Try-05: Ludicrous Speed!

Trynthlas

King
Got the Civ itch again after work knocked me out and life got busy. Played BotM-31 and 32 is in progress, although failing miserably (I did pretty poorly with the Renaissance start). Looks like all the SGs in progress are full up, so let's see who's game for a fresh one!

Difficulty will be Monarch, other settings and such are detailed below. Game will be played in BTS using BUFFY 3.19.003 (the current HOF version), which can be downloaded here.

Standard series rules/etiquette (credit to others of course):
Spoiler :
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

The goal of this specific SG is to keep things moving quickly (hence the title). So, check below for specific modifications to the above rules for this game:
Spoiler :
ONE: 24/48 is out. You have 24 hours to 'got it' and 24 hours from that point to play AND post a report. 24 hours without a 'got it' = next player grabs the save. 24 hours without a post after a got it = next player grabs the save. Keep it moving!

TWO: Because of the above, be able to post something at least once a day, even if it is not your turn.

Game Setup
  • Monarch Difficulty
  • Normal Speed
  • Standard Size
  • 6 AI
  • Custom Continents, Random #
  • Choose Religions ('cause I like it)

Our leader:
Spoiler :

The start:
Spoiler :

Specific Rules for the Team:
1) In tribute to Spaceballs, we are Dark Helmet! For those who enjoy it, posts should be Spaceballs or specifically Dark Helmet flavored :crazyeye:
2) Learn from each other (and any lurkers), play fast, and have fun! Win by any means possible...although as Dark Helmet, conquest/domination is likely.

Roster
=======
Trynthlas
Asaf
Mighty Dwarf
<open>
<open>
<open>

<alt>

Save to be posted as soon as the roster is full. Pre-game should be done between first signup and that point :D

Attachments

• leader.jpg
    leader.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 733
  • start.jpg
    start.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 690
It's been years since I last watched Spaceballs...
Should watch it again sometime soon.

Sign me in!
Not sure about posting something every day, but I'll do my best.

BTW, I've never used BUFFY. Does the installer install it as a MOD or in the custom assets folder?

Starting position: Oh come on. This is too easy. Comb the desert :lol:

Move the scout 2N 1W to see if we have a good resources in the north. Only wheat and cow are relevant for a while, so I'd prefer to find more resources we could use early.

Mine is installed under C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUFFY-3.19.003 so I'm guessing a mod :)

"Yes sir! Comb the desert!"

"Combing the desert!"

:confused:

Umm, no desert here sir, just lots of trees.

Spoiler :

I'm inclined to settle 1N on the coast (where it is suggesting) with a bet that we will have copper, iron, or horses in the BFC at that point.

Ooh... looks like a tough area up north.
I can't really see - is the settler on hills now?
I suggest settle in place so we can use the flood plains.

Great name for a game. Of course, I'm irresponsible so would be one of the worst possible matches for a game that needs attentive players. Still, I'll lurk for the Schwartz references.

Just remember to always drink coffee when you look at RADAR.

Settler is on a hill currently, and in place only nets us one FP which, sure, gives a tiny boost up front but I don't think its that valuable. Also, building a city 1 tile away from coast access is bad juju I thinks (less bad when there would only be 1 water tile in the BFC, but still...). 1N also shouldn't earn us any tundra in the BFC, just more trees to chop down.

Those are my thoughts, but I'm rusty, so feel free to correct em!

Good to have ya lurking, Rex :)

True about the coast, and it would give us more production, but we'll be a little commerce deprived here.
But it's not that critical that I'll put my helmet down for it (mixing metaphors again? ;) )
Both options have advantages.

Let's see what other space balls have to say.

If you want this to be truly ludicrous speed, you could set game-speed to Quick.... *random suggestion*

Edit: Oh, you already have a save file. Never mind me, then, I'm just an A--hole.

If you want this to be truly ludicrous speed, you could set game-speed to Quick.... *random suggestion*

Edit: Oh, you already have a save file. Never mind me, then, I'm just an A--hole.

:lol: I thought about it, but quick-speed games seem to change the dynamics a lot vs Normal or Epic (and Marathon also has a big effect, but different) so I wanted to keep it like a normal SG, just played faster!

Are you requiring a PPP before each round, or just post a "got it" and play on?

Good to see you Try! Was a lot of fun on the other SGs we played together.

No big post on "I'm going to do this" before the round, but there should be about 24 hours-worth of discussion time between one play summary and the next person's playing turns in which to discuss that round and then the next moves.

cripp, you want in?

That's what I'm thinking, Mighty Dwarf :) I'll add you!

Game will launch tomorrow, even if we're under-staffed!

Roster thus far (play order):
============
Trynthlas
Asaf
Mighty Dwarf

My current plan: settle 1N and tech Mining -> BW and hope for nearby metals. Build worker first to get the corn and other farms started, then a warrior. Depending on # turns played (not likely a lot) I may start a settler to go grab the floodplains area. Thoughts?

I suggest teching AH first for the cows (food + production!), and then go to mining -> BW.

We also have both pre-reqs, so it'll take faster.

Great name for a game. Of course, I'm irresponsible so would be one of the worst possible matches for a game that needs attentive players. Still, I'll lurk for the Schwartz references.

Just remember to always drink coffee when you look at RADAR.

what's all that churning and bubbling? You call that a radar?!?

No sir! we call it: Mr Coffee!

as w/rex, i would LOVE to play this but can NOT commit to any sort of punctuality

Alrighty - horses and cows before metal for the Spaceballs it is!

Since I'm on and have a bit o free time at the moment (yay for that!) I'm going to 'got it' and play a set tonight. Report to come ASAP after that, no later than 24 hours from now.

Roster (play order)
==========
Trynthlas
Asaf
Mighty Dwarf
cripp7

Still room if anyone else would like to join! pholk, sorry to miss ya :(

Wooo fast round!

"...we're gonna have to go right to . . . ludicrous speed!"
"Ludicrous speed?! Sir, we've never gone that fast before."

"Ludicrous speed . . . go!"

I played to the end of turn 25.

Moved 1N and settled there as planned, thus founding the glorious city of Spaceball One :king:
Spoiler :

Popped 3 Goody Huts, all for gold.
Built: Worker -> Warrior -> Warrior -> 1 turn of Ikhanda (barracks, I did this so we could get to pop 3 before starting a settler) -> plugged in settler (no turns spent on it yet)
Teched: AH -> Mining -> BW (still in progress)

Our scout went on a much more interesting journey than I thought we'd have heading up to the Northwest, discovering some actual usable land! :eek: He discovered the borders of another civilization, but before we could make contact he was promptly eaten by a pack of lions.

Confucianism was founded IBT 8-9 (remember choose religions is on).
Christianity was founded IBT 15-16.

Our worker built a farm for the wheat, then a pasture for the cows, and is creating a farm on the riverside grasslands for more food.

This left Spaceball One looking like so:
Spoiler Spaceball One :

And thus the state of the known world of Planet Spaceball.
Spoiler world at turn 25 :

My thoughts...
Tech path: BW -> Wheel -> Pottery, then towards Priesthood for Oracle?

Need a bit more exploration before I'd feel comfortable plotting a second city site, specifically to see what the rest of the area around those floodplains looks like.

Builds: Settler -> Barracks + Scout or warrior (while growing to 4) -> Worker

Roster
======
Trynthlas
Asaf
Mighty Dwarf
cripp7

Attachments

• Dark Helmet BC-3000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    74.4 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom