Hexagon Tiles: Like them, love them, or RAGGGEEEE!!!

Jakerg23

Chieftain
What do you think about the new tile shape a layout? Will Civ V make you leave Civ IV forever? Or will you rage about the hex tiles and never leave the past?

Love it. Maybe now it'll finally be possible to build a defensive line without having to build it exactly horizontal or vertical. I never understood the appeal of a square model anyways. Also, the hexagon model works great in the age of wonders series.

Square tiles are very easy in comparison to hexes, so that's likely thwe biggest 'appeal' to having them in a game :)

I'm looking forward to the AI no longer moving my units in bizaar zig-zag patterns because square tiles make diagnal moves essentially faster than straight moves.

I'm not looking forward to having to re-invent the wheel with my map script(s) so I hope that have some handy utility functions ready to go out of the box.

Square tiles are very easy in comparison to hexes, so that's likely thwe biggest 'appeal' to having them in a game :)

I'm looking forward to the AI no longer moving my units in bizaar zig-zag patterns because square tiles make diagnal moves essentially faster than straight moves.

I'm not looking forward to having to re-invent the wheel with my map script(s) so I hope that have some handy utility functions ready to go out of the box.

How many turns does it take to re-invent the wheel?

For me, square tiles has always been a problem with civ (not that it stopped me from playing, of course)! I am SO gratified with the switch to hexes.

If the map scripting will be moddable, I'm confident I can make some spectacular looking maps.

However, I'm interested in how they got the river system to work, on hexes this can be a huge pain. In the screenies so far there are no river forks. Rivers may not have any forks just to simplify the implimentation! I hope that's not the case.

Controls gets a little less intuitive and you can't move east/west with hexes so your units will always zigzag, but hexes have some advantages. It's really not a big deal for me. I'm more curious about other things.

I just hope that the pathfinding is robust enough from the side of the AI to deal with hex maps...

Pathfinding on hex maps is actually easier because there is no oddity caused by diagnal moves where something like one over and one up is the same cost as one diagnal. The flat cost to move from any two tiles is simplified because there is normally only one fastest route whereas square tiles can have hundreds of possible routes with the same cost depending on their distance. For example, imagine a move to a tile 2 squares away, you have three routes all with the same flat cost whereas the same situation with hexes gives you two at most.

Expect movement in general to be much more intelligent whether it's the AI or you using the 'go to' command for a unit.

I loves me some hexes. Strange to think that more sides on a tile means less movement options since it's going from eight to six directions. It will be nice to actually be able to block things without needing a narrow land bridge to do it.

I like the hex grid system better than the squares, but I'm supprised that Civ V actually used a grid system at all. I would have expected them to move to a more open and free feeling topographic map (more like Total war), where unit's have a zone of influence based on tech, scouting, etc.

I like the hex grid system better than the squares, but I'm supprised that Civ V actually used a grid system at all. I would have expected them to move to a more open and free feeling topographic map (more like Total war), where unit's have a zone of influence based on tech, scouting, etc.
TW games until the latest instalement always had a square grid ( hidden OFC ) . ETW has no grid, but also had ( not sure if still has... have not touched that for a while ) quite some issues with pathfinding in complex map areas, especially with the navy ( enough to crash the game out ) . So, I guess that keeping a grid is better for now ;)

The best thing about hex tiles is it would allow true globe maps! No more donuts.

They're attacking from the North Pole Sir!

Back
Top Bottom