Flexible Difficulty Suggestion

Arkatakor

King
In the A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml file, I was wondering if it was possible to insert 2 variables for flexible difficulty:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY

The first variable would enable the user to have the option to set the difficulty to increase ONLY if he is 1st rank and not 2nd or 3rd (as it is now).

The 2nd variable could be used in the same way; (say you want the difficulty to decrease only if you are are not in the top 2).

The reason I am requesting this is that I want to avoid the scenario where I am 2nd rank and where a 1st rank AI has a significant lead and I am simply unable to catch up coz the difficulty keeps increasing.

Sure. I can do that.
great - thanks again; will be looking forward to it!

I feel this mechanic will go to some lengths at solving the anti-climax problem where you have been in 1st place and are bored to tears. Personally I see myself setting up the number of turns for difficulty to increase to 25 instead of 50 once I am in 1st place to really give myself a challenge...

thanks for your prompt action on this (it was already in the beta!). I just wanted to verify - as per my suggestion does:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY (variable name in this suggestion)

correspond to:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_DIFFICULTY (A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml)

and

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY (variable name in this suggestion)

correspond to:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK (A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml)?

I am asking this because I can confirm with absolute certainty that flexible difficulty does not work assuming I understood aforementioned values correctly. I went ahead and set

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS = 1

so that difficulty increases every turn that you are in first place ran a game at normal speed (emperor) and at the very beginning gifted myself several pioneers founding multiple cities. Thus I was in 1st place from the start and the difficulty did not increase. Here are is how I setup my xml file; let me know if I have assigned anything incorrectly. Thanks!

Spoiler :
<!--Afforess:
Every X turns the game checks the Increasing Difficulty Option-->
<Define>
<DefineName>INCREASING_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<!--Afforess:
Every X turns the game checks the Flexible Difficulty Option-->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS</DefineName>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is Settler, add 1 for each higher difficulty. -1 indicates no minimum difficulty -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_DIFFICULTY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>6</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is Settler, add 1 for each higher difficulty. -1 indicates no maximum difficulty -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_DIFFICULTY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>-1</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is the highest rank, 49 the lowest. -1 indicates no minimum rank -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK</DefineName>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is the highest rank, 49 the lowest. -1 indicates no maximum rank -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_PLAYER_RANK</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Though the aforementioned syntax shows a space in some of the variable names, I do not have those spaces in my file thus my variable names are correct :)

thanks for your prompt action on this (it was already in the beta!). I just wanted to verify - as per my suggestion does:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY (variable name in this suggestion)

correspond to:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_DIFFICULTY (A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml)

and

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_PLAYER_RANK_FOR_INCREASING_DIFFICULTY (variable name in this suggestion)

correspond to:

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK (A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml)?

I am asking this because I can confirm with absolute certainty that flexible difficulty does not work assuming I understood aforementioned values correctly. I went ahead and set

FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS = 1

so that difficulty increases every turn that you are in first place ran a game at normal speed (emperor) and at the very beginning gifted myself several pioneers founding multiple cities. Thus I was in 1st place from the start and the difficulty did not increase. Here are is how I setup my xml file; let me know if I have assigned anything incorrectly. Thanks!

Spoiler :
<!--Afforess:
Every X turns the game checks the Increasing Difficulty Option-->
<Define>
<DefineName>INCREASING_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS</DefineName>
</Define>
<!--Afforess:
Every X turns the game checks the Flexible Difficulty Option-->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_TURN_CHECK_INCREMENTS</DefineName>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is Settler, add 1 for each higher difficulty. -1 indicates no minimum difficulty -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_DIFFICULTY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>6</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is Settler, add 1 for each higher difficulty. -1 indicates no maximum difficulty -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_DIFFICULTY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>-1</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is the highest rank, 49 the lowest. -1 indicates no minimum rank -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RANK</DefineName>
</Define>
<!-- 0 is the highest rank, 49 the lowest. -1 indicates no maximum rank -->
<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MAXIMUM_PLAYER_RANK</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Though the aforementioned syntax shows a space in some of the variable names, I do not have those spaces in my file thus my variable names are correct :)

I'm not sure, but I think maximum player rank should be 0, not 2, in your case. Try it.

I'm not sure, but I think maximum player rank should be 0, not 2, in your case. Try it.
so player ranks in the XML range from 0-49 then? So if I want to configure the game to increase difficulty only when I am ranked #1 I do:

<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RAN K</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Is this correct?

so player ranks in the XML range from 0-49 then? So if I want to configure the game to increase difficulty only when I am ranked #1 I do:

<Define>
<DefineName>FLEXIBLE_DIFFICULTY_MINIMUM_PLAYER_RAN K</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Is this correct?

Yes. Don't worry, this setting has been added to the BUG panel, to be featured in Beta3. I won't let you set out of bound values. ;)

Top Bottom