PCZone magazine preview

V. Soma

long time civ fan
taken from http://www.weplayciv.com/node/193 WePlayCiv is the infor:

PCZone magazine in the UK has published a preview of Civilization V in the latest issue of the mag.

Summary of new info:

- (Not really new) We can safely conclude city graphics are culturally different across the globe.

- Wu Zetian (China) confirmed via leader graphics.

- Air units and Great People can move through hexes with a military unit already on it.

- A single personality is set using a variety of flavours (first full confirmation that flavours apply to all leaders, not singularly like traits in Civ4).

- Flavours are grouped which include: Wide Strategy, Military preferences, Recon, Naval recon, Naval growth, Expansion, Growth, Development preferences.

- Each leader has a set of base scores for each flavour, with a random element thrown in to mix it up (already confirmed previously that the random element will be +-2 on a scale of 1-10)

Finally some more info on how flavors works :)
I guess we can already get an idea on what some of the flavors categories will be for the leaders :D

Thanks for that. Sounds good. :)

If I remember well, some mag or preview said there will be 25 flavours.

So this 25 is a pool and leaders can have any one of the 25 to some degree?
I think I like it - some complex identities can be constructed this was :)

It seems more likely that they'll let you select two or more flavours (possibly with the caveat that they must be from different groups), just because this will make things more interesting and it's what they've always done with leader attributes in the past which this is meant to replace.

There is more to "building a personality" if you select more than one flavour, otherwise it kinda becomes "selecting a personality"

It truly does become "create a personality" rather than "whack-a-mole personality".

I rather like this turn for the AI. :D

I hope we can create flavours till fill in any gaps.

It truly does become "create a personality" rather than "whack-a-mole personality".

I rather like this turn for the AI. :D

I hope we can create flavours till fill in any gaps.

Yeah, the ability to mod this feature could potentially allow the community to improve the AI. That would be very interesting indeed.

Not just IMPROVE the AI. Imagine a situation where we can invent a whole new concept (say religion) and then define how each leader reacts to the new concept by writing our own flavours for our new concept. We could create situations where every leader reacts to our concept different (say religion).

The possibilities are awesome! :D

Isn't this our first confirmation of Great People? Or have I missed something?

It's not yet in the confirmed features sticky, but then again neither are workers, which have also previously been used in the same example of a civilian unit hex sharing with military unit.

So, say for example, we add Hitler via mod. His aggresive value cold be very high, he doesn't make friends easy, he likes spies, and he declares, even at pleased. But, even more characteristics that COULD be added in could be that he dosn't care about religion if you share it, but he hates a certain religion at random that isn't his own. He makes MANY demands, and if you reject a demand at cautious he DOWs, and his probability to build ships is fairly average. He refuses make peace at almost any cause. All of this, put into flavour values, could make for a very dynamic Hitler who acts very much like his real life counterpart. The religion thing is assuming Fireaxis adds it back in eventually.

So, the comfirmed flavors so far are :

#1 Naval warfare
#2 Naval growth
#3 Naval recon
#4 Military pref.
#5 Mobile warfare
#6 Expansion
#7 City growth
#8 Growth
#9 Development pref.
#10 Wide strategy
#11 Commerce
#12 Science
#13 Recon

And, most probably, Culture & Production are in

I wonder what the difference between growth and expansion are (given an already separate city growth)? Expansion means expansion through conquest, vs growth meaning expansion through settlement?

Not sure how "Recon" works as a long-term flavor either. Naval recon presumably means exploration.

I think flavors are distinct from traits. Flavors are just AI preferences that change behavior; traits are actual civ-abilities that give particular bonuses.

I was under the impression that each leader has a number for all 25 flavors. It's not that the leader only has a few flavors, they have all of them, but higher numbers for some flavors than others, which means they place more importance on those flavors.

I remember reading somewhere they discarded the 'flavor' of using forests as roads, so probably the flavors are much more specific for each civ that Civ 4 ones.

I was under the impression that each leader has a number for all 25 flavors. It's not that the leader only has a few flavors, they have all of them, but higher numbers for some flavors than others, which means they place more importance on those flavors.

That was my understanding as well.
I like this because it leads to an extremely flexible system that can produce a great variety of personalities.

The slight randomization by making the actual number used in each game vary by +/-2 from the defined value is a good idea as well.

One thing I have not heard but would like to see would be some dynamic shifting of these numbers based on in-game realities. This would allow AI leaders to learn and modify personality traits as a result of their in-game experiences, mirroring the combination of genetic and environmental (nature vs. nurture) input to our own personalities.

So, the comfirmed flavors so far are :

#1 Naval warfare
#2 Naval growth
#3 Naval recon
#4 Military pref.
#5 Mobile warfare
#6 Expansion
#7 City growth
#8 Growth
#9 Development pref.
#10 Wide strategy
#11 Commerce
#12 Science
#13 Recon

And, most probably, Culture & Production are in
Hmm ... are they really going to call these things FLAVORS?

About as sensible as having "rocky" be a CLIMATE! :lol:

A better term might be "inclinations". A leader may be highly inclinced to pursue land power, moderately inclined to pursue sea power, and disinclined to pursue culture. I am not sure if it makes sense that leaders are "flavored" (although maybe that is what is meant by a "seasoned leader"? :lol:)

Alternative terms could include "tendencies" or "leanings" (hmm ... since an incline is a slope maybe leanings and inclinations are related? :mischief:)

dV

I think (and this is only my own guess) that there is more that differs the civs than flavors (and UU UB ect). I mean these flavors wont affect you when you choose to be a leader, only the way the AI is playing, so my guess is that flavors is for AI only and then there is some extra trait that matches the AI:s flavor that you as a player also would benifit from (like the road thing already mentioned).

I think (and this is only my own guess) that there is more that differs the civs than flavors (and UU UB ect). I mean these flavors wont affect you when you choose to be a leader, only the way the AI is playing, so my guess is that flavors is for AI only and then there is some extra trait that matches the AI:s flavor that you as a player also would benifit from (like the road thing already mentioned).

Yeah, the AI flavors are definitely different than the civ bonuses each civ gets. The flavors just programs the AI's personality.

Hmm ... are they really going to call these things FLAVORS?

There are six types of quarks, known as flavors: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. :D

All the personality aspects should perhaps be called: traits (have to differentiate from civ4 to avoid confusion), aromas or odors (ooh! smelly stuff), aspects, or perhaps ... characteristics, attributes, features, qualities, properties, habits, customs, mannerisms, idiosyncrasies, peculiarities, quirks, oddities, foibles.

Yah, I suppose quirks or foibles might be better than how something tastes. :lol:

Top Bottom