Salt resource?

The thread is to ask whether there should be a salt resource in the game, it would have some effect on a city's ability to store food.

From wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_salt ) :

Salt's ability to preserve food was a foundation of civilization. It eliminated the dependence on the seasonal availability of food and it allowed travel over long distances. However, salt was difficult to obtain, and so it was a highly valued trade item, which followed the pull of economics along salt roads such as the via Salaria in Italy, some of which had been established in the Bronze age.

Already in the early years of the Roman Republic, with the growth of the city of Rome, roads were built to make transportation of salt to the capital city easier. An example was the Via Salaria (originally a Sabine trail), leading from Rome to the Adriatic Sea. The Adriatic Sea, having a higher salinity due to its shallow depth, had more productive solar ponds compared with those of the Tyrrhenian Sea, much closer to Rome.

During the late Roman Empire and throughout the Middle Ages salt was a precious commodity carried along the salt roads into the heartland of the Germanic tribes. Caravans consisting of as many as forty thousand camels traversed four hundred miles of the Sahara bearing salt to inland markets in the Sahel, sometimes trading salt for slaves: Timbuktu was a huge salt and slave market.

Cities and wars

Salt has played a prominent role in determining the power and location of the world's great cities. Liverpool rose from just a small English port to become the prime exporting port for the salt dug in the great Cheshire salt mines and thus became the entrepôt for much of the world's salt in the 1800s [1].

Salt created and destroyed empires. The salt mines of Poland led to a vast kingdom in the 1500s, only to be destroyed when Germans brought in sea salt (to most of the world, considered superior to rock salt). Venice fought and won a war with Genoa over salt. However, Genovites Christopher Columbus and Giovanni Caboto would later destroy the Mediterranean trade by introducing the New World to the market[1] .

Cities, states and duchies along the salt roads exacted heavy duties and taxes for the salt passing through their territories. This practice even caused the formation of cities, such as the city of Munich in 1158, when the then Duke of Bavaria, Henry the Lion, decided that the bishops of Freising no longer needed their salt revenue [1].

The gabelle—a hated French salt tax—was enacted in 1286 and maintained until 1790. Because of the gabelles, common salt was of such a high value that it caused mass population shifts and exodus, attracted invaders and caused wars. [1]

During many wars in American history, salt has been a major factor in the outcome. In the Revolutionary War, the British used Tories to intercept the rebels' salt supply and destroy their ability to preserve food.[1] During the War of 1812, salt brine was used to pay soldiers in the field, as the government was too poor to pay them with money.[citation needed] Before Lewis and Clark set out for the Louisiana Territory, President Jefferson spoke in his address to Congress about a mountain of salt supposed to lie near the Missouri River, which would have been of immense value. (However, by 1810, new discoveries along the Kanawha and Sandy Rivers had greatly reduced the value of salt.)[citation needed]

During India's independence movement, Mohandas Gandhi organized the Salt Satyagraha protest to demonstrate against the British salt tax.[1]

I think I remember some ancient civilizations that uses salt as currencies.

Also, in medieval China, there used to be a salt tax, and only government appointed traders could trade in salt, causing high salt prices. There are plenty of chinese stories where Robin Hood style bandits would robbed the salt caravans and distribute the riches to the poor... heh heh heh...

And shouldn't there be a tea resource as well? As a luxury resource. After all, the British came to India for its Spices, Cotton and Tea, and China for Silk and Tea. And in the earlier days, tea is worth it weight in Silver (to the British).

I think I remember some ancient civilizations that uses salt as currencies.

Roman soldiers were paid in salt, its where the word 'salary' comes from -- 'sal' meaning salt in Latin.

And shouldn't there be a tea resource as well? As a luxury resource. After all, the British came to India for its Spices, Cotton and Tea, and China for Silk and Tea. And in the earlier days, tea is worth it weight in Silver (to the British).

Sugar was also an important luxury. And it would be interesting to see corn / sugar be used for ethanol production in the late game... I'm particularly asking about salt though because it was essential to survival

I never put any thought as salt as a civ resource. That's a great Idea. As it was said above rome paid legions in salt. Wars were fought over salt. Salt could add to the health of a city.

Quick off topic. Salt A World History, by Mark Kurlansky. Not finished reading it yet. It's good so far.

As it was said above rome paid legions in salt.

That's what I thought.. the Wiki article says its a misconception and the word 'salary' comes from the fact that the payment was given to buy salt. Wikipedia says though that it was used as payment by the US govt in the War of 1812.

The most realistic way to have salt in the game would be to have some type of 'diet' system like you see in games like Imperialism. ie, at least two types of foods, grains and game/farm meat, to store grains you would need a granary, while to store meat you'd need salt.

I don't know if that would be too complicated for people's liking though

I never put any thought as salt as a civ resource. That's a great Idea. As it was said above rome paid legions in salt. Wars were fought over salt. Salt could add to the health of a city.

You might even say they were paid a... SALARY:crazyeye:

Do cities even still have health? I haven't seen any sign of it.

(back on topic) Salt would be a cool resource, but so would olive oil, perfumes, porcelain, glassware, medicines, resins, paper, pitch, tools, weapons... slaves...

cocaine... :-/

Salt as a priority though.... maybe a free teabag in the boxed version to get you started! :D

i'd like to see salt in, as it was a very important ressource historically.

I think salt should be a resource in the game which becomes obsolete in the industrial age. Although salt will always be a necessity, after a point, it loses its relative strategic importance as it became widely available. Salt was much too essential for early civilizations to be ignored in the game, I think. But today we are not likely to see wars fought over salt anytime soon.

Top Bottom