Jamie's Rome Mod

j_mie6

Deity
Jamie's Rome Mod!
Jamie's Rome Mod is my own mod which surprise surprise: is about Ancient Rome!

DOWNLOAD 1.0
DOWNLOAD 1.1
DOWNLOAD 2.0
DOWNLOAD 1.2
DOWNLOAD 1.3.1 - Most recent
thread for 1.3/2.1

Whats in it?

Civilizations
There are 8 different civilizations in the game which are as follows:
Rome - Roman Empire - Praetorian (Swordsman)
Greece - Greek Empire - Phalanx (Spearman)
Egypt - Egyptian Empire - Egyptian War Chariot (Chariot)
Carthage - Cathaginian Empire - Punic War Elephant (War Elephant)
Gaul - Gallic Empire - Woad Warrior (Swordsman)
Brittania - Brython Empire - Celtic Swordsman (Swordsman)
Germania - Germanic Empire - Beserker (Axeman)
The Picts - Pictish Empire - Druid (Axeman)

(the text colour represents their game colour)
Units
There are 24 Units in the game and 8 Unique Units (mentioned above):

Warrior
Spearman
Archer
Swordsman
Cavalry (Horse Archer)
Axeman
Elephant
Chariot
Catapult
Scout
Explorer
Galley
Tririme
Quintririme
Settler
Worker
Spy
Workboat
Advanced Swordsman
Advanced Spearman
Advanced Cavalry
Advanced Archer
Advanced War Elephant
Dromo

Buildings
There are two added buildings to this mod:

Shrine - Every civ has a Unique one of these (shown later) they will provide different benfits

Shipbuilder - An early version of the Drydock provides exp to ships and decreases naval building time

The great wall has been renamed to Hadrian's Wall

Traits
There are 8 new traits, Civ specific, they provide a free promotion for thier civ's units ie: the trait Roman provides all Roman units with the Morale promotion (extra movement)

Roman - Gives Morale
Greek - Gives Commando
Egyptian - Gives City Garrison 1
Carthaginian - Gives Amphibious
Gallic - Gives Combat 1
Celtic - Gives Drill 1
Germanic - Gives City Raider 1
Pictish - Gives Formation

Powers (1.3, 2.1)
There are powers in this mod which run along side the traits and shrines here they are!

Roman - -10% maintenance costs
Greek - Democracy civic available at start
Egyptian - plains tiles +1 food
Carthaginian - sea units +1
Gallic - Cities built on hills receive +10% defence
Celtic - extra unhappiness for conquorers
Germanic - -10% war wariness
Pictish - +1 food from hills in britain

Religion
There are 5 religions ingame: Cristianity, Celtic Polytheism, Roman Polytheism, Greek Polytheism and Judaism. cristianity is only able to spread by missionaries when theology is researched! (1.3, 2.1)

Civics
Some Civics have been renamed and some have been disabled (authough using wonders the missing Civics from Government and Religion can be obtained! The list of available ones are:

Despotism
Monarchy
Republic (Representation)
Dictatorship (Police State)
Democracy (Universal Sufferage)

Barbarianism
Beurocracy
Imperial Service (Nationalism)

Tribalism
Slavery
Caste System

Decentralization
Mercantilism
Free Market
Independant States (State Property)

Paganism
Organized Religion
Theology
Pacifism

Shrines
The Shrine benifits are out of:
Happiness
Health
Production %age boost
Experience
Research boost
Commerce boost

Feautures (1.3, 2.1)
there are 2 new feautres (aside from rebellion, senate(coming soon) and events) these are: Catapult contruction and commandeering
Catapult contruction is where a swordsman or an advanced swordsman can sit in a forest and build a catapult for some money and the removal of the forest! only in allied territory (forgot whether neutral)
Comandeering is where a Quintrireme has a chance to take an enemy ship apon victory! Barbarians cannot do this!

Events/Rebellions(1.3, 2.1)
There are a few events built into the game such as the macedonian rebellion which are just there for fun really! One of the biggest feautres in the mod is Rebellions where more info can be found within the civlopedias mod concepts page!

The Map
The map is set in:
Spoiler :

The sea in the top Right is there because if it was land domination becomes almost impossible!

Languages
Currently I am only going to make it in English, French and German but I will be working on adding Italian and Spanish. There may be some mistakes in all languages exept English.

Misc
The mod has a Classical Cap on it but has the following medieval techs:- Civil Service, Theology and Philosophy. Due to this there is no map trading, which could be considered a good point as it requires more self-exploration!

The Nile has extra food and commerce around it!

Construction now gives a movement bonus to roads

Special Thanks to...
Pie at (creator of Pie's Ancient Europe) for his help with the artwork and The J (moderator) for telling me how to post this! Also to google for it's language tools :). Asaf and Baldyr have been amazing and have together worked on many of the features present in the mod!

More Screenshots on the next post!

Spoiler :

More screen shots!

Roman Units
Spoiler :

Greek Units
Spoiler :

Brython Units
Spoiler :

Egyptian Units
Spoiler :

Carthaginian Units
Spoiler :

Gallic Units
Spoiler :

Iberian Units
Spoiler :

Pictish Units
Spoiler :

Germanic Units
Spoiler :

Iberia doesn't have a settler because they can't build them!

The units in their respective positions
WE - SE - WO - SC - EX - JM
AWE - CRM - RM - GM - CEM - WA
CA - AX - SP - ASP - SW - ASW
G - AR - AAR - CHA - CAV - ACAV
TRI - QUIN - DRO - WAR

WE = War Elephant
SE = Settler
WO = Worker
SC = Scout
EX = Explorer
JM = Jewish Missionary
AWE = Advanced War Elephant
CRM = Cristian Missionary
RM = Roman Missionary
GM = Greek Missionary
CEM = Celtic Missionary
WA = Warrior
CA = Catapult
AX = Axeman
SP= Spearman
ASP = Advanced Spearman
SW = Swordsman
ASW = Advanced Swordsman
G = Galley
AR = Archer
AAR = Advanced Archer
CHA = Chariot
CAV = Cavalry
ACAV = Advanced Cavalry
TRI = Trireme
QUIN = Quintrireme
DRO = Dromo
WAR = Great General

Looks interesting. A few historical comments:
1. Praetorian should be re-named to Legions.
2. Woad Warrior should be transfered to the Picts as they were the ones who used Woad extensivly. In return transfer the Druid to the Gauls. (Or to the Bretons and give the Gauls the swordsmen.)
3. Brittania shouldn't be called the Celtic Empire. The Celts was a name given to basicaly all of Northern Europe at this time. Just refer to it as the Brythonic (or Breton) Kingdoms.
3a. You shouldn't refer to all factions as 'Empire', expecialy the tribal states.
3b. The Egyptians could be renamed to Ptolemaic Egypt for greater accuracy.
3c. Perhaps add a copy of the Greek faction based out of Antioch to represent the Seleucids.
4. Don't use horse archers as the basic cavalry. Cavalry in this area of Antiquity was either medium shock cavalry of light javelin cavalry.
5. For Eburacum, it should be north of Londinium. I cant remember the exact location of it, but off of memory it could go just north of the horses. If you want to keep a city in Ireland it should probably be Tara. IIRC Dublin didn't become a major area until after the Vikings.
6. For the greek area, I don't remember any city in that area called Apollo, but Larissa should work. I would reccomend moving it south and just west of the copper and rename it Thebes. Or move it north and rename it Pella.
7. Cyprus should be renamed to Salamis.
8. Rename Uticia to Messina. Or move it down to between the Elephant, the hill, and the coast and rename it Hippo Regitus.
9. In the Egyptian screenshot, rename Memphis to Gaza. Or move it north and inland to be Jerusalem and put Judaism there instead of Thebes. Thebes should be renamed to Alexandria anyway and be on the other side of the Nile.
10. Vienna should either be moved west or south to represent Toulouse (or whatever it was called.) Or you could move it into Northern Italy and located roughly were Milan is and rename it to Mediolanum.
11. Trier is too far north. That location would probably be part of the Burgundii tribe or Gothii. I would however reccomend moving it south and east of wherever the Rhine is and name it Cherusci. Where is the Rhine/Danube here anyhow?
12. For the units, Bakuel has put out alot of nice Germanic, Gallic, and Roman/Greek units. You might want to use those instead of the default BTS ones.

well apollo is apollonia I forgot to rename it and I didn't really go for exact historical acuracy

I wanted the swordsmen to belong to gaul and briton

forgot the rhine

Messina as far as I know is north of syracuse

I wanted 8 civs but Antioch is on there!

I am surprised you didn't comment on massila... it is meant to be in the passage between italy and france...

Thanks for Salamis (I might post the senario again taking in your notes if you want, for the cities)

funly enought Tara is one of the britons cities! I forgot to change the name of Ebaracum

Are you happy with the SHAPE of the map?

And the horse archers only apply to Rome, Greece and Carthage because they look cool, when I put horse archer in brackets it was because thts what they replaced in the original game

forgot the rhine
Is the Danube there?
Messina as far as I know is north of syracuse
Perhaps. I'll have to quick fire up RFRE to check.
Are you happy with the SHAPE of the map?
Its a bit malformed in areas but on the whole pretty good. I thing you went a bit mountain crazy in the Pyrennies and Alps.
And the horse archers only apply to Rome, Greece and Carthage because they look cool, when I put horse archer in brackets it was because thts what they replaced in the original game
Okay. I just wanted to point out that native Horse Archers were basicaly not used by 'Hellenistic' civs until the Crisis of the Third Century.

Perhaps you could move the Picts into the Middle East and rename them to the Parthians? The Parthians were a major power in the region. The Picts weren't that influential. I don't remember my Brythonic history that well, but I think that they weren't too culturaly different from the Bretons. IIRC the Picts only became a 'cultural' group was after Hadrians Wall isolated them.

well... I could make a parthian civilization but that would require a new leader and I hate the diplo infos lol. But I culd work on that eventuly if you would like. no Danube :( have you downloaded it?

i would advocate you to make a new map with an atlas (;)) and a little bit better seeded ressources (the water resources with an distant of 3 fields to the next coast cant be used). more realms like macedonia, dacia, iberian tribes, seleucids, numidians, pontos, armenia or others.

8. Rename Uticia to Messina.

messina was/is on the east coast of sicilia, lilybaeum would be better :)

Lilybaeum was exactaly what I thought!!!

with the resources I just love there being lots of them even if they are fail fish! I just think having lots makes the sea look more inviting :D

I was going to add in barbarian style civs which could not be contacted for places like dacia, Greek Colonies etc but I couldn't get it to work (the option to place cities for them would not work) so I gave up...

I might work on a second map with a more accuracy (with an atlas), but I am still proud of my current map :- best work I have ever done map wise! Authough I can never seem to ever fit Sicily in the right place, same happened in my italian mod

Also more civs make it slower hence my 8 civs at a time rule (which applies to all my mods :D)

I have started work on version 2.0 this will include a reworked map, loss of the picts but the mod will recieve 2 new civs: The Selucid Empire and The Parthian Empire (the Parthians have their own flag, big improvment on 1.0: New Art!). I will soon start work on version 1.1 which will be 1.0 (picts in it) but with new flags (hopefully) and a reworked map!
Full Development list
Spoiler :
1.1 = More accurate map (and the old one too), hopefully some new flags, fixing civic oddities (corporations are pointless in the civics),possible removal of asian wonders; including the great wall! possible removal of diplomatic victory?

2.0 = More accurate map, A 1.0 style map, removal of the picts, addition of Parthia and Selucidia, new flags, fixing civic oddities (corporations are pointless in the civics),possible removal of asian wonders; including the great wall!(Hadrian's wall could be added) possible removal of diplomatic victory?(or people could use custom senario)

hmmm well.... I don't know about that because I don't really know how to merge mods and i don't really know what to think of mercinaries I just don't understand how it works...

might be while because I am making the exact same map for 2.0 but because of new civs I have to make it again square by square something like 51 by 84 so over 2500 squares!!! ( tried doing it with xml but it failed on me...)

Why is Russia under what? lol Nevermind, I saw it ;)

you came just in time :D just about to load 2.0!!

(well after diner!)

Top Bottom