Missionaries Female Versions

SaibotLieh

Emperor
My next project is to create female versions of all missionaries. Finding images to base the units on is a bit harder than I expected, religion seem to be a pretty 'male' domain. However, I've finished the first two units. They are the female versions of the Christian and the Confucian Missionary:
Spoiler :

I guess it is easy to see which missionary supposed to belongs to which religion. In fact the Confucian Missionary doesn't belong to Confucianism at all in real life. She is based on the Japanese shrine maiden who belong to the Shinto religion. But because there seem to be no Confucian 'nuns' and the Shinto religion isn't represented in any other way in the game I think this should be okay.

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14829

There are of course 5 other missionaries left to be femalized. If anybody has some ideas how they should look like I'd be most grateful. :)

Very impressive! You did a good job on these!:goodjob: Are they teamcolored?

Nice work :goodjob: Someone should make a Modcomp that gives a 25% chance of the missionary you train being female soon. That would have been quite cool.

P.S.
Her's an idea for a muslim one:
Spoiler :

Thanks again everybody. :)

Very impressive! You did a good job on these!:goodjob: Are they teamcolored?
Aye, they are. The color of the bible and everything that is red on the shrine maiden is teamcolored. A nice side effect is that the maiden has the the shown red color when they are Japanse, just like in real life. :)

Nice work :goodjob: Someone should make a Modcomp that gives a 25% chance of the missionary you train being female soon. That would have been quite cool.
That modcomp will definitely be made by me, maybe even before I've finished all the missionary models. In my Great People modcomp I used a 15% chance without emancipation and 50% with it. Should I make the chance higher this time?

P.S.
Her's an idea for a muslim one:
Spoiler :
That's a good starting point, thanks. :goodjob:
Does anybody know if the muslim women wore this kind of clothing through the whole history of the Islam? If possible I would like to give the missionary some kind of historical outfit.

That Christian one IS Therese de Lisieux. My girlfriend will be most pleased at seeing her! :lol:

Nice job!
I hope she likes her. :)

Nice, as always! :goodjob:

For Muslim women, well, the rule of thumb is they dress like a Nun but the head cover (the hijab) also cover their breast. That will do for a generic Muslim woman.

The face is ok to be uncovered. Many Muslim women regards the veil as non-obligatory. South-east Asian Muslim women usually do not use veils.

If you want to cover the face, then there are several style such as :

Burqa

The Afghanistan women typically use all-black burqa.

Khimar

Niqab

The difference is in how much of her face can be revealed. :)

The colors used by Muslim women in middle-east usually black, brown, blue, green (one color only). But if you want to make it more flavourful, you may choose from many local style such as South-east Asia or India. Usually Muslim women there use more colorful clothes (as my first picture).

For medieval princessess, you could use one of these since Muslim princesses' style vary from country to country. Or, IMO, you can just use a Europe wedding dress and add the hijab.

Examples :

If you want details, there is an art Muslim princessess use : Henna. It's a non-permanent body painting, usually used in hands.

Wrong dress for Muslim women (furthermore princessess) are what bellydancer wear, or Jasmine in Disney's Alladin. No respectable women (furthermore princessess) would wear that kind of outfit, except inside their own bedchamber :lol:

Hope this help :D

Attachments

• burqa_afghanistan_muslim_women_taliban.jpg
    burqa_afghanistan_muslim_women_taliban.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,390
  • khimar_muslim_women_veil_face_covering.jpg
    khimar_muslim_women_veil_face_covering.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,379
  • niqab_muslim_women_headdress.jpg
    niqab_muslim_women_headdress.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 20100224133925634_crop.jpg
    20100224133925634_crop.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 20070308women_day_muslim_crop.jpg
    20070308women_day_muslim_crop.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,500
  • white50.jpg
    white50.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 1,702
  • svveilswideweb470x3080dc0.jpg
    svveilswideweb470x3080dc0.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,359
  • henna.jpg
    henna.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,477
I am currently working on adding a Arabic/Middle East-inspired Fairy Tale nation to my mod, so I'm most interested in seeing what the Muslim missionary will look like. That white wedding dress Esvath posted looks quite amazing and would make her stand out.

I'd still be interested in seeing a bellydancer though. :mischief:

Nice, as always! :goodjob:

For Muslim women, well, the rule of thumb is they dress like a Nun but the head cover (the hijab) also cover their breast. That will do for a generic Muslim woman.

The face is ok to be uncovered. Many Muslim women regards the veil as non-obligatory. South-east Asian Muslim women usually do not use veils.

The difference is in how much of her face can be revealed. :)

The colors used by Muslim women in middle-east usually black, brown, blue, green (one color only). But if you want to make it more flavourful, you may choose from many local style such as South-east Asia or India. Usually Muslim women there use more colorful clothes (as my first picture).

Thanks for the input, these information are very helpful. I don't know very much about religions and would hate it to make a missionary that is in fact quite unfitting to the religion she wants to spread. :)
From the pictures I've see so far I figured that the Islamic missionary will have to look a bit similar to the nun I've made. Because the Jewisch missionary will also have to cover her hair I'm rather afraid that those three units will be hard to distinguish. That was also a reason why I asked if Muslim woman wore different clothing in the past. I guess I'll have to do with different colors to differ the missionaries.

For medieval princessess, you could use one of these since Muslim princesses' style vary from country to country. Or, IMO, you can just use a Europe wedding dress and add the hijab.

Did I say something about princesses? :confused:
Well, no matter, the pictures should be a great help for me. :goodjob:

Wrong dress for Muslim women (furthermore princessess) are what bellydancer wear, or Jasmine in Disney's Alladin. No respectable women (furthermore princessess) would wear that kind of outfit, except inside their own bedchamber :lol:

Thought as much. Still I hoped that the Muslim woman dressed a bit 'lighter' in the past. But I guess that would be same as making a cross between a barmaid and a nun for the Christian missionary. :lol:

I am currently working on adding a Arabic/Middle East-inspired Fairy Tale nation to my mod, so I'm most interested in seeing what the Muslim missionary will look like. That white wedding dress Esvath posted looks quite amazing and would make her stand out.

I'd still be interested in seeing a bellydancer though. :mischief:

Sounds promising. :thumbsup: I guess I'll go with a darker color (she'll want to proselytize people, not marry them after all :lol:). Won't become a bellydancer either, but maybe you'll like the courtesan from FfH2. She looks like one:
Spoiler :

I didn't know that unit existed! And actually I'm trying to come up with some ideas for a Canaanite/Ba'alic (i.e. Priestess of Ba'al) and an ancient Mesopotamian Temple Priestess/Prostitute for use as a Canaanite Missionary, Canaanite Inquisitor, and Anunnaki (Mesopotamian) Inquisitor. If you can whip up something that could work for at least two of those units you'd have my gratitude. :goodjob:

Or if anyone could post that unit, that'd be helpful too.

Did I say something about princesses? :confused:
Well, no matter, the pictures should be a great help for me. :goodjob:

No, Islam does not have an order of Nun, so there was/is no special social class dedicated to religious missions. In medieval Muslim worlds, the most possible female acts as missionary is a princess, or a merchant daughter.

Thought as much. Still I hoped that the Muslim woman dressed a bit 'lighter' in the past.

Actually, they'll be more heavier than current Muslim woman :lol: While there is no order of Nuns, the typical dress all Muslim women used were Nun-like.

I guess I'll go with a darker color (she'll want to proselytize people, not marry them after all :lol:).

If I may make suggestions, then how about her with brown skin (like Arabs/light Africans/or, maybe, South-east Asians)? Then the dress might be some colors suit her skin. Also I think it's ok to add a little bit of jewelry. Gold, gems and ivory were plentiful.

Won't become a bellydancer either, but maybe you'll like the courtesan from FfH2. She looks like one:
Spoiler :

That I like but wrong science as Muslim woman :lol:. Too bad the Courtesan is invisible to enemies. :p

I didn't know that unit existed! And actually I'm trying to come up with some ideas for a Canaanite/Ba'alic (i.e. Priestess of Ba'al) and an ancient Mesopotamian Temple Priestess/Prostitute for use as a Canaanite Missionary, Canaanite Inquisitor, and Anunnaki (Mesopotamian) Inquisitor. If you can whip up something that could work for at least two of those units you'd have my gratitude. :goodjob:

Or if anyone could post that unit, that'd be helpful too.

Well, I don't have any idea how these should look like, but I hope I'll hit your expectations anyway. :)
By the way, because most of my female units are based on the spy model, it should be rather easy to swap their animation sets. So if one of my previous works look like what you have in mind I could give that model one of the finished missionary animation sets.

No, Islam does not have an order of Nun, so there was/is no special social class dedicated to religious missions. In medieval Muslim worlds, the most possible female acts as missionary is a princess, or a merchant daughter.

Ah, now I understand. Good way of thinking. :goodjob:

Actually, they'll be more heavier than current Muslim woman :lol: While there is no order of Nuns, the typical dress all Muslim women used were Nun-like.

Then I'll work with this. At the moment I'm still busy with my Taoist missionary, but I think the Islam one comes next.

If I may make suggestions, then how about her with brown skin (like Arabs/light Africans/or, maybe, South-east Asians)? Then the dress might be some colors suit her skin. Also I think it's ok to add a little bit of jewelry. Gold, gems and ivory were plentiful.

I also thought about giving her a darker skin color. It's just a shame that not much will be seen of it. ;)
Don't know about jewelry at the moment. My idea of a missionary is a rather plain dressed one, but I'll see.

Why don't you just make her clothing team-colored?

Aye, thought the same. I'll have to see if I'll end up making her clothing single-colored or if I go with a more colorful approach.

Well, I've lots of other things to do at the moment, thus I only managed to complete the Female Taoist Missionary for now. However, I already finished the program code for the modcomp and added the revised versions of my Female CEOs to it. If put the modcomp up already (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9257885), but of course for now it only features the three finished Missionaries and the CEOs. Here are the pictures of the two new units:
Spoiler :

Next unit should be the Islamic Missionary. I think I should manage for her with the pictures and ideas posted so far, but if there are still some new ideas don't hesitate to post them. Also, ideas for the other three religion (Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism) are welcome, too, of course. :)

Nice! The CEO is really hot! I might have use for the Taoist one.

For the Judaism Missionary you might consider some biblical looking stuff. I dunno how women dressed in the times of Moses, but something like that. There should be masses of material and inspiration on that online. Why not make her into a Queen Sheeba for variation? I think she was from Ethiopia, as a matter of fact, although she may not have been a Jew, she did bring the wisdom of Solomon with her back home. It is still said that the Jews of Ethiopia and Sudan have their roots in her times. I'm digressing, and I'm not certain of all of this, but it might do for an idea for a Jewish Missionary.

Awesome!
Do you plan to do some other religion's female missinaries too after the vanilla ones are ready?
It would be fun to see an Aesir missionary based on nordic godesses, or a Voodoo one based on an old vodun witch ;)

Awesome!
Do you plan to do some other religion's female missinaries too after the vanilla ones are ready?
It would be fun to see an Aesir missionary based on nordic godesses, or a Voodoo one based on an old vodun witch ;)

I would like to second these requests (since they are in my mod it would be helpful), I have effects for them too if you need them. Don't forget the Priestess of Ba'al or an ancient Mesopotamian chick... :mischief:

Nice! The CEO is really hot!

Yes, she certainly is. Maybe a bit too hot for a business woman. :think: Well, she is one of my first models and I didn't want to change much, just cleaned her animation set a bit. :)

I might have use for the Taoist one.

For the Judaism Missionary you might consider some biblical looking stuff. I dunno how women dressed in the times of Moses, but something like that. There should be masses of material and inspiration on that online. Why not make her into a Queen Sheeba for variation? I think she was from Ethiopia, as a matter of fact, although she may not have been a Jew, she did bring the wisdom of Solomon with her back home. It is still said that the Jews of Ethiopia and Sudan have their roots in her times. I'm digressing, and I'm not certain of all of this, but it might do for an idea for a Jewish Missionary.

That would be more or less the time I would like to base my Missionary on, but I don't know about the queen-stuff. I'd rather like to have a more commen look for her. However, the most important thing is that the first thing coming to mind seeing her is that she is supposed to be a Jewish person. So far I haven't found anything that gives me this impression, but then again I haven't really searched that hard for now.

Awesome!

I would like to second these requests (since they are in my mod it would be helpful), I have effects for them too if you need them. Don't forget the Priestess of Ba'al or an ancient Mesopotamian chick... :mischief:

First things first, for now I've four other missionaries to finish. But after that, who knows...
Most important thing are images I can base the unit upon. If you have something in mind, you can always pm me the images. Maybe I take up the task. But as I said, in any case it will take a while until I'll start with that units.
So much to do and so little time for it... :(

Top Bottom