[MODCOMP] 1492: Reefs and Weather.

KJ Jansson

Prince
1492: Reefs and Weather
version 0.1 beta

About:
I developed this mini-mod to incorporate this concept into my "1492: Global Colonization" mod but I am releasing it as a separate [MODCOMP] as well. Therefore, this mini-mod contains the numbers "1492". It introduced Reefs and various Weather phenomena: Storms, Thunderstorm and Wind. This mini-mod is made as simple as possible, thus facilitating its integration into other modes.

The basic idea of a mini-mod:
In the late 15th century sea voyage on a ship from the Old World to the New World was extremely risky. Many travelers have successfully reached the new land. However, many disappeared without a trace, along with the ships in the raging waters. Unfortunately, this aspect totally absent from the Civ4Colonization. This mini-mod partially compensates for this shortcoming.

"1492: Reefs and Weather" contains the following elements:

1. Reefs
2. Storm at sea
3. Thunderstorm at sea and on land,
4. Tailwind.

Negative effects:

1. Reefs:
- The ship, sitting on the reef gets 15% damage per turn.
- The speed of the ship is reduced by -5. The ship, sitting on the reefs, will not be able to move more during this turn.

2. Storm at Sea (Tornado):
- The ship caught in a storm gets 20% damage per turn.
- The speed of the ship is reduced to -4. The ship, caught in a storm, will not be able to move more during this turn.
- Storm at sea reduces the impact of food from the tile for 3 (-3 FOOD).

3. Thunderstorm and Rain on sea and on land:
- Unit, caught in a thunderstorm, gets only 5% of damage.
- The speed of the unit that has entered the thunderstorm , is reduced by -1. The naval unit can often continue to move and get out of the dangerous tile, the land unit will leave on this tile up to next turn.
- Thunderstorm slightly reduces the ouput from the tile:
for sea tiles: -1 FOOD,
for land tiles: -1 FOOD, -1 LUMBER, -1 FUR,-1SUGAR, -1 TOBACCO, -1 COTTON.
Weather phenomena do not affect the production of goods in urban buildings or mining in the mines.

Positive effects:

1. Tailwind (Fair wind) on Ocean and near Coast increases the speed of the naval units (+1 per turn).
2. Natural weather phenomena and coastal reefs make travel more dangerous, that adds a reality in the game.

PATH_DAMAGE_WEIGHT parameter vs Caravel lifetime.

PATH_DAMAGE_WEIGHT tag is located in the GlobalDefines.xml file.

GlobalDefines.xml:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>PATH_DAMAGE_WEIGHT</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>2000000</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

Table 1 show the PATH_DAMAGE_WEIGHT values and Lifetime (Turn) of a Caravel exploring the ocean in automatic regime before his death.

Value--------------Turn

0-------------------46
500000-------------97
2000000-----------118

Download here
Size: 6.2 Mb

Installation:

1. Unpack in \Mods directory.

Sample:
Spoiler :
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods.
If Mods directory is absent, please, create it.
Correct location is here: C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods\1492 Reefs and Weather.

2. The loading through "Advanced" and "Load a Mod".

This is fully English version. Last official 1.01 patch must be installed to play "1492: Reefs and Weather".

Information for modders:

Spoiler :
Source codes are included in the archive.
The modified source codes are collected in SDK directory.

All changes in the source codes are marked with markers.

// KJ: Reefs and weather START

and

// KJ: Reefs and weather END
Everyone is free to modify, supplement and correct any part of this mini-mod. This version needs to be tested for stability and balancing.

Credits
I would like to thank &#1055;&#1072;&#1096;&#1086;&#1082;, &#1061;&#1072;&#1083;&#1100;&#1082; &#1070;&#1089;&#1076;&#1072;&#1083;&#1100; &#1080; NeseryoznijVET for their help and advices.

Screens:

This looks really cool KJ, gonna try it out now. I was thinking of adding somethings like this to my Privateers mod. I may add this or parts of it to that. I'll give some feed back on this after I had the time to check it out, k. Thanks for the work on this.

This looks cool!

I wrote a python modcomp for FFH 2 that causes blizzards to "move" randomly around the map. (And do other stuff too). I wonder if something like that for this might make the weather more dynamic.

EDIT: Unfortunately I can report a bug. The storm graphics aren't transparent at all. See both my Veteran Soldier in a Thunderstorm and a Pioneer right next to it whose flag is invisible.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 176
This looks cool!

I wrote a python modcomp for FFH 2 that causes blizzards to "move" randomly around the map. (And do other stuff too). I wonder if something like that for this might make the weather more dynamic.
There are at least 3 ways to include the weather/health (ilness) effects in the game.

1. Python (as random events, I guess)
2. SDK as in "1492: Reefs and Weather" (full analog of Civilization IV)
3. SDK as in "Model: Mortally Dangerous Colonization" where I exchanged one of sea animals on Tornado (analog of Jeckel's "JAnimals A Wild Wilderness 1.001" mod).

I tested variants 2 and 3. Both are working correctly. Probably I will test also variant 1 with Python.

EDIT: Unfortunately I can report a bug. The storm graphics aren't transparent at all. See both my Veteran Soldier in a Thunderstorm and a Pioneer right next to it whose flag is invisible.
You are right, it's really looks as a bug despite the visibility inside the storm could be minimal. Now I'm looking the way how to make units more visible inside the Storm/Thrunderstorm/Sandstorm. I like the current animation of weather effects and very hope I could find the optimal solution.

Top Bottom