Strategy Informer Civ5 Preview: City Destruction & Puppet Gov't

I really do not like how this new "puppet goverment" option sounds. Removing control and options from the player is NEVER a good move.

unless you're the guy who came up with the stasis worldspell from ffh2 then it's a great idea and should happen every single game :mad:

The reason why it's "removing options" is that the game gives bonuses to you if you leave the city as a puppet. It doesn't matter what that bonus is, merely that it exists. So, to play optimally you're (at least sometimes) supposed to not manage your captured city at all. That is why it's removing options from the player: a player should always be trying to play optimally, but that should not require relinquishing control of one's cities and conquests.

In the design of CIV, they considered creating a civic where you handed over some control of your empire to the AI, and got AI-like bonuses. They realized that wasn't a good idea, for the same reason: the human player needs to be in control of his/her civ, that's the point of the game. If I let the AI manage my cities or workers or missionaries, I do that out of convenience, not because the AI can do a better job of it.

The reason why it's "removing options" is that the game gives bonuses to you if you leave the city as a puppet. It doesn't matter what that bonus is, merely that it exists. So, to play optimally you're (at least sometimes) supposed to not manage your captured city at all. That is why it's removing options from the player: a player should always be trying to play optimally, but that should not require relinquishing control of one's cities and conquests.

In the design of CIV, they considered creating a civic where you handed over some control of your empire to the AI, and got AI-like bonuses. They realized that wasn't a good idea, for the same reason: the human player needs to be in control of his/her civ, that's the point of the game. If I let the AI manage my cities or workers or missionaries, I do that out of convenience, not because the AI can do a better job of it.

facepalm

That's true. The term puppet government can include so much; vassals, occupied nations, protectorates, and even colonies and allies.

I wonder if this puppet government is seen has part of your civilization (empire) or if it creates a new one... :think:

Maybe it becomes one of the independent City-States that you can be allied to!

I still think that someone ought to make a Cold War Scenario/mod with this new feature!

Sorry for the necro but wanted to comment in relation to the "Conquest" thread as well as some other thoughts.

It may be that, for OCC/Conquest, puppet-cities are allowed and thus you'd be able to super-size your one city with the resources of the puppet-states.

I would take the position that puppets never build units since the national government is not generally going to allow an independent city to raise an army that could then fight the mother country in an attempt to regain their original aligence. Besides, the people of the puppet-city would pretty much insist on the master country providing for their defense.

While you have no direct control I do hope they allow you to choose governor focus. I am also assuming that you could automate a worker for (this city only) and thus pretty much just have it be a set-and-forget setup that provides additional gold/science/culture for your empire without having to worry about making them happy.

Regardless of the presence of puppet-states it is probable that annexing a city was going to cause additional unhappiness (on-top of city/pop unhappy); so this simply gives you an option to have less control in exchange for less unhappy. Since I would posit that most people are more upset about being controlled by a foreign power compared to simply paying them tribute this seems to be a prefectable reasonable (and fun) option to provide player.

The presence of puppet-cities does very little to preclude the notion of a vassal nation. A vassal nation gives a percentage of its resources to the master while still retaining enough autonomy to build military units. Moreso, the aggregate cities in the vassal nation would operate to mutual benefit whereas puppet-cities operate independently of all other cities.

Oh no necrophiliacs attacking!!! :run:

Top Bottom