Advanced Ice Nodes Modcomp

TC01

Deity
Advanced Ice Nodes v0.8
For Fall from Heaven 2 0.41n

Recently, I've gotten back to playing mostly Fall from Heaven 2 (well, assorted modmods of it) again, and I've realized that I'm not really happy with the way Ice Mana Nodes are implemented in any major mod. Some (like FFH 2 itself) block their construction, whereas others (like FF) allow it to be constructed just like all the other elemental ice nodes.

And then I had an idea for another ice-related component (which will probably end up as another component of the Frozen mod) that would set up a system where Ice Nodes could only be built after one of a series of conditions could be met. Currently, those conditions are two rituals, both of which are only buildable by the Illians due to their requirements. Eventually I'd like to add another possible way which would not be Illian-specific (maybe based off a lair exploration result or event?) but I decided to release the prototype of this now.

Once one civ (in this case, the Illians) enables Ice Nodes, they are enabled for all players.

Features:
  • Ascension now enables the construction of Ice Nodes for all players
  • New ritual called Rekindle the Ice Sphere that also enables construction of Ice Nodes for all players also
  • Rekindle the Ice Sphere requires Sorcery, 2 sources of Ice Mana, and five Mage Guilds throughout your empire.
  • Ice Nodes themselves can only be constructed by a Mage (a unit with Channeling II or higher).
  • Ice Nodes require both the Elementalism and Sorcery techs to construct.
  • Pedia concept article with information about this mechanic has been added.
Download Here

To Install:

There are two ways to install- either by making a new mod folder (called FFH Advanced Ice Nodes) or overwriting the original mod folder. I recommend the former, as it will not overwrite your original files.

Either:

1. Copy your Fall from Heaven 2 mod folder and rename it FFH Advanced Ice Nodes.

2. Copy the FFH Advanced Ice Nodes folder from the download into your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder to overwrite the copy.

Or:

1. Rename the FFH Advanced Ice Nodes folder from the download to Fall from Heaven 2.

2. Copy the renamed folder from the download into your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder to overwrite the copy.

If you want to run this mod with my Blizzards modcomp, the two are completely compatible- they don't edit the same files.

Credits:

-TC01

-Fall from Heaven 2 Team (making FFH 2)
-Fall Further Team (implementing Ice Nodes, and thus giving me the idea)

-Firaxis/2K Games (makers of Civ 4 and BTS)

Neat idea. What if the Rekindle the Ice Sphere ritual also caused a mini, but permanent, version of the Deepening. After all, there's a price to pay for messing about with powerful magics!

Neat idea. What if the Rekindle the Ice Sphere ritual also caused a mini, but permanent, version of the Deepening. After all, there's a price to pay for messing about with powerful magics!

That's a good idea- but I think it would be better if it was temporary, like the real Deepening.

Although, it wouldn't be much of a price for the Illians...

Did you change it that Illians start with Ice mana? Cause else why should the Illians want to allow others to use Ice mana for which they have a monopol? Maybe make it so that for every ice mana in the world ice starts to spread. Then other civs have a choice. Get Ice mana but at the same time it will make the Illians/Frozen stronger.

Did you change it that Illians start with Ice mana? Cause else why should the Illians want to allow others to use Ice mana for which they have a monopol? Maybe make it so that for every ice mana in the world ice starts to spread. Then other civs have a choice. Get Ice mana but at the same time it will make the Illians/Frozen stronger.

It was my impression that any civ could cast Rekindle the Ice Sphere.

In theory, yes.

At present, no. Because the ritual requires two sources of ice mana and you can't get that at present, so it does require the Illians.

What I'm thinking of doing, though, is making an artifact (retrieved from dungeon exploration, perhaps) that lets you turn raw mana into ice mana, consuming the artifact. (Thus creating a second source of ice mana possible for non-Illian civs)

Of course, if I ported this to Wild Mana, it might be much simpler just to make Wild Ice Mana be the source of a second piece of ice mana. (Or both).

Or, there could even be more features added to ice mana to make having 2+ ice nodes valuable (for another reason other than giving your Mages and Archmages Ice II and Ice III from the start), and thus giving the Illians a reason to want it. Like Sephi's idea of Ice Nodes slowly spreading ice.

But that's why this is 0.8 and not 1.0. It's not finished yet.

I have a question for you... Why do you dislike the fact that it is built normally? It is an elemental mana, not special in any way IMO. It is only special in FfH because it is limited to the Illians. That's pretty much it.

Flavor/Lore thing probably. With god of winter dead, ice mana is harder to get. I remember gods channeling mana in some way.

I have a question for you... Why do you dislike the fact that it is built normally? It is an elemental mana, not special in any way IMO. It is only special in FfH because it is limited to the Illians. That's pretty much it.

As Kalina says, yes, it's really a lore thing. According to the lore, ice mana should be impossible to get because of Mulcarn's death. That's why it's restricted to the Illian palace mana and Letum Frigus (which I think, according to the lore, is already pushing it a bit).

I know lore shouldn't be the overriding factor when making a mod- it should be what works mechanics/balance wise. But it should definitely be involved- assuming, that is, your overall intention is to follow the lore. Which mine is.

But I did feel that it was a good idea to have ice mana available to other civs, which is why I've started working on this- ways to get ice mana that bend, rather than break, the lore.

I would definitely use it as the Illians. Ice Elementals would be amazing if you could build multiple ice nodes, and with the priests and a source of ice from the palace you have a head start in using them.

Oh wow, I'd almost forgotten about this modcomp.

I really need to finish this and get it to compatibility with 0.41o. Thanks for reminding me...

Top Bottom