PCX: Napoleon

CivIVMonger

Emperor
Hello Forum, and welcome to the PC! This series was started a while back and was purposed around getting Noble level players to Prince; and prince to Monarch. Also, the second, (and equally important) is to have fun! It is also advised for some of the more advanced players to help out the people asking questions by giving solid advice.

Our leader this ninth run in the series

Organized and Charismatic, Even individually these are arguably some of the best traits in the game. When combined, they offer a good synergy. Organized will never let you down and is guaranteed to be of good use at the very least. Charismatic is a flexible trait that makes early growth and wars easier.

The starting technologies are nice. Personally, I think they fair more on the economic side and I really do appreciate them. However, I still can’t say even in my opinion that they are the best.

The Unique Unit

This in my humble opinion is a good UU. Not astounding but it really is nice. It’s a little bit like an early Cuirassier in the regard that it has 2 base movement points. I am excited to see it utilized in this game.

The Unique Building

I think, (and possibly with everyone else) that this is a bad UB. It just comes too late to be of significant benefit. I would appreciate it more if say, it where library replacement.

(Sorry for the background in the screenshots. It should be legible though. My screenshot software expired in which I could window a screenshot.)

The Start

Spoiler :
I think Warrior 1NW and settle in place is the best initial move.

The Save
View attachment PCX Napoleon.zip.zip

(If there are any problems with the save, please notify me as soon as possible. I have tried to do my best editing this but if I forgot something I am sorry.)

Finally, a cut and paste (and another slight edit) of the Nobles Club standard doctrine:

(I hope it isn't rude to use the same doctrine, as It applies to most forum games.)

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "PCVIII Qin Shi Huang" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome!

Have fun playing the forum game!

You don't need to double zip :/.

The start looks amazing.

That was a mistake.

And yes, to be honest I in no way edited this map and it came out looking almost World Builder edited. This should be an easy game for most players, bah! I won't spoil anything... ;)

Since there's only one WB save, other than adding Archery as usual, is there any other consideration for playing the save at a higher level than prince.

Since there's only one WB save, other than adding Archery as usual, is there any other consideration for playing the save at a higher level than prince.

I was unsure about removing Archery. I didn't know if it removed it on *all* difficulties.
I did make starting units according to the difficulty level.

Guys I'm sorry for yet again failing on a forum game. If I made any mistakes on the save I am truely sorry. As you probobly already know I am not good with computers.

Just for clarification, what are all of the things that I messed up on this time so that I can prevent them from happening in the next installment?

Thats like what 12 grassland river tiles 2 clams a cow wet corn 3 green hills. Looks great.

I was unsure about removing Archery. I didn't know if it removed it on *all* difficulties.
I did make starting units according to the difficulty level.

Guys I'm sorry for yet again failing on a forum game. If I made any mistakes on the save I am truely sorry. As you probobly already know I am not good with computers.

Just for clarification, what are all of the things that I messed up on this time so that I can prevent them from happening in the next installment?

Oh, I was not meaning to imply that you did anything wrong at all. Archery is something I have to add to barbs no matter the series - I forget exactly, but there's some issue with it. TMIT knows. He could also enlighten you on anything else helpful with creating forum games.

As far as I'm concern the save is good to go. I was just trying to understand why some folks provide files for multiple difficulty levels - never really understood this since you have to select the difficulty anyway.

Interestingly, I think I've played every leader except for Nappy, although he is my most hated rival.

Oh, I was not meaning to imply that you did anything wrong at all. Archery is something I have to add to barbs no matter the series - I forget exactly, but there's some issue with it. TMIT knows. He could also enlighten you on anything else helpful with creating forum games.

As far as I'm concern the save if good to go. I was just trying to understand why some folks provide files for multiple difficulty levels - never really understood this since you have to select the difficulty anyway.

Interestingly, I think I've played every leader except for Nappy, although he is my most hated rival.

Barb tech data is not stored in WB save texts, so you can't modify other than in-game worldbuilder. Many have tried, be we still don't have a way to make them have archery at the start of a WB save one just opens.

The reason for different saves based on difficulty is the AI starting techs vary by difficulty (so do the units, but this can be set to scale properly when hosting a series via text WB save). Monarch AIs get archery. Immortal AIs also get stuff like wheel/archery/agriculture. When I make maps, I just add a save that gives the AI archery...IMO the other techs seldom make a huge difference compared to the AI bonuses and starting units.

"Easy game for most players", huh :lol:?

Imm/Normal

1 AD

Spoiler :

Settling in place is obvious. We are on an island with only Churchill as a neighbor. On lower levels one might consider rushing, but on immortal trying to rush a PRO leader isn't a cakewalk. The clincher for me is that he founded a religion and does not DoW @ pleased.

Opened AH ---> Fishing ---> Writing ----> Min/BW ----> Pottery

Which is somewhat unorthodox. I got mysticism after that. I wanted a jump on GPP with a limited start like this (not a lot of land or trade opportunity), so wanted to get scientists to speed my way to astro. Capitol and city #2 are both good cottage sites. Settling cow/rice is good enough to block to the east. I could have headed north, but 2 factors decided against it: a barb city and jungle (without ability to trade for IW). I did not want to strain maintenance heavily for a city or two that would not pay off for some time.

Nevertheless, I picked up enough room for 6 cities, although only 4 of them are strong.

I am teching pretty quickly via academy in capitol, and I've already bulbed taoism (strangely, got confuc by researching it on the way! Other continent is not blowing away in tech...) Churchill is teching slowly. His main redeeming qualities to me:

- Religion
- Resource trade (handy)
- Tech trade if I can get to friendly
- Trade routes for better early commerce pre-astro

To liberalism

Spoiler :

Not an exciting segment. I put 1 bulb into astro, finished that path in the 700's, then went for lib (1 bulb into education). By lib time I have the tech, circumnavigation, and a tech lead:

While monty is fairly large in relative terms, he barely has double digit cities and is teching poorly. Nobody is near astro, which means I enjoy a GNP lead for some time.

Tech plan is to head for musketeer + cannon to mop churchill before he gets redcoats (I'll just run theo for 5 xp), using 4 non-cottage cities for production. After that rifles + state property MIGHT allow intercontinental raids. An alternative would be to take English conquests and run for space race, since the AI is tech poor and I can probably hold monty/toku off and still outpace them + Joao. Conquest might be easier though. If I can get a capitulation foothold in say, Japanese territory, I can chain my way all the way over there even without a super advanced navy, and it's only a 2-3 turn trip to Japan by galley it seems (pretty sure it's 2 if I shuttle).

Comments on map so far (spoiler for lib timeframe):

Spoiler :

I wouldn't call it an EASY game, since it's rife with warmongers and the start offers limited trade opportunities and a trap...not to mention the only GREAT cities are capitol and flood plains to the north. However it's not max difficulty ---> though we are in a bad position in terms of teching early on, we don't have heavy diplo concerns early and the other continent does not seem apt to run away in tech with the warmonger sandwich as such. I'd say it's actually a bit harder than an average game, but not much, and a good map for variety in the PC.

Comments on map so far (spoiler for lib timeframe):

Spoiler :

I wouldn't call it an EASY game, since it's rife with warmongers and the start offers limited trade opportunities and a trap...not to mention the only GREAT cities are capitol and flood plains to the north. However it's not max difficulty ---> though we are in a bad position in terms of teching early on, we don't have heavy diplo concerns early and the other continent does not seem apt to run away in tech with the warmonger sandwich as such. I'd say it's actually a bit harder than an average game, but not much, and a good map for variety in the PC.

Spoiler for the map :

Totally agree. I was around the 2000BC and was about to explore past Churchill, and ehhh, I saw coast line? I immediately saved game and quit for a timeout. And yes, so many poor land with no high food resources for early settle. It's a tough map.

Sorry, but all anyone gets here is to lib. I played past, conquered 1 AI completely, and was in the middle of pounding on a second, capturing FIVE cities and being #2 in power, when the target AI capped to an AI that had yet to capture one of its cities.

This is a changeup from the usual PAssal "screw you". SUPPOSEDLY, capping to a civ that did less damage is actively discouraged in the mechanics. To overcome 5 cities, the AI would need to have killed ~25 units, but since I also killed about 40 units, the AI would have had to kill 65+ units and take fewer losses than I did. Not damned likely, so some inflated power score was the likely culprit.

That's a rage/quit. The person my target capped to not only wasn't THAT much stronger than me (I had over 3/4 of its power and was WAY up on our mutual target), but by capping my target was dragged into a different war!

Could I still win? Absolutely (especially diplo ----> shared war!), but I can't be bothered with it, civ V beta is out. I shouldn't still be running tests on beta versions of civ IV mechanics 5 years after release :mad:.

Can the beta be downloaded somewhere or it's only for a few chosen ones?

It's a closed beta...anyway the point is that this is the kind of thing that should have seen correction 5 years ago, not still being encountered post 5+ patches and an expansion release later, right before the next iteration.

Actually now that I think about it vassal states weren't even possible until warlords (I didn't start playing until BTS was out actually, but had warlords only briefly). I wonder how much testing the vassal state mechanics really saw, and how the few changes patches have implemented were really determined.

I am tempted to disable them in every forum game I play, but unlike huts and events, that has HUGE gameplay implications, and I'm not sure I want to give up comparable games (one reason I don't frequent quick or marathon speed also). Usually, this isn't too bad, but when a vassal "screw you" it can REALLY screw you...this game actually wasn't as bad as some, since I still had some outs and it didn't hit me ASAP before my first war or put me in one of those situations where I meet 4 civs the same turn because 3 are vassals. Pent up frustration I guess.

Sorry! I *did* peek into the WB while saving this game. I did also notice that it was an isolated start. (With one other AI.) If you where on a mainlaid you would still have to deal with the same threat from the AI. (Actually more threat being that there is more competition.) However, I think wrong a lot of time still on Monarch being a relatively avid player. Don't take any advice/remarks from me... ;)

Well, how was the game? I honestly am not going to play it as I sort of spoiled it for myself peeking and all. :sad:

Sorry! I *did* peek into the WB while saving this game. I did also notice that it was an isolated start. (With one other AI.) If you where on a mainlaid you would still have to deal with the same threat from the AI. (Actually more threat being that there is more competition.) However, I think wrong a lot of time still on Monarch being a relatively avid player. Don't take any advice/remarks from me... ;)

Well, how was the game? I honestly am not going to play it as I sort of spoiled it for myself peeking and all. :sad:

The start is hard because of limited trade opportunity, but overall it's not a bad game as long as the RNG or vassal mechanics don't decide it's a good time to bend you over.

@CivIVMonger

quite contrary, if you put the player on the mainland it's much easier. now as TMIT said, player has to rely on the random factor and have no control over the other AIs until he reaches Optics at the fastest. doesn't seem to be a big issue at lower levels, definitely BIG issue for deity/immortal players.

Definitely an issue, but this is 100% certain winnable on immortal, and probably deity also although the player would have to be pretty good...

Playing on Monarch (added archery and tried not to look at the map).

First thoughts:

Great starting location, settling in place. Should make a good settler farm first, then probably a GP farm later (might have to move capital, of course), with the three great food spots.

-marick

Sorry, but all anyone gets here is to lib. I played past, conquered 1 AI completely, and was in the middle of pounding on a second, capturing FIVE cities and being #2 in power, when the target AI capped to an AI that had yet to capture one of its cities.

That exactly happened to me too, I played to around 1800 AD and had war with one enemy to which i was invited from someone else and guess what happened, I took 2 cities from that enemy and he capitulates to the AI who declared war before... I was very angry at that time, will probably play it through though.

One remark, I play on Noble and the map is tough :-( not very lucky with distribution of AIs on continents.

Monarch/normal thru 1884AD:

Spoiler :

I settled in place and concentrated on REXing. Churchill didn't found a religion, so I took CoL with the Oracle, founding confucianism. OFC, I still couldn't trade with him until the other AIs showed up. :rolleyes: I limited him to 6 cities (4 decent, 2 crap), and easily teched to good lead. I took Nat from lib, building several wonders along the way (GLib, Parth, UoS, Sistine, Taj). Once I got rifling/steel/MilTrad I took Churchill out (lbows/knights). The AIs were quick to rifling, so I waited until I had AL/combustion/flight before venturing overseas, building Pentagon, SoL, B'way, R&R, CR along the way. I capped Monty easily after his vassal Bismark broke away. Bis is up next, then wither Joao or HC (Joao is the most advanced AI, with infantry, although far behind me). Luckily, Joao was in a punishing war with Monty so he's probably somewhat weak - Monty gave me Lisbon in the peace deal. :lol: It's totally swamped in Portuguese culture, but I think I'll just stock it full of MGs, tanks, bombers, and p-troops so I can attack him from the inside out (he's pleased with me, so no problem getting troops there, especially once I rush-buy an airport). Fun game and pretty easy so far. ;)

Top Bottom