having problems with shortcut w/steam version and windows 7

kungasi

Chieftain
this is probably one of the most common problems, but i cant get the shortcut to friggin work [pissed]

shortcut info:

Target
Spoiler :
"C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Fall from Heaven 2

Start in
Spoiler :
"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods"

current location of FfH2 mod:
Spoiler :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2

how in the hell do i fix it so the friggin shortcut works?!? FfH2 itself works just fine, i just want the friggin shortcut to work cause its more convenient than loading it from BTS menu

yes ive searched the forums, but the results either:
A) didnt really explain how to fix it
or
B) WAY TOO MUCH TECHNOBABBLE/ sensory overload cause of wall of text
or
C) the solution just flat out confused the **** out of me :run:

sorry if i come off as being mad/angry, but this is really the only problem i have with FfH2 and any help would be appreciated :D

Edit: For the solution, see below.

For testing purposes, change your shortcut to launch Civ4:

Make the Target line:
Code:
"C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe"

Make the Start in line:
Code:
"C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword"

Once those changes have been made, try launching Civ4 with that shortcut and let me know what happens.

changed target line but

Make the Start in line:
Code:
"C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword"

"The folder' C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword"' specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct"

word for word...
i dont know why it does this, the folder is there, it just spazzes and doesnt see that its there for some reason...

Edit: For the solution, see below.

So the problem is either caused by Steam, or Windows 7, not FfH2. I suggest that you double-check the name of each folder in that path, and make sure that the "Target" and "Start in" lines have each name precisely correct (ie identical spacing and capitalization - watch for trailing spaces in folder names). If that doesn't correct the problem then I would suggest uninstalling Civ4 and reinstalling it somewhere other than the "program files" or "program files (x86)" folders. Some Windows 7 users have reported problems when Civ is installed in those folders, caused by the way Windows 7 attempts to protect the contents of those folders. If the problem persists after moving Civ to another location, then you will need to contact Steam for assistance.

In the Steam games menu, right-click Beyond the Sword and create desktop shortcut.

Check that the shortcut works.

If it works, append mod="Fall from Heaven 2" to the target line of the shortcut.

the file paths are correct

In the Steam games menu, right-click Beyond the Sword and create desktop shortcut.

Check that the shortcut works.

If it works, append mod="Fall from Heaven 2" to the target line of the shortcut.

the target for the Steam Shortcut for Civ IV is:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800

and start in is:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"

im not sure if that would work... (the shortcut itself, without being appended, works, but i dont know if it would work since it starts it up through Steam it seems, could be wrong though...)

Alternatively, you can do what I do: start BTS normally, but specify

Mod = mods\fall from heaven 2

in the CivilizationIV.ini file. This file should be in documents/my games/beyond the sword/. It works fine for my non-steam version, I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.

im not sure if that would work... (the shortcut itself, without being appended, works, but i dont know if it would work since it starts it up through Steam it seems, could be wrong though...)

So what happens when you change the target to
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 mod="Fall from Heaven 2"

Command line parameters ordinarily work with Steam -applaunch shortcuts.

So what happens when you change the target to
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 mod="Fall from Heaven 2"

Command line parameters ordinarily work with Steam -applaunch shortcuts.

changed the Target for the Civ IV shortcut and got excited cause it didnt come up with the "Invalid directory, ignoring" BS but ended up having it stop responding before it even got to the main menu. :wallbash:

See below.
Spoiler original post :
You might try this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 mod="\Fall from Heaven 2"
or this
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 mod=\Fall from Heaven 2

Thanks for that, snarko.

So, it should be:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 "mod=\Fall from Heaven 2"

Top Bottom