Nobles' Club LIII: Justinian of Byzantium

dalamb

Deity
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Justinian of Byzantium. The Byzantines start with Mysticism and the Wheel.

• Traits: SPIritual means no anarchy after civic and religion switches, which in addition to saving precious game turns can also be used for diplomacy: you can afford to accept AI demands for such changes, then switch back 5 turns later. IMPerialistic means +50%:hammers: when building settlers, which helps with REXing, and +100% emergence of Great Generals, which helps with warfare.
  • His UB: The Hippodrome is a theatre that gives much better happiness results (+1 :) per 5% instead of 10%; +1 :) overall; +1 :) for horse instead of dye).
  • His UU: The Cataphract is a variant knight: 12:strength: instead of 10, but loses immunity to first strikes.
And the start:

As per my usual policy, horses and iron for the UU will be reasonably close, though you might need a 2nd or 3rd city to reach them. That, plus faster settlers and starting with Wheel, means you might have chariots available shortly after Animal Husbandry.
Spoiler map details :
A slightly odd map this time around. I started with an Inland Sea, random opponents, medium sea level, and swapped us with a leader whose start had horses reasonably close.
Spoiler who :
Pericles
Inland Sea is a no-wrap map with land surrounding, you guessed it, a sea in the middle. It seems to have somewhat less food than standard maps, but that may just be the 2-3 maps I happened to generate. I made my usual edit of changing most deserts to plains, and split the single land mass into three parts, each reachable via galleys. I then added a twist.
Spoiler twist :
There are some small uninhabited islands in the inland sea, accessible only after Astronomy unless I goofed, which are the only sources of some late-game resources.
Spoiler which ones :
Oil and Aluminum. They're not needed for many victory strategies on a map like this, so might not affect most peoples' games.
[/spoiler]Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strategies don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 53 Justinian Noble" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Note for those who hate goody huts: open the WB save file with a text editor and delete all lines that say
ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT

Attachments

• NC 53 Justinian.zip
    42.2 KB · Views: 356
interresting start, 1SE from corn is very tempting... too bad it is not to be seen whats in NE from settler

well gold in bfc is worth the shot

techs...hmm i think BW will be up soon, there is enough forrest to chop to speed things, aggri+ah+min first tech.
Since we dont have any of it, I would probably not start worker first, but warr.

And what about settler first? does anyone think it could work with this leader/setup?

I don't think I'd ever do settler first, even with this map. If you do, it might be best to find a site where you can work 4:hammers: for 6:hammers: total (plus excess food if there were any). That's require a forested plains hill in the first ring, or a PH capital with a forested plain or forested grassland hill, or maybe a few other combinations I'm not thinking of. But it might be an interesting strategy to try.

I don't think I'd ever do settler first, even with this map. If you do, it might be best to find a site where you can work 4:hammers: for 6:hammers: total (plus excess food if there were any). That's require a forested plains hill in the first ring, or a PH capital with a forested plain or forested grassland hill. But it might be an interesting strategy to try.

for the bonus from imp are going only hammers or food too (since settlers are built with food).

corn gives 3f, cap is 2f+1h always...or that 1f+2h forrested grasshill

Hmm. I though IMP bonus on settlers and the EXP (or whatever) on workers only applied to hammers.

i forgot to add quote mark...that was a question from me, and you're right it's only bonus on hammers

i already made first run to 295BC, got dowed by someone unmentioned and i think i will set it a bit aside and will try another go from start (tonight as it seems it's not my night)...

interresting map though.

IMP and EXP bonuses are only applied to hammers. Its only worth going settler first with IMP if you can work 4-6 :hammers: as soon as your capital is found (if you manage to settle on a plains hill, with a forested plains hill in the BFC with an IMP leader, go for building a settler first).

IMP and EXP bonuses are only applied to hammers. Its only worth going settler first with IMP if you can work 4-6 :hammers: as soon as your capital is found (if you manage to settle on a plains hill, with a forested plains hill in the BFC with an IMP leader, go for building a settler first).

You can get 4 :hammers: easily by settling on anything and working a plains/hill/forest or by settling on a 2h tile and working plains forest or even just grass/forest/hill.

By the way, moving for gold while giving up fresh water, riverside commerce, turns, etc is not worth it. Settle the gold early but don't screw the cap for it IMO.

You can get 4 :hammers: easily by settling on anything and working a plains/hill/forest or by settling on a 2h tile and working plains forest or even just grass/forest/hill.

By the way, moving for gold while giving up fresh water, riverside commerce, turns, etc is not worth it. Settle the gold early but don't screw the cap for it IMO.

well even if I initally talked about moving, i settled in place afterall, i thought more about the riverside grass and after warriors 1SW i came to conclusion that SIP is indeed better.

one thing I am not so clear is the type of economy... maybe you can help me

Spoiler :

basically the overall land is food resource poor, but with plenty of river and riverside FP. So in my first attempt I went with settling rivers and farming FPs, there is usually 2-3 fp per river, with one exception to west.
but that limits cottages. So my actual gameplan was to farm FP and rely on that gold in second city.
So i am a bit unsure if switching to cottages is worth it, or try some weird specs running economy?

ah and i would love to hear your opinion about strategic decision early, but if you want to play the game i put it better in another spoiler

Spoiler :

to the west there is saladin (pro archers on monarchy) and relatively close, we have horses in BFC if we SIP.
Copper is far away to east. I know position of Iron but that's a bit nonfactor in such early decision.
Would you opt for chariot rush in this situation?
He is a bit bunkered on the most western end of the map, so from west he has no one, just end of map, to east are we, so we are primary target and actually he did screw me up, even if I saw his attack for long time (i was probably too lazy to do against it something, hoping that it just fades away).

Yea, I've never really played Justinian or IMP before, and on this map it would have taken 30 turns for a settler first.

Vranasm:

Spoiler :
I managed to chariot rush Saladin somehow with about 8-10 chariots.

Monarch difficulty:

Spoiler :
If you dont settle in place on this map, no immediate horsies

The nubcake spent all those years between the two attacks building a settler instead of archers, and only had two archers when I sent in a stack of chariots.

However, TMIT would manage that on Immortal :p

1000bc:

Spoiler :
I only trained two settlers, then spammed chariots, on top of the two Arabian cities, I also found two barb cities going the other way. 7 cities, plus two extra settlers waiting for the economy crash to recover, go go Library and Courthouse spam.

I got so many cities that they wont even fit onto a max zoom out :p

Oh, finally a spiritual leader. I'm registering now for a cultural victory.

Starting thoughts, I'll settle on the SE hill for hammer bonus and make this a commerce strong city.

Will move the warrior... SW just to see what's there, but I don't think anything will change my mind. Hammer bonus on a riverside tile. Sweet.

Starting thoughts, I'll settle on the SE hill for hammer bonus and make this a commerce strong city.

The starting space is the best space for the capital on this map, please dont move. It has food, production, a river, and a calendar commerce resource, the plains hill / gold can be taken with the second city.

The SE plains hill would take 3 turns to get to, I would never consider settling anywhere that takes more than 1 turn to settle.

Spoiler :
No one built the pyramids, I managed to get it in 295 AD

505 AD:

Spoiler :
11 cities, Confucian shrine founded, trying to get two more priests for hindu + jewish shrines that Saladin had founded cities. I will try to expand to 16 cities by 1000 AD

i'm making the move to prince for this game. i've had a lot of success at noble on the last 3 games so it seemed like time. given the new difficulty level i'm guessing i'll have a lot of questions on this one.

one request I'd make to the folks playing along is that you post saved games. i've found it's a great way to learn to open up the saves of others and see how they are managing their cities.

Spoiler :
techpath: agriculture ( corn ) > ah > mining > bw > pottery > writing > iron working > alphabet

i went with agriculture first to get the corn going. i then moved the ah. i debated bronze working but decided that given there were no immediate 3+ food tiles other than the cows i figure ah first, then move to BW > wheel & pottery to get some early commerce going while i look to pump settlers and claim land.

it's 3600 bc and i've not yet met anyone. i find a great looking city site to the southeast - great commerce city, arguably a better bureaucracy capital than i have. this will be my first settled city i figure.

my build order goes worker > warrior > settler > warrior > barracks > settler. i have a great city site and it fits the traits of my leader. this seems like a resonable plan. i also have cottageable land to drive some commerce as well as gold to get commerce going. this would be and ok situation to rex even though historically i'm bad at that.

it's been a long time since i've used a leader without mining. ah seemed worth it with the horse tile i got but wow it will be awhile before i have bw and can chop out those forests.

i meet saladin who is to my west and looks to be the founder of buddhism. it isn't clear which direction pericles came from; possibly south, possibly east. i find saladin is immediately west and close enough for a potential rush although i find it's nice to be able to ally religiously with a close neighbor and he founded buddhism. we'll see.

i lose my western exploring warrior to a lion or bear. man that sucks.

after another warrior in my capital i decide on a barracks in case i decide to rush saladin. i'm not really feeling inclined to a great deal given the amount of nice looking land about but it's a possibility and i'd like to get up to size 4 soon.

broze working is in and i immediately change to slavery which i'm sure i'll use soon. i hook up my two cities via a road and start on the goldmine. thessalonica is first pumping out a worker before i grows. i go with pottery after bw to get some early cottages and commerce in the hope this will allow for an aggressive rex.

2280 - i lose my eastern exploring warrior to a lion - my luck is not looking good this game.

2nd settler is out and i decide to settle towards saladin.i do and notice i will overlap his 2nd city almost immediately. i also find no competition yet to the east. pericles must have come from the south. i don't have metal with my first 3 cities but i do have horses and i'm tempted by the thought of rushing saladin. his 2nd city is on a hill which sounds like a nightmare but if i wipe him out by whipping / chopping i may be in a great place with 5 cities, lots of land with commerce and room to expand to the east. this will be the plan. once the granary is done in constantinople it will be all about chariots.

writing is in, i switch to iw & open borders with everyone. i meet asoka in this time and find the greeks who are to my east so unhindered expansion to the east is not what i thought. there is also a barb city to the east as well. i move into saladin's land and find mecca on a plain and only defended by a single archer. life is good. 4 chariots are in my border city now.

i explore around and whip / chop 12 chariots. two of the three cities fall easily but the city on a hill proves my issue. by the time i get 8 chariots there, it has 4 archers and is un-takeable. i switch from currency to construction which i'll have in 21 turns. i then make some tech trades with pericles to get that down to 19 turns. i then decide to extort what i can from saladin. i make peace for 2 of the religious techs.

this will give me an extra negative with pericles but i figure i may as well get something from the war. i'm going to need catapults to truly end it and that's some time away.

since i'm at happiness cap in constantinople and it's time to turtle up and get ready for the next phase of war, i switch to cottages in my capital and go with two scientists. i don't want to grow any larger and i might as well drive some commerce. i also whip out a library in my 2nd commerce city.

it's 725 BC. i'm going to call that the end of chapter 1 and look for some feedback on the game thus far.

my plan from here is as follows:

1. get workers out in my 2 newly capture cities and start building them up
2. get to construction / whip catapults, finish saladin
3. rex eastward as much as possible to claim land away from the greeks who are a potential next war target
4. cross my fingers for religion from either asoka or charlemagne.
5. decide if i'm moving my capital before settling my first great scientist. my capital will be good for commerce but not as good as my 2nd city to the southeast which has something like 5 floodplains and a gold mine. palaces are somewhat hard to knock out.
6. get to priesthood, get the oracle and slingshot COL - this is a big if for me. i never try this kind of thing and i'll only do it if i have time after construction. then again maybe i'm thinking backwards here. maybe the move is to get the COL slingshot and then finish saladin.

ideas, comments more than welcomed.

this map seems to have tons of commerce which makes me think we'll see pretty fast teching. i'm please to appear to be pretty far ahead

Attachments

• NC 53 Justinian BC-0725.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100.8 KB · Views: 145
1000 BC | Prince | Normal
Spoiler :

OK, so I settled in place and got the warrior out scouting. Not much in the way of huts but I did find Saladin pretty close. In fact so close it was a "Must Rush" situation... and luckily AH turned up horses right next to my capital :goodjob: If I'd settled 1SE then they wouldn't have been in the BFC and so no hammers, so I'm pleased I did say in place.
After the grief Saladin gave me in NC 52 I wasn't prepared to tolerate his idiocy a second time around :ar15:

Build order:
Worker - warrior - worker - warrior - settler - worker - warrior.

Tech path:
Agriculture (8 Turns), Mining (7 Turns), Bronze Working (13 Turns), Animal Husbandry (10 Turns), Pottery (8 Turns), Writing (9 Turns), Masonry (4 Turns)

I chopped probably 10 chariots in the end, but the first wave only needed three for Saladin's capital. His second city was much harder, with two archers and two warriors on that damn hill. Burned more that perhaps I should have but to have the rush over with by 1120 BC was worth it.

Plans for the future, get a couple more commerce cities setup before 1AD and grab as much nice land as I can. Plan is to go for a cultural victory so I need at least nine cities and it would be great if I owned a religion or two too. Must start going for wonders now...

As per the dot mapping in the following images, I think the city layout works really well with no overlaps and maximising resource usage (except for those sheep).

My 'empire' to date

Victory conditions

@ I<3PWG - Here is my save as per your request.

Attachments

• NC 53 Justinian BC-1000.rar
    82.4 KB · Views: 166
Here is my 505 AD save from the screenie above:

Attachments

• NC 53 Justinian AD-0505.CivBeyondSwordSave
    185.5 KB · Views: 163
Well, I think I'll have a go at this one. I'd love some help with my game. :p

Noble/Normal

Apparently, I forgot to check no Random Events. Blargh. D:<

4000 - 775BC

Spoiler :

Build Order in Constantinople: Worker > Warrior > Settler > Warrior > Barracks

I settle in place and get started on Agriculture so I can farm the corn nearby. It's not an ideal capital in my opinion, but the two bonuses are alright, and there's plenty of forest for some choprushing. I head off to the west and find a spot near a river where there's a couple of hills as well as stone and sheep, a decent spot for a production city. I go toss up between Mining > BW and AH after Agri is done, and decide to go with the BW path. I keep going west until...

Why hello there, Saladin. He's a bit close for comfort - a possible candidate for a rush. Unfortunately, when BW is done, it becomes clear that there's no copper within visible range. There goes the axe rush. Instead of risking it and going with IW, I decide to see if I can get a Chariot Rush going and start on AH. A lucky hut gifts me a Warrior,
saving me a couple of turns of production in Constantinople.

Luckily, AH gives me access to some horses inside Constantinople's cross, meaning I've got the go-ahead for the chariot rush. I get my workers to chop out a big stack of 12 chariots (as it happens, way more than I need, but I like to be safe), and send them flying towards Mecca. It has a paper-thin defense, just an archer and a warrior. I lose one while trying to inflict some damage to the archer, and another one, unluckily, while killing the warrior. But the holy city of Hinduism falls pretty easily - I decide to keep it, giving me a religion and some more resources. Medina is a bit more well defended - two archers - and three more chariots die, but I manage to take it. It's a pretty shoddy city for a capital, and so I raze it. I steal a worker, too, so I can work a few more tiles in the meantime. Saladin thumbs through his moustache for the last time in 1320 BC. Tech goes Masonry > Pottery > Writing > Alphabet.

The next few turns are mainly improving some tiles around the cities. I send off another settler to found Adrianople to the south of Thessalonica (sp?) - another production city, this time on the coast. It'll be handy for later if I decide to launch an attack across the inland sea. A group of three Barb Warriors decide to descend upon Mecca - I guess those Chariots are of use after all. After Alphabet is done, I decide to go Polytheism > Priesthood for the Oracle > CoL slingshot.

The State of the Empire:

For the next couple of turns:
- Tech IW and Construction for possible war with the Greeks.
- Pyramids to raise the happy cap with Representation? I have Stone, so why not? :p

Attachments

• Margie Thatcher BC-0775.CivBeyondSwordSave
    96 KB · Views: 159
@bhavv

Spoiler :

After 4 tries I concur that rushing Saladin is the only option how to get in this game anywhere. BUT you have to be a bit lucky in his distribution of archers.

At first try he had total 7 archers, 5 of them in cap (wtf???). At second try he had in cap 2 archers, what got to be pain was medina which had 3 archers (I initialy skipped that monstrous site for cap). for those cap 2 archers I had to waste I think 3 chariots to win the rest.
I made a mistake there not realizing he built another city to west and going straight for medina and resting around for military build up. After i realized he has another city west, i sent there immidiately 4 chariots, that lead to him abandoning medina with 1 archer in the open, reducing medina to 2 archers. And that was the breaking point.
Western city was easy with only 1 archer (got there 2 workers free, nice) and after that I finally finished saladin killing medina after some turns.

Immidietaly preparing settler expansion, but since economy is down the drain, i will stuck a bit on 5 cities, have 2 settlers ready in their spots and after the economy catches a bit (workers have to improve land) i will have 7 cities I expect around 900BC will be the right time.

And to 1AD I hope get at least 2-3 more cities, I have enough land. Especially that wheat+gold site to east seems lucrative to pay for itself immidiatly.

I think the game after the rush is on the right course and should be easily won after light expansion.

Monarch Epic, 1010AD regular report, would love some feedback from people here.

Spoiler :

I rushed Saladin as discussed before, expanded, teched, won liberalism race 1k AD. Got 15 cities overall, still some room in empire for more cities, but very uninspiring, except for that furs site, that I initially thought that i will just grow bounds and get eventually furs (not needing more maintenance there).
I have slight tech lead, trying to finish universities around the empire and oxford.
I have relatively big empire now with a lot of cities, that leads me to think that it's better to wait for cavalrys for another war. first target will be naturally pericles which is east.

Mecca will be primary unit pump, with 4 more cities that i will dedicate to production. but mecca will be THE pump.

What would you do in my place other? I am currently teching guilds to get better workshops. next target will be all the techs for cavalry.
Didnt build any wonders this game. probably should try for taj mahal now (maybe it's right time for GA).

I have BIG problem with generating GPP and GPs, since there is no obvious GP farm and food is generally scarce.

Some screenshots of my empire.

Top Bottom