One Last Roll of the Dice

grandad1982

Deity
Hello!

Its been some time since I was in or hosted an SG or in fact played much Civ4. However with the recent news regarding Civ5 my interest has been rekindled!

After playing a few solo games I've decided that now might be a good time to play one last Civ4 SG before Civ5 (and Fallout New Vegas) start to demand my attention.

In other words it's time for One Last Roll of the Dice!

Since this will (possibly ;)) be my last Civ4 SG I've decided to use a Leader, and indeed Civ that I rarely use.

Without further ado....

Spoiler :

Charles de Gualle of the mighty French!

These are the game settings.
Spoiler :

In addition to these settings I should mention that I am running BTS 3.19, BUG 4.4 and BULL 1.2. I'm not 100% sure if you will need to run BULL to run the save. IMO its worth it for the pre-chop function alone!

I've already rolled a start so here it is.
Spoiler :

Looks pretty good to me. Nice food with maybe another food resourse in the fog, the gems to power some early teching and plenty of forests to chop. Only shame is that the warrior isn't in a position to expose the land to the east.

I run a fairly relaxed system with my SGs as I know RL can be a bit of a PITA sometimes, so its 48/72 got it and play. If you need a skip then please let us know sooner rather than later so the game doesn't stall to much. Please try to give a pre-set plan and let your team mates comment etc on it before playing as this is a team game after all. Talking of sets the preffered set length is 15 turns in the BCs (or to a suitable point give or take a couple of turns) and 10 turns in the ADs. The first couple of sets can be 20 turns due to the large amount of hitting enter that tends to happen.

Phew!

Roster
grandad1982
Meiz
Nictel
Cam H
Admiral Kutzov

The save

Heh, your motivation for civ4 is exactly the same as I have, just waiting for Civ5 and Fallout New Vegas :). That being said, I'd be interested to join as long as the save works without BUG / Bull.

About the start, there seems to be forests in the fog, so I doubt that there are any additional resources. Probably copper / iron in the plains, 1N of the lake. Moving doesn't seem to add any value, so I would settle in place. Worker + Mining would be the best start in my opinion.

@meiz. I'll pencil you in and hopefully your'll be able to run the save without any issues. So welcome onboard!

Pretty sure the save can be run without BUG. As I say not so sure about BULL.

I thought that 1N2E looked unforested but actually there does appear to be a tree just showing in the corner of the square.

I was thinking settle in place also as moving E loses the gems and moving SW adds a sea tile. Moving S loses fresh water.

I guess the warrior moves NW on to the hill.

I would also say Mining and BW first. After that its either AH or Myst. I say Myst so Stone Henge can be chopped out (pretty nice wonder with our trait combo). 2 of the 3 practice openings with de Gaulle I played got me SH (on different maps).

On a side note... I'm thinking that I'll play and finish New Vegas before I buy Civ5 so that there will be more chance of some of the bugs being ironed out before I get it. Thats if I don't get to exited and buy Civ5 straight off!

Just checked the other Bull mod SG. Seems from the opening statement that Bull is nedded to run a Bull save :(

"Bulls" in your court Meiz.

Ok, I'll try if it works when I get home. Is it easy to start another game without Bull? I'm playing in couple of multiplayer games and I don't wan't to "corrupt" those saves :D

Edit: I found the readme and I can indeed install only BULL as a separate mod. So no problem there, just don't mind my stupid questions regarding the new features! ;)

I wish I had realised it could be a seperate mod! It was only after I installed it that I guessed it might affect SGs.

As for starting new game that might potentially involve me clean installing Civ if I had trouble unistalling BULL.

As for the features, like BUG, most are passive info displays with a couple like workers autostopping a chop 1 turn before completion (no more forgetting those pre chops!).

Also BUG comes with a multiplayer install option built in to the .exe file. Sweet.

I just tested that the save opened without any mods. Probably because BUG / BULL doesn't alter the gameplay mechanics. So I'm good to go! Hopefully there's interest for this SG so we can get it actually started :)

Nice one Meiz. Your now not only onboard you've got your own cabin with a complimentary cocktail bar!

If you can give room to a normally on prince playing player with a tendency to make some :smoke: moves I'm in! :);)

Your in Nictel. Don't worry about the :smoke:

My first SG really helped drag me from Noble to Monarch level play simply from having people critique my ideas before and after I played my sets. If in doubt just ask!

If we get one more player we can think about getting this game going if everyone agrees. Obviously another 2 or 3 would be ideal as a final number (6 in total) but I want to see what this map holds!

In my opinion 6 players is already quite much in SG. You tend to lose focus from the game when there is a big gap between your own turns. 5x15 = 75 turns before you get to play again. But as a host, that's your call of course :)

Well I work on the pricipal of 5 or 6 as there are always those who drop out along the way for whatever reasons. I'd be happy with another 1 or 2 players really.

With RL comitments I just find less than 4 means that there can be quite a high workload on certain players if skips are needed etc.

What ever happens though in about 24 hours we'll kick this off and look to grab a player or 2 if we are still short or a sutaible number.

Likewise, with 'RL pressures' I really shouldn't ...

I'm happy to be kept in reserve, and if you find two new roster members I'll bow out, if not, here I am!

A really nice start! A shame settling spot isn't on a river, but non-jungle Gems and lakeside Corn ... :)

Hi Cam H.

I'm guess you probably shouldn't but you rearly want too :lol:

You've got a spot if you want it!

Well, I'm happy to help out ... but I really shouldn't ... ;)

I should warn you that I am afflicted with 'Pyramids addiction', and seeing that we have an Industrious leader and all of those forests ...

So I think we should get this game going and look to pick up another player if possible.

First set seems pretty straight forward to me.
Settle in place
Tech Mining > BW
Build Worker
Explore
Work the cows for the extra commerce

When the time comes improve the corn first then gems (in the second set).

As for the next few sets what do people think about putting whip over flow from a settler and a chop or two in to SH?

SH seems pretty good to me here as we get the :) from CHA as well as the Monuments and the chance of a GProth (like to settle these if I get an early one).

Maybe I should slow down and see what the map says :lol:

EDIT: Oh yer I'm watching the football tonight so if Meiz wants to kick this off then thats fine by me.

Sounds good to me.

I am a little mindful that we'll be delaying Mysticism a bit, and this may hurt our chances of getting Stonehenge, but that's not to say that it's not worth pursuing.

Of course, if it's happiness that you're after, Representation via The Pyramids gives you +3:) in your five top cities! ;)

Oh yer I'm watching the football tonight so if Meiz wants to kick this off then thats fine by me.

Is this a request for a swap?

After BW we could go for myst and put some chops into SH if we wanted. I reckon 2800-2600BC is ok for SH. Once the gems are mined our early tech rate can catch up missing AH after BW fairly well.

I was just moving down the roster since I can't start this off. Since we haven't started I don't really mind who plays. I mearly though that sign up order seemed an easy way to decide who could take the save. If you want it thats fine by me also.

EDIT: Don't forget the first couple of sets can be 20 turns long or untill a suitable point is reached, e.g. worker is built.

I agree with you on the Gems giving our tech' rate a massive boost, and this will enhance our chances of Stonehenge (along with a whole heap of other stuff).

On the roster, I'm happy with the order, and this is your game after all! :) I just wasn't sure whether you were taking the set or passing it along. I've seen rosters stall for days because of uncertainty coupled with courtesy.

Top Bottom