Papal States (BtS 3.19, V1.2)

kochman

Deity
V1.1 - added city names
V1.2 - changed Swiss Guard

LH - "The Pope" (Organized; Spiritual)
UB - Baptistry (replaces colosseum; receives +1:culture:, and 20%:commerce:)
UU - Swiss Guard (replaces Pikemen; 7:strength:, +50% vs Melee, +100% vs Mounted; Cannot attack)

Download link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14362

Credits: MANY... the following (and I probably will forget someone, I apologize in advance) either helped me learn coding, etc or were victims of flagrant art theft by me...
Manifold; Teg_Navanis; Phungus420; The_J; Chamaedrys; Aranor; Ekmek; Flying Pig; The Capo; woodelf; CRoland; Wyz_sub10; strategyonly; zerver; IgorS; esnaz; Amra; cfkane; avain; cool3a2; Flintlock1415; TheLastOne36; RulerOfDaPeople; Iloveplayciv; Bakuel; Freya; nutnut...

I have not play tested this yet. Please give me any results you have re: issues/balance.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1) Download and unzip mod
2) Create the following directory and place mod in this directory:
Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Extra Civs*/Assets/Modules
3) Copy and paste a .ini file from any other mod, and place it in:
Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Extra Civs*/
4) Rename .ini file Extra Civs.ini*
5) Open the .ini file and replace the XML code with the following code:

Code:
[CONFIG]

; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 1

; Skip Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 0

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

; No Custom Scenario option in main menu
NoCustomScenario = 0

; No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

; Read Game options from XML, not .ini
ForceGameOptions = 0

; Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

; Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = Extra Civs

; Description of Mod
Description = Generic Mod
6) Start Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword, at main menu select Advanced>Load a Mod
7) Extra Civs* should be an option, select this mod, then select "Go" and the mod should load

* You can actually name this mod whatever you want, but whatever it is, make sure the .ini file has the same name.

Note: You can put more than one mod into the folder, and you only need to do steps 1 & 2 for each additional mod after the first one.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 648
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 646
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 586
Looks nice!
One concern only: I think thats a little much bonus for pikemans, this way they are much stronger than anything else in their era.
Till Civil Service they just overpower everything (no swordsman, axeman, crossbowman or horse archer stands a chance)

Also Ekmek has 2 awesome Pope LHs already, and a 3rd one is WIP right now, maybe you should consider adding them instead of Francis I

Credits: MANY... the following (and I probably will forget someone, I apologize in advance) either helped me learn coding, etc or were victims of flagrant art theft by me...
Manifold; Teg_Navanis; Phungus420; The_J; Chamaedrys; Aranor; Ekmek; Flying Pig; The Capo; woodelf; CRoland; Wyz_sub10; strategyonly; zerver; IgorS; esnaz; Amra; cfkane; avain; cool3a2; Flintlock1415; TheLastOne36; RulerOfDaPeople; Iloveplayciv; Bakuel; Freya; nutnut...

What was my contribution to this?

Looks nice!
One concern only: I think thats a little much bonus for pikemans, this way they are much stronger than anything else in their era.
Till Civil Service they just overpower everything (no swordsman, axeman, crossbowman or horse archer stands a chance)

Also Ekmek has 2 awesome Pope LHs already, and a 3rd one is WIP right now, maybe you should consider adding them instead of Francis I
I was thinking to make their bonuses only defensive... they were never really used for the offense. I will look at the code from Machine Gun and probably add that part to them.

@IgorS - basically if you have ever helped me to understand coding, etc, you get in the credits.

You don't have to go that far, it's not bad if they can attack too.
But you easily can add +50% defence against melee instead of +50% against melee, so they won't be that efficient in attacking.
Look for the code of Immortal or Phalanx (+100% defence vs Chariot)

I actually love the idea of a super defensive unit for the Papacy. It sort of makes sense too because the Vatican hasn't really engaged in many offensive wars (at least not directly).

You should def incorporate those Pope leaderheads. they are pretty good. I would go with Leo I and Gregory I

You don't have to go that far, it's not bad if they can attack too.
But you easily can add +50% defence against melee instead of +50% against melee, so they won't be that efficient in attacking.
Look for the code of Immortal or Phalanx (+100% defence vs Chariot)
For now I just made it a purely defensive unit. They were really an elite bodyguard... so I don't want armies of them rolling through other cities...
Kind of sucks for a UU, in a way... but the civ was mainly created for a mod I am participating in, and the Papal States will definitely be majorly defensive in this mod.

I actually love the idea of a super defensive unit for the Papacy. It sort of makes sense too because the Vatican hasn't really engaged in many offensive wars (at least not directly).

You should def incorporate those Pope leaderheads. they are pretty good. I would go with Leo I and Gregory I
Since right now it is just "The Pope", rather than specific popes, I will just leave the one. Lots of popes to choose from in history!

I might expand upon this one day though... picking specific popes...

Thank you very much for this Civ. just one question: from where do you get the inspiration of the flag?
That was actually the flag of that period, as opposed to the one with the hat and the key on it that everyone is familiar with today. At least, this is the one that was used "pre-1808"...
There were others that were listed, but I couldn't seem to find a reliable source for anything from the late middle ages...

If there is a better, more accurate one, I would be happy to change it.

That was actually the flag of that period, as opposed to the one with the hat and the key on it that everyone is familiar with today. At least, this is the one that was used "pre-1808"...
There were others that were listed, but I couldn't seem to find a reliable source for anything from the late middle ages...

If there is a better, more accurate one, I would be happy to change it.

On this side the flag of the Papal States in the middle-ages is shown in the style of the crusades. But at the latest from 1500 the flag has the key and the Mitre, definite ("Bulla contra Erra"). So i am very intrested about the colors you give the civ, becauce i dont like another cross for a flag in the middle-ages.

Looking at this paragraph, I may need to create a new one using powerpoint or something:
The first attested Papal flag was red with white cross, dated probably from c. 1195. In 1204 for sure (and perhaps before) it's attested the red flag with white cross containing white keys. The first available image is from 1316. The flag is rectangular with the fly rounded in the corners and swallow tailed in center and has four white keys, one in each quarter. The four keys were the keys called of St Peter. About 100 years later, a similar flag is attested on red cloth without white cross. In next centuries a red flag with keys or religious motives seems to be in use.
Jaume Ollé, 30 April 2003

Top Bottom