Monarch charming

Asaf

Sleep Deprived
Hi all,

Is anyone interested in playing a Warlords or Vanilla SG?
I've never played an SG, and it looks fun.

I haven't started a game yet (waiting to see if there are enough people), but the settings will be these:
No MODs (only the latest patch for each version, I think it's 2.13 for Warlords).
Monarch (I usually play on prince, and I recently went up to monarch. No luck there yet, but I'm working on it)
Normal speed, small map (so it won't take too long).
I usually randomize most other settings, but I'm open to suggestions.

I think 3 other players will be a good number.

So, anyone interested?

1. Asaf
2. cripp7
3. mlinneak
4. mrt309

Hi cripp7!

I thought about either continents or pangaea, and a random leader (I like surprises) but as I said, I'm open to suggestions.

BTW, I guess you mean Warlords (not Vanilla), right?

When you say no mods, do you mean no mods that affect other players? I have BUG installed, but it would not affect your play of the game. I don't think my machine could handle a dual civ install where BUG is removed.

If it's ok for me to have that on my own machine, I'd be interested in joining. :)

Game created (Warlords 2.13). Let's see if others join...

Monarch, pangaea, small (with 6 leaders. I liked the idea), normal.

I randomized the leader and got Wang Kon of Korea.

Opening screen:
Spoiler :

Settings:
Spoiler :

And of course, starting location:
Spoiler :

So... financial, with mysticism, on a lake, with sea food :mischief:

Is it possible to get all the first 3 religions on monarch (we also have mining, on the way to masonry)?

Which first? Bud/Hin?

I don't think I've ever founded a religion on monarch before (the AI always got there before me, so I stopped trying), but then again, the circumstances were a bit different.

I say we should found the city right here.

I think we wait a short while to see if anyone else wants to join. And then 15 turns each on the first round, 10 turns after that.

@mlinneak
actually BUG is for BTS, warlords does not have anything like that. glad to see you here!

Is it possible to get all the first 3 religions on monarch (we also have mining, on the way to masonry)?
doubtful, I usually skip the early religions and go for Confucianism by getting CoL. Going for early religion means skipping work are techs. we need fishing before a religion

Which first? Bud/Hin?

I don't think I've ever founded a religion on monarch before (the AI always got there before me, so I stopped trying), but then again, the circumstances were a bit different.
see previous quote

I say we should found the city right here.
move the warrior 1SW and see what we got there before settling

Certainly :) I am still in the process of moving so my time will be limited at first but I should still be able to participate. :)

I agree with moving the warrior first to look, but strongly recommend settling in place anyway. Financial makes the water tiles useful, and 2 seafood resources are nice. Forests and 3 hills in our BFC. I like the starting position. We may want to try for the Great Lighthouse and Colossus, especially if after scouting some more we find we have a lot of coastal area.

Edit: If you guys wanted to, we could check to see if mrt309 is around and would like to join.

@mlinneak - feel free to invite him.

I moved the warrior so we'd have some more info, and here's what we got:

Spoiler :

Yep. more food. It's good since we can't use the fish for a while (it's in the ocean).
We'd also might want AH now.

This is pangaea, and it looks like we're in the NE corner, so I think we can reach more coastal area pretty easily.

I usually let the city grow to 2 before building a worker, but I saw many people who play differently. What do you think? (since we can't build a fishing boat until we research fishing...)

We start with Mysticism and Mining?

I would research Fishing first while building a worker. The worker could mine our hills for us. Then I would recommend AH and building workboats.

I will send a PM to mrt309 and see if he's up to a Warlords game.

Yes, i am in:)

IMO we should settle in place, research fishing, build a warrior while waiting for fishing and then build a workboat by working hammer tiles. But mlinneak's idea seems okay too.

@mrt309 - welcome!

Done with 15 turns.

4000 BC (1) - Seoul was founded. Starting on a worker (city never gonna grow in time anyway). Sent warrior to discover new land.

3960 BC (2) - Research fishing.

3880 BC (4) - Hello Shaka! (Zulu, Aggressive/Expansive). We met his scout who came from the south.

3760 BC (7) - Fishing --> Hunting (on the way to AH).

3600 BC (11) - popped a hut. They are hostile! :(
Spoiler :

3560 BC (12) - run away! Hunting --> AH

3440 BC (15) - map looks like this:
Spoiler :

Some resources to the west. Not a very good start, sorry about that.

After work boat is complete, working on the improved clam the worker will be done in about 11 turns.

It's gonna be crowded here soon (6 leaders, small map), so I'd build a city not too close to home (a city to share the fur and the cow near the coast? or maybe instead of coast to share the ivory, but too much desert and mountains there).

On the other hand, 1N to the marble might be a good spot (to share the sheep - Seoul can use the clam) if we want the cities to grow at all.

We'll know more after scouting some more down south.

save: View attachment Charming BC-3440.CivWarlordsSave

@cripp7 - you're up.

I think the Oracle is a long shot, but it will be fun to try.
If we want it we need to move the settler earlier a bit (immediately after we let the city grow? maybe only 1 warrior instead of wb-warrior-warrior). In any case we should go for BW after AH so we can chop.
And hopefully we'll find something interesting in the south. Shaka is probably pretty close.
Oh, and the worker will be done in 7-8 turns, not 11. My mistake.

AH - BW - TW - Pottery unless we won't build the oracle. It's a nice wonder but early expansion is important on small pangea map.

There may be sea food in the north. It's early to decide where to settle the second city. Maybe near marble, fur or gold.

IHT-
nothing to do is except hit enter

3400bc (1)
Buddhism fidl

3360bc (2)
Meet Frenchy
Spoiler :

Seoul wb>worker
workboat goes to fish

3320bc (3)
fish netted, work are due in 7t

3200bc (6)
found Shaka to the south

3120bc (8)
AH > TW for chariot rush on Shaka
Spoiler surprise! :

stop here for the moment to discuss whether going TW for chariots as Shaka is six tiles to our south, where continue BW

Sounds like a good idea to me - getting Shaka out of the way early wouldn't be a bad idea, and having a second capital as our next city would be nice as well :goodjob:

Top Bottom