Need some opinions :/

D712

Queen
I am worried about Civ 5. I REALLY want it. But Idk if i can run it. The following requirements dont meet what they say Civ 4 needed, but Civ 4 runs extremly smooth on my computer. Its truely remarkable :) but I was wondering if these specs could run Civ 5:

Machine name: STUDIO
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio 1745
BIOS: Ver 1.00 A01
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4056MB RAM
Page File: 2351MB used, 5760MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Doesn't look like you have any dedicated GPU (video card), so don't count on it. Even if you manage to get it to run, the performance will probably be bad.

Do you know if there is a video card that just isn't being listed in this spec page?
Is it the Dell Studio laptop or desktop?

its a dell studio laptop

yea im not sure exactly what i have. but what i did was saved a 64-bit dxdiag of my computer and the first post was the generic first info. in the saved report i found a section called "display devices". im not technologically gifted. here is what the display devices said:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_02EA1028&REV_07
Display Memory: 1695 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1663 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LGD021D
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.085Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1808 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.1808
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/2/2009 23:16:48, 5613568 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6902-11CF-8874-E022A7C2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2A42
SubSys ID: 0x02EA1028
Revision ID: 0x0007
Driver Strong Name: oem11.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64:iCNT0:8.15.10.1808:pci\ven_8086&dev_2a42
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Did you recently buy this from Dell. If so, the paper documentation should have the video (graphics) card on it. Anything with 500mb or 1GB should be fine. Your other specs are far and above what civ4 required.

Just noticed in your original post your pute has DX11. You therefore should have a video card capable of running Civ5 in its highest graphic settings.

oh haha well i only said that his didnt meet civ 4 was because canyourunit.com said my computer would fail miserably on bts. is "integrated intel graphics media accelerator 4500mhd" a graphics card?

(once again proof im clueless haha)

oh haha well i only said that his didnt meet civ 4 was because canyourunit.com said my computer would fail miserably on bts. is "integrated intel graphics media accelerator 4500mhd" a graphics card?

(once again proof im clueless haha)

Now I'm not so sure. Will have to leave this one up to the techies. i dont know if this will work or not. Sorry.

what do you mean? what changed what you thought?

well yeah it runs super smooth. i am also able to play empire: total war
and napoleon total war.

i never do real time battles. i always auto resolve.

That's no way to play a Total War game, half the fun is in the battles, the turn based part is usually barely enticing enough to keep me interested. It's all just leading up to war.

In response to your questions though, I highly doubt your computer will be able to run Civ V, simply because, as others have stated, your integrated card. If you have the option to get just a better card it might work better, otherwise you may be looking for a newer rig.

If you're getting a new rig, I would wait until the official specs are released so you know exactly what you need.

If your able to run all those games smoothly,I would say you should be alright.I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I do hate integrated cards though,had one once never will again.

well i just tried a battle and it looks really good. when im zoomed out the people dont like to good. seem to not be moving there feet. but when i zoom in a get good detail, can see their faces, and see their interactions in battle. and is there a way to get another card? and dosent it cost alot of money?

well i just tried a battle and it looks really good. when im zoomed out the people dont like to good. seem to not be moving there feet. but when i zoom in a get good detail, can see their faces, and see their interactions in battle. and is there a way to get another card? and dosent it cost alot of money?

It's really hard to tell with your description without some kind of objective benchmark or at least your framerate during that sequence of gameplay.

Sadly, you can't upgrade a notebook's GPU. Well, I mean there are ways, but the process is expensive and ultimately not worth it and will most definitely void your warranty.

idk how to find that stuff you said. all i know is that i could (at the most zoomed in position) could see very detailed little people fighting and shooting. my computer is really weird, it plays these games pretty well. and civ 4 plays like a dream on here. i just dont understand why everything says it shouldnt work and it does :/

All right. Took a quick look, since for some reason I just have to find out stuff.

Red Dell Studio 17 laptops have multi-touch screen... :love:
Mayhaps I should consider my current laptop oldish?

Anyway, I guess you have an integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics processor. It's decent, and is supposed to allow you to play games to some extent, but it uses the system memory. Perfect for HD movies.

It seems, if we go back to games released until, say 2005 :mischief:, several games may actually be able to run, albeit in low settings.

The rest of your system is good, and the GPU support DX11. However, I don't think you can expect to run Civ5 smoothly on low settings, let alone with good graphics!

But you say Civ4 runs smoothly? What graphic settings are you using now?

Top Bottom