odyssey with the upload portals and i was happy to find atomicgamer at last.

Last edited by Manifold; Jan 27, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Le Sage
Emperor

No-no. 300 Megs is quite alright for me, if I download at the proper time of day, that is. Megaupload worked well and I have your mod now. I'm going to try it out immediately.

Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:49 PM   #13
cfkane
Emperor

Are there special victory conditions for the scenarios?

Now I have a LeaderHead gallery. Ho, ho, ho
cfkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

victory conditions

first i like your Fictionalization mod very much and so thanks for the pass and all the jewels i stole from it. IMO your Macbeth LH (Hades in The World of Odysseus) is the best LH i have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkane View Post
Are there special victory conditions for the scenarios?
not at the moment, sorry.
but this is an interesting aspect.

I guess, domination is most reasonable victory condition. i weaken the citydefense and boost the attacker. at latest it would be very cool if a final promotion could be a victory condition, but this is out of my skills. With other maps would be more victory conditions cogitable.

What was our inspiration?

Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:41 PM   #15
cfkane
Emperor

Thanks! I was glad to see how much of an influence I had. Plus I think it's good to have these kind of historical fantasy mods that really delve in deep into a particular area. You know, cause Fictionalization is really very broad.

If I can suggest something, using this framework you could really set up more than one scenario, each with different goals. For example, have a scenario where you have to gather troops to fight at Troy, and then one based solely on The Odyssey, where you control a certain number of units and you have to get them home to Ithaca. Or maybe there could be ones based on other episodes from Greek myth like Oedipus and the Seven Against Thebes. Or perhaps the mythological version of Thermopylae, since my Xerxes is already in the game.

Oh, and about Macbeth. I'm glad you like it, but the version that you're using in the game has problems with shaders, especially around the crown. Since then I've uploaded a new one that fixes these problems.

Now I have a LeaderHead gallery. Ho, ho, ho
cfkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:21 AM   #16
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkane View Post
If I can suggest something, using this framework you could really set up more than one scenario, each with different goals. For example, have a scenario where you have to gather troops to fight at Troy, and then one based solely on The Odyssey, where you control a certain number of units and you have to get them home to Ithaca. Or maybe there could be ones based on other episodes from Greek myth like Oedipus and the Seven Against Thebes. Or perhaps the mythological version of Thermopylae, since my Xerxes is already in the game.
It is planed to fit this myths in the mod himself. all places are already on the map, all creatures are contained, i just had to make the events and quests (anybody could help me). upon my ToDo rank first to finish the framework, particularly the pedia will be the most challenging work.

Yes, the Xerxes LH is also very cool art, he kicked the tantalos out of the Premier League, maybe his new diplomacy sound (xerxes2.mp3) could be helpful for you, too. His startingposition, UB and UU are very privileged, so i guess, if you start a civ in Greece, he will come

Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:59 PM   #17
ThaDoews
Chieftain

Sounds really fun Can't wait to try :P

TAM TAM TAM TAM TAM
ThaDoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:18 AM   #18
Tholish
Emperor

Downloaded this, looks pretty good. Played as Hades. Didn't get a Settler. WBed in some air units. Many of them are actually land units. Had a TXT city name as Magna Grecia. Lots of potential here, lots of work done, more to be done. Especially like that plethora of ships. And Dido. You can't have too many Didos. No, you can't have too many Didos.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:31 AM   #19
Manifold
ModderProtectionAdvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholish View Post
Downloaded this, looks pretty good. Played as Hades. Didn't get a Settler. WBed in some air units. Many of them are actually land units. Had a TXT city name as Magna Grecia. Lots of potential here, lots of work done, more to be done. Especially like that plethora of ships. And Dido. You can't have too many Didos. No, you can't have too many Didos.
Thanks for the motivating words.

Do you think there are too many ships?

You played with hades? Did i forgott to make him not playable? But it is possible: bring a worker over the styx and free your harpyes in the east. than you could capture a seaport and free all the other units per ship.

Dido by The_Capo needs maybe a helm to be a more militant Hippolyte.

Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Theodore
Chieftain

I've downloaded and installed the beta version of the World of Odysseus. It looks great! Obviously, a lot of work has gone into it. One minor question: the map. I have not been able to to start a game with a 'real' map. I assume that there is one complete map, per the above "beta Progress" report. I've started the game several different times and ways, and I either must choose a public map, or a generated map. How do I start a game with the map shown in your screenshots above? Thanks for your help.
Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote