Soviet/Russian Gunship: Mi-24 Hind

snafusmith

Unit Maker
Here is the Soviet gunship, the Mil Mi-24 Hind. Included are skins for the Soviet Union/Russia, Algeria (Carthage), Ethiopia, India, Iraq (Babylon or Sumer), Mongolia, Peru (Inca), and Poland

The Mi-24 has unique animations, please make sure you link to the correct files in your XML. The download includes unit button. The model is approximately 1,300 Polys, the texture 256x256.

DOWNLOAD HERE

ENJOY!
-Smitty

A question, when you make a fantastic model how do you create such fantastic shots of it?
When ever I render something it ends up horrible. Is there a plugin or something and what program are you using?

Also, did I mention that the model is fantastic?

Quality at its best!

now i have a personal request to you. ive requested it many times in the unit request thread before, but nobody like to do it: the actual MBT of the brits, the challenger 2. perhaps you can do it? only if you like...

anyway, thx for your awesome modern units....glad you make modern units now.:)

cheers

A question, when you make a fantastic model how do you create such fantastic shots of it?
When ever I render something it ends up horrible. Is there a plugin or something and what program are you using?

Also, did I mention that the model is fantastic?

I use 3ds max 7 for all of my modeling. A while back I made up a quick scene that includes lighting, and I just upped the quality of the render. There are a lot of good tutorials out there to help you out.

Any chance that you maybe have T90 MBT skins???

Yes, a T90 and T90S for Russia and India, respectively will be coming down the pike eventually.

now i have a personal request to you. ive requested it many times in the unit request thread before, but nobody like to do it: the actual MBT of the brits, the challenger 2. perhaps you can do it? only if you like...

I'm going to be making the Centurion and Challenger 2, as well as the FV510 Warrior and AS-90. The Brits should be well represented. :) However, like the T90 they're not started yet. I'm going to try to get to them eventually... I just don't know when.

Glad you guys like the Hind! Next up will be the 2S1 Gvozdika for about 9-10 civs.

-Smitty

Nice heli, and with the next one we finally get some variety in mobile artillery :)

I have a somewhat modest request of you Smitty; in my mod I have added a few civs. The Polynesians, Israelites, and Vietnamese. I don't really expect much for the Polynesians, but the other two have modern units (obviously) they could use. Would it be too much trouble to throw some Vietnamese or Israelite stuff out there? Even if they are only skins.

well, I could swear there was already a fine mi-24 hind model... (and I know I'm right :D)

I have a somewhat modest request of you Smitty; in my mod I have added a few civs. The Polynesians, Israelites, and Vietnamese. I don't really expect much for the Polynesians, but the other two have modern units (obviously) they could use. Would it be too much trouble to throw some Vietnamese or Israelite stuff out there? Even if they are only skins.

That's OK by me. In my list of civs to complete, I've added Poland, Israel and Canada. I can't guarantee that I'll make units for Vietnam or Polynesia, but you could probably use the USSR units and be OK.

well, I could swear there was already a fine mi-24 hind model... (and I know I'm right :D)

You're actually wrong! With no sense of false modesty, if I haven't made the unit than there isn't a 'fine' model out there. Nautil made an Mi24 Hind a while back, but it has about 40% more polys than my model and is less accurate. He also has less detailed skins (and only 1) for it. If you want a modern unit, you should use mine (or asioasioasio's). If you're using one by someone else it's either too high poly or the texture/UV map is no good. No offense to anyone out there, but I have yet to see a unit maker producing modern units that match mine or asioasioasio's.

You're actually wrong! With no sense of false modesty, if I haven't made the unit than there isn't a 'fine' model out there. Nautil made an Mi24 Hind a while back, but it has about 40% more polys than my model and is less accurate. He also has less detailed skins (and only 1) for it. If you want a modern unit, you should use mine (or asioasioasio's). If you're using one by someone else it's either too high poly or the texture/UV map is no good. No offense to anyone out there, but I have yet to see a unit maker producing modern units that match mine or asioasioasio's.

There you go! That's the attitude I like to see!

I wish Ekmek and Bakuel would adopt this attitude. :lol:

Anyway, that's awesome you are making those units. I don't really know what to use for Polynesia, but I guess they can use a vanilla gunship then. Keep up the good work man. :goodjob:

Keep going, snafusmith. Every unit you release is one less on your todo list. :goodjob:

Nicely done. Great skins as well, but could you release a solid color skin without camo or national markings? Thanks!

Nicely done. Great skins as well, but could you release a solid color skin without camo or national markings? Thanks!

Several people have asked for just a plain skin for the more recent units I've released. Should I do this for all of my units? What color should it be? Green, tan...? This is something I can do really easily, and plan to, but I would like to know what color(s) to use.

Thanks!
-Smitty

A medium green would be fine, as far as I'm concerned. The Poles, as it turns out, use this scheme for some of their Mi24s. Desert tan would also be fine. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Centurion and Challenger.

Several people have asked for just a plain skin for the more recent units I've released. Should I do this for all of my units? What color should it be? Green, tan...? This is something I can do really easily, and plan to, but I would like to know what color(s) to use.

Thanks!
-Smitty

I'd go with green, will the unit have teamcolor (for all the non-standard civs) ? :)

I'd go with green, will the unit have teamcolor (for all the non-standard civs) ? :)

Yup! Teamcolor will be supported. Actually, it already is - there's just none on the textures. All of my more recent units have the correct shaders already applied, all you have to do is modify the texture alpha layer and teamcolor will show up.

Snafusmith, any chance of a Russian Hokum gunship? I will at some stage try and find blueprints and pictures for you...

Probably not. Russia has far more Mi-24 Hinds than it does Hokums, so the Hind is far more suitable to represent the gunship for Russia. There's so much out there to make, I'm going to focus on other, more needed units.

2S1 Gvozdika (as promised):

That's the basic, first start skin. From it I'll make the rest.

-Smitty

Top Bottom